Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
IDK how you can say you don't know if it is decline or incline.

Quick reason:

Sorry we can't add more skill bindings than 5 because we don't want to divide community gameplay wise....
We tried to design skill this way but it wouldn't work well on gamepad so we changed it this way....

I imagine now you will see less direct targeting skills

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
7AgVtdr.jpg

Soon

Zdzisiu

Arcane
IDK how you can say you don't know if it is decline or incline.

Quick reason:

Sorry we can't add more skill bindings than 5 because we don't want to divide community gameplay wise....
We tried to design skill this way but it wouldn't work well on gamepad so we changed it this way....

I imagine now you will see less direct targeting skills
Well, they said that this is the reason there will be two realms. One for PC and one for X-box since X-box players will have only 4 flasks, skills will be targeted differently there etc. So there is nothing that forces them to just make everything work on X-box.

But a part of me fears that this is the easier way. Make sure that shit works well on X-box first, and then dump it on PC. Also, I don't like the idea of development resources being split between PC and X-box, GGG might not be a small indie company anymore, but it ain't no Blizzard/EA.

I guess we will have to wait and see if GGG will pull a miracle and manages to avoid all of the pitfalls that X-box release entails.

Perkel

Arcane
Well, they said that this is the reason there will be two realms. One for PC and one for X-box since X-box players will have only 4 flasks, skills will be targeted differently there etc. So there is nothing that forces them to just make everything work on X-box.

But a part of me fears that this is the easier way. Make sure that shit works well on X-box first, and then dump it on PC. Also, I don't like the idea of development resources being split between PC and X-box, GGG might not be a small indie company anymore, but it ain't no Blizzard/EA.

I guess we will have to wait and see if GGG will pull a miracle and manages to avoid all of the pitfalls that X-box release entails.

I think you don't understand how it works.

In already concept phase of something new they will be throwing ideas and one of requirement will be "does it play good on console". Which also means instead of testing new skill, fine tuning it, assesing if this skill work ok and it is fun then releasing it they will have to redo work and find if this skill works good for consoles to and if not i bet they will throw that skill out and make somethign that fits both consoles and PCs.

GGG isn't Blizzard they are hardcore autists but money is powerful drug. Hopefully they will go ideal side aka treat PC as primary platform and port it to consoles regardless of what they do in PC version.

Zdzisiu

Arcane

I think you don't understand how it works.

In already concept phase of something new they will be throwing ideas and one of requirement will be "does it play good on console". Which also means instead of testing new skill, fine tuning it, assesing if this skill work ok and it is fun then releasing it they will have to redo work and find if this skill works good for consoles to and if not i bet they will throw that skill out and make somethign that fits both consoles and PCs.

GGG isn't Blizzard they are hardcore autists but money is powerful drug. Hopefully they will go ideal side aka treat PC as primary platform and port it to consoles regardless of what they do in PC version.
Dont worry, I know perfectly well how a design process for stuff can go, and I am aware that there might be the issue of "If it isnt gonna work on X-box then scrap it", thats exactly what I fear.

AMG

Arbiter
It's not like there is anything better on the horizion as far as the genre goes, but this string of questionable decisions doesn't bode well for the game long term.
I'm still going to return for 3.0 no matter what, but this is rather gay tbh.
You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain I suppose.

Zdzisiu

Arcane

AMG

Arbiter
What else can they say? They're obviously going to mantain that position, but everybody who wasn't born yesterday knows better.
It's not like the game is ruined. It just never will be as good as it could be without the burden of console compliant design.

They'll need to reduce the number of drops tenfold on the console version. I can't imagine playing this shit without an item filter these days.

T. Reich

Arcane
This is bad.

Consoles = decline, always.

Sure, some good that the advertise may come out of it short term, but what's gonna happen once the honeymoon is over? It's going to get ugly.

duanth123

Arcane
Huge news:

3.0 or should we say ACT5 officially confirmed Xbone version of game which will be exactly the same as PC version - different control setup and people on consoles will be put in their own network so console and PC people will be separate:

Trailer, there isn't much new stuff in it aside from some in game cinematics and SNOW titleset. So ACT5 will probably have something to do with snow and as rumors go we will probably visit Oriath.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1821330/page/2

Oh boy, here we go.

With that trailer hitting all sorts of emotional notes (as a player since closed beta) and for all the unintended reasons.

May I suggest a change of thread title?

Perkel

Arcane
Here are two links with some quick answers from GGG about the X-box PoE, balance and stuff like that:

http://www.pcinvasion.com/path-of-exile-impact-xbox-version random website interview with Chris.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1821427 New Development manifesto about the X-box release.

TL : DR: GGG says they won't compromise the PC version for X-box and that the console release will be a net positive for PC players too.

Yeah like net positive where he says that he had to hire new people for console version to improve PC versious performance...

I am like wtf are you doing.
I guess let's see and wait approach is best to use here.

Doktor Best

Arcane
They'll need to reduce the number of drops tenfold on the console version. I can't imagine playing this shit without an item filter these days.

Which would be a good thing for both versions.

Reduce clearspeed, reduce loot drops. Gearing and reaching endgame is way too fast currently in the game, especially for some overpowered speccs.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Just great, as soon i start playing this game decline already hits.
There is no way pc version won't be effected by this and this post from their own forums posts a good reason:
"The cynic in me says the performance improvements should have been prioritised regardless of the port version, and assigning their value to the port's existence is porky at best.
You say you don't want to jump down a rabbit hole, but you're already looking at it in the rear view mirror. PoE's major draws are difficulty and depth of mechanics. The former is a moving target, the latter is getting watered down more and more as time goes on. You say console and pc will be developed separately, but that simply isn't the case. You aren't going to completely alter mechanics to function entirely differently from one version to the other, and you aren't going to spend time developing new mechanics that don't function well on the console version, which means that the game will have a glass ceiling in this area.
Unless the two games are literally divergent from each other, with different design teams and completely separate skills and back-end mechanics, console is already affecting PC as we speak, because there are choices that you need to make that you cannot make with a console version in the wings. Its existence snuffs out all hope of certain changes being made that many were hopeful would eventually come.
Can only hope to be wrong, but history from other game(s) show us the reality."

ArchAngel

Arcane

Why would anyone play with item filter...
You obviously have not reached mapping if you write stupidity like this.

And the game has now a default item filter. I guess that one will be for console peasants.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Also I wonder how spells like Flameblast will work on a controller.. It needs both targeting and channeling.

T. Reich

Arcane
Also I wonder how spells like Flameblast will work on a controller.. It needs both targeting and channeling.

Choose a point on the screen, keep pressing the button to channel.

Since you're using a controller, you'll miss the intended targets, because you're a console peasant.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Since you're using a controller, you'll miss the intended targets, because you're a console peasant.
Have you seen the console gameplay from the trailer? There is no mouse cursor to move around the screen to choose a target or a point with. They didn't even show any spell or skill that needs this to work. Maybe their solution is to take out Flameblast and similar skills :D

T. Reich

Arcane

Have you seen the console gameplay from the trailer? There is no mouse cursor to move around the screen to choose a target or a point with. They didn't even show any spell or skill that needs this to work. Maybe their solution is to take out Flameblast and similar skills :D

There is no mouse cursor in PC PoE videos either. They have and use the option to remove the cursor for their promotional videos.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Still I didn't see them use any skills like Flameblast that are not centered on you and that are not projectiles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom