Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathologic 2 (AKA Pathologic remake)

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
That slow revolver reloading...

I came. Would have been even better if it was a Nagant 1895 though.

Anyway, it looks the highest stretch goal will be a prequel of sorts, starring other characters. I guess that's how they're going to handle the additional characters stretch goal they hinted at, though since that would be before the Inquisitor arrived, it'll probably be someone different.

Fuck, I need a job and a paycheck so I can donate to this.

Last edited:

ColCol

Arcane
That slow revolver reloading...

I came. Would have been even better if it was a Nagant 1895 though.

Anyway, it looks the highest stretch goal will be a prequel of sorts, starring other characters. I guess that's how they're going to handle the additional characters stretch goal they hinted at, though since that would be before the Inquisitor arrived, it'll probably be someone different.

Fuck, I need a job and a paycheck so I can donate to this.

Shit ,great bros think alike, I love that scene way too much. Watched the KS video more than once to see the revolver scene.

Starwars

Arcane
Fucking A for the revolver loading. So nice.

Trailer was a bit too reliant on the Tragedian figure though. Dunno, I don't find it particularly creepy as seen in the trailer.

Music was nice and unusual.

Whisky

The Solution
Yeah, the Tragedian dancing was the low-point of the trailer, I thought he looked much better in the scene on the steppe, pointing. That's really all they should have had of him, it's contrasting and more interesting. Plus both him and the Plague Doctor Mask dudes (Forget their names) got most of their mileage in the original game by how they're one of the few characters that suddenly appear at different locations.

The rest was primo though.

Starwars

Arcane
The wait for this is gonna be tough. This is one of those things that I really feel like playing right now, but I don't really want to go for the original again.. But 2016? Shit... Hoping they'll finishe earlier.

Whisky

The Solution
Two years away. That's plenty of time to give the original another go. I've only completed the Haruspix scenario, so I think the Bachelor is next for me (Plus it's apparently the most coherantly translated into English).

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
14 days and 20k to go. I expect they'll make it, but stretch goals seem unlikely. A shame, that.

Whisky

The Solution
1368578630217.jpg

Seriously though, Pathologic is probably one of the only games I'll say works better when it's not fun. It's just that kind of game experience walking simulator.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1535515364/pathologic/posts/998377
Hello everybody, I hope you are well. I am Gabriel also known as Meethos, and I am the art director of Pathologic.
28a978a03a9ceff8e3f840fc69f1ee01_large.jpg

Every time I see what your pledges amount to I am overwhelmed with emotion. On the one hand I want to climb an electricity pole, produce a custom-made rosewood-plated oboe and play a vigorous, no-nonsense sarabande. At the same time I feel a strange urge to take a train to the countryside, wait until nightfall, infiltrate a barn and strangle half of the cattle. I am genuinely touched and it is not at all unreasonable to expect me to thank you for supporting the project.

But are you not bored with thanks already? I would rather not beat around the bush referring to "vote of confidence", "realised potential" and all this kind of twaddle. Instead, let us talk about why your support really matters.

Let us talk about crowdfunding, this witty double entendre of a word. There is, indeed, a crowd of backers prepared to invest in a project they like. But there is also a formidable throng of competitors doing their best to get invested in. Where crowdfunding is concerned, small-time indie game development is a room chock-full of people. It takes someone of appreciable height, someone with an aptitude for loud publicity to get noticed. But, as we can see, being a square peg in a round hole works too. However imposing some may be, however stentorian — it is often that quiet, socially awkward kid, a touch-me-not savant who brings the money in. Likewise, some games simply refuse to conform, to follow instruction, to make themselves fully accessible to somewhat unpretentious grasp of a modern lumpen-consumer. These games, I dare say, are the ones worth their salt. Nevertheless, they often struggle to get the attention they deserve.

85569e09cccca37bbcfc62c486f12282_large.jpg

This is where you come in, the gatekeepers. It certainly matters a lot what projects get funded. But it is also of substance which of them do not. Let us take a long, hard look at the gaming situation today. See how regressive, how ruthlessly exploitative it has become? In this ever growing profusion of ham-fisted plots, carbon-copied mechanics, platitudinous settings and borrowed assets, your choice what to back and what not to becomes a meaningful act of cultural resistance. It is an event of magnitude: it gets the message across; it sets the pace; it educates. It ushers in a true Golden Age of independent game development.

For this I am grateful indeed. Thank you for letting us have all these great games in a couple of years.

0940f10ef09089e154a5861358c81967_large.jpg

Now... hold on a moment, what was all this about? As an art director I am supposed to write about the graphics, right? Truth be told, I prefer not to discuss my work before it is done. Noblesse oblige, however, so I will try to relay here some plans and intentions pertinent to a single aspect of Pathologic's visual overhaul.

There are rumours, perhaps apocryphal, that some fans of the original Pathologic would rather have the Town remade as close as possible to that produced a decade ago. From where I am standing, this is hardly feasible: time has passed, and time introduces change. It is a natural process, opposing it is denying evolution, and this is not the course I may be easily persuaded to take. Rather than that, I am inclined to tear the whole place down and reinvent it from scratch. The opportunity afforded by Nikolay's prose is simply staggering, and I believe that merely a fraction of its potential was brought to life in the original game. I hope I will be able to correct this and to transform the Town into a separate, internally coherent semantic unit.

a32fc99d437bf73deabc3210a803e687_large.jpg

There is terror to be found in any habitable space, please reread Ballard's High Rise if you doubt it. In Pathologic, however, the inherently problematic nature of any rigidly organised territory is further aggravated by the particular relations of production the Town is governed by. On the one hand we have a small coterie of local aristocracy with their seemingly profligate lifestyle and its distinctive amusements. On the other hand, the Town is largely populated by those whom Guy Debord describes as "artificial neo-peasantry." Moreover, the city seems to be caught in the middle of the most troublesome stage of its development that sees the values of the working class home with its largely rural nature deliberately substituted with those of emerging bourgeois domesticity. The very fabric of interpersonal interactions within this formation is reconstituted in a manner not at all unlike the cellular level changes sometimes caused by an infectious disease.

The ambition of my work, then, is to make all these factors legible, to draw upon the complex framework of urban psychosis, to mobilise every single construction within the Town as means to bring the drama of Pathologic into sharp focus. This is what should be done and it is, to the best of my knowledge, not impossible.

Take care, everybody, have a great day. Bye bye for now.

Starwars

Arcane
Aaand it made it's goal, excellent! Kinda doubt it will have enough juice to get the first stretch-goal but main thing is that it got funded.

Untermensch

Augur
I see that they also plan on making a Xbone and PS4 version. Is that doable on a 250k budget?(not that I plan to play it on consoles of course)

A lot of game devs over the years said that making a PC and console version is quite a demanding task, not to be undertaken if you're on a small budget.

Whisky

The Solution
The WL2 project update plugged Pathologic today. I can only hope this brings more people who will pour their wallets in at the last minute.

Speaking of which...I just increased it by $65.

I want their fucking map of the town.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I'm hoping that I get a working debit card before this campaign ends. That seems to be the only way I'll be able to pledge money.

Whisky

The Solution
At least they made the expanded town stretch goal.

At least the game will be made.

Where's a Muscovite trust fund baby with nothing better to put money into when you need one?

praetor

Arcane
hopefully they can reach the 2nd stretch goal in 4 hours... *fingers crossed*

a pity Lucid Dreaming and the Termitary/Abattoir won't be reached :(

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
A while back when I finally got a working debit card, I pledged $80. Look for Sexbad in the credits, bithces.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom