Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

ArchAngel

Arcane
I've gotta side with Reich here. It's one thing if you don't like the fact that the game is designed around trading at all (games designed with mass player trading in mind are fundamentally different from those that are not, and this applies to PoE); but it's quite another thing if you just find the trading annoying.

The trading in PoE is really no different than in any online game. In fact, it's so similar to trading in Warframe that I've had to laugh on numerous occasions, and Warframe is a COMPLETELY different type of game in every possible way. The third-party site used to list items for sale; the buyer whispering the seller; sellers being busy in instances or AFK; the seller inviting the buyer to his "hideout" (dojo); price-fixing and gouging; occasional scam attempts or rude people; etc. It's all the same.

This is simply what a player-driven, free-market economy looks like in online games with rare drops and so on.

I got a lucky roll on my helmet when Reich and Zidisiu took me through uber lab, and I should be able to sell it for around 2ex. I can't, though, because I can't find an adequate replacement for it on poe.trade. I've been looking for two or three days for a helmet with 200+ ES, 90+ max life, and +2 to minion gems, which is actually quite a bit worse than my current hat... can't find a single result. Seems it's very difficult to find a helmet with very good endgame stats that also has +2 to minion gems.

I don't really care that much, though. It's just an item, and currency is just currency. If you play in League only, it all goes away soon enough anyway.
I don't play other online games, don't care for them. I still find trading system in PoE cancer.

And all you got in this league goes back to Standard at end, you don't lose anything.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
They really need to fix that strand farming bullshit metagame because its giving me cancer. Every random i meet in this game is hurr durr why would you ever fill the atlas and challenge yourself, just farm shaped strands and sell them bro.

Atlas was a mistake
I mean, do you really give a fuck what they tell you? They can run all their strands, all day, till 100 or beyond.

Different people enjoy different stuff in games, as obvious as it sounds.

Also, if the strand is changed, then some other map will rise in popularity, like gorge before. If the next map is changed somehow, then another one, maybe slightly less straight will be the most popular. Unless we want all the maps to be the Cells type of abomination. Well, that would also fix the clear speed meta I am sure.

Quatlo

Arcane
They really need to fix that strand farming bullshit metagame because its giving me cancer. Every random i meet in this game is hurr durr why would you ever fill the atlas and challenge yourself, just farm shaped strands and sell them bro.

Atlas was a mistake
I mean, do you really give a fuck what they tell you? They can run all their strands, all day, till 100 or beyond.

Different people enjoy different stuff in games, as obvious as it sounds.

Also, if the strand is changed, then some other map will rise in popularity, like gorge before. If the next map is changed somehow, then another one, maybe slightly less straight will be the most popular. Unless we want all the maps to be the Cells type of abomination. Well, that would also fix the clear speed meta I am sure.
The map layout is fine, I just hate how people have ONLY the strands unlocked in their atlas so its the only map they drop. Before atlas you couldnt do that bullshit.

T. Reich

Arcane
Well, it's not like they force you to do the same. You know we enjoy our full atlas and whatever random/rippy rare maps we're running.

Btw, reporting on the 2h CI melee experiment.
Tried the passive tree on lvl92 zerker, threw a few ok jewels on it, and some pretty decent gear.
Gear, passive tree, and overall numbers (pretty modest for currency invested, IMO) can be seen here - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1891875.
Tried sweep (still shit), sunder (ok), earthquake (good, as is to be expected).
Overall feels - disappointing. Not that much better than your average crit melee build, probably worse even. Of course, it would need a good few tweaks before being deemed suitable for endgame.
But as-is, my cleave WoE+BoR slayer feels MUCH more fun, as is vanilla EQ juggy.
Sure, fucker cleared a couple of rare t13's with little problems, but I wouldn't dare to put him against t16 guardians in his current state.

Leechmonger

Arbiter
It's one thing if you don't like the fact that the game is designed around trading at all (games designed with mass player trading in mind are fundamentally different from those that are not, and this applies to PoE); but it's quite another thing if you just find the trading annoying.

Like I said, the devs should either:
1. Develop the game under the assumption that players will play SSF (potentially eliminating trading)
2. Develop the game under the assumption that players will trade, and make trading not shitty

If drop rates are set such that trading is the defacto way to gear up (which it is for most people doing league endgame*) then the trading experience shouldn't suck.

I actually would prefer the game to revolve around SSF, but failing that at least fix your trading system.

* Everything from the drop rate on good uniques to the affixes on rares to the 6L lottery encourages players to trade

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
And all you got in this league goes back to Standard at end, you don't lose anything.

Yeah, but all the cool new shit is in leagues, and Standard's ancient economy is hilariously saturated, inflated, and small.

Even so, I've found several categories of items that should allow me to triple or quadruple my currency once my Legacy shit moves to Standard, by investing almost all of my liquid assets into them soon and then reselling them a month or so after the changeover... if they ever sell in Standard's sluggish economy, that is.

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
its smtg i dont quite get at this point:
every time a league ends, tons of shit is pumped into Standard. doesnt this fresh things up there at least for some time?

yeah, top end Standard marktet is cornered by a few guys, but who cares.
having the option to build almost every character without grinding my ass off is actually quite attractive to me.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
its smtg i dont quite get at this point:
every time a league ends, tons of shit is pumped into Standard. doesnt this fresh things up there at least for some time?

Well, people who only play League (a large number) won't even bother to sell their extra shit in Standard. I'm sure those who play mainly League but some Standard will have lots to sell, which is why I plan to wait a month or more before selling my "investments."

I may play around in Standard for a bit and/or revisit old characters, but I think I'll mostly be a League guy.

having the option to build almost every character without grinding my ass off is actually quite attractive to me.

How is that any different than doing it in League? If anything, it's easier in League, because there's lots of cheap leveling gear available on trade for a long portion of the League's lifespan, even once it's mostly "dead." As for high-end stuff, that's FAR more expensive in Standard.

Brutus' Lead Sprinkler is one of the items I plan to invest in. Cheapest one goes for 20-40c in League, but in Standard even the cheapest go for something insane like 2ex minimum. If my investments fail, welp, it's only Standard. No one gives a shit!

I'm asking out of curiosity, because I really have no idea.

ArchAngel

Arcane
There is really no point to buy stuff in league to sell in standard. You get items in league so you can use them in standard because you get them cheaper in league.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
There is really no point to buy stuff in league to sell in standard. You get items in league so you can use them in standard because you get them cheaper in league.

Yes, but I'm too new to know what I might want to stock up on.

I admire PoE because knowledge and experience are richly rewarded. Sadly, I'm lacking both at the moment, although I'm a whole lot further along than I was when I started.

I somehow managed to die twice in a row on Shaped Arid Lake today, despite the fact that I beat the enraged boss WITH the Shaper's special event attacks the very first time I played that map. First time through, a weakness to physical affix was too stronk for me, I think; second time, it was twinned and the bosses had big buffs from the map affixes.

I got butthurt and quit. :lol:

ArchAngel

Arcane

Yes, but I'm too new to know what I might want to stock up on.

I admire PoE because knowledge and experience are richly rewarded. Sadly, I'm lacking both at the moment, although I'm a whole lot further along than I was when I started.

I somehow managed to die twice in a row on Shaped Arid Lake today, despite the fact that I beat the enraged boss WITH the Shaper's special event attacks the very first time I played that map. First time through, a weakness to physical affix was too stronk for me, I think; second time, it was twinned and the bosses had big buffs from the map affixes.

I got butthurt and quit. :lol:
You use standard to test builds you want to use in next league. So you get key items for those builds.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Is there a significant gap between leagues, then? I guess I assumed this league won't end until the next one is about to begin.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Is there a significant gap between leagues, then? I guess I assumed this league won't end until the next one is about to begin.
Normally no, but I don't see how this league lasts until 3.0 is released. I think this league will end and beta for 3.0 will be released. Those that are not in beta will continue to play standard.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Why test builds for the next league in Standard then if you can just test them in the second half of the current league?

Sure this time might be an exception, but they're adding new Acts and shit, so it's a bit different.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Why test builds for the next league in Standard then if you can just test them in the second half of the current league?

Sure this time might be an exception, but they're adding new Acts and shit, so it's a bit different.
Because in standard you got multiple high level characters that you can respec easily, slap some gear on them and you are done. No need to go through same boring content from lvl 1.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Well, it's not like they force you to do the same. You know we enjoy our full atlas and whatever random/rippy rare maps we're running.

Tried the passive tree on lvl92 zerker, threw a few ok jewels on it, and some pretty decent gear.
Gear, passive tree, and overall numbers (pretty modest for currency invested, IMO) can be seen here - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1891875

I like how your marauder only picks about 3 key skills from the actual marauder tree then immediately fucks off elsewhere, haha. I didn't realise how there's all these crazy crit bonuses just outside of the marauder tree. I guess they're the slow, dependable types. That's certainly how mine ended up. Well, I'm at least glad to know my first made up build wasn't a complete failure. Just started a second almost polar opposite build to try something out, which I might use in the next one if it works as planned.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
The current idea is that there will be some kind of event between the end of Legacy league and start of 3.0. Not a full blown league, but some 2-3 weeks event that will probably make use of existing game mechanics in new ways.

Also, the big question right now is, when will the beta start. That will drain a significant portion of playerbase out of Legacy league, and make it into a truly dead league.

Also also, if anyone is interested, there was a manifesto about the Damage over Times changes that they will test in beta. http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1891945 part 1, part 2 will come next week.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Gear, passive tree, and overall numbers (pretty modest for currency invested, IMO) can be seen here - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1891875

I like how your marauder only picks about 3 key skills from the actual marauder tree then immediately fucks off elsewhere, haha. I didn't realise how there's all these crazy crit bonuses just outside of the marauder tree. I guess they're the slow, dependable types. That's certainly how mine ended up. Well, I'm at least glad to know my first made up build wasn't a complete failure. Just started a second almost polar opposite build to try something out, which I might use in the next one if it works as planned.
OK, this change might kill my Detonate Dead Ignite build which is very fun. You cannot clear maps fast but your clear screens fast and it is fun to play.
Whatever they do, Ignite not being based on 6% enemy monster max life will kill this build.
But it seems DoTs in general are getting buffed so maybe I will try the Caustic Arrow build as league starter. Occultist CI would work great with that one.
And Essence Drain is already super powerful and you can do all content with it, seems they might make it even more powerful now.

Last edited:

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
well, i think we look from different angles.

yes, you usual piece of gear is cheaper in Standard, but thats not my issue.
in Standard there are e.g. insane mirrored legacy items (for example with old >60% crit mult) ect, that can be fun to play and build with.
obtaining some of those is smtg i work towards long term. its not my main goal, but it will be nice to build insane niche out of meta builds with mirrored items.

i was thinking of buying just Diviner Orbs now and reselling them in Standard or smtg like that, might net me some solid base to put into my Standard piggy bank.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Aww, turns out what I thought was going to be a cool trick was actually just a poorly-explained mechanic. Or I can't read. No wonder it seemed to good to be true. Back to thinking up new and exciting trickery. Though if they're nerfing double-dipping on DoTs, that's another source of interesting behaviour gone. Seems I'm too late to have !!FUN!! exploiting broken mechanics, haha. Well, there's still those 2 ignitey rings to play with I suppose.

I guess it's back to Michael Bay build with boring "increase damage and have defences" mechanics. Or back to browsing the wiki and searching for other interesting possible combos.

I WANTED TO BELIEVE.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Hmm. Does "+18% to Critical Strike Multiplier with Totem Skills" and similar passives apply to spells cast as a totem with totem support? I can't tell if it means only skills that specifically cast a totem or what. Some of those nodes are up by the witchy tree so I'm assuming totem support spells would count.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Hmm. Does "+18% to Critical Strike Multiplier with Totem Skills" and similar passives apply to spells cast as a totem with totem support? I can't tell if it means only skills that specifically cast a totem or what. Some of those nodes are up by the witchy tree so I'm assuming totem support spells would count.
Yes, it applies to anything in anyway connected with any totem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom