Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

T. Reich

Arcane
999 ex b/o? You fiend!

I wouldn't be surprised if there are actual takers for this price.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
Man, in the four years since I played this they have added an insane amount of content.

Doing solo self found on softcore legacy and playing a necromancer build I found on the forums. It was the only build guide I found that didn't require a bunch of uniques and gems a new player wouldn't have.

Lots of fun so far. Just got to Act 4 and really digging the new NPC's and Maraketh race.

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
999 ex b/o? You fiend!

I wouldn't be surprised if there are actual takers for this price.

if i flip smtg, it better be worth my time.
actually its prolly smarter to wait until Standard Collectors are able to throw some mirrors at me.
drop rate is < Mirror, only 3 found this league (and i assume LOTS of players grinded this league).
but whatever, i had the spare currency and enjoy getting teached fishing stuff from some guys atm.
if i loose currency on this item, no biggie either

Jason Liang

Arcane
Man, in the four years since I played this they have added an insane amount of content.

Doing solo self found on softcore legacy and playing a necromancer build I found on the forums. It was the only build guide I found that didn't require a bunch of uniques and gems a new player wouldn't have.

Lots of fun so far. Just got to Act 4 and really digging the new NPC's and Maraketh race.

I put a Prism Guardian in the guild stash for you. There's also an Ephermal Edge in there too. If you want any tweak gear, speak up. League is dying rapidly.

Nevermind.

The two hotties guarding Highgate (you see them just before you enter the city from the Aqueduct) are hilarious. They are the best animated characters in the whole game...

ArchAngel

Arcane
Newcomer to the game here, decided to jump in without doing much reading on mechanics. Picked ranger and I have a couple of annoyances right away:

-Camera is too zoomed in; I can't use my character's bow effectively

-Map is garbage, especially the overlay version

Other than that it seems alright so far.
The camera is something you get used to. And is a very conscious decision made by the devs to limit both the player vision and the ranged weapons effective range. But still, you can easily off screen kill mobs with ranged attacks and spells.
It is more likely they decided that their shit engine will not be able to work with bigger camera view. And now after years of people playing it that way they call it a design decision and keep it that way.

T. Reich

Arcane
Well, the concept was nice enough. It's the horrible micromanagement issues that made them annoying to use.
Very reminiscent of Talisman league overall, sadly. I really liked talismans, but the execution of the idea was horrible.

Jason Liang

Arcane
leaguestones were a good source of side income for me. That and belts.

The most terrible design choice was to have each leaguestone have its own level cap. That made it a chore to match stones with similar caps to burn or to vend together. It got better once you got to the end, and no longer had to deal with the caps. Also by then we knew which stones were $$$ and which were poop.

At least stones are always worth picking up. I still don't know what to do with blue T1 talismans. Or wose, blue T3 talismans.

Last edited:

deama

Prophet
Newcomer to the game here, decided to jump in without doing much reading on mechanics. Picked ranger and I have a couple of annoyances right away:

-Camera is too zoomed in; I can't use my character's bow effectively

-Map is garbage, especially the overlay version

Other than that it seems alright so far.
I don't like the zoom level either, it's not too bad in the beginning or if ur playing ranged, but it gets worse when u get a lot of speed going.

If u run the game windowed mode and squeeze the window so it's very wide but not very high (e.g 1980x500) you'll get a bit more of a "zoomed out" effect.

T. Reich

Arcane
Ok, so the announcement of the races/events is in. Plenty of mtx and beta key rewards for better racers out there, and a couple of longer-term events.
A few new types of events, too.
I'll be back for some of the events, gonna rattle the old bones a bit, maybe I'll get lucky with the raffles.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Ok, so the announcement of the races/events is in. Plenty of mtx and beta key rewards for better racers out there, and a couple of longer-term events.
A few new types of events, too.
I'll be back for some of the events, gonna rattle the old bones a bit, maybe I'll get lucky with the raffles.
Oh I need to check these out. I am not interested in beta key (I will let others beta test the game and find good starting builds :D) , but some of these longer events might be interesting.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Tried to get a betakey during the 24h BLAMT race, since 50 out of 200 people who finish it will get one, and there probably won't even be 50 people who complete alltogether. It was fun while it lasted I guess.
1e7535305d.jpg

Died to blood-orb shotgun (the one he throws at you), would've been first (and probably only) witch to finish but I guess having fun is not allowed. Over 80% of people who managed to kill Malachai are playing AW Mara/Templar bullshit, not a single witch/shadow.

Edit: Just realized I didnt have codt+immortal call equipped, would've easily survived that attack if I had and all the others wouldn't have been an issue anyway. Fuck me.

Last edited:

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
I put a Prism Guardian in the guild stash for you. There's also an Ephermal Edge in there too. If you want any tweak gear, speak up. League is dying rapidly.

Nevermind.

Oh, thank you.

I appreciate the thought but I kind of like to play solo and wanted to get my necromancer past the difficulties and reach the endgame on my own with this build. Then the drops I get will determine what builds I try to make.

The thing I love about action rpgs is the gambling aspect of item drops and things like online trading or auction houses just suck all the fun of that out of it for me. That is actually why I stayed away from Path of Exile for so long, because item drops are balanced based on the idea that you will be trading instead of just grinding monsters only.

T. Reich

Arcane
The balance isn't that skewered in favour of trading.

IMO, if you play purely solo, the ratio of trash to relevant drops (relevant as in for your current build) isn't that much different from other major ARPGs (comparing to D1, D2, TL2, TQ) - you will find a decent deal of relevant drops over time, but at no point you should expect to find perfectly-matching endgame drops just because you wish so (a lot of retards who play PoE actually expect the latter).
The only exception to that is Sacred, simply because Sacred's loot drop (for uniques and skills) is heavily biased towards the class you're playing, while it's extremely easily to acquire powerful loot via rapid-fire vendor resetting.
In fact PoE has it much better for solo play compared to these games thanks to absolutely disgustingly overpowered mastercrafting, very flexible and powerful currency crafting, as well as semi-deterministic farming in form of divination cards.
For comparison, D1 had nothing, D2 had runewords (heavily RNG'ed for higher runes) and horadric crafting, TQ had nothing, TL2 had limited and RNG-heavy socket crafting.

ArchAngel

Arcane

IMO, if you play purely solo, the ratio of trash to relevant drops (relevant as in for your current build) isn't that much different from other major ARPGs (comparing to D1, D2, TL2, TQ) - you will find a decent deal of relevant drops over time, but at no point you should expect to find perfectly-matching endgame drops just because you wish so (a lot of retards who play PoE actually expect the latter).
The only exception to that is Sacred, simply because Sacred's loot drop (for uniques and skills) is heavily biased towards the class you're playing, while it's extremely easily to acquire powerful loot via rapid-fire vendor resetting.
In fact PoE has it much better for solo play compared to these games thanks to absolutely disgustingly overpowered mastercrafting, very flexible and powerful currency crafting, as well as semi-deterministic farming in form of divination cards.
For comparison, D1 had nothing, D2 had runewords (heavily RNG'ed for higher runes) and horadric crafting, TQ had nothing, TL2 had limited and RNG-heavy socket crafting.
What you are saying would be true if PoE also didn't have the socket system on top of everything else. Yes, the socket system was somewhat made easier with addition of Masters but it is still not anywhere close to those other games you mentioned where when you got an item with better stats it was an immediate upgrade and there was not this whole layer of value you had to look at or invest through masters.

Zdzisiu

Arcane

What you are saying would be true if PoE also didn't have the socket system on top of everything else. Yes, the socket system was somewhat made easier with addition of Masters but it is still not anywhere close to those other games you mentioned where when you got an item with better stats it was an immediate upgrade and there was not this whole layer of value you had to look at or invest through masters.
Making an item into 5L is disgustingly easy. The only difficult to obtain links are 6L. And you most certainly don't need a 6L to play the game comfortably even at endgame. Sure, you won't have the best, most perfect dps but that won't stop you from clearing 90% of the available content.

And some skills doesn't even need a 6L.

And you can farm cards for some of the 6L items and then craft them.

Or you could save a lot of fuses, (and buy them regularly from vorici for jewellers) and finally get the 1500 fuses for guaranteed master crafted 6L on any item you desire.

Really, the only time you might have some problems with getting 5L is at the very start of the league, when you just didn't play enough to gather 100+ fuses and 500+ jewellers. A few weeks into the league, and you modify the gear to your heart content.

Well, unless you try to swap every piece of gear that is even a slight improvement. Like +5 hp and 3% more resistances, I need to swap and 5L this chest!

Also, can someone from SSF tell me how they feel about the availability of 5L and jewellers orbs and fuses? Is that a pain in the ass or not a problem?

ArchAngel

Arcane

Making an item into 5L is disgustingly easy. The only difficult to obtain links are 6L. And you most certainly don't need a 6L to play the game comfortably even at endgame. Sure, you won't have the best, most perfect dps but that won't stop you from clearing 90% of the available content.

Or you could save a lot of fuses, (and buy them regularly from vorici for jewellers) and finally get the 1500 fuses for guaranteed master crafted 6L on any item you desire.

Really, the only time you might have some problems with getting 5L is at the very start of the league, when you just didn't play enough to gather 100+ fuses and 500+ jewellers. A few weeks into the league, and you modify the gear to your heart content.

Well, unless you try to swap every piece of gear that is even a slight improvement. Like +5 hp and 3% more resistances, I need to swap and 5L this chest!

Also, can someone from SSF tell me how they feel about the availability of 5L and jewellers orbs and fuses? Is that a pain in the ass or not a problem?
Nothing you said here disproves what I said, it only confirms it.

Zdzisiu

Arcane

Then I must have misunderstood your problem.

I thought your problem is that gear with links is difficult to acquire.

But I do understand that yes, links are another layer of randomness added on top of gear stats. I argue that this layer is easy to deal with and does not prevent, or even make significantly harder to acquire reasonable gear solo.

ArchAngel

Arcane

But I do understand that yes, links are another layer of randomness added on top of gear stats. I argue that this layer is easy to deal with and does not prevent, or even make significantly harder to acquire reasonable gear solo.
You are just used to it. Go play Grim Dawn or try to play D2 again and it is just not true that it is not significantly harder. Try to remember how often you replaced your gear with something else in those games and how often you do that in PoE.

For me I don't bother with replacing gear at all. I use whatever I can until I am in merciless and then I buy what I need with exact stats. When I didn't do that, the game became significantly harder with many builds.

Zdzisiu

Arcane

You are just used to it. Go play Grim Dawn or try to play D2 again and it is just not true that it is not significantly harder. Try to remember how often you replaced your gear with something else in those games and how often you do that in PoE.

For me I don't bother with replacing gear at all. I use whatever I can until I am in merciless and then I buy what I need with exact stats. When I didn't do that, the game became significantly harder with many builds.

And now we could argue about the word "Significantly" but that really wouldnt be very productive.

So yes, it is harder to gear in PoE than in other action rpgs because of the additional layer of sockets.

But I think it is a good thing. Or at least neutral thing when you take into account the advantages of the sockets system.

T. Reich

Arcane
The only difficult to obtain links are 6L.
If only...
Tabula is farmable in a4 cruel alreadythanks to Humility.
Celestial justicar (6L astral plate) is farmable in t9 Crypt.
Chains that bind (6L random armor) is farmable in merc Crematorium.
Dapper prodigy (6L random armor ilvl100) is farmable in t12 Residence.
Hell, you can even farm for Ethereal (6L vaal regalia) in uber lab (chests) and normal atziri.
Vorici's guaranteed 1500 fus deal is easily achievable after a month of diligent play.
Finally, you can force corrupted 6L drops with several sextant mods.

ArchAngel

Arcane
If only...
Hell, you can even farm for Ethereal (6L vaal regalia) in uber lab (chests) and normal atziri.
Vorici's guaranteed 1500 fus deal is easily achievable after a month of diligent play.
Of you can play D2 without specific needs and places to farm and get upgrades all the time while not needing to worry about things like sockets.

T. Reich

Arcane
If only...
Of you can play D2 without specific needs and places to farm and get upgrades all the time while not needing to worry about things like sockets.

play D2:
> without specific needs and places to farm - countess runs, pindleruns, wsk runs, pit runs, meph runs... All while decked out in MF gear that you had to farm for beforehand.
> get upgrades all the time - no more than you do in PoE if you play SSF.
> not needing to worry about things like sockets - runewords.

As I said before - you're full of shit.

ArchAngel

Arcane
If only...

play D2:
> without specific needs and places to farm - countess runs, pindleruns, wsk runs, pit runs, meph runs... All while decked out in MF gear that you had to farm for beforehand.
> get upgrades all the time - no more than you do in PoE if you play SSF.
> not needing to worry about things like sockets - runewords.

As I said before - you're full of shit.
Then explain to me how I finished D2:LoD on Hell Act 5 with multiple characters solo or just with one friend with almost no farming?
And all the while getting upgrades from lvl 1 up to 85 or so.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom