Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathologic 2 (AKA Pathologic remake)

Perkel

Arcane
I didn't like The Void. Is this game better?
Way better. but i won't go into details now, for my full opinion, read my review

It's different game. Especially game play wise

Though underlying themes are more or less the same. Fighting with unknown, uncovering information, deciding what is true without game telling you what is right answer.

So if he didn't like story/themese/dialogs etc he won't probably like it. If it was gameplay then there is big chance he will like it.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
So if he didn't like story/themese/dialogs etc he won't probably like it.
Probably but not necessary.

The Void is much more abstract, pretentious and artsy-fartsy. Its story is too vague, too open to interpretation

There is a lot of layers in Pathologic story as well. It can be interpreted as a dialogue between player and author or as a parable, but at the same time you can perceive it just as a good mystical story about plague in provincial town if you don't like all this sophisticated stuff.

Where did you see that on the Kickstarter page? I can't seem to find it.
It's in comments.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
So if he didn't like story/themese/dialogs etc he won't probably like it.
Probably but not necessary.

The Void is much more abstract, pretentious and artsy-fartsy. Its story is too vague, too open to interpretation

There is a lot of layers in Pathologic story as well. It can be interpreted as a dialogue between player and author or as a parable, but at the same time you can perceive it just as a good mystical story about plague in provincial town if you don't like all this sophisticated stuff.

Where did you see that on the Kickstarter page? I can't seem to find it.
It's in comments.

Nice. There were supposed to be two more playable characters originally. I really hope they add them.

It should be noted that in the original English translation Pathologic becomes very, very vague and open to interpretation. It's a very interesting bad translation.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
The Void is much more abstract, pretentious and artsy-fartsy.

It ain’t abstract when it is grounded in reality, pretentious when it succeeds, or artsy-fartsy when it got actual content.

Its story is too vague, too open to interpretation

While open to interpretation, it is fairly well delienated. It isn’t one of these instances where “you can see everything you want in it”, and where there is likely nothing to see, because it simply doesn’t allow you to in the first place. Think of The Prisoner or L'année dernière à Marienbad.[/QUOTE]

Perkel

Arcane
I wrote a bit on The Void in other thread. It is fantastic game because it doesn't provide an answer. You have what you have and you interpret it and game doesn't answer if your interpretation is right. What is more interesting is that game is actively trying to hide things and confuse you. So in the end you have entirely your own imagination of what this world presents, who is right who is wrong.

To this day i don't know any game that is so mature in its writing as it makes you actually think for yourself instead of looking for answer provided by developers. IT's kind of a "thing" that literally only game can provide as this is only possible through player interaction which is non existent in other media forms. It's absolutely ridden out of any story bias beside first sister.

edit:

I think i will do LP of The Void.

oscar

Arcane
I'm almost worried a 'good' translation would take away from this game.

Perkel

Arcane
I'm almost worried a 'good' translation would take away from this game.

I don't understand this comment. How not having shitty translation can degrade game ? Isn't that textbook Stockholm syndrome ?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The weird sentences went along well with the weird atmosphere, IMHO... almost like the Plague was breaking their minds.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
maybe I'll give the original a spin. maybe I'll read konjad's review too. or maybe just read the review.

Are you saying you'd rather go read RPS review than mine? Well, fuck off then. I can be called a faggot and a retard, but saying I'm worse than RPS tards is a serious offence. We are no bros.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
That's my boss :bro:

The weird sentences went along well with the weird atmosphere, IMHO... almost like the Plague was breaking their minds.
and it sometimes left things more open to interpretation. It really was interesting to see how that worked together to the better for this game, but from Ice-Pick's perspective I can certainly understand a need to get it fixed.

maybe I'll give the original a spin. maybe I'll read konjad's review too. or maybe just read the review.

Are you saying you'd rather go read RPS review than mine? Well, fuck off then. I can be called a faggot and a retard, but saying I'm worse than RPS tards is a serious offence. We are no bros.
To be fair that RPS writeup is really good. The best writing they ever published (done by a guest writer IIRC?)

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014

I never once mentioned RPS. But since we're no longer bros, I will not read your faggot & retard review.

Malpercio

Arcane
I didn't like The Void. Is this game better?

It's a shitty walking simulator with slow-ass walking speed and shitty forced "survival" mechanics. Interesting setting, though. Too bad it's almost unplayable. Hopefully the remake will fix that.

oscar

Arcane
It enhanced the feeling we're in some weird Russian provincial backwater what makes sense as our characters are outsiders.

A lot of the dialogue was also quite beautiful and poetic due to the subtle 'offness' of how everyone speaks. On the whole I liked it even if was at the occasional expense of clarity.

There's no shortage of games with clear but dull prose.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
High-Resolution screenshots
screenshot.pathologic-ii-2016.1920x1080.2014-09-04.20.jpg

screenshot.pathologic-ii-2016.1920x1080.2014-09-04.15.jpg

screenshot.pathologic-ii-2016.1920x1080.2014-09-04.14.jpg

screenshot.pathologic-ii-2016.1920x1080.2014-09-04.8.jpg

screenshot.pathologic-ii-2016.1920x1080.2014-09-04.6.jpg

screenshot.pathologic-ii-2016.1920x1080.2014-09-04.4.jpg

screenshot.pathologic-ii-2016.1920x1080.2014-09-04.2.jpg

screenshot.pathologic-ii-2016.1920x1080.2014-07-25.1.jpg

There is also a great interview with Nikolai Dybowsky on RU.IGN but it's only in Russian.

Last edited:

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
It enhanced the feeling we're in some weird Russian provincial backwater what makes sense as our characters are outsiders.

A lot of the dialogue was also quite beautiful and poetic due to the subtle 'offness' of how everyone speaks. On the whole I liked it even if was at the occasional expense of clarity.

There's no shortage of games with clear but dull prose.

Yeah, that was the interesting part of the translation. Sometimes it made characters sound like they were hiding something because of how longwinded and evasive the translation made them sound.

Of course, there were serious mistakes in the translation especially during the Devoutress's chapter (I think it was hers at least).

ColCol

Arcane
So, should I play the original. I was waiting to play because I heard the translation was shit (and there was at one time a fan translation coming). Now, I might wait until the remake comes out. Suggestions?

opium fiend

Augur
I never finished the original, I think I'll play it with bachelor and haruspicus and then wait for the remake to do the devotress and what other characters they introduce.

The remake looks really good but the original simply oozes atmosphere

Explorerbc

Arcane
I don't know how to put it, but those new screenshots give me a weird feeling, like they are too ... "clean" or something ?

Perkel

Arcane
185/250k 25 days to go. Yep this is real deal.

I wonder if they will do playable additional characters stretch goals. If they do i doubt it will be at 300k. Probably something like 500k as they would need to add a lot of content.

Still it is kind of amazing that crazy Russian devs released 4 crazy games, each one not being sequel and they are still afloat.
This feels like 97-99 with crazy amount of different games from every dev before suits came into play and fucked up everything.

I fucking hope their next project after remake will be actually project in vein of Pathologic or The Void instead of two other smaller games.

Starwars

Arcane
20 days to go, and 50k needed. Come on come on!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom