Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

ArchAngel

Arcane
I have been trying out a chaos/poison Assassin with dual Daresso's Passion swords, Snakebite gloves and 3x Pacifism jewels (-1 frenzy charge) for a permanent 160% increased damage and 100% poison on hit.
Only problem is my survivability as the market is dead on Standard and I cannot buy decent ES/resist gear as I want to do CI with this char.
Another problem with this character is that a key part of the build (100% inc poison on crit) needs me to do Uber Lab which is soo far away on this badly equipped character.
I am doing this with Blade Flurry which mostly makes this build work :D
Edit: if they kill BF, my only two options are Lacerate which has bad attack speed for stacking poison or Cleave which has bad AoE.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Pure occultist is still more powerful, because Wicked Ward + Soul Strike.

Now, if you want to go life-based CA (WHY?), then scion is probably better.
Scion gets -chaos resist and extra arrow and pierce from deadeye. That makes your caustic arrows be better at clearing maps. And to get 100% pierce you only need support OR passives.

T. Reich

Arcane
Occultist also gets that -chaos resist, and more.
Extra arrow can come from the quiver, but is not really necessary - the spread isn't that big unless you carefully aim, and overlapping CA aoe doesn't boost the damage.
Pierce comes from the gem but is also entirely unnecessary unless you're using Drillneck (and you don't because Soul Strike).

Plus occultist has it super-easy with going tri-curse and utilising Heretic's Veil to its fullest.

Then again, it's a matter of preference.

T. Reich

Arcane
And don't you shit on cleave, the aoe on it is pretty close to lacerate's aoe, just in a different area coverage. Which is incidentally *better* for spread-out packs, while lacerate vs cleave is only better in the gorge-style layouts.

All while cleave is better in terms of pure damage and attack speed for dual-wielding.

ArchAngel

Arcane
And don't you shit on cleave, the aoe on it is pretty close to lacerate's aoe, just in a different area coverage. Which is incidentally *better* for spread-out packs, while lacerate vs cleave is only better in the gorge-style layouts.

All while cleave is better in terms of pure damage and attack speed for dual-wielding.
Ok, but the point was that both are weaker than Blade Flurry :D
Then I was mentioning the possible advantages of both as I see them. Lacerate has better forward AoE which is more important to me as I want to stay away from enemies :D Also skill description says that targets in the middle get hit by both waves for 2x damage so that should make it good for single targets. Cleave has better base attack speed and decent damage.
Both still seem to be inferior to BF at least for this build that needs to stack poison. If BF didnt get damage boost with each attack or less damage boost, it would probably be on par. But I hope they boost Lacerate and Cleave in the patch :D
Aztiri's Promise will be awesome for this build of mine, I might try to skip Warlord's Mark and just use that flask. As for defenses I guess I need to buy items I need in Essence league and then wait for it all to transfer over.

T. Reich

Arcane
Then I was mentioning the possible advantages of both as I see them. Lacerate has better forward AoE which is more important to me as I want to stay away from enemies :D Also skill description says that targets in the middle get hit by both waves for 2x damage so that should make it good for single targets. Cleave has better base attack speed and decent damage.

There's a catch though. Lacerate deals less than half of dual-wield cleave's with each swing, and both swings are slower, and overlap only in a fairly small area directly in front of you. DW cleave does consistent, full, large damage all over it's pretty large aoe (70% inc aoe cleave covers roughly 2/3 of an entire screen in a wide arc), and it's faster than lacerate.

And, yes, both were inferior to reave, and all three are inferior to BF now.

Doktor Best

Arcane
POE really is a game with a good core hidden somewhere underneath a heap of purely shit design choices, pretty much the same like Diablo 3. I am currently playing Grim Dawn and it is feeling just so much better, because it is so much more low key. In POE as soon as your characterbuild starts to take shape you just proceed to explode the whole fucking screen with a mouseclick. No need to aim, no need to pay attention to what monsters do, no need to manage your ressources. Its the epitome of casual borefest shitgameplay. Diablo 3 has a more engaging combat system but the rest of the game is just the same and the same and the same again and again and again.

Its just goddamn baffling how both industry giants cannot see the very obvious problem their games have. This is some retardedness on Bethesda level.

Grim Dawn is also not perfect, but it would be the king of the genre if it had server sided multiplayer and some form of true endgame.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane

There's a catch though. Lacerate deals less than half of dual-wield cleave's with each swing, and both swings are slower, and overlap only in a fairly small area directly in front of you. DW cleave does consistent, full, large damage all over it's pretty large aoe (70% inc aoe cleave covers roughly 2/3 of an entire screen in a wide arc), and it's faster than lacerate.

And, yes, both were inferior to reave, and all three are inferior to BF now.
Uff reave, I didn't even bother considering. You need to get into full melee to use that one...

ArchAngel

Arcane
POE really is a game with a good core hidden somewhere underneath a heap of purely shit design choices, pretty much the same like Diablo 3. I am currently playing Grim Dawn and it is feeling just so much better, because it is so much more low key. In POE as soon as your characterbuild starts to take shape you just proceed to explode the whole fucking screen with a mouseclick. No need to aim, no need to pay attention to what monsters do, no need to manage your ressources. Its the epitome of casual borefest shitgameplay. Diablo 3 has a more engaging combat system but the rest of the game is just the same and the same and the same again and again and again.

Its just goddamn baffling how both industry giant developers cannot see the very obvious problem their games have. This is some retardedness on Bethesda level.

Grim Dawn is also not perfect, but it would be the king of the genre if it had server sided multiplayer and some form of true endgame.
And a better engine.

Hyperion

Arcane

Its just goddamn baffling how both industry giants cannot see the very obvious problem their games have. This is some retardedness on Bethesda level.

GGG is absolutely aware of it, employees mentioned the "clear speed meta" numerous times during interviews, podcasts, and press releases. They're typically pretty good with maintaining some sort of dialogue with the community. They make a lot of their changes based on community feedback, and, well...the community has kinda gone to shit since 2.0. Nobody wants anything nerfed, because they want to continue running their broken builds to breeze through the game. They want every area streamlined so they can not pay attention to anything, and get to maps in under 10 hours. Unfortunately, they've also noticed that the shit gameplay also attracts more people and makes them more money. In their eyes, slowing the gameplay won't do them any favors in terms of MTX sales.

Most of the streamers have been getting pretty vocal about the game's pitiful difficulty over the last few months. They've certainly taken notice, and are typically heavy handed with their nerfs when they happen, and is the only thing that has me hopeful for 3.0. I need the nerf hammer to cause a tsunami of tears.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I got a question for resident CI experts. Did you guys try to play a CI character without stun immunity or avoidance ? How terrible was that experience? :D

Veelq

Augur
I got a question for resident CI experts. Did you guys try to play a CI character without stun immunity or avoidance ? How terrible was that experience? :D
white skeleton will stun you and you gonna die - so yeah invest in some kind of resist :smug:

T. Reich

Arcane
Extremely terrible.

Even though you have the default 50% chance to avoid stun as long as your ES is >0, you will still get stunned by every.single.hit.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Extremely terrible.

Even though you have the default 50% chance to avoid stun as long as your ES is >0, you will still get stunned by every.single.hit.
Ah I forgot about that ability of ES. Near witch you can get 55% to avoid getting stunned during spellcasting. For a caster maybe that should be enough to not need to use stun avoidance uniques :D

Anyways, my non caster CI got Valyrium ring in the end. I was not sure if I would be able to cover -40 cold res but I did in the end :)

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Also, remember about the other status ailments. Ignites and shocks may not be that noticeable but freezes will be, and those will be very annoying since you have quite low max life and those freezes from crits will make your life quite annoying. You could run a flask of heat for them, or some uniques.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Also, remember about the other status ailments. Ignites and shocks may not be that noticeable but freezes will be, and those will be very annoying since you have quite low max life and those freezes from crits will make your life quite annoying. You could run a flask of heat for them, or some uniques.
For freeze I got used to running Saphire Flask that also gives me immunity to :) It would probably be smarter to run something with better base duration or less charges per use but I find it fun to get more cold res and immunity :D

T. Reich

Arcane
Ignites don't depend on your life pool total, they are just a function of initial damage and your resistence, so CI is actually better off than life because larger life pool.

Aothan

Magister

they did the exact same with Titan Quest, a game with a dedicated core of players almost ten years later, and then they make their next game without closed servers for multiplayer

returning to GGG, there was a time when Chris explained there would never be a skill like whirlwind in the game, and then Cyclone was introduced

as to the coming league I was going to try playing an Arc Templar but instead will be looking forward to playing a melee Templar again, probably because I enjoy clicking on things ('interaction' and all) more than others apparently, but it does seem as though game design is now committed to certain playstyles that will continue to define meta

Jason Liang

Arcane
I tried playing an evasion/ dodge build and it was shit. Cruel Dominus raped me like 50 times- 70% evasion, arrow-dancing and all Arcrobatics and Phase Acrobatics passives did dick. Is there a way to make evasion work or is it inherently and hopelessly flawed?

T. Reich

Arcane
I tried playing an evasion/ dodge build and it was shit. Cruel Dominus raped me like 50 times- 70% evasion, arrow-dancing and all Arcrobatics and Phase Acrobatics passives did dick. Is there a way to make evasion work or is it inherently and hopelessly flawed?
PROTIP: you aren't supposed to tank Dom's (or any other major boss' attacks), because they are designed to 1-shot you or at least inflicting significant damage.

In that regard, you could've stacked armour + block and would've gotten exactly the same result.

P.S.: That means it's not the game's fault your skills at it are shit.

T. Reich

Arcane
as to the coming league I was going to try playing an Arc Templar but instead will be looking forward to playing a melee Templar again, probably because I enjoy clicking on things ('interaction' and all) more than others apparently, but it does seem as though game design is now committed to certain playstyles that will continue to define meta

I made an arc char this league, and, sadly, it was shit. Shit as leveling and shit in endgame. It critically lacks signle-target damage.

The moment I switched from arc to storm call (swapped 1 support gem + 10 passives), the build became significantly better.

Jason Liang

Arcane
PROTIP: you aren't supposed to tank Dom's (or any other major boss' attacks), because they are designed to 1-shot you or at least inflicting significant damage.

In that regard, you could've stacked armour + block and would've gotten exactly the same result.

Ok I get that but then what's the point of Evasion, Acrobatics and Phase Acrobatics if it does dick in boss fights? At least with ES I could survive an accidental hit or two.

So Acrobatics and Phase Acrobatics are really that awful? Why waste 6 skill points, half ES and -30% block for dick against bosses?

Last edited:

Zdzisiu

Arcane

Ok I get that but then what's the point of Evasion, Acrobatics and Phase Acrobatics if it does dick in boss fights? At least with ES I could survive an accidental hit or two.

So Acrobatics and Phase Acrobatics are really that awful? Why waste 6 skill points, half ES and -30% block for dick against bosses?
You are not supposed to be able to survive one shots from certain Bosses. The fact that you do is an abberation, mostly due to stupidly high values of ES. And it is the ES that is the problem rather than the other things. You are supposed to manually dodge out of the way, no matter if you are Evasion, dodge, block or armour based with a lot of life. But right now, one can get such insane amounts of ES that one can survive those big hits, and then even heal rapidly due to Ghost reaver+Vaal pact combo. Its the ES that is broken.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I made an arc char this league, and, sadly, it was shit. Shit as leveling and shit in endgame. It critically lacks signle-target damage.

Elementalist+Writhing Jar fixes that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom