Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

ArchAngel

Arcane
This battleroyale poe is the most fun poe content I have yet watched on twitch.
I have not had time to try it yet but need to.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
So how hard are red maps in comparison to previous tiers? Just got my first red map drop

Hardess generally comes from mods and map bosses. To get red map bonuses you need to vaal them. That can create some nasty mods.
So I decided to run a tier 11 map, with an eldar guardian. Came within like 300 hp of death three times during the fight, had to log out once (no macro tho) to refresh flask charges. Did wind up winning though, so that was cool.

Edit: went up against enslaver, and he killed me with his first attack. :salute: Glacial cascade hierophant, you was a good build.

Last edited:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Enslaver was the lightning one? He had some shity attacks out of place.
I salute you for trying your first red map with elder influance. Rest in pepperoni.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Enslaver was the lightning one? He had some shity attacks out of place.
I salute you for trying your first red map with elder influance. Rest in pepperoni.
fire one, throws exploding stuff, I dodged into the chain explosion.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Man, you got a totem character using best spell in the game. How do you die lol...

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
So bruddas, for my next build I'm considering a vortex trapper of my own design (cue laughter). Planning on using Mirebough and volkuur's guidence (Hardcore players gasp! shieldless?! Preposterous!).

So far wip, but I think it could be decent enough. PoB pastebin is hier https://pastebin.com/FRPZv6ey if someone wants to have a good laugh or give comments on how to improve / abandon this reckless course.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Vortex has really bad AoE, traps are still pretty bad. You are a brave man trying to combine the two :)

I tried something similar few leagues ago, worked a bit but didn't enjoy it for long.

T. Reich

Arcane
So bruddas, for my next build I'm considering a vortex trapper of my own design (cue laughter). Planning on using Mirebough and volkuur's guidence (Hardcore players gasp! shieldless?! Preposterous!).

So far wip, but I think it could be decent enough. PoB pastebin is hier https://pastebin.com/FRPZv6ey if someone wants to have a good laugh or give comments on how to improve / abandon this reckless course.

Vortex is dogshit.
Aoe is irredeemably shit. Your aoe clearing will be absolutely shit, and you will hate every moment of it.
Base hit damage at lvl20 = 573. Compare with ice nova's 600 (and MUCH larger aoe), or frostbolt's 972 (and free pierce, and GMP that comes with 2x threshold jewels).
Scaling its aoe degen effect is dogshit as well: trap support gem doesn't scale it, aoe damage won't scale it (bye-bye conc effect support), hypothermia support doesn't work with dot, ele penetration doesn't apply to dot, while cluster traps support reduces damage of dot.
Why you'd want to use Volkuur's Guidance is beyond me - poison will be super-shit. Your average salvo of vortices will hit a single target, like, what, 3-4 times? Currently, the only way to make poison work is to 1) scale hits/sec like crazy 2) ignore the main hit scaling entirely 3) focus on dot increases exclusively.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron

Vortex is dogshit.
Aoe is irredeemably shit. Your aoe clearing will be absolutely shit, and you will hate every moment of it.
Base hit damage at lvl20 = 573. Compare with ice nova's 600 (and MUCH larger aoe), or frostbolt's 972 (and free pierce, and GMP that comes with 2x threshold jewels).
Scaling its aoe degen effect is dogshit as well: trap support gem doesn't scale it, aoe damage won't scale it (bye-bye conc effect support), hypothermia support doesn't work with dot, ele penetration doesn't apply to dot, while cluster traps support reduces damage of dot.
Why you'd want to use Volkuur's Guidance is beyond me - poison will be super-shit. Your average salvo of vortices will hit a single target, like, what, 3-4 times? Currently, the only way to make poison work is to 1) scale hits/sec like crazy 2) ignore the main hit scaling entirely 3) focus on dot increases exclusively.
These are very good reasons to not use vortex.

I do feel like there should be a good trap build out there though, Mirebough allows you to get a ridonkers 9link. But maybe not with vortex :)

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Man, you got a totem character using best spell in the game. How do you die lol...
It's literally in the post right above yours...
I know it is right above me, but I still don't get it. Aren't you HC people supposed to be super careful and over do with defenses?
I mean, people die in HC anyway.

There is no amount of defenses that you can have that will keep you alive against everything.

Vortex is dogshit.

I do feel like there should be a good trap build out there though, Mirebough allows you to get a ridonkers 9link. But maybe not with vortex :)
Go glacial cascade mines for stupid damage and also epilepsy attacks.

Ask Reich for details.

Hell, I am interested in that myself so Reich, can we get your build from Bestality league? Shit was dope!

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
My gf is playing a sabotuer withall king of traps. Lightning trap for shock then hits them with another elemental trap. She even uses that bear trap shield for culling strike too !
I live with a fucking hispter...

GC mines is easy, just get saboteur and all them mine nodes, use GC jewels.
Everything dies. I was literally sad to see how fast I was kiiling the guardians...

T. Reich

Arcane

Vortex is dogshit.

Dude.
Mirebough is gnarled staff base. Those only get 3 sockets max.
Mirebough is a budget leveling trapper 6L.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
GC Mines is a grate build, I played it through the entirety of WftA. Insane AoE and great boss killing.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron

Vortex is dogshit.

Dude.
Ah. Nevermind then. Bad form of PoB to not consider this.

Fuck this trap nonsense then.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Vortex is dogshit.

Dude.
Ah. Nevermind then. Bad form of PoB to not consider this.

Fuck this trap nonsense then.
Try this one : https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1945896
Bow trapper using buffed saboteur to destroy maps and bosses. Don't know if it is HC viable.

T. Reich

Arcane
It's literally in the post right above yours...
I know it is right above me, but I still don't get it. Aren't you HC people supposed to be super careful and over do with defenses?
I mean, people die in HC anyway.

There is no amount of defenses that you can have that will keep you alive against everything.

Vortex is dogshit.

Go glacial cascade mines for stupid damage and also epilepsy attacks.

Ask Reich for details.

Hell, I am interested in that myself so Reich, can we get your build from Bestality league? Shit was dope!

Here: https://pastebin.com/WChAdbqF. Set up shows bossing vs shaper/guardians. Multiply tooltip by x2 (GC hits twice usually), x4 (number of mines laid), then divide by 0.27 (mine laying speed).
Here you can look it up on the official website (character name djCrWVPqXM, RIP "Mein_Kampf_" :argh:): https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/T_Reich/characters
Detonate mines totem does the detonating. Damage doesn't factor in the "Gain 28% of Physical Damage as Extra Damage of a random Element" on the sceptre; it's another 12% more dps if it did. Gear is p. gud, spent a lot of time for the right woops on poe.trade even on SC temp, paid around 15 ex total for all of it, but there were some insane brodeals there, so it's prob worth closer to 30.

In reality, you don't need all that shit, because damage is really easy to ramp up even on a low budget.
Core items:
*Helmet with "place an additional mine" mod - that's +33% dps right there (you lay 3 with cluster trap); rough equivalent of "+1 arrow" for bow builds.
*Shaper 1h with at least 30% phys added as ele damage (any ele) + 1-2 other damage stats. Those minimum stats come cheap, but if you're too cheap/SSF, get an ilvl75+ sceptre/dagger and you can easily roll yourself one.
Everything else is life + resists + mana/mana regen (extra damage mods on shield and ammy are nice, but not mandatory).
My armor was bought as white 6L, and then I just chaos-spammed for a bit.
Both rings were cheap as fuck.
Ammy is a pure luxury, you can buy one with life + crit multi + res for some hilariously low amount of orbs usually.
Good abyss belt is a luxury, just for that extra jewel slot. A good vanilla belt will work just as well.
Gloves + boots are borderline scam trades (people are stupid and don't master-craft their shit before selling it). A simple trip to Haku bench turned 30c gloves and 10c boots into items of approx 5-8x times that value.
Hatred is nice for extra damage, but it's totally optional. Herald of ash/defensive blasphemy curse (or both) would work just as well, if not better.
I'm thinking about crafting the aspect of the spider onto ammy, and dropping hatred for herald of ash, so that I could get cool hinder and extra damage from the aspect.
I play without GC threshold gems (rare ones with life + 2x damage mods are better overall, but are also harder to get).

On skills:
cwdt+detonate mines is mandatory - helps you out in situations where you're laying mines while being under attack.
detonate mines totem is mandatory - that's how you kill bosses/abysses/breaches quickly and efficiently.
vaal clarity is mandatory - a mana flask alone won't cut it, when it's time to burst down a boss.
frost bomb + arcane surge - easy quick damage buff for bosses.

On passives:
DO NOT PICK MoM. It drains your mana; and you want your mana for your mines.
Acro+Phase Acro is a must. A real life-saver.
No aoe nodes on the tree are needed. Mine ascendancy + inc aoe gem will let your mines offscreen enemies.

Your defense is acro + blind + a bit of block (basically, less than 1/4 of enemy attacks connect), and 10% reduced damage taken from blinded enemies (and all enemies will be blinded). Adding enfeeble/TC blasphemy aura is a viable option.
6k life is doable, 6.5k is also possible if you dump some crit nodes.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Try this one : https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1945896
Bow trapper using buffed saboteur to destroy maps and bosses. Don't know if it is HC viable.
4600 life, no notable defense other than some mediocre evasion. I'd say it's not even remotely HC viable, certainly not for me. Do people in SC typically play with such paltry defenses?

I am considering learning how to play a melee character though. Frost blades or mjolnir seem like fun places to start, but haven't found any build for either that could work as league starter and HC. Has to be workable on its own because I can't be arsed to make a currency farming character first.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Sunder is pretty good. I love playing Blade Flurry bleedsplosions, but it kindda sortta got nerfed this patch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom