Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Paradox games no longer removed from SteamSpy!

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Not the newer ones.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
What's going on with Techland? Old projects dumped into trash bin, some new projects went obscure (no news for long time), their profitable franchise is on silence, dead moba and now this.
They're that worried few €€€ here and here make a difference? Sure, when €€€ is worth more than your local currency...

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Speaking about Kebab Space Program - maybe they hide sales data so devs won't fight for cash or something? KSP devs get peanuts for their work ($2400/year).
Ulmicati should be ashamed for supporting slavery.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
So Techland first blacklists the Codex and now they want their games removed from Steamspy?
Really bad potatoes there

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Well Steamspy is not loading for me at the moment, so I think Paradox and Techland sent their hitmen.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Probably just people rushing in to access and archive all the top secret info he just leaked.

So Techland first blacklists the Codex and now they want their games removed from Steamspy?

Maybe they aren't so happy with the EA numbers for Torment after all :shittydog:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Probably just people rushing in to access and archive all the top secret info he just leaked.

Maybe they aren't so happy with the EA numbers for Torment after all :shittydog:

Torment on Steam isn't a Techland game.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Quite right. It might be about Dying Light then; I always forget about that game since it's blacklisted in Germany.

ThoseDeafMutes

Learned
Stellaris - 550k owners: http://archive.is/rAGkD
Hearts of Iron IV - 300k owners: http://archive.is/C3Xsg

The interesting point here is that HoI4 has a higher daily playerbase than Stellaris, nearly double as a percentage of owners. More or less confirms what most paradox regulars already knew - Stellaris was somewhat shallow and lacking in re-playability.

Wait, isn't this going to fuck with Paradox's public status now?

No more than being on Steamspy fucks with all of the other publicly traded companies that release games on steam, i.e. not at all. Basically all of the major ones and quite a few minor ones.

Turjan

Arcane
Wait, isn't this going to fuck with Paradox's public status now?

No more than being on Steamspy fucks with all of the other publicly traded companies that release games on steam, i.e. not at all. Basically all of the major ones and quite a few minor ones.

The only difference I can see is that companies that sell console versions of their games can always claim that Steamspy only covers a small part of their data. For Paradox it may be the whole picture though.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It would be funny if this is what convinces Paradox to go back on their Steam exclusivity that made the Cassidys of the world butthurt back in 2013.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
A nice report on Steam Spy and the industry's secrecy about sales data: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/280417/Steam_Spy_and_the_specter_of_game_sales_transparency.php

Steam Spy and the specter of game sales transparency

The Ukrainian Sergey Galyonkin was living in Cyprus when he decided he wanted to know precisely how many video games had been sold on Steam that week.

In contrast to the film, music and TV industries, for which an orbiting constellation of organizations such as Billboard and Nielsen track and release thorough performance data, video game companies remain notoriously coy about their sales figures. While NPD in the US and ChartTrack in the UK purport to collate video game sales, the data has become increasingly unreliable with the advance of scattered digital marketplaces.

NPD now incorporates digital sales into its reports, but that data does not include figures from Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft nor games sold on major online marketplaces like Nintendo's eShop, EA's Origin, Blizzard's Battle.net, Good Old Games, or mobile storefronts. So-called official video game charts aredesperately misleading.

Galyonkin, who was working as a Senior Analyst for Wargaming.net at the time, devised a simple plan. Every three days he would scan the profiles of Steam’s 1.8 million users using the site’s official API and, from that information, extrapolate how many games had been sold. His project, dubbed ‘Steam Spy’ to imply a whiff of espionage and privileged information, launched in April 2015.

While Galyonkin was quick to point out the margin of error (“It depends on the game: pretty accurate for big titles, widely inaccurate for smaller ones,” he told Gamasutra, recently) he was also forthright in publishing his findings, revealing that, for example, 28 per cent of games on Steam are owned by users in the U.S., or that the RPG genre is the most popular on the platform.

While many praised Galyonkin’s endeavor in providing useful information, there were those who said the data was inaccurate as, thanks to press accounts and free giveaways, ‘owners’ on Steam does not equate to sales. “It makes me laugh when people claim Steam Spy isn’t accurate,” says someone inside a UK-based medium-size publisher of numerous games on Steam, who asked to remain anonymous. “Each game of ours tracks, broadly speaking, within its stated margin of error. It is important to distinguish between sales and owners. But if you think of the data as ‘activations’ I’m confident that Steam Spy offers a realistic overview and I question the motives of those who publicly dispute it.”

While Galyonkin received some negative reaction to the site in its first year, he claims that, during the past six months, that negativity has eased off. “I haven’t heard any scare mongering in the last six months or so,” he says. “It’s a good sign.”

Indeed, according to the spokesperson for the publishing company, it’s become the industry’s go-to resource. “Everyone I know absolutely relies on it,” he says. “Within the short time it has been around, I suspect Steam Spy has become one of the visited sites in the industry. Even though it only updates once a day, I’m probably on it ten to twenty times through the working day, trying to get a sense of which titles are doing well, and, more importantly trying to spot why they are doing well.” For publishers, the data gives an idea of how games are performing within a particular market, he says. For developers, they can now get an idea of how prospective publishers are doing.

Perhaps for this reason, certain publishers have requested that their sales data be excluded from Steam Spy’s figures. Last week, in a post on the popular video game forum Neogaf, Galyonkin, who now lives in live in Berlin, Germany, where he works as Head of Publishing for Eastern Europe at Epic Games, revealed that Paradox, Nicalis and Techland have all written to request their data be removed. (Nicalis declined to provide a comment for this article, while Paradox and Techland did not respond to requests for comment.)

For a while, Galyonkin complied with their requests. “I removed their games from my database,” he told Gamasutra, last month. “Someone else could still build their own Steam Spy and access the same data - and I know, many companies did exactly that, including Paradox. But I want Steam Spy to be a helpful tool to devs, not a threat, so I honored those requests.”

This reluctance of certain companies to share sales data in the video game industry has precedence. In 2007 NPD told Ars Technica that the group had no right to make console sales data public. “It's better to...leave it up to our clients to release their numbers,” said David Riley, NPD’s director of marketing, at the time. “Or, if manufacturers tell us it's okay to release their hardware sales numbers, then we'll go back to providing them, but that shouldn't be our call.” In 2011 the company complied with a request from Sony to keep sales figures for the company’s PlayStation 3 console hidden.

Many question this practice, especially when it comes to Steam Spy, which simply organizes publicly available information. “The motives of these publishers should be deeply questioned,” said the spokesperson from the UK publisher. “If they are keeping that information from their own developers, that’s disgraceful. If they are hiding that information from prospective business partners, then that’s deceitful. And if they want to present a different story to investors then that’s highly questionable. All are immoral as far as I am concerned.”

After months of complying with the requests to keep certain sales data hidden, last week Galyonkin changed his mind, and re-incorporated the hidden sales data into his site’s official figures. “There is no legal obligation for me to not provide estimates of ownership that were obtained using public data,” he told Gamasutra, after he made his decision. “It’s not their confidential information. There haven’t been a single verified incident of a game developer being hurt by having their ownership numbers estimated by Steam Spy. There have been tens of thousand developers gaining valuable knowledge because of it.”

Some claim, however, that there is the potential for real harm. One developer, which asked to remain unnamed in this article, requested that Galyonkin remove its sales data from the service. The company’s game has sold an estimated 1.5 million copies on PC alone, success that could, according to the developer, which is based in Latin America, make its staff and premises potential targets for criminals. (A representative from the company told Gamasutra “we not making any more comments about that matter.")

While this company has clear and apparently legitimate reasons for secrecy, the prevalent coyness elsewhere is harder to justify. “I genuinely don’t know why the games industry is like this,” says the spokesperson for the UK publisher. “But I think it is damaging. As it stands, it’s difficult to get a real sense of where the wider market is. Physical sales are still counted, but that really doesn’t give any realistic sense of what is happening out there. You can only see from the appetite with which publishers and developers are trawling Steam Spy that an official resource would be preferable, though I fear that the industry will never universally accept a way of sharing official data.”

For Galyonkin, who has a slew of improvements planned for his project in coming months, it’s to do with the industry’s origins. “The movie industry was originally financed by people from financing industry and they’re used to being open and even bragging about their numbers,” he says. “The gaming industry comes from a different background where people are worried about trade secrets, access rights and all this kind of stuff.”

Aside from the odd anomaly, most would agree that the transparency that Steam Spy has brought to the world of game publishing has been positive. Developers are better equipped to make informed decision when it comes to partnering with publishers, while publishers are able to track trends. It is, however, a resource that should be used mindfully, says the spokesperson for the UK publisher. “Steam Spy is at its best when people understand exactly what it is and what it is showing. While the numbers are useful, they should never be used in isolation. Anyone basing a game development or publishing decision exclusively on what Steam Spy says is an idiot.”

I think Feargus said in some interview that Paradox was/is(?) being coy about give PoE sales data to Obsidian. I wonder.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Some claim, however, that there is the potential for real harm. One developer, which asked to remain unnamed in this article, requested that Galyonkin remove its sales data from the service.

The company’s game has sold an estimated 1.5 million copies on PC alone, success that could, according to the developer, which is based in Latin America, make its staff and premises potential targets for criminals.

lol Kerbal

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom