Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Paradox Interactive is going public

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Couldn't they do what CDPR did with CD Projekt and basically own a certain percentage by key people within the company so they retain control over it? Or whatever that Potato setup was, I forgot.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Perhaps those unnamed Swedish developers who are growing faster than Paradox are actually interested in making good games. Probably not, though.

Mustawd

Paradox Interactive is going public

:hero:

Nothing wrong with companies going public. But in the vidya games industry it's a recipe for shitty games. RIP.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Well, it was fun, Paradox. I hoped you would do good. It seems those hopes are shattered.

I don't know who in their right mind thought this is a good idea? This is the shities thing I heard since Vietnam.
Probably the current owners think it's a good idea, since it will let them cash out.

Beastro

Arcane
I imagine Swedish (((investors))) will heavily push the anti-European, anti-White, SJW angle in every Paradox game from here on. Avoid their games like the Red Death (pro-tip: you can't).

As if they haven't been going that way for awhile now.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
They already put out a "all women" DLC for Crusader Kings 2. Guess what? It was attacked because it was ahistorical, but the devs still defended it.

Beastro

Arcane
They already put out a "all women" DLC for Crusader Kings 2. Guess what? It was attacked because it was ahistorical, but the devs still defended it.

What did it for me wasn't so much the defending but them claiming that all creations don't just reflect, but should reflect the creators views, showing that making historical games for the fun of playing history is no longer the central goal of their games but catering to those who most likely wish they could go back in time and remake it in their own modern identity politics based image.

Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter
CK2 is complete anachronist garbage. Either go full retard and play The Sims Medieval or keep your monocle and play CK1.

Beastro

Arcane
CK2 is complete anachronist garbage. Either go full retard and play The Sims Medieval or keep your monocle and play CK1.

All historical games are anachronistic shit, what's important is conveying history in a way that is engaging and enjoyable. One of the things I love about Paradox's games is finding some niche country or dynasty, realizing their not randomly generated and then looking up and learning about a facet of history previously unknown to me.

But that is now being sacrificed for ideological purposes so people can live out power fantasies by imposing their values on those evil barbaric eras where people didn't think like we should think today.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter
I have no idea how it is now, haven't played CK2 since the Aztec invasion shit. CK1 still holds up as a great historic game. EU4 was pretty good also in historical terms also (except the whole army troop transportation across the oceans), haven't played recent expansions yet.

pippin

Can you play as Eleanor of Aquitaine?

Delbaeth

Learned
Don't forget... Ikea!

They transformed your house into real life Meccano!

sser

Arcane
Developer
I think they'll back down. Going public is not going to do good for Paradox.

Also, we're in cycle for another recession and the energy market is fluctuating like crazy so it's not good timing at all.

GrainWetski

Arcane
CD Projekt? You mean the guys making console action games? You can't sink any lower than that, so not entirely sure what your point is.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah, "mid-budget niche game" is not how I'd describe any of the Witchers, especially the second two.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Couldn't they do what CDPR did with CD Projekt and basically own a certain percentage by key people within the company so they retain control over it? Or whatever that Potato setup was, I forgot.
Someone need to retire to make beer.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
From their comments, they don't want to change the ownership structure too drastically.

Wester said:
We also want to clarify that the principal shareholders (like myself and long time owners Spiltan Investment) in Paradox will remain principal shareholders and that only a small part of the company is in question for any future plans.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom