Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Now on YouTube:

Codex fundraiser is LIVE: http://www.rpgcodex.net/campaigns.php?id=20

I'll make a newspost about it later today. Again, you'll get the exact same stuff you would have gotten from the Kickstarter if you pledge through us.

pledges are payable at the end of the fundraiser or something?

Not sure I follow you. We're going to take pledges for a month, then transfer them to Owlcat's PayPal.

PrettyDeadman

Not sure I follow you. We're going to take pledges for a month, then transfer them to Owlcat's PayPal.
Information required to login onto backers website will be send to all who made a donation soon after codex fundraiser campaign ends?

PrettyDeadman

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Cancelled my pledge. The constant updates these past few days annoyed me.

Ah, changed my mind, backed again.

It wasn't the updates really, I bought a shitload of games again last month, most likely never really gonna play most of them, so I'm just pissing away money. Silly. Gotta stop. And I have! But I guess I can make an exception for a Kickstarter, fuck it.

sstacks

Arcane
ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS

We've made an agreement with Owlcat to do a Codex fundraiser. You'll be able to donate through the Codex and get exactly what you would have gotten through Kickstarter.

DU hasn't started the campaign yet, but now you can drop your Kickstarter pledge if you want.

EDIT: No Early Bird prices, of course!

I'll support the game this way to help the Codexian Codexers of Codexness

sstacks

Arcane
This was one of the things that caught my attention and I asked Chris about on the show.

6% for level design. Nothing else seems narrative or writing related? Evidently all writing was lumped under level design?

aaaf8c597cc012602d83cb0e77deac27_original.png

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
Now on YouTube:

Codex fundraiser is LIVE: http://www.rpgcodex.net/campaigns.php?id=20

I'll make a newspost about it later today. Again, you'll get the exact same stuff you would have gotten from the Kickstarter if you pledge through us.

pledges are payable at the end of the fundraiser or something?

What I like most about this demo is that the animation speed is low. That really makes it much more controllable overall. I am going to make a thread about this issue.

PrettyDeadman

This was one of the things that caught my attention and I asked Chris about on the show.
6% for level design. Nothing else seems narrative or writing related? Evidently all writing was lumped under level design?
Writing is probably classified as art assets.
Notice how it's bloated compared to all other categories? Chris Avellone doesn't work for free.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They're putting out these meaty updates until the last second: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-kingmaker/posts/1934368

Dress to kill
Posted by Oleg

The final countdown

Dear Pathfinders,

Looks like this is gonna be the last update we post while the Kickstarter campaign is running.
The goblin companion is still within reach, but we're extremely happy either way. The results of our Kickstarter campaign have been fantastic and our gratitude to you knows no borders! We still have a number of hours to go, so, please, keep on spreading the word.

Watch us play!

If you missed our live-stream with Alexander Mishulin and Chris Avellone, please, check the recording on our official YouTube channel:

The art of dressing up characters

As we set out to develop Pathfinder: Kingmaker (or PFKM for short), we identified the core artistic values that our future game would be based upon. One of these values is the recognizability of the iconic characters created for Pathfinder (or PF) by Wayne Reynolds.

Analyzing their design, we were able to discern the following principles.

Details are made to fit the size in which the player sees the character

3022ffe60223c19ed3992b28fc93f9a2_original.jpg

By comparing the miniatures made by different manufacturers, one sees which solutions work and which don't A - an illustration of the cleric, B - a miniature by WizKids, C - a miniature by Reaper, D - our concept art that transfers the design of the cleric into the video game.

What strikes the eye when looking at the illustrations of characters is the lovingly drawn detail. Transferring the graphic design "as is" and keeping the number and size of different elements is not a good idea, for this might result in visual clutter and pixel flicker. We decided to go down the same path as WizKids when they created the miniatures for the tabletop game. A character's miniature that is standing on the table is at the same distance from the eyes of the player as a character model on the screen.

A character's look is more than just a weapon and armor or a robe, it is also the everyday apparel

ebceda34aa2f8c99afbdcbfb2d55b960_original.jpg

Some of the social clothing: barbarian, cleric, sorcerer, wizard and fighter.

An important feature that sets iconic characters apart from each other is their clothing. This detail reveals the hero's past, their origins and social status. The social clothes are tied to the hero's class and is visible in places not protected by armor. This way, in our game the social dress partially represents the class of the character.

The equipment's design is realistic and functional

01cf6e3298a3028ef1c41f8fd9ef6f75_original.jpg

Wayne Reynolds' designs are realistic and well thought-through, which is represented in class-specific details such as adventurer belts that other gear is attached to. This item is drawn on top of the armor, which means it is always visible, and it is another element that shows the character's class.

An adventurer lives in the open, undertakes long journeys and carries his belongings around

37e7613bd5ea9a09abbf4745439301f9_original.jpg

Each class has a set of items that are handy to bring on an adventure. The hardy and the thrifty travel with large backpacks full of supplies for all of life's emergencies, while the more delicate types and the ascetics make do with a woolen blanket and a small journey bag containing only the bare necessities.

The classes are also represented by class-specific equipment

These are items such as a woolen blanket or a hiking pot. They could belong to any character, but are drawn in a place where they reveal the flavor of a particular class. In our game, each class has a unique combination of a waist belt, a backpack, and something else. For example, all warriors travel with their own mug, which is hung from the belt so that it is always at hand!

There's a holding bag or a sheath for everything

Yes, all weapons and combat items come with scabbards or sheaths, all consumables, be it potions or crossbow bolts, have their own pouches and cases that can be attached to the belt.

The contents of a character's slots directly influences their appearance. All equipment, consumables, and weapons are shown or strive to be shown on the in-game model

957f963bbcbf5b18d9d91eb3ec6a0ae3_original.jpg

Diagram showing all the different ways weapons and equipment can be attached to the character's body.

We've noticed that PF heroes carry all the necessary equipment either with them or on them. Therefore, you can tell what items a character has by just looking at them. Having studied all the illustrations of the iconic characters, we have deduced the common anchor points for all the different types of items and weapons.

All together now

488b96dee79f83aa55a5c0ecf932da22_original.jpg

The four parts of a character's outfit: 1 - social clothing, 2 - armor, 3 - class equipment and 4 - weaponry and consumables.

In conclusion, here's the set of parts that constitute a character's outfit: the first layer consists of class-specific social clothing; after that comes the armor which changes depending on the specific suit of armor the player has picked. On top of the armor comes equipment, which also corresponds to the character's class, and, finally, weaponry and consumables make up the outer-most layer.

The result

Below you can see the in-game models of a male fighter and a female cleric carrying different weapons and clad in progressively better armor. While the models and textures are not final, they nevertheless illustrate the principles and values that we have outlined above.

361de68daadec64b1a86b72559356b9c_original.jpg

(from left to right) A fighter without armor, in leather armor and in full armor.

d4d83427050704a81f492db27d109521_original.jpg

(from left to right) A cleric without armor, in leather armor and in chain mail.
One more thing

Thank you for spreading the word about our game among your friends - we reached new social achievements!

5942b2a1929fd24f96dbfdcc655d3fdf_original.jpg

So now we gained 6 social achievements, which means that the second reward is unlocked.

1f7e7424d59a4501a8fcdadf98d91161_original.jpg

A Silly cheat code will allow you to apply magnificently silly changes to the game like random critters coming out of characters instead of blood when wounded or dressing all companions in the fabulous shirt of our technical director:

301000fa1bfb4c44bb0c2847def04e15_original.png

and some other equally unreasonable but fabulous things.

Hail to the Kings!

Owlcats.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I did my Codexian duty, gents, and donated my $28 to the cause. Besides, I've played this game three times now with a tabletop group and something always happens a few locations in and the group I play with disbands to do something else. And it's not the module's fault, since I feel this is my favorite Paizo adventure.

At least this way I can play on my own and actually finish the damn campaign without other people's real lives getting in the way. Hopefully this will be better than the original Pillars of Eternity.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
We've hit $500 already. Excellent. :salute:

DarkUnderlord Raise the goal to $1000 (or higher if we've reached a high enough sum by the time you see this)

Last edited:

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Done. I can't resist giving money to the Codex. If DU was sharp he could use that for his nefarious purposes. Shame there were no lower tiers with Pathfinder rule books included - I can't get enough of that shit. I'm the sort of person who will read a rule book for fun. Lowest tier that included a set was $500. For a glorious special boxed set of a game led by grognard industry giants I might bend, but not for a bunch of Russians who are probably going to squander it all on vodka and potatoes.

PrettyDeadman

For a glorious special boxed set of a game led by grognard industry giants I might bend, but not for a bunch of Russians who are probably going to squander it all on vodka and potatoes.
Maybe for their next game?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd throw a few dollars at this codex campaign, but I got robbed in the PoE Tyranny competition.

I got the game at the lowest early bird tier and don't want to cancel.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I'd throw a few dollars at this codex campaign, but I got robbed in the PoE Tyranny competition.

I got the game at the lowest early bird tier and don't want to cancel.

^If there's anybody here who's planning on donating something extra to the fundraiser beyond the minimum cost for a game copy, you can donate an extra $8 in Abu Antar's name to let him get the game for the $20 Early Bird price.

How long will the Codex fundraiser go?

A month, until August 10.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Done. I can't resist giving money to the Codex. If DU was sharp he could use that for his nefarious purposes. Shame there were no lower tiers with Pathfinder rule books included - I can't get enough of that shit. I'm the sort of person who will read a rule book for fun. Lowest tier that included a set was $500. For a glorious special boxed set of a game led by grognard industry giants I might bend, but not for a bunch of Russians who are probably going to squander it all on vodka and potatoes.

You know all Pathfinder rules are available online for free, right? :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom