Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

ArchAngel

Arcane
- chain support
Due to less damage on chain support is simply not is not worth it. Apep rage is sure nice for skele DP (playing it now and having fun), but I had no luck finding it (SFF).
chain, echo dmg decrease doesnt affect poison dmg.
Nor conc effect for that matter.

This is why apep rage is like god sent wand if you want to do poison

Hmm. I guess I really need to RTFM on poison mechanics...
What's an apep rage? or a skeleton dp for that matter?

I'm currently playing frost blades. I have now understood that PoE has at least 3 difficulity settings:
Easy - Totems
Medium - Spell
Hard - Melee

Almost died to act 5 kitava 4 times, fucker punches for a lot of damage.
Actually is more like
Very Easy - Totems & Summons
Easy - Wanders & RF
Medium - Ranged melee & Ranged non spell
Hard - self cast ranged spells
Very Hard - Melee & self cast melee range spells

Last edited:
I finally caved in and traded for some stuff, still RIPd a bunch of times, because I get complacent and forget about some mechanics. I think I went through 7 70+ characters in the last month, fuck's sake.

Gotta say tho, the builds I enjoyed the most were Frost Blades/Dual Strike Assassin with claws and some sort of crit archer I had that died prior to 60. Running a spell totem build right now, gem swapping for bosses is a little annoying and clearing time is not super (compared to FB that is) but I'm still a few levels away from key uniques so it might get better later on.

Too bad PoE doesn't have mechanics to support a damn smooth DoT build, akin to WD in D3 (the only good thing about it). I tried a few variations on the theme, but it feels super clunky, not to mention that hybrids fall way off in the late game.

Jason Liang

Arcane
The game mechanics support summoners very well, although they have bad clear speed as well (not as bad as totems though).

Yeah but I don't want a summoner, I want a character with multiple DoTs that chain + some moderately useful pets. PoE is a one skill game, well two at best, hence the lack of mechanics to support such a playstyle.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The game mechanics support summoners very well, although they have bad clear speed as well (not as bad as totems though).
After playing glacial cascade totem hierophant, I really don't get the complaint about bad clear speed. The only annoying thing is running back when you hear the sound of good loot.

Or perhaps I do not understand the clear speed meta.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
After playing glacial cascade totem hierophant, I really don't get the complaint about bad clear speed. The only annoying thing is running back when you hear the sound of good loot.

Look at this slow-ass pleb-tier scrub down there, absolutely disgusting.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Look at this slow-ass pleb-tier scrub down there, absolutely disgusting.

To be fair both DP and Berserker were nerfed since 3.0 :)

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yeah but I don't want a summoner, I want a character with multiple DoTs that chain + some moderately useful pets. PoE is a one skill game, well two at best, hence the lack of mechanics to support such a playstyle.
ED + Contagion "chains", you can clear beyond your screen if enemies are close enough to each other.
If you are SSF, Occultist or Trickster ED works, if you are trade league Indigon Trickster ED works better.

ED + Contagion "chains", you can clear beyond your screen if enemies are close enough to each other.
If you are SSF, Occultist or Trickster ED works, if you are trade league Indigon Trickster ED works better.

Yep, but I was talking about simulating WD experience which isn't really possible in PoE, that's all. No big deal, plenty of other fun builds to try out. Though my totem feller will probably be my last, for this league at least.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
That's one of the genuine downsides of PoE. In Torchlight II (not the best ARPG ever, but decent), as an ice wizard or whatever, I remember using a wide variety of different abilities strategically: an ice cage to protect myself or trap enemies, fullscreen ice storm thing, a more concentrated directed ice attack, a damaging ice teleport, and an AoE on-enemy-death life and mana drain.

To be fair, the potions bar is practically a second ability bar in PoE, so there's that to consider. Still, at the high end, it seems to boil down to teleport-BANG-teleport-teleport-teleport-BANG BANG BANG-teleport-BANG-teleport-teleport-BANG BANG BANG, with maybe some fast running interspersed with teleporting or what-have-you.

ArchAngel

Arcane
There is certainly more that two skills but they are often locked into auras, curses, golems or trigger skills like cwdt.

And to fair D2 was not much better. PoE is a spiritual successor to D2.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Yeah, well, I played a Firestorm/Summoner Witch and there was possibly a bit more to do than other builds, but as I recall many things were hooked into triggers and CWDT, and casting Firestorm was the main activity. The teleport skill is just interspersed with walking, and occasionally resummoning was necessary.

Having more to do character-wise would be more interesting from a gameplay perspective. This does affect most ARPGs to some extent, mind you.

T. Reich

Arcane
That's one of the genuine downsides of PoE. In Torchlight II (not the best ARPG ever, but decent), as an ice wizard or whatever, I remember using a wide variety of different abilities strategically: an ice cage to protect myself or trap enemies, fullscreen ice storm thing, a more concentrated directed ice attack, a damaging ice teleport, and an AoE on-enemy-death life and mana drain.

That's because most/all active abilities in TL2 have a cooldown, so you're forced to use different skills simply to fill the void of the downtime.
Plus even if they didn't, the skill leveling system itself doesn't support going all in with a single skill of choice - you'll have plenty of skill points left over. Plus, some skills don't actually get that much better with further investment due to diminishing returns, again forcing you to spread out.
Most of the secondary active skills you pick this way would be temporary buffs or situational debuffs.

Meanwhile, PoE supports any level of complexity, entirely depending on a player's playstyle.

Take an RF build, for example. You can alternate between the two extremes and anything in between:
* "look ma, no hands!" tier: RF is activated once per map. Auras are precast. The only active skill you use is shield charge, it's used to proc fortify, EE and EO. A modest cwdt set up on top of that.
* Maximum engagement tier: shield charge to proc fortify and EE, orb of storms to proc EE and EO (and arcane surge for scorching ray), enduring cry to get endurance charges and extra life regen, decoy totem to distract beefy targets, self-cast scorching ray to melt bosses faster, recasting golem occasionally because it dies, vaal lightning trap for more bossing damage, possibly a self-cast curse to get that extra bit of edge. Good luck finding enough gem slots and skill bar slots for all of that.
Same build, VERY different levels of engagement.

I could do this thing for a whole variety of build types.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I could do this thing for a whole variety of build types.
I tend to agree. Most builds I've played have had a main skill+movement that is more than 90% of your clicks. But you still do tend to have stuff like orb of storms, blood rage, etc that you occasionally click.

I can agree with Blaine that it would be cool to have more active defensive abilities, or more "ultimates" that you use sparingly to fuck shit up (vaal gems exist, but in practice no one uses them for this purpose).
Easy - Wanders & RF
Wanding looks pretty cool. Kinetic blast has always looked very interesting to me. Barrage is ultimate vanilla though.

Good luck finding enough gem slots and skill bar slots for all of that.

That's exactly the problem though. Besides, what you described is just another push for that higher % (both offensively and defensively), which is fine, since PoE is all about that + theorycrafting + exploding packs + bullet hell. Most of the interactive/utility skills would be kind of useless in PoE anyway since most mobs charge your ass at top speed, start shooting off screen and other such nonsense, there's no real time to strategically start blowing smoke out of your ass, it's easier and faster to just explode them.

HOWEVER, in some hypothetical perfect ARPG there would be room for both, stat crunching/build fiddling (and subsequent facerolling through the packs) and interactive skillset that actually requires, well skill or at least some sort of finesse and thought.

Jason Liang

Arcane
PoE has very cool skills like Orb of Storms, Frost Wall, Totems, Warcries, etc... but they don't fit the game. Eventually you realize that casting them only slows you down. Click less, go faster.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
PoE has very cool skills like Orb of Storms, Frost Wall, Totems, Warcries, etc... but they don't fit the game. Eventually you realize that casting them only slows you down. Click less, go faster.
But sometimes you must click more to not die.

Jason Liang

Arcane
But sometimes you must click more to not die.

you can die less by playing smarter, not slower, but you die when the game decides its time for you to die

Doktor Best

Arcane
The biggest problem is the overabundance of screen clearing AOE effects and so much damage in endgame that you can actually oneshot 99,999% of all enemies.

If enemies lasted longer, a bigger variety of spells would start to matter alot more all of a sudden.

And to be 100% honest, although people will fling shit at me for saying that, i kinda miss SOME OCCASIONAL use of cooldown based abilities. Or like already mentioned a complete revamp of the vaal gems would also be cool.

Last edited:

Balor

Arcane
Or like already mentioned a complete revamp of the vaal gems would also be cool.

At least make souls persist on area changes or something...
They would have to nerf all vaal skills in that case. What should be done is to allow use of vaal skills always but base their effect on current soul storage.

Well, currently they are of really limited use when you try to fight bosses without lots of adds. Or is that intentional?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom