Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Paradox announces Runemaster, a Norse-themed turn-based RPG

Delterius

Arcane
Or maybe the swedish like making games about the norse.

Can't blame them, if me and the Codex BR/PT squad did a RPG, I'm pretty sure we would do something with:
1. Bandeirantes
2. Sailing across the world, Portuguese-style
3. Post-Apoc, on the jungle
4. Something fantasy, involving one of the these elements
5. A mix of these (Post-Apoc Neo-Brazilian Sailors and Bandeirantes rediscovering the rest of the world?)
6. Something else

Not gonna lie.

That's kind of what I kept thinking about while playing Expeditions: Conquistador. Though I'd purposedly look for the more obscure things about colonial history that fewer people know about. Like how the visitting Inquisitors simply couldn't deal with terra brasilis. Or the native alliances and marriages that protected and policed Rio.

Don't get me wrong, I'm liking the way that finally there's an outlet for the substantial customer demand for TB gaming - demand that never disappeared, but was simply discarded by publishers and developers who declared it obsolete - and am looking forward to many of these games.

...but I'm also looking forward to some of the Codexers who were to young to experience TB crpgs other than by virtue of playing the very cream of the crop that have carved out lasting fandom, and consequently thinking that any TB crpg must also be tactical and better than any phase-based or rtw/p combat, will now have the opportunity that we had to experience the horror that is really badly designed TB combat:)

I think this could be the greatest era of simultaneous glee and rage the Codex has ever experienced - a whole new world of bad game design they never knew existed.

Monty

Arcane
Don't get me wrong, I'm liking the way that finally there's an outlet for the substantial customer demand for TB gaming - demand that never disappeared, but was simply discarded by publishers and developers who declared it obsolete - and am looking forward to many of these games.

...but I'm also looking forward to some of the Codexers who were to young to experience TB crpgs other than by virtue of playing the very cream of the crop that have carved out lasting fandom, and consequently thinking that any TB crpg must also be tactical and better than any phase-based or rtw/p combat, will now have the opportunity that we had to experience the horror that is really badly designed TB combat:)

I think this could be the greatest era of simultaneous glee and rage the Codex has ever experienced - a whole new world of bad game design they never knew existed.

'Looking forward to more bad games so we can rage about them' - surprised DU hasn't added this to his list of Codex mottos yet.

(not that I disagree though)

kris

Arcane
Not sure why they call it RPG,it's strategy game like King's Bounty and HMM :?

They do it as to highlight that it has features from an RPG. They want to plant some thoughts in customers mind as for characters and quests, which is likely to be these RPG features.

mondblut

Arcane
When I hear of a "TRPG", I am immediately suspicious. Goldbox series weren't referred to as "tactical RPGs", Natuk or Wizard's Crown or KOTC weren't referred to as "tactical RPGs", ToEE and Dark Sun weren't referred to as "tactical RPGs". For all of their superb tactically controlled combat, they were always just RPGs, and the genre's posterboys at that, without any silly sublabels attached. Fuck, even JA2, for all the arguments about "the dude behind laptop" surrounding it, was still an RPG for those who considered it as such, without any silly T's attached.

"TRPG" usually means either "let's add some combat movement to our shitty Final Faggotry clone and pretend it is now even deerper than before", or "let's take out the castle from our HoMM clone and pretend it's a different kind of game altogether". Or, in a more oldschool way, "let's add some fancy fictional bells and whistles into our BSB mission-based railroaded squad tactics and try to peddle it to the starving RPG fandom". None of which is acceptable in my book.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
When I hear of a "TRPG", I am immediately suspicious. Goldbox series weren't referred to as "tactical RPGs", Natuk or Wizard's Crown or KOTC weren't referred to as "tactical RPGs", ToEE and Dark Sun weren't referred to as "tactical RPGs". For all of their superb tactically controlled combat, they were always just RPGs, and the genre's posterboys at that, without any silly sublabels attached. Fuck, even JA2, for all the arguments about "the dude behind laptop" surrounding it, was still an RPG for those who considered it as such, without any silly T's attached.

"TRPG" usually means either "let's add some combat movement to our shitty Final Faggotry clone and pretend it is now even deerper than before", or "let's take out the castle from our HoMM clone and pretend it's a different kind of game altogether". Or, in a more oldschool way, "let's add some fancy fictional bells and whistles into our BSB mission-based railroaded squad tactics and try to peddle it to the starving RPG fandom". None of which is acceptable in my book.

Paradox aren't actually calling it a tactical RPG though. OP says just "RPG".

Nathair

Educated
Well KB does feature a big RPG style element in the levelling of your characters/pet dragon. It makes a huge difference in how the battles play out. Much more than a lot of RPG things. So I dunno.

Not that I care - if this is at all like KB and any good then I'll be rather happy :) Or just good at all really. It is gently astonishing, yes.

Delbaeth

Learned
Yeah, finally the game which will make decent the amount of DLCs in Mass Effect series.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Nintendo isn't though. The exodus of turn-based fans to the handheld is one of the saving graces of the 3DS.

Just kidding. Nintendo doesn't pay attention to stuff like that until it two or three years past mattering.

Delbaeth

Learned
So it would be a TB RPG.. Coming from a developer making RTwP strategy games. Well, we shall see.

Delbaeth

Learned
Like I said, we shall see.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom