Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
For those of you who pledged >=$15, the soundtrack has been released. It's glorious.
:kfc:

Aothan

Magister
Speaking of coming updates, I understand pvp will be implemented shortly. Whilst I'm ambivalent about pvp in this format it has always been intended as an integral feature of the game, so I imagine that regardless of nascent balance issues arena battles (and the later open pvp leagues) will make for a welcome addition to the game's overall playability.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Here's an a small part of the 0.9.13 patch notes. These rules may change before next week!

Player vs. Player Arenas:
We've added support for PvP arenas.
Initially there's support for both 1 vs. 1 and 3 vs. 3 matches.
You can either play Level 28 Capped PvP in Normal difficulty or Open PvP in Merciless difficulty (with resistance penalties).
Level 28 Capped PvP requires that you haven't entered Cruel difficulty and are not higher than level 28.
To enter PvP, talk to Greust and click "Join PvP". If you're in a party, then your whole party will be placed in a queue. If any member of your party cancels then the whole party is removed from the queue.
Once there are enough players to form teams of the right sizes, you'll be transported to a random arena. 3v3 arenas are generally larger.
During the match, up to nine rounds are played. The first team to win five rounds will be declared the match winner.
At the end of 60 seconds, a round is declared a draw. Because of the best-of-nine effect, every two draws will reduce the number of wins a team needs by one.
Teams are coloured Red and Blue and are given a coloured aura effect.
There are dead corpses in the arenas that can be raised as minions.
Traps, mines, totems, auras, buffs and minions are destroyed between rounds.
Like any other spell, casting your auras is part of the PvP fight and can't be done beforehand.
Hardcore deaths in PvP arenas are currently not permanent. We'll be adding permadeath hardcore PvP options soon.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/54466

:bounce:

Kimprime

Novice
I'm having some fun with PoE, just started today after purchasing closed beta access. The game has been quite a bore for me as of Act 1, though I've heard it gets much better later on. End-game looks boatloads better than the goatse simulator of an experience called d3 Inferno.

While being a templar and whacking crap is fine and all, I think the game would benefit from a more exciting early-game as first impressions are usually the most important. The systems are pretty neat and the game has been more difficult than its counterparts for me. It'd be a shame if too many players were turned off by the beginning.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Well, hopefully there'll be more skills at the low level as they continue to add them to the game. The pacing might also change considerably when they add the other acts in.

Stabwound

Arcane
Fucking December. Well, I guess I can wait- I've been waiting years for this game.

Phineas

Educated
I'm predicting its going to be better than Torchlight II. Someone gave me a beta key and its fantastic from what I've played; combat is "visceral", graphics are great, & its atmospheric in the vein of Diablo 1 and 2. Time to fucking celebrate.

:kfc:

Rpgsaurus Rex

I dl'd the beta yesterday and made a Witch, and boy it looks good. I get like an hour a day or less to play games, and this feels like a perfect fix for it.

Gregz

Arcane
I dl'd the beta yesterday and made a Witch, and boy it looks good. I get like an hour a day or less to play games, and this feels like a perfect fix for it.

Oh it is, but I'm getting real tired of waiting on this fucker.

I'm not gonna grind for months just to see my uber rare shit get wiped.

*sigh* Anyway, they are a small group and this is their first...lots of risk so they are being cautious...hope they finalize it soon tho.

Rpgsaurus Rex

*sigh* Anyway, they are a small group and this is their first...lots of risk so they are being cautious...hope they finalize it soon tho.

I'll just start off a new char, no problem. It looks like there are 7 or so different classes with enough variety. (or are there? I'm just a newb)

Stabwound

Arcane

Same here. I want to play this game, have a beta key, but can't be assed to put any real time into it knowing it's all going to be wiped down the line. Hurry up with the open beta, ffs.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I'll just start off a new char, no problem. It looks like there are 7 or so different classes with enough variety. (or are there? I'm just a newb)
There is some decent variety, especially if you're not playing HC and restricted to guys that'll be extremely safe from getting popped by a lag spike or random crit. The classes do overlap a lot (You can easily have almost identical stats and abilities as a neighbouring class from either position if you were going in that direction anyways) but at the same time, there is variety within the classes, and any given class can branch towards several other classes effectively and has lots of potential skill and passive combinations to try and abuse.

Aothan

Magister
I'm finding the newly introduced pvp playable and undeniably promising yet also mind numbingly unbalanced. The variety of character permutations available from combinations of the active and passive skill systems is, somewhat paradoxically, better served in the pvp context. With a little finesse and ingenuity players can feasibly implement their 'creative' or 'novel' character that in some ways are better realised in pvp. A related development is the value of properties on items becoming so much more relevant, a rare piece of armour might be valuable with life and armour, but now also accuracy and stun/block recovery (among other random properties) are all potentially valuable qualities. Having said that it also needs to be plainly stated the balance is dismaying, what I don't particularly understand is why certain balance issues have reached the beta component of this testing phase. I say this because even before pvp became accessible there were a few intuitively obvious liabilities that could be anticipated to undermine the game even before (alpha) testing confirmed as much. Yet Hex Master (advanced skill node), Shock (elemental status) and Vaul's Baptism (unique two-handed mace) are all present and hegemonic of present issues. And I'm sure whilst these warrant attention the magnitude of disproportion they represent also obscures the potential ranges of issues that could be improved before the coming open beta phase.

Either which way though it is still an opportune time for those inclined to play and familiarise themselves with the core mechanics and functions of skills when applied in pvp scenarios. Presently it is still possible to play a number of games without having to wonder why such skewed possibilities exist that are typically only beatable if the player errs. More disconcertingly I suppose is the same issue for the casual or average player where the experience will amount to the time it takes for one of the aforesaid examples to press a button or two three times in successions. So whilst I'm significantly more impressed with the implementation than I expected to be, and the skill system becomes more comprehensively realised with the addition of pvp, the praise of the essential implementation requires necessary reservation about current appeal to all players (i.e. reasons for participating and threshold for exasperating instances of imbalance).

GreatPretender

Educated
I cannot play these shitty easy games after playing Dark Souls, every twitch game is boring and easy compared to it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom