Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Pathfinder: Kingmaker Codex Quest Ideas

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Infinitron, Dec 29, 2017.

1. i.Razorgender: ⚧ Educated Patron

i.Razor
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Doppelgangers coup is history behind Durlag's tower in BG1.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Bohraingender: ⚧ Learned

Bohrain
    Parrots:
    Questline where fairies get the party drunk. The player character wakes up next to a red troll and finds they are scheduled to a shotgun wedding with it soon.
    You must either go along with it and possibly get rid of your low class wife/husband/thing later, or do some detective work to find out what happened that night and see if you can cancel the wedding OR wed the troll to someone else.

• Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Background Charactergender: ⚧ Learned

Background Character
    Parrots:
    That could be but it would be "play something like this not so long ago" (Also I didn't remember) I was actually thinking of this
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

Then again BG's older so the guy could have taken inspiration from that instead, lots of doppelgangers in fiction

• retadred retadred x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. TT1gender: ⚧ Learned Patron

TT1
    Parrots:
    A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Are you fucking kidding, right? I did not draw inspiration from BG or a retarded manga that some imbecile likes.

I've been DM for many years and dopplegangers have always been my favorite villains, for being great at a mystery campaign.

• Salute Salute x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. TT1gender: ⚧ Learned Patron

TT1
    Parrots:
    In a new idea: we can try to subvert the classic mission of killing rats in the basement and trying to play with it somehow.

^ Top  
  6. junglgender: ⚧ Learned

jungl
    Parrots:
    continuation of my not Shrek inspired quest. With C&Q.

The Donkey turned out to be a epic level sorcerer with 4 levels or so in bard with dragon/donkey blood as his heritage. This explains why the female red dragon was so enticed by him. You wonder why he speaks common he explains he always was always a donkey since he remembers. Him and the ogre now ask your help in saving their swashbuckler catfolk friend who is planning to steal from the kingdom the princess/ogress is from despite her protest. If you killed the ogress and took her royal insignia you can return it to the kingdom she is from for a reward. If you took the evil route and killed the princess and the ogre the donkey tells the kingdom where she from what you did and they invade your land. You can fight them and beat them in submission for loot. If you took the good route you can potentially get the catfolk to be your companion. If evil you can plunder the kingdom and get powerful artifacts.

If you fight the donkey he knows time stop and many high level spells from the necromancer school. He fights and casts spells entirely in donkey form.

• Salute Salute x 2
    • You're Fired! You're Fired! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Background Charactergender: ⚧ Learned

Background Character
    Parrots:
    Cool beans, it just was the first thing that came to my mind since it was the last doppelganger-related stuff I consumed (The chapter came out not so long ago)

I should have know you were better than to copy/adapt/imitate an existing work

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. mogwaimongender: ⚧ Educated

mogwaimon
    Parrots:
    So like some tavern owner asks you to kill the rats in his basement but when you go down there if you pass a wisdom check you find that they aren't rats, they're mini people painted to look like rats and if you talk to them the pygmies are like "we're travelers this guy kidnapped us and now he sends people down here to squash us every so often and we can't get out" so you confront the tavern owner but it turns out he's just a rat with really high charisma that's been passing himself off as a human tavern owner because one day some group of fledgling adventurers came down to the basement of the tavern he used to live at and murdered his whole family and the mage hit him with a spell that went wrong and made him all intelligent-like so this super smart rat decided he was gonna amass a ton of shrinking potion and occasionally spike people's drinks with it so he can drop them in his basement and make them feel the pain he felt when some random destiny's child adventurer and his ragtag group of pals came down and fucked up his whole life.

• Funny x 6
    • incline x 3
    • Creative x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. karolinergender: ⚧ Learned

karoliner
    Parrots:
    Chocolate elves in maid oufits. One of them is a trap.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Bohraingender: ⚧ Learned

Bohrain
    Parrots:
    The rats reveal that the questgiver is in cahoots with local kobolds that aim to monopolize the basement loitering business by eliminating the competitors?
    And you have the choice to eliminate one faction, eliminate both or demand protection money in exchange for misleading future rookie adventurers.

• Salute Salute x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Trashosgender: ⚧ Erudite

Trashos
    Parrots:
    All right, I know nothing about Pathfinder, but here is something I thought up. In total, we get a tall scary tower and a new dialogue option with a merchant in the game.

Stage 1 (Sisyphus)

You approach the tower and there are two guards outside arguing. If you go near, they stop arguing and tell you
    - This question is for you and you alone, for you are the only one who can answer it, but don't. Incline or Decline? (A. Incline B. Decline C. Stay Silent)

No matter what you answer, they let you in. Inside, there is a small hill-like structure and a big rock that you can push up the slope. If you decide to push the rock (well, there is nothing else to do in there), you reach the peak and then the rock falls down the opposite slope. You can then choose to push the rock to the top again.

If you answered [A. Incline], and you repeat pushing the rock uphill 3 times, the third time the rock breaks the floor when rolling down and you discover a staircase to a secret basement.

If you answered [B. Decline], nothing happens no matter how many times you push the rock.

If you answered [C. Stay Silent], you have to pass a hard Strength skill check before you are allowed to push the rock. You again have to push it 3 times before the downward staircase appears.

Stage 2 (Before the Law)

You walk down the stairs and reach a closed door with a guard. The guard says
    - This door is for you and you only, for you are the only one who can walk through it, but don't.
    If you try to enter the door anyway, there is an Intelligence skill check. If you succeed, the guard does nothing. If you fail, the guard attacks you and you have to kill him. The guard gives you a very hard fight, and after he goes down you have to finish him with fire/acid or he gets up again.

Stage 3 (Equip the Ring)

You enter the door. There are 3 cowled men sitting at a long table, all facing your way.
    - Are you here for the ring? (A. No B. Yes)

If [A. No], then you have to fight them. Again, you have to finish each one up with fire/acid after they go down or they get back up.

if [B. Yes], then they give you a ring. "This ring is for you and you only. You can pass it on, but don't".

Stage 4 (Selling out)

After you get the ring, a new dialogue option will appear in a merchant's dialogue.
    - Give me that ring and I 'll give you 10% discount.
    You can choose to accept the discount or keep the ring. If you ever return to the room with the 3 cowled men without the ring, they will fight you. If you return with the ring, they will say "Did you equip the ring?".

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. TT1gender: ⚧ Learned Patron

TT1
    Parrots:
    Holy shit, this is amazing! LOVE IT!

:love:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. J1Mgender: ⚧ Arcane

J1M
    Parrots:
    "Intercede in a practical joke contest between some fairies with humorous consequences."

^ Top  
  14. HeatEXTENDgender: ⚧ Learned

HeatEXTEND
    Parrots:
    :russiastronk:

^ Top  
  15. HeatEXTENDgender: ⚧ Learned

HeatEXTEND
    Parrots:
    We have a winner.

^ Top  
  16. ArchAngelgender: ⚧ Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    Replace that "weakling!" with "cuck!" and then we might have a winner :)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Mark Richardgender: ⚧ Savant

Mark Richard
    Parrots:
    Just as long as it doesn't involve killing the rats while the adventurers loudly protest at what a cliche it is (Dragon Age: Origins). Nothing is subverted if the player is forced to jump through the same hoops regardless of whether they notice the lack of originality from their predicament or not.

^ Top  
  18. ArchAngelgender: ⚧ Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    There is a quest where you get to pick berries for an Inn owner. And he needs it for his breakfast... I was at least expecting they would make fun of the quest.. but no. Whatever Codex puts it, it needs to make fun of that berry quest as part of it.
    Maybe it would be cool if the Codex quests starts with that Inn owner asking to discuss berries with you again :)

^ Top  
  19. aweighgender: ⚧ Arcane

aweigh
    Parrots:
    the quest should be a convoluted shadowrun inside bethesda's megacorp headquarters.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • WTF!? WTF!? x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. MurkyShadowgender: ⚧ Glittering gem of hatred Patron

MurkyShadow
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
    Something involving a bag filled with glittering gems of hatred. (May be added to any suggested quests:cool:)

^ Top  
  21. Tigranesgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Neanderthal is obviously the winner, though I like the surrealness evoked by Trashos' piece and in any case every good quest should have a Kafka reference

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Neanderthal's thing isn't actually a quest, though. :M

Maybe somebody can take what he wrote and develop it further.

^ Top  
  23. Background Charactergender: ⚧ Learned

Background Character
    Parrots:
    Save it for the next Shadowrun game

^ Top  
  24. Neanderthalgender: ⚧ Arcane

Neanderthal
    Parrots:
    Quick bit o theorycrafting:

Clues.
    My lord I have as you requested begun searching for clues to the Living Codex. The rumours are rife throughout the Stolen Lands as to this dread artifacts existence and unspeakable knowledge, and my work has taken me far and wide in an effort to track it down, such power cannot be left to circulate in the hands of the uninitiated, it must be harnessed, imprisoned or destroyed as you most wisely speculated.
    I began my search with the seer Infinit, his knowledge is prodigious as all know, and I was given many clues as he stared into his orb of obsidian and groped it with eager hands. After many travails I came to Lord Jaesun's keep in Ultima Thule, and from there was directed onwards again with warnings as to my virtue. The Dweller would not even recieve me, he snarled of decadence and a new world he would create before sending me on my way. The Cloven Grimoire would not reveal its clues to me, insisting that I was not worthy, should adjust my alignment and get goodness. I admit after so many false trails I grow tired and dispirited, but one rumour that will not rest is that of an underlord residing in the dark down under where I will and can not go.
    You are however not alone in your quest to find this artifact, a secret organisation waits and watches for it, dull, earnest fellows who have consented to come to your halls and counsel with you on finding the thing. You will know them by their strange headwear and the courtesy with which they treat the fairer sex, a respectful m'lady is never far from their lips.

Quest.
    You meet with the Watch who wish the Codex contained or destroyed for they hold that its knowledge is tainted and far too exciting, they give you a ring that when equipped will identify you to certain individuals (the ones mentioned above or other Codex luminaries) and get them to reveal what they know of the Living Codex. Slowly a tale emerges of many erratic but insightful minds pooling their knowledge, but with each step along the path you are challenged by weird foes, mostly lusty red devils that spawn screaming and laughing from the darkness to hurl themselves at you, while chittering mockery and ridicule.

Conclusion.
    Eventually you find Master Phillipe, a bibliophile who is penning a great work, and your characters will be rewarded with his patronage, a great deal of lore and a source of knowledge that is second to none. He will not admit to his work being the Living Codex, and the player will not be able to advance the quest beyond this point, and may assume if they wish that this is the end and the Living Codex quest has reached its conclusion.

Epilogue.
    A madman (/woman?) is brought before you in chains...

Perhaps a conclusion where the Watch attacks you for harbouring the Living Codex, or the various prominent individuals you consulted in your quest are revealed as the Codex' makers, but the cannot contain the mad thing it has becoming as it switches to alternate personalities and forms.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. HeatEXTENDgender: ⚧ Learned

HeatEXTEND
    Parrots:
    :takemymoney:

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)