Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Paradox has acquired White Wolf and the World of Darkness IP, including Vampire: The Masquerade

Not a sexual thing in and of itself. It can become an emotional engagement / sexual thing between two vampires though.
Nah, I get it, it's just in oWoD it was called a Blood Bond, but it wasn't necessarily a sexual thing:
Blood Bond

One of the most wondrous and terrible properties of Kindred vitae is its ability to enslave nearly any being who drinks of it three times. Each sip of a particular Kindred's blood gives the Kindred in question a greater emotional hold over the drinker. If a being drinks three times, on three separate nights, from the same Kindred, she falls victim to a state known as the blood bond. A vampire who holds a blood bond over another being is said to be that victim's regnant, while the being subordinate to the bond is called the thrall. Put simply, blood bond is one of the most potent emotional sensations known. A blood bound victim is absolutely devoted to her regnant and will do nearly anything for him. Even the most potent uses of Dominate cannot overcome the thrall's feelings for her regnant; only true love stands a chance against the bond, and even that is not a sure thing. The blood bond is most commonly used to ensnare mortals and ghouls, but Kindred can bind each other as well. Such is the blood bond's power that a mighty elder can be bound to a lowly neonate; in this respect, the blood of a 13th-generation fledgling is (presumably) as strong as that of Caine himself. As such, the blood bond forms an essential strategy in the Jyhad; some Ancients are said to hold dozens of influential Kindred in secret thralldom.

First drink: The drinker begins to experience intermittent but strong feelings about the vampire. She may dream of him, or find herself "coincidentally" frequenting places where he might show up. There is no mechanical effect at this stage, but it should be roleplayed. All childer have this level of bond toward their sires, for the Embrace itself forces one drink upon the childer; they may love their "parents," hate them, or both, but are rarely indifferent toward them.

Second drink: The drinker's feelings grow strong enough to influence her behavior. Though she is by no means enslaved to the vampire, he is definitely an important figure in her life. She may act as she pleases, but might have to make a Willpowerroll to take actions directly harmful to the vampire. The vampire's influence is such that he can persuade or command her with little effort (Social rolls against the thrall are at -1 difficulty).

Third drink: Full-scale blood bond. At this level, the drinker is more or less completely bound to the vampire. He is the most important person in her life; lovers, relatives and even children become tertiary to her all-consuming passion. At this level, a regnant may use the Dominate Discipline on a thrall, even without the benefit of eye contact. Merely hearing the regnant's voice is enough. Additionally, should the hrall try to resist the Dominate for some reason, the difficulty of such resistance is increased by two. Naturally, a higher-generation vampire still cannot use Dominate on a lower-generation thrall. The blood bond is true love, albeit a twisted and perverse version of it. Ultimately, we can't reduce the vagaries of love down to a simple "yes/no" system. Some thralls (particularly people with Conformist or other dependent Natures or with Willpower 5 or less) will commit any act, including suicide or murder, for their beloved; other characters have certain core principles that they will not violate. A full blood bond, once formed, is nearly inviolate. Once bound, a thrall is under the sway of her regnant and her regnant only. She cannot be bound again by another vampire unless the first blood bond wears away "naturally." A vampire can experience lesser (one- and two-drink) bonds toward several individuals; indeed, many Kindred enjoy such bonds, as they create artificial passion in their dead hearts. Upon the formation of a full blood bond, though, all lesser sensations are wiped away. Vampire lovers occasionally enter into mutual blood bonds with each other; this is the closest thing the undead can feel to true love. Even this sensation can turn to disgust or hate over the centuries, though, and in any event few Kindred are trusting enough to initiate it. A blood bond is a mighty force, but it is at its most potent when perpetually reinforced with further drinks. Feeding a thrall often reinforces the bond, while depriving a thrall of vitae may cause the bond to grow tepid over time. As well, like any other relationship, treatment and courtesy play a part in the dynamics of the bond. A thrall who is treated well and fed often will likely fall even more deeply in love, while a thrall who is degraded and humiliated may find resentment and anger eating away at the bond.

It is possible, though difficult, for a vampire to temporarily resist a blood bond. Doing so requires the player to make a Willpower roll (difficulty is typically 8, though this can be modified depending on the regnant's treatment and the thrall's Nature) and accumulate a number of successes equal to the number of times the thrall has partaken of the regnant's blood. The thrall must then spend a Willpower point. Upon doing so, the bond is negated for a variable amount of time: from one scene (if the thrall merely wishes to plot against the regnant, deliver confidential information to an enemy, etc.) to one turn (if the thrall wishes to attack the regnant physically). The thrall can continue to expend Willpower to extend the duration of "freedom," but once she ceases doing so, the blood bond resumes at full force. A blood bond can be broken, though this requires the thrall to not only avoid the regnant entirely for an extended period of time, but also spend great amounts of Willpower to overcome the "addiction." As a general rule, a thrall who neither sees nor feeds from her regnant for a period of (12 - Willpower) months finds her bond reduced by one level (so, a fully bound thrall with a Willpower of 5 has her blood bond reduced to the equivalent of two drinks if she goes seven straight months without any contact with the regnant). If the bond is reduced to zero in this fashion (a feat typically accompanied by the expenditure of a great deal of Willpower on the thrall's part, as she resists the gnawing urge to seek out her sire), it is nullified entirely.

Another, though somewhat less certain, way to be rid of the bond is to kill the regnant. Such a choice is extremely perilous on many levels, and makes no guarantees that everything will go smoothly. Those who have been released by such means claim the bond shatters like spun glass upon the moment of the regnant's Final Death. The thrall's Nature may play a large part in whether the control is completely ended, though, and such aftermath is best left in the hands of the Storyteller.
--- VtM Corebook p. 218-221
Also Blood Bond between vamps wasn't a taboo. Also Vinculum was a result of Sabbat ritual - Vaulderie. And the grass was greener.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Many opinions are not shared by a lot of people outside of the Codex. Most people think that Arcanum is an obscure game made by a bankrupt studio. Who gives a fuck? In fact, why should I care if an opinion is shared inside or outside the Codex? The only thing that matters to me is the actual features of the game. If the rest of humanity thought that Skyrm were the best game ever made, I would still think they are delusional and completely wrong. You give too much importance about what other people think, or what you think that other people think. I only care about good cRPGs. Armchair theorizing about opinion polls is completely irrelevant.
So what you are saying is that you agree with me that it is a niche of a niche. Good.

Caconym

Augur
Not many changes after all.

VtR2, page 99:
While addictive, Vitae carries a far more sinister effect for those who drink it: the blood bond. A blood bond, also called a Vinculum, is a strand of powerful, one-sided emotion borne of Vitae. Someone subject to a blood bond finds himself drawn to, wanting, needing, devoted to, and even loving the one from whom he’s fed.
While many Kindred expose humans to the blood bond, often as part of creating ghouls, other Kindred are just as vulnerable to the blood’s draw. Many sires bind their childer. Many Princes impose bonds on criminals. Every city, every covenant, and indeed every vampire views the bond differently. Some abhor it. Some find it a regrettable inevitability. Some revel in it. Most fear it. Some Kindred willingly succumb to the bond with a trusted ally, because a given Kindred may only be enthralled to a single vampire. This serves as a form of perverse protection against a less desirable bond. Some mutually blood bond each other, to heighten feelings of intimacy.
A bound character is called the thrall, the character he’s bound to is his regnant.
[...]
The bond comes in three stages, usually at the first, second, and third drinks.
[...]
Perversion [sidebar]
Sometimes — more often than Kindred like to admit — two vampires will share from one another to the point of a full bond. They become hopelessly addicted to one another, and immune to outside bonds. They become self-absorbed. To each other, they are everything. It’s the sort of love that almost always ends in tragedy. Kindred call this phenomenon “perversion,” and for good reason.
In some cities, perversion is illegal. Most couples committing the crime believe they’ll be able to hide it, but the signs are usually obvious. In most, it’s derided and chastised. Of course, what petty, selfserving society wouldn’t reject those able to rise above childish bickering in favor of eternal companionship and happiness? A couple that doesn’t care about the barbed words of courtiers or the protocols of Elysium is more dangerous to the status quo than even the most anarchist Unaligned Kindred.

hivemind

Some Kindred willingly succumb to the bond with a trusted ally, because a given Kindred may only be enthralled to a single vampire. This serves as a form of perverse protection against a less desirable bond.
cute

Not many changes after all.

VtR2, page 99:
Yeah, but combined with that you've quoted
VtR, page 14:
Vampires can have sex: Fact. While the act of feeding replaces all physical urges, vampires can still indulge in sex and even take pleasure from it. Curiously, however, the emotional aspect of sex vanishes after the Embrace. A vampire might enjoy the physical sensation of sex, but no more than she enjoys a particularly savory smell or the touch of a luxurious fabric.

VtR 2nd Ed, page 6:
Vampire is about sex and murder, about power and wild defiance.

and page 90:
By spending a point of Vitae, Kindred may invoke the blush of life for a scene. This makes them functionally human. They become warm to the touch, with a full, hearty pulse. They produce natural bodily fluids. They function sexually in the way a human can, becoming physically aroused, erect, and lubricated.
I can see that the session can turn into gothopotamus verbal BDSM orgy very, very quickly. I mean, one of the problems running oWoD campaigns, especially VtM ones were nutters. Ones who played exclusively Camarilla Toreadors always tried to recreate their Anne Rice fanfics, so it was always much angst, tragic love, and shit like that. And then there were Sabbat players. I tended to like Sabbat more, both as a player and a Storyteller. But when I was actively playing oWoD, we had three mostly separate groups - general PnP RPG players, assorted goths, and LARPers. Sabbat campaigns attracted some strange people, if some Camarilla players wanted Emotional Engagement, then some Sabbat players often wanted only to torture and rape shit. Well, it was in character, but playing with such people it's like playing with real life Slaaneshi cultists, which isn't my idea of fun. I'm not against heavy themes in PnP, but when a Pack Toreador wants nothing else than creatively dismember mortals all day all the way and fuck them in resulting holes with another dismembered parts, and a pack Tzimisce wants just to make more and more tentacle rape and subsequent molding of victims into a various creative forms - well. It's not my cup of tea (because fuckers didn't want doing anything else, I just sent Sabbat Inquisition and they all were executed for infernalism).

I doubt that it's only I who had encounters with such twats, but actively promoting sex&violence angle in nWoD should attract them like flies to shit.

lightbane

Arcane
You better don't check Beast: the Primordial then. That one makes oChangeling seem tame and harmless. And it's even worse mechanically. :troll:

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
You but here's the thing... you saying it excels in combat and writing is exactly as "valid" as me saying it doesn't. You can't debate taste with "rational arguments."

This is like when people ask you why Bach is objectively better than Justin Biber. Sure, you could point out polyphony and harmonics or the technical achievements of the many-voiced fugues but it would still kind of fail to explain it to a retard who believes all music and art is equally valuable. Worse, it wouldn't be the truth. Bach isn't better because he's more complex. Bach is better because... he's closer to God. His music is closer to the ideal of music. And you can only really understand what I mean by that if you're Lyric Suite. The only reason I can tell you that the writing isn't very good is because it doesn't feel as good as the good writing I've experienced. It's dull to read, the characters are not engaging to me and it feels altogether like it needs an edit by a native speaker because a lot of the sentences just have this sense of otherworldy awkwardness to them. Which, arguably, adds to the atmosphere, kind of like in Silent Hill 2.

Yes, now you can say "Aha! You are basing it on FEELS!" and I can say "Yes, but what are you basing it on? Can you explain to me what the combat or writing in that game have that other RPGs haven't done better?" and then you will say that I am supposed to answer that first because I am the one who asked and we end up calling each other faggots in the end. We might as well save time, call each other fags right now, and move on.

The game has believable characters with realistic motivations, instead of the generic cardboard personalities of most games. The setting, the locations, the characters and the events are well thought out and presented in a vivid manner. The cities are not just a bunch of NPCs anxiously waiting to join you, as if you were the most important person of the world. The prose is introduced in the just measure. It is not verbose like PoE, but not simplistic like Skyrm. I can keep on and on, but an impartial discussion about this topic will be pointless if you decided from the start that the game must be bad because you hate Vault Dweller, or at least what you think he represent, so much.

Now you say that everything is relative and there are no standards, but that is a poor excuse to avoid the discussion because you are talking out of your hat. When you say that the combat is boring you are not saying that the combat is boring for you, because that is just a triviality. Just think for a second. The combat sucks because is boring for me. There is nothing more to discuss. PoE is good because it is exciting for me. That is retarded. The thing is that all your opinions about AoD are biased, because he humiliated you disagreed with you a million times. You took this too personally, because you are resented, petty and short-sighted person. By the way, if someone praising AoD is so intolerable for you, you should think about ejecting yourself from the Codex, because the enthusiasts are increasing in numbers by the day. Maybe you didn’t notice this because you are not reading all the AoD threads, but there is no turning back. And keep talking about AoD in a thread about Paradox. It is a good way to promote the game.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Yeah, its niche because it was made by unknown studio with no money for marketing.

That is not what you said. Someone mentioned that AoD is better than anything that Obsidian or inXile produced. You replied that it is a niche game, as if the numbers of players had anything to do with the actual quality of the game. Obsidian’s games are also better than any cRPG that Bethesda manage to publish, at least from Oblivion onward, but they are very niche in comparison. I will say it again. This head counting means absolute nothing when we are talking about quality of games.

Caim

Arcane
I can see that the session can turn into gothopotamus verbal BDSM orgy very, very quickly. I mean, one of the problems running oWoD campaigns, especially VtM ones were nutters. Ones who played exclusively Camarilla Toreadors always tried to recreate their Anne Rice fanfics, so it was always much angst, tragic love, and shit like that. And then there were Sabbat players. I tended to like Sabbat more, both as a player and a Storyteller. But when I was actively playing oWoD, we had three mostly separate groups - general PnP RPG players, assorted goths, and LARPers. Sabbat campaigns attracted some strange people, if some Camarilla players wanted Emotional Engagement, then some Sabbat players often wanted only to torture and rape shit. Well, it was in character, but playing with such people it's like playing with real life Slaaneshi cultists, which isn't my idea of fun. I'm not against heavy themes in PnP, but when a Pack Toreador wants nothing else than creatively dismember mortals all day all the way and fuck them in resulting holes with another dismembered parts, and a pack Tzimisce wants just to make more and more tentacle rape and subsequent molding of victims into a various creative forms - well. It's not my cup of tea (because fuckers didn't want doing anything else, I just sent Sabbat Inquisition and they all were executed for infernalism).

I doubt that it's only I who had encounters with such twats, but actively promoting sex&violence angle in nWoD should attract them like flies to shit.
Whenever I hear people talk about Vampire groups it very often turns to the subject of creepy fucks playing it. Why is it that this game draws so many of those? Because the game is by its very nature edgy as fuck?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The game has believable characters with realistic motivations, instead of the generic cardboard personalities of most games. The setting, the locations, the characters and the events are well thought out and presented in a vivid manner. The cities are not just a bunch of NPCs anxiously waiting to join you, as if you were the most important person of the world. The prose is introduced in the just measure. It is not verbose like PoE, but not simplistic like Skyrm. I can keep on and on, but an impartial discussion about this topic will be pointless if you decided from the start that the game must be bad because you hate Vault Dweller, or at least what you think he represent, so much.

Now you say that everything is relative and there are no standards, but that is a poor excuse to avoid the discussion because you are talking out of your hat. When you say that the combat is boring you are not saying that the combat is boring for you, because that is just a triviality. Just think for a second. The combat sucks because is boring for me. There is nothing more to discuss. PoE is good because it is exciting for me. That is retarded. The thing is that all your opinions about AoD are biased, because he humiliated you disagree with you a million times. You took this too personally, because you are resented, petty and short-sighted person. By the way, if someone praising AoD is so intolerable for you, you should think about ejecting yourself from the Codex, because the enthusiasts are increasing in numbers by the day. Maybe you didn’t notice this because you are not reading all the AoD threads, but there is no turning back. And keep talking about AoD in a thread about Paradox. It is a good way to promote the game.
lol

If anything, we need a horror PnP group stories thread in the Gazebo. Since I have none to share I shall not start it, but maybe Stainless Veteran could do it.
My story wasn't a horror per se, I don't have anything against low-humanity Sabbat behaving like that. What I do have against them, it's that they just didn't want to do anything else. Literally. They've ignored direct orders from their Bishop, FFS. If you want just to play out your masturbatory fantasies, then go and jerk off somewhere else, we gathered here to play a fucking tabletop game (and not in that sense).

tl;dr I sure wouldn't want to GM or play with such individuals. It's not even moralfaggotry on my part, it's just that they are so absorbed into their sexual murder fantasies, that they aren't interested in anything else.

Caconym

Augur
[skimming through it] Oh lol, have they finally made CtD: Unseelie-FATAL edition?
There have been huge revisions of numerous game concepts since the first KS draft after a ridiculous fan backlash, mind you. (People with SJW sensibilities didn't like that the game "glorified abuse and vilified victimhood", or some shit only they could see and take offense with. It was almost as comical as facepalm-worthy.) The linked document may not be representative of the final game.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
That is not what you said. Someone mentioned that AoD is better than anything that Obsidian or inXile produced. You replied that it is a niche game, as if the numbers of players had anything to do with the actual quality of the game. Obsidian’s games are also better than any cRPG that Bethesda manage to publish, at least from Oblivion onward, but they are very niche in comparison. I will say it again. This head counting means absolute nothing when we are talking about quality of games.

Think you accidently quoted wrong person there. :smug:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
My story wasn't a horror per se, I don't have anything against low-humanity Sabbat behaving like that. What I do have against them, it's that they just didn't want to do anything else. Literally. They've ignored direct orders from their Bishop, FFS. If you want just to play out your masturbatory fantasies, then go and jerk off somewhere else, we gathered here to play a fucking tabletop game (and not in that sense).

tl;dr I sure wouldn't want to GM or play with such individuals. It's not even moralfaggotry on my part, it's just that they are so absorbed into their sexual murder fantasies, that they aren't interested in anything else.
One thing that kind of irks me is that VtM is really particularly suitable to be a serious personal horror game despite all of White Wolf's kind of self-aggrandizing claims. It's really a lot closer to Vampions than the whole personal horror thing, and the whole "power and wild defiance" blurb is brutally honest in that respect.

Personally, I think the key problems in this regard is that the setting and its metaplot are really dark fantasy action-adventure, but more important Humanity itself is ass-backwards.

Humanity really is just a morality gauge, not a measurement for how Human you still are. I mentioned thinking of an alternative Humanity system for VtM or VtR, where I wanted to create something for a personal horror game in the style of Herzog's Nosferatu (in contrast to WW's Anne Rice shlock attempts at it). For one thing, I concluded that the main mistake is to link morality into Humanity, it shouldn't be about that. Rather than "oh, woe is me, I have slain an innocent soul on this dark and stormy night!", it needs to be about something like this:

Time is an abyss... profound as a thousand nights... Centuries come and go... To be unable to grow old is terrible... Death is not the worst... Can you imagine enduring centuries, experiencing each day the same futilities...
No Beast, none of that shit. Humanity is about the growing terror and frustration at your own existence. It starts at 10 for all mentally sound fledglings (meaning that they are capable of understanding their situation), and the first test for it (and the hardest, test difficulty would be reversed in that its harder to pass the early tests and extremely hard to fail lowest tests) is: "10 violation: Drinking blood." Other tests would include things like looking at a mirror ten years after you've become a vampire and realizing you haven't aged a single day, or seeing people you knew grow old and die.

Similarly, in a story like this I'd definately see that PCs are fairly powerful, they are after all Draculas and the like in a story like this. A bigger thing would be that what exactly could they even accomplish with that power? Even with all the dark power at their disposal, the world turns and history passes, the futility of existence and everything they have ever tried only eating away at them. Even suicide eludes them because of their power. Until it gets to the point where they just sit in that ruined castle in the middle of nowhere because why bother.

[skimming through it] Oh lol, have they finally made CtD: Unseelie-FATAL edition?
I'm seriously wondering if they actually read Moore's run on Swamp Thing based on the description they give in the inspiration material section. I mean, the first thing Moore establishes in his run is a retcon that Swamp Thing was NEVER a man at all!

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Alright, Obsidian doesn't have a single decent writer, Fenstermaker and Sawyer duo managed to make a new setting on something even more boring than Forgotten Realms and that was an achievement. InXile didn't prove it has what it takes to handle WoD and Wasteland 2 was awful on the writing department. Larian is too goofy and don't take anything seriously. CDPotato likes too much their cinematic potatomoles. Brian had his brain rotten by too much exposure to SJW non sense. Who is left? There are only two writers on the entire gamming industry that I would trust a WoD game, Jane Jensen and Chris Avellone. Jane is semi retired and Chris seems more interested on playing with a ton of projects instead of dedicating to one. Who is left? I read Amy Hennig left the Uncharted Cloning factory... is there any other gamming writer that doesn't suck?

Shin

Cipher
Sabbat campaigns attracted some strange people, if some Camarilla players wanted Emotional Engagement, then some Sabbat players often wanted only to torture and rape shit. Well, it was in character, but playing with such people it's like playing with real life Slaaneshi cultists, which isn't my idea of fun. I'm not against heavy themes in PnP, but when a Pack Toreador wants nothing else than creatively dismember mortals all day all the way and fuck them in resulting holes with another dismembered parts, and a pack Tzimisce wants just to make more and more tentacle rape and subsequent molding of victims into a various creative forms - well. It's not my cup of tea (because fuckers didn't want doing anything else, I just sent Sabbat Inquisition and they all were executed for infernalism).

This sounds like some real scary shit. Being in a room with 3 LARPing sweaty Goths fantasizing fucking holes in dismembered torso's. Reminds me to keep the arr-pee-gee limited to my pc.

This sounds like some real scary shit. Being in a room with 3 LARPing sweaty Goths fantasizing fucking holes in dismembered torso's. Reminds me to keep the arr-pee-gee limited to my pc.
Nah, not really. If anything it was embarrassing, we played in our local RPG club. So yeah, I imagine not only I wasn't thrilled with them, but also people sitting at neighboring tables.

Ninjerk

Arcane

Now you say that everything is relative and there are no standards, but that is a poor excuse to avoid the discussion because you are talking out of your hat. When you say that the combat is boring you are not saying that the combat is boring for you, because that is just a triviality. Just think for a second. The combat sucks because is boring for me. There is nothing more to discuss. PoE is good because it is exciting for me. That is retarded. The thing is that all your opinions about AoD are biased, because he humiliated you disagreed with you a million times. You took this too personally, because you are resented, petty and short-sighted person. By the way, if someone praising AoD is so intolerable for you, you should think about ejecting yourself from the Codex, because the enthusiasts are increasing in numbers by the day. Maybe you didn’t notice this because you are not reading all the AoD threads, but there is no turning back. And keep talking about AoD in a thread about Paradox. It is a good way to promote the game.
Jesus man, go get that :butthurt: checked out.

lightbane

Arcane
There have been huge revisions of numerous game concepts since the first KS draft after a ridiculous fan backlash, mind you. (People with SJW sensibilities didn't like that the game "glorified abuse and vilified victimhood", or some shit only they could see and take offense with. It was almost as comical as facepalm-worthy.) The linked document may not be representative of the final game.

There's enough shit about B: tP to make its own thread. In fact, one of these days I would like to make a commentary about NWoD games and such whenever I have enough time.

In Beast's case though, the short story is that the game's premise and the writing do not match at all: you play as horrible eldritch monsters who feed on negative emotions such as pain and fear (normally through emotional and physical abuse), but you're supposed to be totally ok with this because you're better than the others, and those that disagree deserve what they get. Meanwhile, Heroes, your supposed antagonists, are meant to be self-centered psychos who aren't much better than you, but due the fact that their only crime is that they want to kill all Beasts because they believe they're a threat to everyone (and they're right, you know), the message gets lost. It doesn't help that one of the example Heroes is actually a Beast victim whose defining "sin" is that she dared to fight back the one who would be her murderer/abuser, ending up lost in a dream dimension in the process. Also, at the end of the day Heroes are still regular humies and therefore they're too weak to actually pose a real threat.

PS: I almost forgot: Beasts are also immune to Prometheans' Disquiet/Hate aura because Mary Sueism they're not human at all. Instead, they rejoice in their monstrosity. Of course, the average Promethean most likely would avoid that kind of company no matter what.

There's enough shit about B: tP to make its own thread. In fact, one of these days I would like to make a commentary about NWoD games and such whenever I have enough time.

In Beast's case though, the short story is that the game's premise and the writing do not match at all: you play as horrible eldritch monsters who feed on negative emotions such as pain and fear (normally through emotional and physical abuse), but you're supposed to be totally ok with this because you're better than the others, and those that disagree deserve what they get. Meanwhile, Heroes, your supposed antagonists, are meant to be self-centered psychos who aren't much better than you, but due the fact that their only crime is that they want to kill all Beasts because they believe they're a threat to everyone (and they're right, you know), the message gets lost. It doesn't help that one of the example Heroes is actually a Beast victim whose defining "sin" is that she dared to fight back the one who would be her murderer/abuser, ending up lost in a dream dimension in the process. Also, at the end of the day Heroes are still regular humies and therefore they're too weak to actually pose a real threat.

PS: I almost forgot: Beasts are also immune to Prometheans' Disquiet/Hate aura because Mary Sueism they're not human at all. Instead, they rejoice in their monstrosity. Of course, the average Promethean most likely would avoid that kind of company no matter what.
Man. It's really like the worst parts of CtD (did I mention how I hated that particular setting?), HtR and DtF. Also it suspiciously reminds me of tumblr and otherkin, "I identify as an eldritch abomination, respect my pronouns!". So, mate, if you ever make this thread, please give me a shout, I want to read this. I got out of touch with nWoD, and I'm really interested what else have they managed to fuck up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom