Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

ArchAngel

Arcane
This weekend there's a MAHSIVE skill effect transaction sale!

Pretty much all alt skill effects went on sale, with good discounts.
And you get a free mystery box with any purchase (as low as 5pt for an mtx).

Gonna buy a 200pt bought a supporter pack just to buy several I wanted for a LONG time.
Best deal!
I only care for sales that involve shash tabs and such.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Loot management is the bane of my existence currently. There's a never-ending ocean of shit running across my screen at all times even while using a strict filter, but it's difficult for someone with minimal experience to discern all of the desirable base item types aside from a few obvious ones like Titanium Spirit Shield or Vaal Regalia, it can also be difficult to know what stat ranges are good (though safe to assume 99% are shit as-is), and in any case ilvl determines how powerful mods can be, so I'm not even sure I should bother with any of it (aside from chaos recipe and maybe rings and belts with desirable implicits) until I'm consistently running red maps... which might not ever happen unless I start blowing all of my currency on red maps from poe.trade. Then again red maps tend to be too spicy for me to take on alone anyway, despite having some quite good gear. I suppose I could replace Bisco's Collar and Item Rarity Support for an extra edge.

Basically, I feel backed into a corner. I have a river of shit loot that I've got little to no idea what to do with, red maps that almost never drop and that tend to be pretty difficult for me even when they do, and an XP penalty on sub-red maps that slows my XP gain to a crawl to the point that if I die even occasionally, I end up losing progress rather than gaining, which is highly annoying and discourages me from taking risks.

On top of that my Ranger crashed and burned, and the economy is now a slow piece of shit because dead league.

Could also just be that I played too much, too quickly, and that I need to relax and maybe just wait for the new league/expansion.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Looting is easy, just remember that if it's not the perfect base at ilvl 84+ then don't even waste a scroll on it, it's 1alc junk. Problem solved.

It could also just be that I don't want to believe the loot system is this gay and top-heavy.

SIMMER DOWN

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
well, i pick up all rings /amus on T11+ maps on top of currency and high tier maps.
6 sockets ...well, as long as my backpack allows. too lazy to go back to town and sell in between the map clearance

ArchAngel

Arcane
Most of my wealth is gained by doing chaos recipe and selling rares for alt shards (20 alts is 1 chaos). I don't farm Uber Lab, Uber Atziri or Shaper and random drops from mapping rarely gives me anything good.
When I got lucky I would have 1 or 2 ex drop or get one multiple ex worth item drop that I can sell. The rest is picking up all currency (then turned into better ones through vendors and masters) and what I said above.
I let me try out any builds I wanted, I usually have 5+ character per league fully geared and at lvl 80+

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Well, yet another issue for me is that while I've done some research into big (or at least medium-sized) moneymaking, such as by watching the two-hour-long jewelcrafting video that T. Reich linked the other day (surprisingly simple and easy; I'd figured out the basics before I even watched the video), 3.0 is coming and the meta is very likely to change. GGG plans to kill double-dipping for a start, and may also alter the CI meta.

I have an overwhelming amount of information to parse and yet it's very likely to change pretty soon due to the major changes in the pipeline. For someone who's new and learning everything for the first time, this transitional period is a challenge.

Even without crafting or farming big-money drops though, it's absolutely possible to grab enough currency along the way to level and gear a character to level 80+, yeah, and that's a good thing that I definitely appreciate. Becoming a turbojew who can afford 20ex+ gear pieces for his build takes some doing and a lot of experience, though. After 3.0 I imagine the road will be a bit smoother.

T. Reich

Arcane
Here's my slowboating loot routine. Disclamer: it takes entirely too much time anyway, but it always pays off in the long term.

Always loot:
-all orbs transmute and up in value.
-most ok base (yellow background colour) 3x1, 4x1 or 2x2 items. Basically - 1h (wands and daggers), shields (es only), gloves+boots, most helmets.
-all maps that I know I'll run or be able to sell. That means all maps at start of the league, t8+ once i'm doing maps around that tier, t10+ late in the league.
-all jewes and jewellery
-all q gems
-all divination cards
-all league-specific loot (essences, leaguestones, talismans, breach shards, etc...)
-all 6S items (good deal!)
-all small (3x1, 4x1 or 2x2) RGB items
-all qflasks for glassblower recipe (skipping this in late game, but early on it's dual purpose - you get a supply of glassblowers to use on your good flasks, and you transmute+aug the white qflasks you find so that maybe you get lucky and get a good flask this way)
Rationale: orbs are always gud for sale or crafting (and sale of crafted items later), rare helmets/gloves/boots are much more easily sold compared to weapons or body armour (I make a lot of chaos selling them), jewellery can either sell well or is a chaos recipe fodder. The rest of "always pick up" loot takes up very little space or is worth a lot.

Loot and id, skip if shit:
-some top-tier armor and weapon bases with high ilvl. Totally optional.
-most uniques. 3x1, 4x1 or 2x2 ones can be picked up to vendor for decent amount of alch shards usually.

Only loot if necessary:
-low-tier maps and stone hammers for chisel recipe (mostly pick up while leveling and only if have spare space in inventory while mapping). Chisels always sell and/or are useful in high-tier mapping, and doing this during leveling will usually net you 100+ chisels per character with minimal effort/time invested. Skip this if you're tight on stash tab space.
-portal scrolls (only when I run out).
-missing rare items for chaos recipe (only if I already have the full set of jewellery needed for a full set).

Never loot (shit is worthless unless you're leveling early on in a league and need some starter cash):
-3x2 1h.
-3x2/4x2 shields.
-non-q gems (high lvlreq popular supports and skills are ok during week1 of a league to sell for 1 alch per to boost early wealth).
-5-links (unless on a top base with high ilvl).
-high ilvl bases (chances are, by the time you got to them, the marked is already flooded with them thanks to there being thousands of players who are better than your scrub ass).
Rationale: all of this crap never sells. Odds of you finding a rare weapon/armour/non-es shield that will be so good as to be better (and more expensive) than one of dozens of great and cheap uniques are next to none. And altshard-to-inv space taken ratio is way too low for these.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Here's my slowboating loot routine. Disclamer: it takes entirely too much time anyway, but it always pays off in the long term.

Always loot:
-all orbs transmute and up in value.
-most ok base (yellow background colour) 3x1, 4x1 or 2x2 items. Basically - 1h (wands and daggers), shields (es only), gloves+boots, most helmets.
-all maps that I know I'll run or be able to sell. That means all maps at start of the league, t8+ once i'm doing maps around that tier, t10+ late in the league.
-all jewes and jewellery
-all q gems
-all divination cards
-all league-specific loot (essences, leaguestones, talismans, breach shards, etc...)
Rationale: orbs are always gud for sale or crafting (and sale of crafted items later), rare helmets/gloves/boots are much more easily sold compared to weapons or body armour (I make a lot of chaos selling them), jewellery can either sell well or is a chaos recipe fodder. The rest of "always pick up" loot takes up very little space or is worth a lot.

Loot and id, skip if shit:
-some top-tier armor and weapon bases with high ilvl. Totally optional.
-most uniques. 3x1, 4x1 or 2x2 ones can be picked up to vendor for decent amount of alch shards usually.

Only loot if necessary:
-low-tier maps and stone hammers for chisel recipe (mostly pick up while leveling and only if have spare space in inventory while mapping). Chisels always sell and/or are useful in high-tier mapping, and doing this during leveling will usually net you 100+ chisels per character with minimal effort/time invested. Skip this if you're tight on stash tab space.
-portal scrolls (only when I run out).
-missing rare items for chaos recipe (only if I already have the full set of jewellery needed for a full set).

Never loot (shit is worthless unless you're leveling early on in a league and need some starter cash):
-3x2 1h.
-3x2/4x2 shields.
-non-q gems (high lvlreq popular supports and skills are ok during week1 of a league to sell for 1 alch per to boost early wealth).
-5-links (unless on a top base with high ilvl).
Rationale: all of this crap never sells. Odds of you finding a rare weapon/armour/non-es shield that will be so good as to be better (and more expensive) than one of dozens of great and cheap uniques are next to none. And altshard-to-inv space taken ratio is way too low for these.

This makes me feel a lot better. I pretty much do exactly this (including and especially chisel recipe), and the main thing that stresses me and always has stressed me is worrying I might be skipping/trashing a good rare. It helps that I have plenty of stash space, including a quad tab where I dump stuff to be sorted/turned in later.

I still do pick up quality flasks and too many scrolls, even though baubles are like 8/1c. I probably shouldn't.

I think the next thing I'll do is read absolutely all of the documentation for Neversink's loot filter, which should teach me some important things about loot bases and shit.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I do the bauble recipe for a while until I got extra. I don't sell them because I craft new pots for each of my characters instead of sharing those I made perfect.

Also I loot recipe items (6s and rgb). Chisel I do only until I run out of white maps.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I do the bauble recipe for a while until I got extra. I don't sell them because I craft new pots for each of my characters instead of sharing those I made perfect.

Yes, I've started doing this as well. I now only keep flasks for characters I'm actually playing, and tailor the mods to their needs. I make sure they're all 20% quality now too, because that's pretty easy and cheap. It's nice to have white quality flasks of all levels (past the earliest) saved up so that I can bauble and magic/aug them as needed while saving some baubles along the way, but not necessary.

I'll identify magic quality flasks to see if their mods justify spending a lot of baubles on, but if the mods are shit they immediately go in the bauble recipe pile.

I never pick up blue flasks with no quality anymore, that just means spending a lot of baubles unnecessarily. White ones are actually better!

T. Reich

Arcane

Also I loot recipe items (6s and rgb). Chisel I do only until I run out of white maps.

Oh, yeah!
I do all of those, too. Updating.

T. Reich

Arcane
I never pick up blue flasks with no quality anymore, that just means spending a lot of baubles unnecessarily. White ones are actually better!

I pick up blue high tier life/mana and all utility flasks early on, when they're harder to come by.
That's the source of our guild's 4th tab glassware, if you were wondering :P.

ArchAngel

Arcane
If you are guys interested in real monies it is in making a good uber lab character and then farming uber lab enchantments. You buy (or get) high level good base items (like ES helmets) and enchant them in uber lab and put them for sale. From what I learned from people in TL guild, this is the fastest way to get rich. it also helps that if you can go for lots or max keys in uber lab you can gets lots of valuable items from chests at the end as well.
And earlier you can start farming uber lab more you can charge for these items while the economy is still controlled by the few.

Personally I cba to do that even with my CI Zealot's Oath Detonate Dead Ignite character being more than able to do this.

Most popular early league character for this is I think a Earthquake two handed Juggernaut with lots of life and life regeneration

Jason Liang

Arcane
I know that league is almost over but now that we have some space in the guild stash, could we start a coin pool? Everyone who can afford it deposit 1k coins just in case Cadiro ponies up a Mirror or Skyforth for 10k or something like that. I'm down for 1k. Good idea?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I know that league is almost over but now that we have some space in the guild stash, could we start a coin pool? Everyone who can afford it deposit 1k coins just in case Cadiro ponies up a Mirror or Skyforth for 10k or something like that. I'm down for 1k. Good idea?

Seems like a decent idea to me.

Quatlo

Arcane
I've put them in 5th tab

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
Shaped Spider Forest gave me 2x Doctor cards in under 50 runs (but high investment each maap on stones, sextants ect), if it wasnt for my arachnophobia, i could as well try to get the HH via cards this league.
:keepmyjewgold:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I've put my Jew gold into tab 5.

Got some more vendor trash from the Ancient Reliquary today, exciting times!

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Alrighty, added some jew gold.

Starting to plan an alternate version of Michael "Totem" Bay around Emberwake and The Calling. The Calling is a bit expensive (probably most of my chaos at the moment), but it's a fun toy to play with. It (potentially) adds so much increased damage I'm wondering if it's even worth getting elemental/spell/etc damage or just getting some crit chance (probably too low to be worth it) or ignite chance/duration instead. No crit mult, obviously, since that's negated too. As for getting the ignites, maybe a firestorm totem (or two) with faster cast/increased duration/ignite chance. Of course if I go that route then I can't make use of the Razor if I'm CI (ugh). But if I'm CI I also can't use Tukohama's because of the blood magic (which also has no energy shield). Decisions decisions.

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
znooogvn.jpg

casual craft goal accomplished! anti meta life shenanigans, here i come

Jason Liang

Arcane
So I was doing my dailies before work this morning and saw a notice posted by a player who had Cadiro selling HH for 27,130 coins. He didn't have enough coins so he was either looking to buy coins or to sell the offer to another player, except he wanted 40 ex as finder's tip in that case. Well I had to go to work and didn't have time to negotiate with him, so I put the rest of my coins (4500 total) and 38 c's in the guild stash and told other guild members what was going on before I logged off.

Anyway, it seems we didn't get the HH but the takeaways for me:

1) Our current 5,000 coin bank wasn't enough to cover a 27k HH, so I've put most of my coin stash (4,000 coins total) in the guild stash. 5k is nice but we really need the bank to be about 25k-30k coins.

2) We probably could have negotiated a situation (if we had been able to scrounge up the 27k coins) where we could have met the player's tip of 40 ex after the sale of the HH. So if we ever come across a similar situation, I think the best tactic is to offer the player his cut after sale, i.e., we would buy the HH and sell it for 80 ex and then give him his cut of 40 ex after the sale. While we wouldn't keep the HH the profit off of that would still be enormous.

3) We really had no incentive to sell him coins at market value (last time I checked that was roughly 200: 1c)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom