Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

AMG

Arbiter
As far as I understand it yes, poison is no longer scaled from projectile damage, so those penalties don't apply. Same for Chain, since it is now only for hits

T. Reich

Arcane
The nerf police's report is in, boys!
RoryNerf.gif

Path of Nerfs

Post your thoughts here, while we still have time!
I'm still processing my reactions towards these particular nerfs (!do note that those are just some of the major ones listed; there's bound to be more minor nerfs at least.)

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Helmet prices with +2 barrage projectile enchant going to skyrocket.
I wonder what they gonna nerf next. Totems? Elemental equilibrium ? Armor?
:hahano:

Edit:
Ohi wow, not that I've the time to get past 95 but still...

99 to 100: 40% more experience needed

Edit 2: RIP wither

Last edited:

T. Reich

Arcane
OK, my opinions, point by point:
VP + acuity = FINALLY. There's been enough said on that topic already. Acuity's rework is decent - it still retains the old quality of "get VP without VP's drawbacks and having to get VP on the tree, but on crits only".
Slayer and life leech nodes = ugly, and IMO unwarranted. Sure, the new VP would have forced the Slayer meta hard, but the problem was not the Slayer's brutal fervour keystone, but rather the staggering lack of good leech effectiveness nodes on the passive tree. IMO, they should've micronerfed the Slayer (cutting the bonus to +5% from +10%) and then also ADDED more of various leech effectiveness bonuses all over the passive tree. Right now, life leech is effectively gutted UNLESS you go VP or Trickster (or both, actually - that's my expectation of the new life leech meta); previously you had at least a pick between VP or Slayer. LGoH begs for a good deal of buffing overhaul, too.
MoM = unwarranted. Sure, it made the leveling easier for casters - SO WHAT. It's not like it's leveling that matters here. Given the current state of leech for casters specifically, MoM's role in maintaining their survivability cannot be overstated. Nerfing it looks like a kick in the shin right now.
Wither = ok, it was really strong, and it still is, just somewhat less so.
Vulnerability and Despair curse switcharoo = I don't like it at all. Vuln was a perfectly fine and balanced (and versatile!) curse in terms of what effect it provided. I have felt for a long time that it should've been simply switched to a str+int base. And now we get a new curse purely for chaos characters who don't really need it (they have planty of other options to consider), and phys melee already had a very strong option in Punishment - it doesn't need another curse that basically does a similar thing.
Dark pact = all fair. Only the OP selfcast bonuses were nerfed.
Barrage +proj lab enchant = all fair. It's not the first OP enchant to be nerfed this way.
Doomfletch = also fair. This is still the best bow in the game in terms of raw damage potential, if you build for it.
QotF = I suppose something had to be done (it's been done to curtail the extreme lab speedrunners first and foremost), but I'm not sure if what they came up with is the best decision. GGG again goes the dangerous way of kneecapping the "stacking" playstyles where stacking of one thing is definitely advantageous. It's not like QotF was auto-BIS for an evasion build anyway.
RotP = I feel like it's totally unnecessary. My guess is that, again, GGG's reason for this nerf was mostly (if not only) due to some extreme abuses of max fire res stacking (and certain damage mitigation comboes it opened up) that the select few players engaged in, but the end result for the general playerbase is shooting RF builds in the knee.
Leveling to 96+ = whatever. The sperglords may cry as much as they want, but it won't deter them anyway. The remaining 99,99% of the playerbase wouldn't be affected in any way.

All in all - ok, I suppose. Gotta see the buffs and the smaller nerfs, too.

I'm much more worried about the reflect rework, anyway.

Hyperion

Arcane
All the nerfs were good, but I don't know if they were enough. Barrage nerf was pretty funny saying they wanted wanders to have more single target options though. Such as? Yeah, we'll be waiting awhile, hahaha. I planned on going Slayer this patch, and probably still will, because Champion got fucked by Taunt Immunity and not enough people play it for GGG to really care or take notice and help the Ascendancy out. I know it's not going to happen, but giving Brutal Fervour something else in exchange for the leech rate would be cool. Still doesn't fix the Slayer's main problem in that the overwhelming majority of builds grab Headsman, then Brutal Fervour with little to no thought of picking Impact or that other one nobody fucking cares about.

Maybe this will make the 4th choice a bit more difficult, but Impact is for namelock which makes it highly unpopular by design (Ancestral Call will help out a little bit), and Overwhelm is generally useless unless you build SPECIFICALLY for stun. Things you would stun are likely dead in one hit, while things you don't immediately blow to pieces (bosses) have too much HP for 1 stun to matter.

The core issue of enemies being too slow and not nearly aggressive enough still remains, though. As long as this is the case ranged will shit all over melee (Sunder doesn't fucking count).

Last edited:

T. Reich

Arcane
As someone who played Slayer several time just to pick Impact specifically, I can say that it's a very weak keystone in the current meta:
1) brutal fervour gives an extremely high survivability boost - or, rather, it USED TO.
2) impact gives entirely too little of an aoe (both its own and the % bonus from the keystone), which got even worse after the aoe scaling nerf.
3) melee splash gem provides a much better aoe AND aoe damage than impact.
4) given how weak the non-boss mobs currently are relative to bosses, you use melee splash gem without compromising your clear speed, and then simply swap it for another dps gem at boss.

The impending slayer nerf will basically make it an ascendancy with 3x strong mandatory keystone picks, and 3x borderline-useless keystones that do not warrant an ulab run unless you're a completist. Basically, a saboteur.

Carceri

Arcane
MoM mana nodes nerfed, wthat the actual fuck?!

Waiting for the reflect rework now I guess. I sincerely hope they buff the hell out of it or make it considerably more dangerous.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Waiting for the reflect rework now I guess. I sincerely hope they buff the hell out of it or make it considerably more dangerous.
Yea that is nerf here I cared about. Now my LT inquisitor has to find 2 more passive points to put into mana somewhere to make up for it.

Seethe

Arbiter
Veterans of PoE, is the game playable for a casualfag like me? 1-2 hours per day, 4-5 hours per day in weekends. Can I explore all of the game's content per league, until the league ends?

ALL of content? Sure, if you're a veteran AND you're really gud.

Here's the perspective:
1) The "story mode" comprises approx character levels 1-70 and will take you anywhere from 10 (efficient veteran semi-speedrun) to 30 hours (explore every nook and cranny, no rush, actually talk to NPCs, plus first-time player's learning time) reasonably. It features all of the basic features the game has to offer, but almost none of the stuff that gets traction on r/pathofexile.
Then you're off to maps - the real endgame. Here it's YOU who decide what's your goal.
2) Taking a character to lvl 85 (a reasonable endgame goal) will normally take you to t7-10 maps depending on your luck with drops and general skills. It will reasonably take approx 10-30 hours again, depending on a lot of factors, including the major one - how much time you will spend idling in hideout mucking about with different stuff instead of actually running maps. You will normally see most of what the game has to offer of the more advanced game mechanics, but you will not have seen the most advanced stuff in terms of gear, atlas mechanics, or what can be considered "difficult" content (not even close). You may have encountered some of the more advanced league-related mechanics, but likely not the top end of what the league has got to offer. The amount of "grind" (having to repeat content in order to advance) at this stage is fairly low - you will spend a good deal of time simply discovering all the maps the atlas has to offer at this point. We're talking about at least 50 varied locations that differ by layout and tilesets, plus each has a unique boss that may look like something you've already seen during story mode, but usualyl features some extra twists. Ideally, at this point you won't even have to run the same map more than once, while the game throws progressively harder things for you to handle, so the game still stays fresh.
3) Taking a character to lvl 90 (it's where a lot of less demanding veteran players usually stop playing and either make another character or drop the game until new content altogether, or take a break) will normally take you into actual endgame (red-tier maps) and will require approx 10-30 hours again, depending entirely on how gud end efficient of a player you are. The grind becomes noticeably more pronounced, you will have to run repeat content a lot more simply to progress to new map tiers, or to even find better gear to be able to handle the content you'r at. Depending on your luck and determination, you will get into t13-15 maps and may or may not experience t16 guardians (aka the pre-bosses of the very endgame boss), and you're likely to have failed miserably unless you're a veteran with the "right" build. You will have run the endgame Labyrinth. You will have found a good deal of various gear, maybe including some of the more exclusive stuff. You will have likely encountered the very endgame part of the current temp league, but likely only a few times.
4) Going lvl90+ means you want to get all the game has to offer. Beat the Shaper and farm the shit out of endgame league content, and get the best gear the game has to offer. The grind is officially ON full-time here - you MUST do repeat content ad nauseum until you acquire enough resources to be able to do cerain things better (or at all). Engaging in trading is pretty much mandatory unless you're super good at game. Not for casualfags like you, unless you're REALLY damn efficient veteran player who wastes no time on bullshit (basically, 1% top player).

Most of your fellow Codexians who actively post in this thread fall somewhere between groups 2 and 3. A couple go full way into group 4.

Sounds good to me. Thanks for the in-depth answer

T. Reich

Arcane

Bad news:

The core points:
1) map mod stays as-is, for now
2) reflect on rares becomes a form of counter-attack skill - sorta like when those act 6 zombies launch their "souls" at your location when they die, except it's activated on "when hit" basis => that means you can manually avoid reflect now! That also means that "reduced reflect damage taken" mods become much less valuable.
That's also BAD NEWS for mines/traps/minions/totems - previously they took that reflect damage directly; now, YOU can (and probably will) be a target of that reflect counter-attack yourself. If that's true, going mines/traps/minions/totems becomes a shit option.
3) the new reflect "mortar" will not scale from your damage dealt, but from monster level instead => that means you can go full derp on damage per hit and not get 1-shot by retaliatory strikes. So, it's even more of a glass cannon meta.
4) the new reflect "mortar" will have an internal cooldown (as of yet unspecified duration) => that means that nu-reflect will actively punish the builds with slower attack speeds, while speed clear meta derp sanic builds will get a free pass with the new reflect.
5) oh, and it's a nemesis mod => so you'll see it much less often than now.

I'm reserving my final opinion on reflect until I see it live, but so far it sounds like a total shitshow.

Seethe Wanna join our prestigious(tm) guild? If you do - write any character name from your PoE account here, and I'll invite you.

Carceri

Arcane
Wow, I did not expect that.
It is very disappointing, reflect is going to be even more of a joke than it is now. This change makes no sense.
I was under the impression GGG is trying to tone down a bit the clear speed meta, but maybe I was wrong.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Wow, I did not expect that.
It is very disappointing, reflect is going to be even more of a joke than it is now. This change makes no sense.
I was under the impression GGG is trying to tone down a bit the clear speed meta, but maybe I was wrong.
They nerfed VP so they also need to nerf reflect.

T. Reich

Arcane
i wonder what will happen to legacy Vinktars

Nothing. Just as nothing happened to them before.
The flasks are only in perma leagues that 80% of the player base doesn't give a shit about, and they only number in 100s in terms of availability, and their prohibitive price (100-150+ ex depending on the rolls) makes them only available to some 0.0X% fraction of the entire playerbase.
They do not represent any sort of threat to the emerging meta.

Seethe

Arbiter

Bad news:

The core points:
1) map mod stays as-is, for now
2) reflect on rares becomes a form of counter-attack skill - sorta like when those act 6 zombies launch their "souls" at your location when they die, except it's activated on "when hit" basis => that means you can manually avoid reflect now! That also means that "reduced reflect damage taken" mods become much less valuable.
That's also BAD NEWS for mines/traps/minions/totems - previously they took that reflect damage directly; now, YOU can (and probably will) be a target of that reflect counter-attack yourself. If that's true, going mines/traps/minions/totems becomes a shit option.
3) the new reflect "mortar" will not scale from your damage dealt, but from monster level instead => that means you can go full derp on damage per hit and not get 1-shot by retaliatory strikes. So, it's even more of a glass cannon meta.
4) the new reflect "mortar" will have an internal cooldown (as of yet unspecified duration) => that means that nu-reflect will actively punish the builds with slower attack speeds, while speed clear meta derp sanic builds will get a free pass with the new reflect.
5) oh, and it's a nemesis mod => so you'll see it much less often than now.

I'm reserving my final opinion on reflect until I see it live, but so far it sounds like a total shitshow.

Seethe Wanna join our prestigious(tm) guild? If you do - write any character name from your PoE account here, and I'll invite you.

I'd love to actually. Will wait for the league to begin, and I'll give you a name then.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Here here, the patch notes we all were waiting for! https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2036231

• Vaal Pact has been significantly increased.
  • You can now drop items -- just not very many.
  • Monsters can now be found in the Epilogue town.
  • Iron Will can now Leap Slam.
  • Fixed a bug where Doedre could kill Abberath, the Cloven One before it transitioned into its later phases.
  • The Basilisk now has a cooldown.
  • Take too long, and the Trial of Ascendancy has been increased from 8 to 9.
  • Reduced the damage dealt by the trade API.
  • Earthquake's radius has been moved to the Open Sarn Arena.
  • The default minimum for Dynamic Resolution Scaling is now destroyed in Part 2. You should check it out. It's pretty neat.
  • Doomfletch: Now adds 100% of Physical Damage while holding a Shield.
  • Catarina missions which require you to disconnect.
  • Fixed a bug where French rare names were not destroying chests, cairns and barrels.
  • Sulphuric Striders and Undying Operators can no longer activate the map device.
  • Your minions (and their minions) will no longer simply flee.
  • Players can now smack around players who are having trouble very early on.
  • Path of Exile: The War for the most part, changed.

Gerrard

Arcane
Congratulations! You've won Black Hole Portal Effect as a prize for your achievements in the Turmoil Event. Press "M" in-game to check it out!
:happytrollboy:
I think it's supposed to be Mayhem, but yeah.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom