Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

getter77

Augur
Music seems decent, though not enough of an energy piece to really get a read on it---not entirely thrilled with their decision to lean away from "catchy" pieces as you'd think they'd want to lean hard for iconic as the latter is far from a dirty word in rpgs.

Also seems like there are deliberations in the comments with the folks that have done some Pathfinder tabletop musical accompaniments, so I guess some of that could join in directly or Zur doing covers or some such.

pomenitul

Arbiter
Project Update #9: Pathfinder: Kingmaker by Owlcat Games

Reddit-AMA on Friday: You can ask us anything!

Dear Pathfinders,

As you all know, communicating with our community is a pretty big deal to us. We're constantly checking comments, messages and social media to answer as many of your questions as we can, listen to your feedback and make you, the fans, an important part in the creation of our game.

To give you another opportunity to be heard, voice feedback and ask questions, we are hosting an AMA-Session on Reddit (post) on Friday, 16th of June at 11:59am PDT/PST / 7am GMT / 9am CET.

Taking part in the AMA will be creative director Alexander Mishulin and narrative designer Chris Avellone. So, if you have any questions about gameplay features and mechanics or storytelling, be sure to stop by and chat with us! Or perhaps you want to know more about why Alexander and Chris are so excited about the Kingmaker Adventure Path, about their tabletop adventures and the characters they play? Save the date and ask them anything!

Hail to the kings!

Owlcats.

Just in.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fairfax Lots of stuff for you here: https://www.reddit.com/user/ChrisAvellone

Answers about MCA's role on the project:

Chris Avellone said:
Hi guys! Thanks for taking the time to do this.

How interactive are the companions going to be? Will it be like BG1 where they only speak when an event triggers them, or will the player be able to instigate conversations in a manner similar to Planescape Torment?

And for Chris, can you tell us which of the companions that you’re writing is your favorite so far, and tell us a little bit about them and what you think makes them unique/interesting? Thanks!

I can speak to the companions - when I first got onto the project, the companion roster had already been laid out, so I started digging into the companion arcs and seeing which ones I'd suggest changing or altering to fit the new content we were planning to add. Right now, most of my contributions have been in writing for the core content, story expansions/alterations, and I haven't touched many of the companions yet except examining the tone of Amiri and Jubilost. Amiri and Jubilost are both fun in their own right, however, mostly because you "let loose" with them both in different ways.

Edit: Also, to add to this, I believe new companions will be unveiled soon, so there may be more information forthcoming in the updates.

Chris Avellone said:
Hi Chris, glad to have the opportunity to ask you some questions.

1. What is your role on Pathfinder: Kingmaker exactly? Are you just writing the companions? Are you tasked to come up with adventure mechanics and design? Or are you the narrative director responsible for all writing? If not, who is in charge of this?

2. What is your vision for the narrative and the experience of the player? As in go boldy where no one has gone before? You have been frequently very good at this.

3. Is your own secret project closer to Van Buren or to Pathfinder?

4. Would you consider writing your own Adventure Path sometimes in the future?
So, this is a long answer:
  1. I was contacted by Owlcat to assist in transitioning Kingmaker PNP to the cRPG. That role required evaluating the current work (they'd already done two story passes and all the companions), evaluating the module and seeing where it will go. I don't think it's feasible I can write all the companions (companions generally take at least 6 weeks of work each, if done properly), but if I have a chance, I'd love to write Amiri and Jubilost. We're still drawing lines in the sand here over who gets what. Also, as part of that narrative designer role, I also suggest and lay out how I'd not only restructure Kingmaker (foreshadowing elements, moving NPCs and key characters around) but how I'd expand it so veteran players still have something new to experience, and I think our plan for that is a good one and very true to the module itself.
  2. Vision: Owlcat has led the charge on this, but my vision for any of the existing NPCs in the module is to dig 2 levels down (ex: the main antagonist we've added several layers for) not only in the key NPCs but the side quest/event NPCs. What Owlcat has done on their side is already take many of the existing NPCs and given them expanded roles already (some NPCs you only briefly here about as quest givers in module one have a MUCH expanded role, and you really get to dig into their backstories).
  3. I've actually suggested ways to bring VB elements into Pathfinder. :)
  4. Yes, and that's in the works. I'll be writing one for the Kickstarter in the future in tandem with Paizo, although it won't be an AP, it'll be a module, I don't think I could do an AP on my own).

Cheers, Chris. I hoped that your involvement goes as deep as you laid out. Glad to know this.

If you write a KS update that confirms this, I am sure many more backers will get onboard.

Also, this is excellent news about your future plans. Thank you!

Sure, update's on the way (it's one of two I'm writing, so expect more).

ArchAngel

Arcane
Lot's of meaty answers in the AMA. I believe this game can truly rock!

It's still going: https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder...ession_with_the_devs_of_pathfinder_kingmaker/
Yes I am sure Codex will love things like:
andar91 [score hidden] an hour ago

When we create our character, will we be choosing a portrait for them as we did in older games?

secondly, will art developed for the rpg be usable in the game?

Do you plan on being as inclusive as the pen and paper game has been? Specifically, will there be lgbtq characters in the game?
  • ChrisAvellone [score hidden] an hour ago

I can answer the last question - we want to be inclusive, it's not only part of the franchise, but it's our feeling it should be there. In the Pathfinder Kingmaker run, it's introduced as early as the 1st module. :)
or:
killerqueen3223 [score hidden] an hour ago

Hi! Really looking forward to the game, I was just curious as to what the situation was in regards to same sex romance in the game. I know it might be a point of contention since Owlcat Games is based out of Russia
  • jjvreed [score hidden] an hour ago

Excellent question

ChrisAvellone [score hidden] an hour ago

Pathfinder's very much about same-sex romances (or just romance in general). It's even in the Adventure Paths as early as the first module, and it's part of the Pathfinder franchise to recognize it, so will we. :)

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, what I thought it would happen (MCA writing 1/2 companions and contributing more as a supervisor) confirmed itself.

Let's just hope Paizo will edit the (probable) clusterfuck or it may be a second coming of TTON

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm really curious to know who the other writers are now, who worked on the game before MCA joined. Are they Russian Owlcat employees? People from Paizo? If they've got people who can write well in English why aren't they pitching in with these Kickstarter updates?

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Btw for the folks who played the AP... is it true that the game is full of diversity?

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm really curious to know who the other writers are now, who worked on the game before MCA joined. Are they Russian Owlcat employees? People from Paizo? If they've got people who can write well in English why aren't they pitching in with these Kickstarter updates?

Zero curiosity here.
I want a game on which MCA writes everything, from the menu to the credits (like he did in PST), I don't care about anyone else.
But sadly it seems I (we) will never have it since he is busy working on 10000000 different projects and his iconic writer status is just being used to get attention and, sometimes, money.

Fairfax

Arcane
Fairfax Lots of stuff for you here: https://www.reddit.com/user/ChrisAvellone

Answers about MCA's role on the project:

It seems his role is relatively small, as most expected.

Other quotes:

Right now, no plans for DLC, just focusing on the core game. We'd definitely like to do more in the Pathfinder universe, though. :)

The end game is consequent with the player decisions, and furthermore, even if your decisions were "bad," they were your decisions, and even evil has its day.

Amiri's in the game (and writing her lines is fun, like Jubilost), but we don't have plans for a full iconic party, no. Although I do like Ezren and Seoni a lot. Plus I like Lini, because she looks so different and badass for what I expect from a gnome.

It would be a great Easter Egg, though, agreed. :)

Companions and their stories were one of the major ways we saw to add content and add new perspectives to the campaign path. Their stories carry through (heroic and tragic, though both are not set in stone for each character) throughout the game - it's important to us they be like the other players around the gaming table, which means they are there to THE END.

I don't have the exact number of companion quests per character, except to say that design-wise, I agree that completing a companion quest that then "ends" that character's development, stat and story-wise, is not an interesting companion quest and also helps kill the drama involved with that character.

About Kingdom management:

It's pretty Game of Thrones. I don't say that lightly.

They should be careful when selling the kingdom management mechanics. Something "pretty Game of Thrones" would have to resemble CK2 at least. Then again, the kingdom management stuff is the best shot they have at standing out, so I don't doubt it'll be a big part of the game.

I can't speak for Owlcat, but my hope is that if P:KM does well, we keep doing them and keep doing them and keep doing them... (original adventures as well).

He really seems on board with the whole thing, already talking about working with them long term.

Quillon

Arcane
About Kingdom management:

It's pretty Game of Thrones. I don't say that lightly.

They should be careful when selling the kingdom management mechanics. Something "pretty Game of Thrones" would have to resemble CK2 at least. Then again, the kingdom management stuff is the best shot they have at standing out, so I don't doubt it'll be a big part of the game.

That'd be the only way I'd be sold on this since I got a little taste of what something like that can be like in the last act of Witcher 2 & PoE's patched in stronghold content. But I'm not willing to bet on if they could deliver since their marketing is manipulative so far, its all about what PoE was praised & lacked/criticized for, I don't find them all that genuine. Will see when it releases.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Sup Valygar? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-kingmaker/posts/1914014

Companions: Introducing Ekundayo, the Grim Ranger

Dear Pathfinders,

We continue our story about those who will accompany you on your journey to the Stolen Lands. Many heroes rightfully call themselves Pathfinders – from the mighty Fighters to the cunning Rogues – but nobody is as good at literally finding paths where there seem to be none as the Rangers.

Ekundayo, or Ekun for friends, isn't too talkative. Even after earning his trust, one would need a lot of patience to learn something about his past. An experienced Ranger, a former mercenary, a devout worshipper of the dwarven god Torag... A soul on the verge of despair. When you meet him, he has nothing left to lose and only hopes to live long enough for a bloody revenge. Will you let his hatred consume him — or will you give him a new hope, a new place in life, a new home to fight for?

729cf6c97dd817fc654f395f8761e39a_original.jpg

Ekun's family came from the South, from the hot deserts of Thuvia, but he's never seen the land of his ancestors. His true motherland is Absolom — the great city in the center of the world, where one can meet people of every known nation, every religion, and every creed. After the death of his parents, he went to seek his fortune in the northern continent of Avistan, where he traveled back and forth before ending up in the turbulent Stolen Lands.

In battle, Ekundayo relies on his trusty bow, sending death from afar, but he also can protect himself in close combat, armed with a sword. He has no need for heavy armor but handles shields well. A faithful hound accompanies him, always ready to help.

b1f3b922ee427cfbb352dd54737c5ad9_original.gif

Ekun is a man of action, not a scheming diplomat. Should you decide to rely on his help in ruling the kingdom, you will benefit from his physical abilities and combat skills. He can do well protecting you and your people – or enforcing your orders, even the unpopular ones.

6acf901b4f2da3cadb7c919820336e78_original.png

One More Thing

Our partners at Paizo Inc. are working with the folks at Stranger Comics to bring the fantasy heroine NIOBE to the tabletop Pathfinder RPG! Niobe is a demigoddess adventuring in an original fantasy world filled with diverse and interesting cultures, horrific monsters, and exciting locales, just perfect for a Pathfinder adventure! Stranger is currently compiling Niobe’s adventures into a beautiful hardcover collection at this Kickstarter, which also includes a limited-edition “World of Niobe” 32-page Pathfinder RPG supplement! Please check out the campaign, and discover a new and exciting world filled with adventure!

Hail to the kings!

Owlcats.

b4bc9f676cdf60ef1ab0238e4caaf649_original.png

imweasel

I can answer the last question - we want to be inclusive, it's not only part of the franchise, but it's our feeling it should be there. In the Pathfinder Kingmaker run, it's introduced as early as the 1st module. :)
Pathfinder's very much about same-sex romances (or just romance in general). It's even in the Adventure Paths as early as the first module, and it's part of the Pathfinder franchise to recognize it, so will we. :)
Nobody really cares if there are gay characters, I actually find it amusing if I run into some flamboyant gay guy while adventuring. It is the Bioware style major faggotry (of companions) that is annoying.... or random NPCs lecturing the player about homosexuality or trannies.

That said, the Witcher 3 was a huge success and had absolutely no faggotry to speak of, and nobody even cared. That is something the devs should consider.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Nobody really cares if there are gay characters, I actually find it amusing if I run into some flamboyant gay guy while adventuring. It is the Bioware style major faggotry (of companions) that is annoying.... or random NPCs lecturing the player about homosexuality or trannies.

That said, the Witcher 3 was a huge success and had absolutely no faggotry to speak of, and nobody even cared. That is something the devs should consider.

Well there was this drag queen dude who sold you the mask and the suit for the ball. I also dont get this whole discussion. Both sides are so obsessed with wether or not gays are in the game. As long as the game doesnt become preachy i couldnt give less of a fuck.

Prime Junta

Huh, they finally found out how to sell The Gay Agenda™ to the Codex.

I wonder what'll happen when MCA announces that he's actually an Ethiopian Jewish Communist.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I wonder what'll happen when MCA announces that he's actually an Ethiopian Jewish Communist.

More seriously, MCA, for all his antics, sounds like the kind of person who is very inoffensive politically. He probably voted for Hillary in both the primary and the general election.*

*I'm talking out of my ass but I don't care.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom