Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

T. Reich

Arcane
ALL shaped/elder gear was one huge mistake.

T. Reich

Arcane
That's one of the genuine downsides of PoE. In Torchlight II (not the best ARPG ever, but decent), as an ice wizard or whatever, I remember using a wide variety of different abilities strategically: an ice cage to protect myself or trap enemies, fullscreen ice storm thing, a more concentrated directed ice attack, a damaging ice teleport, and an AoE on-enemy-death life and mana drain.

To be fair, the potions bar is practically a second ability bar in PoE, so there's that to consider. Still, at the high end, it seems to boil down to teleport-BANG-teleport-teleport-teleport-BANG BANG BANG-teleport-BANG-teleport-teleport-BANG BANG BANG, with maybe some fast running interspersed with teleporting or what-have-you.

Just wanted to get back to the ole "one button gameplay" argument often thrown at PoE, given the latest Skill Usage Statistics released by GGG. In all the level brackets, in all the league types, there's barely any active skills that are used as main damage dealers - the most-used skills are movement and utility skills.

Sure, they are in the top mostly because a lot of them are universally shared among many different build types, but these stats show that the playerbase at large recognises the value of various utility skills and uses them actively.

Hyperion

Arcane
they need to ged rid of those fucking Stat Sticks (especially those Shaper Conversion ones)
'Fake' dual wielding is currently the single strongest option for melee gameplay and has completely moved away from their original design philosophy; two-handed combat being the lumbering damage dealer, sword n board the defensive option, and dual wielding falling somewhere in between the two. Stat sticks provide the best of both worlds as they give the 'more' damage and attack speed bonus from dual wielding, an easy 30% block chance when counting the passive tree bonuses, and fucking obscene damage from weapons that normally are vendor trash / trade for 1alc (Princess / Temp Steel) all the way to Shaper Sceptres that can provide you with over 100% 'more' damage PLUS 25 - 35% crit multi, and even a large chunk of accuracy.

It makes skills like Cleave, Dual Strike, and Lacerate outclassed by skills that have stricter weapon requirements in all facets. Not only do you need to spend double the currency to keep your weapons to up to date, you miss out on adding damage that's essenrially equivalent to 3 more support gems on your main attack.

I'm hoping they muster up the courage to shit on stat sticking builds by negating all offhand weapon effects for any attack that can't utilize the weapon. I'm not sure if it'll be possible mechanically, but it would certainly beat the other option of making all 'x% physical damage added as y' mods on weapons affect that weapon only, because then you fuck the spell builds that use them as well.

Once this is done, we can get more fun dual wield skills in the game, because hitting with both weapons at once is one of my favorite things to do in RPGs that allow dual wielding, while simultaneously helping out two-handed weapons look more appealing since their damage should be numero uno again, while being cheaper to gear.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Self cast spellcasting is fucked anyways unless you are using a physical base spell and converting to elemental. Non physical conversion spells are fucked outside of few fun combinations or use of trigger uniques (like Poet's Pen).

Gotta be more specific, pal.

You get hit by a spell or melee attack and it momentarily staggers you, like a mini stun, but no tooltip or animation, except character sort of leaning back for a moment. Can use flasks but nothing else, stops the movement dead as well. It's like 0.3 second long but ultra annoying. Ripped on my totem guy and stun immune jugg due to this. It's not lag either, since you can use flasks.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
100% 'more' damage PLUS 25 - 35% crit multi, and even a large chunk of accuracy.
You mean increased, not more, right?

I'm guessing stat sticks mean you equip say, a sword and a mace, and then use a skill that only works with one of them? Seems reasonable you would not get the as bonus from that.

ArchAngel

Arcane
100% 'more' damage PLUS 25 - 35% crit multi, and even a large chunk of accuracy.

I'm guessing stat sticks mean you equip say, a sword and a mace, and then use a skill that only works with one of them? Seems reasonable you would not get the as bonus from that.
Added damage is more like MORE damage than Increased Damage because it adds to your base damage than is than Increased by all the Increased modifiers and then by all the More modifiers and by critical multiplier.

Added Damage kind of works like Damage Taken, it works as More multiplier in combination with More supports but it adds with itself if you got multiple added damage sources (or more Inc Damage Taken sources).

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

its actually 'more' and the reason those new sticks are ridiculous.
Yeah, it is about using skill like reave and holding weapon like mace in offhand. It used to be fine as offhand weapons were limited and unique, like death hand which gave you power charges generation and unholy might... and was quite expensive. It pales in comparison with sticks having 3 different mods with more dmg conversion.
And these stat sticks are new?

I wish PoE was a bit better at explaining its mechanics. I just learned yesterday that if you have a spell that does cold damage, and convert all of it to fire damage, you still benefit fully from both of your +fire dmg% and +cold dmg%. No idea if you also get double benefit from +elemental damage%.

Now you are implying that dual wielding adds base damage even if the off hand weapon is not used? crazy

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Men, melting bosses so hard with whispering ice that their health bar keeps resetting because YOURE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO THAT MUCH DAMAGE IN PHASE 1 is mucho fun.

Linking it to spell cascade and causing the game to go all blurry to try and keep up with the rendering is pretty fun too :M

Zdzisiu

Arcane
It goes blurry to keep up with targeted FPS you gave it.
But he set his target fps at 10!

And Ice storm sure is fun, like fire storm it benefits greatly with prolonged casting. The damage just snowballs like crazy then.

GGG said that they will run some kind of flashback even before next league, I will probably play it as Frostballs totem Hiero for the sweet sweet one button gameplay.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It goes blurry to keep up with targeted FPS you gave it.
But he set his target fps at 10!

And Ice storm sure is fun, like fire storm it benefits greatly with prolonged casting. The damage just snowballs like crazy then.

GGG said that they will run some kind of flashback even before next league, I will probably play it as Frostballs totem Hiero for the sweet sweet one button gameplay.
That is very 3.0, now it is about Glacial Cascade totems.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Or maybe I should go quad Icestorm totems. I wonder how well that would work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom