Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Fairies sound like a level 0 adventure antagonist.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
What good are spoiler tags when you dumbfucks can't even be arsed.

Anyway, yeah, it's dumb. The basic principle is really sound: who is the antagonist when your main mechanic is expansion and kingdom-building? Nature of course! And sometimes it works really, really well, like when entire settlements just disappear into thin air because fey magic or the land in the form of shamblers and treants and shit start getting up in your shit and you're like "wtf is going on", but townships getting slaughtered by armies of Tinker Bell is less menacing

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
A very accurate plot summary from Reddit if anyone wants to spoil the entire story:

The overall arc is of starting a community that grows into a kingdom in a relatively untamed wilderness, with ever growing threats.

Book 1: Explore the Greenbelt, kill a Bandit leader and establish a settlement. Miss the Book 6 plot hook because nobody is using speak with dead on a random unicorn at really low level.

Book 2: Explore further, deal with a handful of complications like a rampaging Owlbear and unfriendly locals to secure the area for your growing community.

Book 3: Varnhold, another nearby settlement, has vanished. Explore the area and find out what happened.

Book 4: One of your outlying villages is attacked by the settlement to the west. Fly directly there and smack the leader for it, because you are high level now and the hexploration is getting boring (or, you know, "explore the area" etc etc). Then get rid of his barbarian buddies.

Book 5: After a really fun little festival with minigames to play you start the plot. Pitax covets your growing kingdom, and launches an all out war to take it. Nuke their armies from the sky because again, high level. Alternatively raise armies and play a really rolly mass combat mini-game before, you guessed it, exploring the area and defeating the King.

Book 6: Crazy fey magic attacks your land and you have to venture into another plane to defeat this foe. Be super surprised to find out they were the villain all along, because the hints about this are shockingly difficult to come across naturally.

I hope this gives both a plot summary and my opinions. It starts really cool, the hexploration gets a bit boring as things go on, and you need to place a lot more hints if you want the player's to know about the big baddie in Book 6. Really great path overall, probably the most consistently good one they've done, highly recommended.

PrettyDeadman

What good are spoiler tags when you dumbfucks can't even be arsed.

Anyway, yeah, it's dumb. The basic principle is really sound: who is the antagonist when your main mechanic is expansion and kingdom-building? Nature of course! And sometimes it works really, really well, like when entire settlements just disappear into thin air because fey magic or the land in the form of shamblers and treants and shit start getting up in your shit and you're like "wtf is going on", but townships getting slaughtered by armies of Tinker Bell is less menacing
Main enemy of nation-building should be internationalists, globalists, communists, leftists and *ews, not nature.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Gandalf vs. Commies: The Video Game sounds like an enticing proposal

EDIT: I suppose you could view the feys as a collective of gaia hippies, that would fit your bill

PrettyDeadman

First Kickstarter stretchgoal is reached btw!
I wonder if they are going to announce new goals now?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Gandalf vs. Commies: The Video Game sounds like an enticing proposal

EDIT: I suppose you could view the feys as a collective of gaia hippies, that would fit your bill
Or Eco Terrorists. Codex Trumpists just need to imagine them as Muslim terrorists and they can enjoy this game more than anyone.

PrettyDeadman

Will Kodex be able to raise 5,000 dollars to be allowed to design an NPC for this game? That's a lot of money.

Infinitron is a ~trademaster~ maybe they will be able to negotiate a best deal for lesser amount of money.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
maybe we get to murder these guys

gb1rfEw.gif

annoyed me since my first encounter with them in the after school club in 4th grade

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
AD&D Monstrous Manual said:
Some brownies go so far as to become house brownies. They observe the families in a given area, and if one meets their high moral standards, these brownies secretly enter the household. At night, while the residents are asleep, they perform a variety of helpful tasks; spinning, baking bread, repairing farm implements, keeping foxes out of the hen house, mending clothes, and performing other household tasks. If a thief creeps silently into the house, they will make enough noise to awaken the residents.

get the fuck out my house you pesky rodent and stop waking me up in the middle of the goddamned night

laclongquan

Arcane
If instead of Tinkerbell you think of

Massive mosquito the size of your finger.
That will stick you in and let you bleed like a fountain.
That a swarm of it will darken the sky.
That the sound of its flight will make you turn off game's sound.

Yeah, it can be pretty scary.
-----------------------------------
Anyway, regarding kingdom building genre.

Do you know what raise a player's blood pressure in this genre?
A swarm of those creature invade one of the settlement out of nowhere.
One little town that we lovingly send troops to open the way, clean up the bandit, invest the resource to build.
Then those fuckers turn up, massacre our villagers, kill our cattles, then leave.
GENOCIDE! TREE HUGGERS DIE!

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
No matter which buttons I press, I still keep recieving alerts from this thread, ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No matter which buttons I press, I still keep recieving alerts from this thread, ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Just unfollow the thread?

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Unsubscribe plzkthx.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom