Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Party and character creation

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
I didn't play the beta but i watched a couple of class videos on youtubes. With the imminent release, i started thinking about first run party...

So post you class/power gaming experience from the beta or your party/character setup and reasoning behind it.

My setup:

Character:
first run is mandatory with a companion party, so it makes sense to pick a class, which is not represented by a companion.
These are: Barbarian, Monk, Rogue.

Because the party is constantly outnumbered in fights (and from BG experience) i'd like to have at least 2 very solid front row guys - So i will probably go with Monk, complementing the Fighter companion.

Party:
Fighter, Monk at the front - i play it safe
Druid (recommended by Tim, sounds awesome, must have)
Chanter (mechanics looks too cool to pass up the experience)
Wizard and Cleric (well, looks mandatory...)

I think i won't miss Cipher or Paladin, but Ranger/Rogue sure look awesome too... In fact if 1 Fighter is a viable option, i would rather take the Rogue for PC character.

Post your setup and tell me why mine sucks!

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't know yet.

I got a bunch of ideas of what i should do, but i am afraid i will go back to my age old "Dood with weapon that hits things" for my first play through.

Mazisky

Magister
I didn't play the beta but i watched a couple of class videos on youtubes. With the imminent release, i started thinking about first run party...

So post you class/power gaming experience from the beta or your party/character setup and reasoning behind it.

My setup:

Character:
first run is mandatory with a companion party, so it makes sense to pick a class, which is not represented by a companion.
These are: Barbarian, Monk, Rogue.

Because the party is constantly outnumbered in fights (and from BG experience) i'd like to have at least 2 very solid front row guys - So i will probably go with Monk, complementing the Fighter companion.

Party:
Fighter, Monk at the front - i play it safe
Druid (recommended by Tim, sounds awesome, must have)
Chanter (mechanics looks too cool to pass up the experience)
Wizard and Cleric (well, looks mandatory...)

I think i won't miss Cipher or Paladin, but Ranger/Rogue sure look awesome too... In fact if 1 Fighter is a viable option, i would rather take the Rogue for PC character.

Post your setup and tell me why mine sucks!

Dismiss the cleric and take a rogue for more dps.

You have already chanter to debuff enemies, and chanter+druid for some healing if needed.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I've been working on a mod that would allow you to drop a companion (or yourself) to level 0 and relevel them up to your liking, or even drop them to level0, but also change their class entirely.

It's working alright so far, except for rangers, because they have pets, and I haven't figured out how to remove/add them yet. But for other classes it seems to work just fine.

Just putting it out there in case some people want to optimize their party combat-wise, but also want to play with stock npcs. Or want to respec their own character after making a bad decision.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
You can already change their stats with already existing console commands.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
You have already chanter to debuff enemies, and chanter+druid for some healing if needed.
Won't i miss all the protection and debuff removal spells?

I've been working on a mod that would allow you to drop a companion (or yourself) to level 0 and relevel them up to your liking, or even drop them to level0, but also change their class entirely.
This would be awesome!

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Won't i miss all the protection and debuff removal spells?
Based on the beta, it's hard to tell how significant the protection and debuff removal spells are. Compared to the protection spells, the Priest's damage and debuff spells seem much more useful in my opinion. Also, I do not think there are any battle/game ending debuffs like petrificiation from Basilisks in BG, but rather poisons and defense debuffs.

The extra dps from a rogue likely is more of a straightforward benefit.

Branm

Learned
Curious anyone have a good build for a cipher or chanter that worked in the beta?

Athelas

Arcane
Is it possible to make a decent front-line without a fighter? What other classes do people propose for this?
Paladin or chanter. And monk, albeit more in the sense of 'a good offense is the best defense'.

Athelas

Arcane
Is it possible to make a decent front-line without a fighter? What other classes do people propose for this?
Paladin or chanter. And monk, albeit more in the sense of 'a good offense is the best defense'.
How is a Chanter for the front row? You mean his summons?
Tanks get their tankiness by sacrificing attack speed/recovery time. Since chanting happens independently of what you do in combat and building up to invocations is not affected by the loss in speed, chanters are a good choice for a tank. They also start out with a high base deflection.

Last edited:

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Tanks get their tankiness by sacrificing attack speed/recovery time. Since chanting happens independently of what you do in combat and building up to invocations is not affected by the loss in speed, chanters are a good choice for a tank. They also start out with a high base deflection.
Interesting, i thought any "caster types" would drop like flies at the front row.

Athelas

Arcane
Interesting, i thought any "caster types" would drop like flies at the front row.
They don't if you build/equip them for it, but it's detrimental to their main assets (their spells), making it not a very good choice. Chanters are an exception because their greatest assets are their (de)buffing chants and summon invocations, which don't rely on their stats and recovery speed (except for INT increasing duration of chants, but it doesn't help you build up to invocations faster). Chanters also have higher base deflection than any of the other casters, on par with the martial classes even.

Last edited:

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
If I recall correctly you can play with an entire party of your own creation like the multiplayer mode in Baldur's Gate. Failing that, I suggest you play what you want to play as, not what you think is required. I doubt even Sawyer would be as retarded as to require specific combinations of party members to be able to complete the game. :roll:

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
In his video Sensuki says a tanky Monk is viable, yes, though iirc he doesn't say how to build one exactly.

I'm guessing a monk wants high MIG in most cases to pull his weight in combat and the way to go for a tanky build is probably either a high CON to withstand more punishment or a high RES/PER to take less damage (but will the monk gain enough wounds if his defences are good)?

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
I think I'll try TankoDruid since I always played some sort of DPS character since forever; so I wanna see if I will be able to build up a deflection-based Bear who'll tank dragons inside healing, shell, lightning and various aoe spells stacked right on top of him.

Plus Perception&Resolve seem like cool stats for dialogue, as well as INT. Not sure about CON though, probably will dump that (shame since it's a very in-role stat for any forest troll lurker).

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron

Ranger's pretty decent tanks too. Might not seem logical but main issue with tanks are accuracy/damage/mobility they lose when being what they are.
Rangers have very decent base main stats so they can, by themselves, tank decently enough, but added onto that is the pet, which you can move around, use as fodder, flank with, as well as use it's various CC abilities far away from the tank. With the pet, it makes a very decent versatile tank/low dps combo. Without the pet, you're still left with a very decent tank. Won't be as good as a pure fighter tank, won't be as damaging as a rampaging barbarian, but it's a pretty good in-between that might bring versatility to an otherwise very static and specialized party.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
I settled on a Moon Godlike Rogue. Gonna save the caster classes for my next playthrough on Hard where I know what I'm doing. Pumped Might, Dexterity and Perception but kept everything in the 12 - 15 range.

Seems like all builds are basically equal in terms of melee vs ranged? Like no character is particularly suited to either melee or ranged weapons. Unless there's something about interrupts I'm not considering.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom