Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview PAX Prime 2015 Interview Roundup: Pillars of Eternity, BattleTech, Banner Saga 2

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Are you nerds so starved for human interaction that you must LARP some shallow and derived bullshit of a romance? Fucking 'ell....

Not really. I have more human interaction than I want. My point is that with romance you have more dialogue, content and choices. The same thing applies to housing.

You want romance? Read a romance novels you pathetic man-babies.

Do you want combat? Read a military history book. Do you want dialogues? Read a fucking novel. I can do this all day.

Mustawd

Not really. I have more human interaction than I want. My point is that with romance you have more dialogue, content and choices. The same thing applies to housing.

Do you want combat? Read a military history book. Do you want dialogues? Read a fucking novel. I can do this all day.

Dude...romances are fucking stupid..just admit it...

Archibald

Arcane

I'd rather "more dialogue, content and choices" wasn't juvenile bullshit like romances.

almondblight

Arcane
They don't need to be implemented as juvenile bullshit, you know. A romance don't need to have BG2 or DA:O's level of writing.

Actual romances could be interesting. Start a romance with your cleric, your wizard gets jealous and leaves the party, then later on your cleric leaves you for some noble (taking your best loot with them).

But there's plenty of other things - family, friends, hobbies, a career - missing from most RPGs that could be added to make things more interesting.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
They don't need to be implemented as juvenile bullshit, you know. A romance don't need to have BG2 or DA:O's level of writing.
Point me towards an rpg that has managed that... I doubt there is one.

One of the best romantic moments in gaming is not even in an rpg or an adventure game, but in an fps. The relationship between the main character and his girlfriend in the darkness 1 is quite well done, with the highlight being the watching TV moment between the two.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I agree with you but romances invariably take away attention from the rest of the story and most of the time are optional content so they can't even be integrated to the main plot. Look to Bioware games, every single one of them have awful plots, illogical plots with plot holes the size of black holes and melodrama that make anyone one with a sliver of taste cringe but because they have Waifus, people don't give a shit to any of that and just go on forums to debate endless about who is the best waifu.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
But there's plenty of other things - family, friends, hobbies, a career - missing from most RPGs that could be added to make things more interesting.

Then the haters will say that you want this only because you have no family, no friends, no hobbies and no carrier – and if you want housing you must be homeless. I think that it’s quite telling about some (not all) people that argue that way: they see cRPGs as form of macho escapist entertainment that fulfill what they don’t have in real life. I WANT TO BE A GREAT WARRIOR IN AN EPIC ADVENTURE, because my life is so boring! I have romances in real life, therefore romances in games suck! Of course, in most cases, the motivation is despite towards Bioware’s fans, but that is completely irrational.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I agree with you but romances invariably take away attention from the rest of the story and most of the time are optional content so they can't even be integrated to the main plot. Look to Bioware games, every single one of them have awful plots, illogical plots with plot holes the size of black holes and melodrama that make anyone one with a sliver of taste cringe but because they have Waifus, people don't give a shit to any of that and just go on forums to debate endless about who is the best waifu.

But we have a lot of optional content in most cRPGs that take away attention from the rest of the story and people love this. Can you look at the amount of butsores caused by AoD’s no filler policy and tell me that most people don’t want this stuff? Imagine that things were different: Bioware never implemented any romances, the causals never got interested in games and the grognards rule supreme. Do you think that in that world the topic “romance” would generate any controversy? Of course not. This is a social stuff: we criticize romances BECAUSE OF THEM.

Weasel
I think that it’s quite telling about some (not all) people that argue that way: they see cRPGs as form of macho escapist entertainment that fulfill what they don’t have in real life.

Don't really get your point - what's wrong with games being escapist entertainment?

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Because it is a hypocrisy to argue against romance fans that they don’t have human interaction when in fact is the player who says this that want stuff that he doesn’t have in real life.

Weasel
Because it is a hypocrisy to argue against romance fans that they don’t have human interaction when in fact is the player who says this that want stuff that he doesn’t have in real life.

Bioware never implemented any romances, the causals never got interested in games and the grognards rule supreme. Do you think that in that world the topic “romance” would generate any controversy? Of course not. This is a social stuff: we criticize romances BECAUSE OF THEM.

Ok. Although perhaps there are people who don't really want to mow people down with machine guns or roast them with fireballs in real life, but find it fun in a game as they try to overcome challenges. And perhaps some of them find a pixelated sex scene or some mushy dialogue a bit sad and lame compared to real life interaction. Are they really all being hypocritical? Are they really only criticising romances because they hate Bioware fans? Or is it that they just have different taste in games, just as many "romance fans" criticise violence in games.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
I believe the aim the whole time has been to find a new core audience.

Well yeah, they just made it look like they are trying to expand it. I was also cought of guard as I wanted to believe that there is some sort of overaping of desires between audiences.
Josh's ignorance of so many briliant suggestions could not have been accidental. So they milked grognards and screwed them.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Ok. Although perhaps there are people who don't really want to mow people down with machine guns or roast them with fireballs in real life, but find it fun in a game as they try to overcome challenges. And perhaps some of them find a pixelated sex scene or some mushy dialogue a bit sad and lame compared to real life interaction. Are they really all being hypocritical? Are they really only criticising romances because they hate Bioware fans? Or is it that they just have different taste in games, just as many "romance fans" criticise violence in games.

You are misrepresenting their (and our) motivations to prove your point. We don’t want to kill people in real life, but we want to be powerful, be and adventurer in a fantasy world or whatever is that most cRPGs provide. I find embarrassing that I have to argue to prove my point. If cRPGs don’t provide anything that you lack in real life why are you playing them?

Weasel
I find embarrassing that I have to argue to prove my point.
:roll:

I find it embarrassing that I got drawn into romance debate #3479 on the Codex. So I'm off to contemplate this alternate universe where grognards rule supreme in gaming yet romances aren't controversial at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom