Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Nope. A good RPG simply attempts to simulate a living and breathing world. This guy explains it very well.

So what's the difference between an RPG and immersive sim? Consequential decisions and roleplaying options don't matter?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
That's why you don't base your definition of RPG on C&C. Either way, a believable world will have logical consequences of your actions, whether they be narrative, gameplay or setting ones.

Reinhardt

Arcane
So after reading last pages i decided. I'll play as a good christian female lesbian knight and will recruit all females to my party. All male companions will be executed.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Btw, what exactly is MCA's role in this game? And is the "kingdom building" thing going to be more than a gimmick? It sounds exactly like a gimmick. And I hate those.

Morkar Left

Btw, what exactly is MCA's role in this game? And is the "kingdom building" thing going to be more than a gimmick? It sounds exactly like a gimmick. And I hate those.
I guess there will be more to it. I wouldn't expect a hidden manager sim at all but building up your (supposed to become) kingdom will be the central point for your adventures.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It should be kind of like nwn2 but much better with more stuff to do.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The stronghold in NWN2 was good because getting upgrades and NPCs was tied to the actual gameplay, who then in turn helped you out with items and the final battle at the keep. Getting upgrades gave you more quests. Along with that, you had events like the adventuring party that you can send on adventures. It is a gimmick after all, though, but one that was made more intelligently than other attempts at strongholds and was well integrated into the main game. Josh Sawyer said people hated this because it 'gated content'. Just building towns for the hell of it is not the point of this genre, there are better games for that (city-builders, duh). They have to focus less on you playing architect and more on decision-making like in NWN2, f.e. "would you like to build a mage tower or a temple for the Sun Soul monks?".

Cael

Arcane
Also i don't like needlessly killing the players,D&D is mainly about telling stories than killing trash mobs in a dungeon. Still i do fuck them up if they do retarded shit.
You've probably read a few of the retarded shit my players have pulled on me over the years. I've told them here. There are more such stories. Most of them get punished horribly, including one where the entire party was executed for pulling the exact retarded shit they were warned NOT to pull less than an hour (real time) ago.

When the DM tells you via a NPC to NOT reveal you have supernatural abilities in the country you are currently passing through, do NOT test his patience by using supernatural abilities in front of an entire town's worth of baying crowd out for blood...

Developer
There's no reason for concern, MCA has always hated elves (and halflings). :mca:

So right now, my work has been: Revising the story, revising each chapter of the Adventure Path, general feedback, writing the aesthetic/reactive style guides for the game (on-going as new elements appear), and also specc’ing out the technical requirements for dialogue on the design side (for alignment choices, reactivity, etc).

I have also revised a number of written scripts for the game’s vertical slice, and am coordinating with editors in the States to naturalize the English as well. I haven’t altered the structure of the sequences, merely rewritten nodes. While I haven’t done much with the companions yet, that’s actually because I’ve been spending more time on the antagonists in the game and how they interact from chapter to chapter.
He's confirmed to be working on Amiri and Jubilost, but also wanted to work on three other characters.
Sounds like he is doing some writer lead type of job, high level design and coordination. Better than what he did for TToN and other such games.
It is great that Kingmaker team brought in someone of Chris's experience to help them become better at what they do.

(In relation to this, Fairfax dropped me a line and asked, so figured I'd answer here about what I've done on Pathfinder, info, etc. )

So Alexander Mushlin is the Creative Director, Alexander Komzolov is the lead writer. I’m one of the writers reporting to the Alexander(s), but I’m not the lead writer on the game, no, and there are other writers on the project for sure.

This was mentioned before, but I did passes of the story with the Alexander(s) to expand it from the pen-and-paper roots so people who would play the game would still have some new content and we worked out the underlying theme for the story as well (in quoted section). In addition, some elements of the PNP path were taken in new directions to make them more suited for evil playstyles, which was fun.

I also worked with them on setting up the PNP quest arcs with the new companion quest arcs in chapters of the game (the companions add a lot) and gave feedback on the companions as well.

As for writing companions, it was a reverse of Fane from Divinity: Original Sin 2: I got elements of the "goblin rogue" (the companions weren't named at the outset, and I did help with naming companions). From that, was able to flesh out additional elements of his backstory, look, etc. then I wrote Nok-Nok from start to finish. (In Divinity, I only wrote Fane’s backstory, Stephen Rooney wrote the dialogue - it was always the case when talking with Swen that I wouldn't have time to write a companion.) I say a “reverse” from D:OS2 because Nok-Nok’s 1-paragraph character arc had already been approved by Paizo before I came on board (and same with some of the other story elements), but Alexander Komzolov and I agreed to change aspects about Nok-Nok afterwards even though his general arc remained the same (and some specific conclusion to his companion quest).

I also did the background for another companion that the Alexanders were interested in including in the game (he’s the halfling in the portraits with writing on his face), but he didn’t make it in. He wasn’t cut for scoping reasons involving his character (he had a portrait, backstory, and quest arc), but more the Alexanders wanted to make sure we could do the companions we had justice. If he had been included, I would have been writing him as well.

I also did the style guide, the module (on 2nd draft now), helped coordinate some aspects of the editing team (we had two editors who worked on the English versions), helped with UI text, and writing and edits on about 150+ other characters.

I didn’t write Amiri or Jubilost, although I would have been happy to (I was pretty busy on the other aspects, though, so I doubt I would have had time - writing companions can take months).

I like working with Owlcat (and Pathfinder) a lot, it’s been a good experience. I hope more Pathfinder games follow after Kingmaker.

imweasel

I am cautiously optimistic.

Judging from the beta gameplay, they are playing it safe and will actually attempt to recreate the Infinity Engine experience and not mutilate it like Sawyer did.

Last edited by a moderator:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I backed it so i technically already owned it.
I am cautiously excited but i dotn know if i will play it day 1 because i most likely would be still busy with MHworld or dragon quest vii.

Probably good thing to wait for a patch or 3 too

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom