Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

ArchAngel

Arcane
What's the point of guilds in PoE anyway? Is there some sort of guild specific content or somesuch? Genuinely curious.
For me it is so I can read people talking about the game without spam that general chat is full of.
Also guild members usually help each other with advice, cheap gems your class has no access to, maps you need for atlas, uber lab trials, daily quests of masters, price checks and other little things.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Currently I am playing two characters simultaneously, mostly depends on which one I feel like playing that day.
One is Bladefall poison trapper Saboteur. Acrobatics/Phase Acrobatics based, lvl 88 with 4500 life. I did Xoph, Esh and normal Atziri with him. Have not started red maps yet.

Second is lvl 86 Totems Elementalist focusing on fire damage and ignite.
This is a weapon swap build. For map clearing I use Xoph's bow (upgraded version) and Signal Fire quiver with Rain of Arrows + ranged totem.
To battle bosses and hard essence rares I swap to Ngamahu Flame axe and AW totems. It has lower AoE and no prolifiration but more than double dps.
This build only lacks Xoph's Blood amulet for more fire damage pen and no need to waste points into Avatar of Fire.
I only done Xoph with this char and only in a team with one friend. I am playing this one less until I can finish Uber Lab and get that amulet (I want it to drop because I bought everything else, I hate it how you are dependant on trade to do builds.. at least I managed to 6s5l that Ngsmahu Flame AXE myself). This is a life based build although it would work better as CI especially since I am using Shaper Gloved to get bonus accuracy from my highet Int and bonus phy melee damage from high Dex.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Economy is standard. Build of the league/week/month components bring big monez and some always rare items as well. If you follow what popular streamers do you can see what items are going to next ones that everyone will pay big bucks for.

Hyperion

Arcane
Took the dive and bought a Starforge for a Lacerate Slayer. I'm going to be pissed off if it doesn't go full beastmode as I'm hoping. Unfortunately, I'm going to need to 6 link it (running a Kaom's heart) if I'm going to want to fully optimize the damage with a Poison support gem. Voidheart is sexy, but simply isn't gonna cut it.

Capping the resists is also a hell of a challenge as I've a Devoto's Devotion, Ming's Heart, and Kaom's Heart. I may replace the Devoto's for a generic helmet with life, dexterity, and chaos resist.

If it doesn't pan out as I hope, I might just go with Xoph's Nuture Chieftain Tornado Shot build. None of the main streamers have played it, so it's relatively cheap (with the exception of The Taming) for the power it looks like it brings to the table.

sser

Arcane
Developer
This game is pretty dope. Probably making a shitty character, but the overall gameplay just feels right. (Being free may be an influence...)

Zdzisiu

Arcane
5 mins in and tabula dropped... took me a while to utilize those slots(still not really).

having fun with esense drain + contagion and have question regarding that one. Should I get rid of that tabula and get cheap gloves with +1 to gems or keep using tabula. Im inclined to believe that gloves would be better option

actually im a bit confused what increase esense drain dot. Description says that spell dmg modifiers do. Does it mean tree nodes?
How about supports. For example its projectile, will both pierce and slower projectile increase dot dmg or just initial part?

Whats more, how much will I benefit from using consuming dark? ED seems to be mostly about dot, not initial projectile dmg. Is multi poison stack worth it? Will it be even better if I went life shadow instead and carry both consuming dark and bino?
Not rly following min/max build, just researching on my own

EDIT:
tree ive put together, more or less what I aim for in early 70is
About what increases the DoT on ED:

• Damage over time: Modifiers to spell, projectile, chaos damage, and damage over time affect the damage over time component of this spell. Modifiers to Spell Damage apply to this skill's Damage Over Time modifier also affects other damage over time effects created by this skill, such as poison or ignite.[1]
Multipoison stack? I dont think it will be worth it, you are not doing any physical damage and its a big component of poison damage, also you dont apply a lot of poison stacks since you wont hit the same monster many times in a short period of time.

The way of ED is more about using it alone as a single target melter and with contagion as a AoE clear. Also, give Abyssal Cry a look, it works very nice with ED.

Also, lets summon T. Reich

ArchAngel

Arcane
Forget about bino and poison and focus on bonus chaos damage and spell damage. There is a one handed scepter that gives I think 90% bonus chaos damage. You can also link ED with Void Manipulation and Controlled Destruction. Both should boost both parts of ED. Don't link Added Chaos damage with ED as "Added..." supports don't work with DoTs.
Also you can google a bit, I am pretty sure there are multiple full guides for ED as it is a popular, strong and cheap build played by many as a league started.

ArchAngel

Arcane
200 hp heal? A huge boost? Are you on drugs? And you lost lots of bonus damage. Get a good CHaos damage one handed (THIS ONE) and a high ES shield with spell damage.

T. Reich

Arcane
Ok, boys, I'm here to lay down the real shit on ED.

1) ED's "spell damage modifiers affect DoT" means exactly that - ALL OF THEM. From passives, from jewels, from gear, from support gems, increased or more - doesn't matter - THEY WORK.
2) That means all of these damage mods work on ED (and also on poison and decay that are inflicted by ED) - chaos dmg, generic dmg, dot, projectile dmg, spell dmg.
3) ED is a purely single-target skill. In order to make it have good aoe clear, contagion is used. Contagion is not a damage skill, even though it does some damage. The two most important things to scale with it are its aoe (so it could cause multi-screen cascading desctruction) and its duration (which should be no shorter than ED's duration). Adding cast speed is also nice.
4) That covers most of aoe clearing capabilities of an ED build. You cast contagion over a pack, you hit any affected mob with ED, it melts, then everything else in that pack melts, then everything else near that pack melts, and so on until ED's original duration timer runs out.
5) You want to have a good aoe clearing capabilites - you get 1 (one) duration cluster on the passive tree. It really helps.
6) Blue packs will take a bit longer to clear that way. Solution - abyssal cry. It scales really well with most of what you get for ED. Link it with inc aoe and void manipulation gems. If you can spare the 4th link (and you really should), add poison (unless you get that from consuming dark or cospri's). Optional fun: you can also link life leech gem to it, and it'd heal ya real good. Also, it's the one skill that would let you be amazing in party play.
7) In order to make ED have good single-target damage is to slap poison and/or decay on it. It makes the difference between ED being "meh" vs bosses to it being one of the best non-bugged boss-killers in the game (except vs two poison-immune bosses).
8) Poison is da best. Because it will inherit all the ED's damage mods, by double-dipping fuirously. Also benefits from that duration cluster that we must take for contagion. HUGE damage. And it stacks.
9) Get that poison via poison gem, cospri's will armour (if you are playing a non-CI/lowlife ED), or the consuming dark dagger. All three choices are good depending on your build variant.
10) Add decay (via essence of delirium craft) on top of that for another very strong non-transferable single-target melter, that also laughs at poison-immune enemies. You want both eventually, really.
11) The best 5-links for ED are: ED + controlled destruction + void manipulation + rapid decay + slower projectiles.
12) 6th link choices:
*poison - actually a 5th link instead of slower proj if you get your poison via gem. SP becomes the 6th link for this variant.
*empower - worse than the rest, but is the best if you're a rich bitch and have a +1 gems armour and a lvl4 empower. Otherwise don't bother, because it doesn't double-dip with poison/decay.
*pierce - if you want that pierce for some weird reason (you don't, and if you do, better use those shaper's boots instead, they're real good). Strictly inferior gem choice, but at least it double-dips.
>if you're into PVP, keep the LMP/GMP gem around, it'll make short work of any non-CI build if you can land a hit.
13) best weapon choices for ED:
*crafted essence of delirium dagger (sai base) with decay mod, with extra spell damage and/or dot (leo's mod) on it - sai for whirling blades and extra block, decay for superb single-target damage (also helps with aoe clears by killing the first mob much faster), extra damage mods are just gravy.
*the consuming dark dagger -"free" poison on hit and decent damage boost. Best complimented by another strong damage-booster in another hand. If you get your poison from elsewhere, pick other weapon.
*breath of the council scepter - good aoe boost, great skill duration boost, decent skill damage boost. All round a good choice. The only drawback - it's not a dagger (now whirlies for you). Solution - dual-wield with dagger, or use with shield for shield charge as movement skill.
*bino's kitchen knife dagger - only good for poison proliferation. Means you must have poison on ED, or this dagger is utter shit. Then again, it only really helps with aoe clear speed, and it's shit vs bosses. Once you can afford the decay mod dagger, bino's goes into the dumpster.
*a shield - if you must use one, pick the es base with a strong spell damage mod.
14) best flasks for ED:
*witchfire brew - extra double-dipping damage, extra damage aura-curse, and defensive boost as well.
*the dying sun (aka shaper flask) - extra projectiles for ED, extra aoe for ACry and contagion. Superb aoe clear speed flask, iuf you can afford it.
15) best ascendancies for ED:
*witch (occultist) - the only source of enemy chaos resistance reduction in the game. Must go CI with it, and make good use of its ES recharge mechanics. +1 curse ascendancy is a great bonus.
*shadow (trickster) - definitely weaker than occultist, but still half-decent. Haven't tried it.

That's all there is to ED. Nothing else to discuss here. This shit has been done by multiple people multiple times, these are the best practices. You want to try something else - don't run back crying that ED is shit. It's not ED, it's you.
...Oh, and then there's my iron will berserker variant, but it's a special advanced variation (still up there with the best of them), and I'm too lazy to discuss it here. If you're new to ED - stick to basic routines.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
That's because you haven't seen it. I soloed all content with it. All of it.

Lots of retarded builds can handle all content. Being "up there with the best of them" doesn't mean "can solo all content", it means: literally as efficient as the best. I'm willing to bet your berserker mainly falls behind in the survivability-department relative to the best ED builds.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
To clarify: what sets working builds in PoE apart isn't their ability to handle content, but to handle it as safely and efficiently as the best builds.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Scion is also a source of Chaos resistance reduction. And you can take deadeye or some other secondary option (deadeye gives you +1 free projectile)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

3XhCWVr.jpg

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Hey I like the Scion. It's my kind of RPG class. Too bad it has a history of either being all-out insane or strictly subpar. Currently the latter is the case.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom