Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

T. Reich

Arcane
I've been trying to think of a way to abuse the new herald based chestpiece for a build, https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/The_Coming_Calamity

I feel like with the recent dot changes, getting a 5 link herald of ash (or maybe two heralds, like ash and frost?) on that thing could be really brutal. Lots of potential 'ailment' damage to add to it.

But I'm not sure how to make it work against bosses without adds, aside from some janky shit like worm blasting. Maybe make it a stunlocking build? High single damage hits would fit well into both aspects, and lone bosses tend to be the most vulnerable to stunlocking. Or maybe a dot/viper strike build, using the herald for trash clearing.

Worm blasting it is. I use the worm flask in my slayer chars usually, because it really helps to maintain their on kill bonuses, as well as providing a good amount of overkill damage leech from the worms.
Similarly, you could use the worms to really apply a huge overkill burn via hoa.

That being said, the chest is mostly aimed at hoi+hot "autobomber" type of builds that also use abberath's hooves. These heralds really scale up with extra gem levels that the armour provides.

Varvarg

Educated
You should jump on the Debeon's dirge meta now if you want to reap the benefits. It's a 1 chaos unique with power almost comparable to disfavour. There will be a nerf to this after the league.

Cyclone or warchief totem is popular atm.

Levelling a cycloner now, just because i want to try the new cycloning mechanics.

I'm still at my necromancer dark pacter, and she rocks! Works good as magic finder.

Levelling sure feels slower now tho, anyone else feels the same? I noticed they nerfed XP gain slightly at "higher levels"

ArchAngel

Arcane
You should jump on the Debeon's dirge meta now if you want to reap the benefits. It's a 1 chaos unique with power almost comparable to disfavour. There will be a nerf to this after the league.

Cyclone or warchief totem is popular atm.

Levelling a cycloner now, just because i want to try the new cycloning mechanics.

I'm still at my necromancer dark pacter, and she rocks! Works good as magic finder.

Levelling sure feels slower now tho, anyone else feels the same? I noticed they nerfed XP gain slightly at "higher levels"
Or instead of Debeon's Dirge you use Frostbreath and play a Sunder Raider like this one: https://pastebin.com/7Cu5Qh8b

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
It's mostly the changed density/amount of packs on certain maps that used to be extremely efficient. Promenade/Strand got gutted for example, crypt/necropolis on the other hand are bursting with mobs. For pushing 100 most people were running either sextant blocked shaped racecourse or shore, and it didn't seem to take much longer, if at all, than during legacy.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The loot seems a bit better but they take way longer to kill now, summon twice as many waves. The stronger ones are also pretty much indistinguishable from the weaker ones too, it's just a glowing blue clusterfuck.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
Do they ever drop a full item? Chance to drop one would make them something less of a chore.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Re-started playing a bit, for the new content. It's been a while. New acts are refreshing, layouts are also more straightforward, less dead-ends, so leveling is much more smooth.

I'm trying SSF for the first time. It seems particularly viable now, what with Skill Jewels being more accessible, and the Harbinger league. The league is pretty underwhemling (but who cares man, 3.0 stuff is enough), but the Horizon and Harbinger orbs (which allow to change a map to anther of the same level or a level higher) are going to allow Atlas progression much more easily for a SSF character. I tired doing the whole Atlas SSF when it came out last year, and it was painful, had to half-abandon the SSF part by T13.

Of course, with SSF, my character is lulzily basic. I'm playing a Cleave Gladiator (yeah I know). It's actually pretty ok with the Cleave Jewel, which you can get for a quest. I was going for a Sunder build, but that would require some uniques to get the most out of it. I'll see if I SSF until the end.

Btw, does anyone know if the SSF stash can be transferred to a non-SSF character, without making the SSF character non-SSF?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Btw, does anyone know if the SSF stash can be transferred to a non-SSF character, without making the SSF character non-SSF?
Pretty sure you'd have to cart it over manually by making SSF characters, filling their inventories and then transferring them to non-ssf.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Pretty sure you'd have to cart it over manually by making SSF characters, filling their inventories and then transferring them to non-ssf.
Ughhh... I'm too lazy. I'll just un-SSF when I'm done with the character I guess.

Grif

Learned
Trying to spec out my fire trapper to a miner. Anyone got any suggestions on a fun spell to use with this? Is Arc viable?

Fire nova mine is a solid choice, as always.
Current miner streamer meta is glacial cascade - the skil lwas significantly reworked in 3.0.0 and now has excellent damage scaling potential.

Thanks. Trying that now. Tried my trapper out in some maps, turns out you can't reliably chain fire surge into fire trap in sequence, and the damage is kinda pitiful anyway, so that idea is a bust. At least not a total loss since I share roughly 80% of the same nodes as a miner.

T. Reich

Arcane
Regarding the whole harbinger thing.

In the grand scheme of things, the solo harbingers you encounter during normal gameplay are pretty much tiny previous of the true endgame glory that is the unique harbinger map.
And even then, we're talking the red-tier one, T15.
You do NOT run this map solo. You do it in rotation, or sell spots for it and run as a 6-man team.
The map is huge and features a simply staggering amount of mobs (about 1k by my rampage counter estimates). Mobs that give great exp, no matter what level you are.
Through the sheer quantity of mobs alone, you're almost guaranteed to make your investment in a map via high-tier map drops alone. Needless to say, bisco's collar works wonders here.

And then there's the boss encounter, which features like at least a dozen of souped-up harbingers bringing forth hordes of mobs (probably as many as the map itself gives).
Yes, the mobs and the harbingers don't drop any loot, which is definitely a nerf to the map. But the orb and unique shard drops make up for it, especially if you get lucky with unique shard drops.

3 maps will let you go 89 to 90, 5 maps will let you go 90 to 91.
And the map is much safer than poorjoy's, and maybe even gives comparable loot.

Damned Registrations

Oh god, it doesn't even have a proper boss, it's literally just a bunch of garbingers one after another, complete with waiting for them to summon shit over and over and over again. What a terrible league. It's like it was made for bots. There are probably builds that could literally just stand there and let summons finish the 'battle' while you make a sandwich. And they don't even drop the loot till the end so you have to stand around doing nothing between waves then spend like 5 minutes looting your fucking alteration shards.

T. Reich

Arcane
Nigga please, I can carry a group in this map - it's ez.
The 2 reasons you want a group there:
1) These goyim pay you sheckels to get in, which makes running the map for you completely free. Zero cost.
2) Party loot multiplier means moar map and currency drops.

Running this map solo is a good way to get disappointed real fast.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Oh god, it doesn't even have a proper boss, it's literally just a bunch of garbingers one after another, complete with waiting for them to summon shit over and over and over again. What a terrible league. It's like it was made for bots. There are probably builds that could literally just stand there and let summons finish the 'battle' while you make a sandwich. And they don't even drop the loot till the end so you have to stand around doing nothing between waves then spend like 5 minutes looting your fucking alteration shards.
FREE GAME NO BITCHING

Damned Registrations

Nigga please, I can carry a group in this map - it's ez.
The 2 reasons you want a group there:
1) These goyim pay you sheckels to get in, which makes running the map for you completely free. Zero cost.
2) Party loot multiplier means moar map and currency drops.

Running this map solo is a good way to get disappointed real fast.
Strolling along with no difficulty sounds pretty disappointing too tbh. It's a shame all the fun content in the game is unprofitable to run. Can't even run a decent map without spending a bunch of chaos on it to get the map itself and mods that actually do anything, and even then those mods won't give decent loot modifiers because it's the safe mods that give more drops.

Just strikes me as super weird that after making all these new bosses and minibosses, they couldn't have set aside one of those minibosses for a final encounter for the league? Pretty sure people would have been ok with one less minor god.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
There's already not enough minor gods as it is, Act 10 is missing a mid-act boss entirely while act 9 only has 2 additional bosses. Garukhan is a pretty cool fight, but the basilisk is disappointing especially after the lead-up with the petrified soldiers. Most of the zones in act 9/10 don't even have a unique zone mob. I'm fairly certain there will be changes to some of these zones/bosses in the near future, once the dust from the 3.0 release has settled. Malachai had 6 relatively tough fights before him in short succession, Kitava had absolutely nothing.

Fall of Oriath was always marketed as a revamp of the leveling structure, with little to no changes to the endgame. I don't know why people are surprised that the endgame feels like it didn't change much. It wasn't supposed to.
Harbinger feels quite similar to Invasion, only you don't get oneshot from offscreen. The unique items are all pretty weird but most of them have decent uses for at least a couple of builds, which is how uniques should be in my opinion. A bunch of them have stats that aren't available on a single other item, which makes them actually unique.
The Beachhead provides great XP and drops a shitton of maps and the change to the loot in the final fight was desperately needed. The returns from running a biscos and a bunch of iir gear was fucking insane. I did a couple of T15 Beachheads before the harbinger changes, even running a very strict filter my game was starting to lag before I finished the encounter. I accidentally pressed alt once and was immediately greeted by my desktop because the game absolutely couldn't handle it. I also got about 10-15 T14+ maps out of every single run aswell as 1-3 harbinger orbs, which made chaining it quite easy. That's not supposed to happen, so I can understand why they changed harbingers the way they did. I also get way more harbinger/annulment shards since they changed the harbinger drops, so I don't really understand why people are complaining about those changes either.

Harbingers themself are fairly easy, at least for the build I am running. However I've already heard plenty of people complain about the obelisks/new harbinger, getting oneshot by the laserbeam and stuff like that. It really accentuates the importance of not being a glass-cannon, an idea which a lot of people in non-hc leagues seem to be very uncomfortable with. As a league mechanic it's about as intrusive as Invasion, only without the offscreen oneshots. You can also easily skip them if you wanted to.

All in all I quite enjoy the league. My biggest concern is with how absolutely fucking garbage people have become ever since breach/legacy. The entitlement is incredibly strong with most of the people on the forums/reddit, complaining about every single little thing.
Stuff you regularly hear for example:
-"The Boss hp nerf was stupid, it now takes me 6 minutes to kill a boss"
-"I got oneshot by the harbinger lasers, they don't even drop that much loot if you finally kill them"
-"They nerfed density on strand by at least 75%, wtf GGG?"

You can easily see how most of these people started playing when getting easy defense through ES was a major issue, double-dipping was running rampant and running T11s was better for XP than anything else in the game. Well, now things have changed a little and all these little crybabies can go fuck themselves and play D3 if they want 20 uniques per boss, the impossibility to die thanks to "cheat death" mechanics on every single fucking class and 15$ necromancer DLC instead of a 60$ Supporterpack that comes with 55$ worth of points and a set+pet.

This entire expansion was supposed to revamp the leveling to draw new players in, looking at the player count they absolutely fucking succeeded with that. Now they have the time to look at other things again, and I am fairly confident the next challenge league will be way better than harbinger. I sure hope they incorporate many of the new bosses and rework the atlas a little, the endgame has become quite stale since the release of atlas and no leveling experience is going to make up for over a year of no new challenging endgame content (shaper release was the last one).

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

I'm fine with the added boss hp, but this isn't exactly the first league that's added a shitton of extra inventory management. Why the fuck do we need exalt and chaos shards when we already have like 20 div cards that do the exact same fucking thing? Answer: Sell moar tabs.

Edit: Easy bandaid fix for the endgame would be to make maps like Mao's and Olmec's and so on about 10x more common. They aren't so profitable compared to ordinary maps anyways, and their mechanics are a nice fun change of pace from the usual generic grind. But some of these are so rare they cost upwards of a fucking exalt.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom