Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Jaedar You can't go wrong with frostblades raider/pathfinder. But for HC I recommaned sunder/reave with duelist or marauder.

Edit:Or molten strike if you have a good computer. Seriously, you can burn some older toasters with that.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Try this one : https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1945896
Bow trapper using buffed saboteur to destroy maps and bosses. Don't know if it is HC viable.
4600 life, no notable defense other than some mediocre evasion. I'd say it's not even remotely HC viable, certainly not for me. Do people in SC typically play with such paltry defenses?

I am considering learning how to play a melee character though. Frost blades or mjolnir seem like fun places to start, but haven't found any build for either that could work as league starter and HC. Has to be workable on its own because I can't be arsed to make a currency farming character first.
Some do, I don't. My builds are always more hc friendly because I hate dying a lot.

As for league starter mjolner is not that, but I have seen cool mjolner jugg disharge builds, you just have to repec that jugg into it once you earn some currency.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Jaedar You can't go wrong with frostblades raider/pathfinder
All raider builds I've ever seen have appeared to be super squishy (less than 5k hp, I don't trust evasion as a form of defence). But that might just because I don't grok how a melee char lives (with life leech supposedly). Do people even play pathfinder any more?

This https://pastebin.com/vk0iC3Lz blade flurry build seems fairly good, scaleable from budget gear and survivable. Although I suspect Grunker will make me eat my hat if I play such a meta build.

T. Reich

Arcane
Try this one : https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1945896
Bow trapper using buffed saboteur to destroy maps and bosses. Don't know if it is HC viable.
4600 life, no notable defense other than some mediocre evasion. I'd say it's not even remotely HC viable, certainly not for me. Do people in SC typically play with such paltry defenses?

I am considering learning how to play a melee character though. Frost blades or mjolnir seem like fun places to start, but haven't found any build for either that could work as league starter and HC. Has to be workable on its own because I can't be arsed to make a currency farming character first.

Here's a quick-and-dirty frost blades champion for you. A good and easy league-starter - frost blades is amazing for leveling and early mapping even with mediocre gear, you only need 3 total uniques to make it good + one you get as an a5 quest reward. I outfitted it with ok-good rate rares, everything is easily farmable for. Damage numbers are more than adequate to tackle t15 maps and bosses, and t16 guardians if you're good at manual evasion and general maneuvres. It's not a tanky build, but it's got good general defense. Can't run ele reflect and no-leech maps, the rest is trivial. Not as fast as ranger variants, but much sturdier thanks to that fortify and extra life. Can get at least 20% cooler with proper currency investment. Getting belly and better life on gear will net you 7k+ life eventually, while getting proper WED and more crit on ammy/rings/jewels will let you breach 400k shaper single target (plus 100-150k from ancestral totem).

On pantheon: soul of arakaali for major (upgrade for that +50% life recovery when you stop taking dot; that's what there blood rage and cwdt+ic are for, among other things), and no idea what to take for minor.

If you got the guts, drop the perma-fortify ascendancy notable, link fortify to whirling blades (instead of BM), and pick that intimidate + adrenaline ascendancy notable instead. Your damage will go through the roof, especially vs bosses.

Oh, and it's got amazing aoe clear, you gotta see it to believe it (don't forget to swap ruthless to ancestral call for aoe clearing).

Warning: do NOT do atziri with this skill - your FB proj will chain to mirror copy during split phase almost 100% of the time. Swap FB to double dual strike instead.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
If you got the guts, drop the perma-fortify ascendancy notable, link fortify to whirling blades (instead of BM), and pick that intimidate + adrenaline ascendancy notable instead. Your damage will go through the roof, especially vs bosses.
I would guess the perma fortify one is the last one you pick up anyway (Since I guess you need the guaranteed to hit one from the right part, but I might be wrong). Seems like a cool build, I'll keep it in mind for when I start my next char. I also think my challenging eldar guardians mostly blindly speaks well for my guts :)

I feel like I got pretty good with timing with this totem char. When you have 5 curses swirling around your head when you've forgotten to pop curse immunity for half a second, you learn quickly. So I think I could skip perma fortify and use skills for it instead. Although judging from my experience this league, actually getting to endgame lab takes a really long time. You say it's better at start of league though cause of more sharing, so maybe it's a nonissue.
Although I suspect Grunker will make me eat my hat if I play such a meta build.

Huh? On the contrary, I will applaud you for finally doing the sane thing. Gotta crawl before you can walk
>Saying I'm so bad at PoE it doesn't even count as crawling, let alone walking.
Even when trying to be nice he insults me.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yeah getting endgame lab can be pretty tedious if you're not on SC or don't grind that hard.

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
as i hate this league, i grinded high tier legacy maps (15/16) on STD and sold map drops and frags for 5.5k Chaos during 2 weeks of casually slaying enemies and Guardians.

was actually fun, as i havnt played t16 maps a lot before

ArchAngel

Arcane
So I have decided to try out the cool Indigon ED Trickster build but since I cba to level another character I decided to respec a Standard one. Indigon = 1ex, 6l Cloak of Defiance = 7ex, lvl 21 ED = 2ex, lvl 4 empower = 3x and a complete surprise Fevered Mind jewels are 3 ex each (and you need two).. wtf?!
I know of no other build except those using Indigon that need those jewels. And Indigon builds have not yet been picked up by big PoE streamers (only Waggle made one, that is how I learned about it).

Build is awesome, it is basically a RF like idea but you max out your Mana and Mana regen. You only pick up life, mana and mana regen nodes on the tree and then you murder stuff by recasting your high mana cost skill over and over until enemy dies. With each recast, mana cost and bonus spell damage rises exponentially.

This ED trickster with high end gear can get up to 900 000 ED dps. Waggle's build that is weaker than that murdered Shaper easily on BHC.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Ok, there is that helmet that when you use some mana activates gems socketed in it but that one is super hipster and barely anyone used it.
I asked the maker of this ED build about the expensive jewels and he said they were 3c when he was buying them. I guess Indigon did cause the rise of price of those jewels..

Last edited:

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
i want to test the reworked Champion Acendancy and abuse Adrenaline.
Crit Sword seems in a good spot.
Wanted to go either hipster Cleave for perma Fortify or Blade Flurry. (have never touched one or the other)
Any recommendations?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Do Reave for map clear and BF for bossing (guardians, elder, atziri, shaper). Mathil did a build with it, find his video you will probably learn a lot more about the class and playstyle.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
i want to test the reworked Champion Acendancy and abuse Adrenaline.
Crit Sword seems in a good spot.
Wanted to go either hipster Cleave for perma Fortify or Blade Flurry. (have never touched one or the other)
Any recommendations?
Yeah, the Mathil's Reave+Blade flurry Champion works very well.

I run it on standard right now. It doesnt need mirror tier gear to be good, and can scale like crazy with standard gear.

Reave is for general clear, swap for Blade flurry for boss kills, and not even all of them, just like T15-16 bosses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMXnNE5fWFE Link to Mathil's build.

Hyperion

Arcane
Cleave is nowhere near hipster, and an excellent skill. Same goes for Dual Strike. Very powerful skill, that, when used with its Threshold Jewel gets great single target when you replace Ancestral Call with Multistrike, or any other Red support.

It doesn't get free Fortify like Cleave, and sacrifices some DPS because of AC, but its AoE is 360 degrees. The downsides of the skills are you sacrifice a jewel slot, and you don't get to use those insanely powerful Shaper off-hands.

As a league-starter, the above 2 skills outperform BF / Reave when your gear is lousy. If you want to pick things up and don't speed clear, Reave is extremely aggravating to play because you'll consistently lose your stacks. Also can be annoying if you use lots of skill gems, because Vaal Reave + Multistrike is basically a requirement

T. Reich

Arcane
i keep resisting urge to do poison dp:
- dual apep rage
- skellies
- chain support
emperor-639507.jpg

SirSingAlot

Arbiter

I run it on standard right now. It doesnt need mirror tier gear to be good, and can scale like crazy with standard gear.

Reave is for general clear, swap for Blade flurry for boss kills, and not even all of them, just like T15-16 bosses.

thanks!
want to run it on STD as well, have some nice gear pieces.
you think i can go full Phys Crit Max(ish)Block with Brutality, legacy Abyssus ect ?
:positive:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I played the Indigon ED trickster a bit more on Std, upgraded some of the items and bought the second unique jewel. So far on t10 and t11 it works great. I need to take him to higher tier maps and upgrade equipment some more.
Funny build, I got one damage node on tree and almost none on gear lol. Indigon is sole item that scales your damage.
As a result I use brightbeak and shield charge around maps like crazy clearing them fast.
I only ran into problems vs rares with allies cannot die since it is so hard to hit that rare with ED when I got no pierce projectile nodes.

Zdzisiu

Arcane

thanks!
want to run it on STD as well, have some nice gear pieces.
you think i can go full Phys Crit Max(ish)Block with Brutality, legacy Abyssus ect ?
:positive:
Reave+BladeFlurry would be the best setup for that probably.

I think that Max Block would need a change from statstick to a decent shield, but I have no experience with real max block builds.

But well, its standard and legacy gear. Go crit, legacy abyssus, legacy Atzire gloves and some crit multi amu for more than enough dps and tankness through the instant leech alone.

I am not running Abyssus and with a 2 mods statstick it does around 1mln Shaper dps with adrenaline with BF. Legacy Abyssus would increase that to 1.7mln+

Balor

Arcane
- chain support
Due to less damage on chain support is simply not is not worth it. Apep rage is sure nice for skele DP (playing it now and having fun), but I had no luck finding it (SFF).
chain, echo dmg decrease doesnt affect poison dmg.
Nor conc effect for that matter.

This is why apep rage is like god sent wand if you want to do poison

Hmm. I guess I really need to RTFM on poison mechanics...

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
- chain support
Due to less damage on chain support is simply not is not worth it. Apep rage is sure nice for skele DP (playing it now and having fun), but I had no luck finding it (SFF).

What's an apep rage? or a skeleton dp for that matter?

I'm currently playing frost blades. I have now understood that PoE has at least 3 difficulity settings:
Easy - Totems
Medium - Spell
Hard - Melee

Almost died to act 5 kitava 4 times, fucker punches for a lot of damage.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
- chain support

What's an apep rage? or a skeleton dp for that matter?

I'm currently playing frost blades. I have now understood that PoE has at least 3 difficulity settings:
Easy - Totems
Medium - Spell
Hard - Melee

Almost died to act 5 kitava 4 times, fucker punches for a lot of damage.
Apep's rage (a wand) https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Apep's_Rage

Skele dp = Skeleton dark pact =Using skeletons to proc Dark Pact skill gem : https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Dark_Pact

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom