Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Paul Neurath to develop Ultima Underworld spiritual successor: Underworld Ascension

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I love the tracing of runes on arx, since it gave magic a real sense of pressure (didn't do a thing about it dominating the game though). But i wouldn't be averse to multiple optional systems (you know, something you select on options, or maybe even ingame, like in ultima 8, where different systems were used by different factions). Hell, throw in the vocal component like that kickstarter game too.

Last edited:

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
* Keep the magic system, or use a Arx Fatalis type magic system. Arx Fatalis' magic system worked for me and added immersion to a FPS RPG, I really liked it (except making certain spells necessary to beat certain mobs.) You can have an option to add Anvil of Dawn type tracing for those too handicapped to handle Arx Fatilis.

:negative:

The tracing of the runes with the mouse was one big obstacle for me when playing Arx... :oops: I really hope this wound NOT have that.

I have the week off this week and I've been using my time by productively playing Anvil of Dawn :(. Missed it when it initially came out, but bought it for $1.50 or so on GOG. They have the magic system like Arx, but the computer traces the spells on the screen for you. That is, Arx enhanced the Anvil of Dawn system. Would an option to use a tracing system, with the option to have the CPU handle it work for you, or would you rather not bother with either?

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
* Doesn't have to be a technological marvel (may not be possible) but Arx Fatalis was "good enough" That is, the genre of FPS dungeons is now old, but not many have even bothered to follow in UU's footsteps, so technological superiority isn't that important.
Yes it is, otherwise don't bother
Your line of thinking gave us U9...
I love the tracing of runes on arx, since it gave magic a real sense of pressure (didn't do a thing about it dominating the game though). But i wouldn't be averse to multiple optional systems (you know, something you select on options, or maybe even ingame, like in ultima 8, where different systems were used by different factions). Hell, throw in the vocal component like that kickstarter game to.
Also, Arx gave one the option to have three spells in the bag, as it were, to help when you are caught by surprise or don't have time. I'm sure newer versions would have feats or player upgrades that allow one to have additional spells waiting or such, but Arx was fine how it was.

Actually, hell, now that you mention it, yeah: make the player trace on the screen while calling out the words of magic into a microphone on their pc. That will add some stress, and have bad stuff happen if you misspeak.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
or maybe even ingame, like in ultim[a 8, where different systems were used by different factions
This is actually the kind of ambitious system I'd like to see. Runes, reagents and symbols for different mage factions

* Doesn't have to be a technological marvel (may not be possible) but Arx Fatalis was "good enough" That is, the genre of FPS dungeons is now old, but not many have even bothered to follow in UU's footsteps, so technological superiority isn't that important.
Yes it is, otherwise don't bother
Your line of thinking gave us U9....
It's probably gonna be terrible anyway, I'd like to at least see them try to make something worthy of the name instead of just riding on UW's legacy

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Whenever I hear the words 'spiritual successor,' I reach for my Browning.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Yeah, those old developers are so great that 20 years later they can't come up with an interesting new concept

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I give him credit for good use of the word 'fallow,' though.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Also, Arx gave one the option to have three spells in the bag, as it were, to help when you are caught by surprise or don't have time. I'm sure newer versions would have feats or player upgrades that allow one to have additional spells waiting or such, but Arx was fine how it was.
I would actually prefer if that feature was stat governed. Like if you're a low int mage you only remember 1 or 0 spells and a high int one 4 or 5. It would become rather strange that a player of skill and daring could play a mongoloid mage, but that's player skill for you.

Actually, hell, now that you mention it, yeah: make the player trace on the screen while calling out the words of magic into a microphone on their pc. That will add some stress, and have bad stuff happen if you misspeak.
Mixing styles is something that could be special for the player (importing modifiers from the verbal system to the rune tracing one etc), but i'd prefer that the base systems work fine by themselves and are developed in the world as antagonistic. Makes stuff more interesting (replays etc). Something like Dragon Age origin stories could work well for this.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
It's probably gonna be terrible anyway, I'd like to at least see them try to make something worthy of the name instead of just riding on UW's legacy
Just looking at it differently than you. I think Arx was good enough. I don't know if that game was technologically superior, but it worked for me. Think that RG got so involved with "technological superiority" that quality suffered. Think that by not focusing on technology, one could reclaim the UW legacy.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
* Keep the magic system, or use a Arx Fatalis type magic system. Arx Fatalis' magic system worked for me and added immersion to a FPS RPG, I really liked it (except making certain spells necessary to beat certain mobs.) You can have an option to add Anvil of Dawn type tracing for those too handicapped to handle Arx Fatilis.

:negative:

The tracing of the runes with the mouse was one big obstacle for me when playing Arx... :oops: I really hope this wound NOT have that.

I have the week off this week and I've been using my time by productively playing Anvil of Dawn :(. Missed it when it initially came out, but bought it for $1.50 or so on GOG. They have the magic system like Arx, but the computer traces the spells on the screen for you. That is, Arx enhanced the Anvil of Dawn system. Would an option to use a tracing system, with the option to have the CPU handle it work for you, or would you rather not bother with either?

Rather leave any "real world" skills out and let my Avatar do all the work :P. I liked the rune gathering system of UU with maybe a set of memorized spells all ready to go, depending on Int, as SCO mentioned.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I liked Arx better. But, since it's obvious Arkane is going to be busy with Dishonored 2, 3, 4, and 5 then this seems like the only hope!

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Arx was a game inspired by UW, not a straight up Underworld game
I'm aware, but I feel it's really the only game that could be considered a successor. Even though there are other FPS RPG's, Arx is probably the only one who bore more than a passing resemblance to UW.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Arx - End of the Sun did not delivered at time, hope ths ne UU will do eet.
Even Keep on the Borderlands finally delivered after long sleep ffs.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
Did not expect this at all. Cautiously hoping for something good to come of this.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Brian Fargo, Chris Roberts, Richard Garriott, David Braben, and now Paul Neurath.

Awaiting Warren Spector's announcement for a spiritual successor to Deus Ex. No pressure bro.

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane
Decline. It's going to be an underground Skyrim simulator, I'm willing to take bets.
It could end being a really shitty game, I dunno, but there isn't proof in the moment that the game will end like a repetitive, shallow, dumbed down piece of crap that needs lots of mods to be somewhat enjoyable.

It's 2014 outside, and the people involved haven't touched a remotely decent RPG in two decades. What other proofs do you need?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom