Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Interview Paradox admit Tyranny sold below expectations, DLC still in the works

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, May 16, 2017.

1. Make America Great Again Rogueygender: ⚧ Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    I would argue these games failed on their own merits.

Expeditions Viking did much better than Conquistador did at release http://steamcharts.com/cmp/445190,237430#All

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Salute Salute x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Excidium IIgender: ⚧ Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    Nigga did it even sell 100k copies.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 2
    • Racist Racist x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Jedi Master Radekgender: ⚧ Arcane

Jedi Master Radek
    Parrots:
    Turnbased co-op meme game sales.
    The co-op meme game for more civilized times.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Make America Great Again Rogueygender: ⚧ Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    Conquistador has over time, yes. Since Viking did better it should get there faster.

^ Top  
  5. Excidium IIgender: ⚧ Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    ^ after bundle and sales.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Make America Great Again Rogueygender: ⚧ Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    In the end it will still be more profitable. There was sales growth as opposed to other RPG sequels and follow-ups that underperformed compared to their predecessors.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Excidium IIgender: ⚧ Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    Meanwhile PoE sold bout 1 million.

• Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Make America Great Again CyberWhalegender: ⚧ Arcane

CyberWhale
    Parrots:
    Basically this.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Make America Great Again Rogueygender: ⚧ Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    After over a year. :M

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Zanzokengender: ⚧ Savant

Zanzoken
    Parrots:
    If it even came close to expectations then they must not have expected much, because I don't think anyone outside of Obsidian and PoE fanboys gives a shit about Tyranny.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Tigranesgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    If they had a brain cell between them, they would have spent very little and expected low sales - if it were me I'd have thought 100k, 200k. It's bad for them that the sales couldn't meet those (appropriately) low expectations.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. MRYgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Parrots:
    I'm confused -- isn't it currently at 174k sales on Steam alone? Presumably it's well over 200k including GOG, etc. [EDIT: On GOG.com it's listed as selling right between Serpents in the Staglands and Dead State, so if anyone has figures for those, we could probably determine approximately how many Tyranny sold.)

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  13. pippingender: ⚧ GOD MOD ENABLED

pippin
    Parrots:
    Well, Paradox's main man, when confronted with the "what would you do with a million dollars for budget" question, said he would use 100k and use the rest for leisure. Paradox, imo, is a company that understands niches and thrives on them. That's good for AA companies like Obsidian. I think what they meant was "It didn't sold as much as PoE or CK2", but I don't think Tyranny was supposed to be in line with those games.

^ Top  
  14. Wonderdoggender: ⚧ Neckbeard Shitlord's alt

Wonderdog
    Parrots:
    At 100k or even 200k you can't possibly make a game with enough budget to be worthwhile though, not with typical game company expenses anyways. Should have simply not made it obviously.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Wonderdoggender: ⚧ Neckbeard Shitlord's alt

Wonderdog
    Parrots:
    Thanks for pointing out my spelling mistake.

I meant to say why would anyone "bi" this nonsense.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 3
    ^ Top  
  16. luj1gender: ⚧ Savant

luj1
    Parrots:
    Honestly the worst game I ever played.

Obsidian cucks flagging this post in 3..2..1..

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    • butthurt x 7
    • Edgy x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • rolleyes x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Tigranesgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Well, yes, their expectations were likely higher than 200k - and as wonderdog points out, if you expected 100k sales you might as well not bother to start making. I didn't want to claim a solid number, only that I'm sure nobody budgeted Tyranny with a million sales in mind.

^ Top  
  18. Wonderdoggender: ⚧ Neckbeard Shitlord's alt

Wonderdog
    Parrots:
    They said they are disappointed so obviously they expected more.

^ Top  
  19. MRYgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Parrots:
    It really depends at what price point the 200k copies sold. If they yielded $20 a pop, then 200k sales is probably enough to cover development costs with the proverbially long tail yielding the profits.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  20. CRDgender: ⚧ Learned Patron

CRD
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    That happens when you sell a game that doesn't have an ending but a "to be continue"

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Make America Great Again Rogueygender: ⚧ Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    Worked for Mass Effect.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. EShgender: ⚧ Prophet

ESh
    Parrots:
    The game was priced at 40€ on launch, despite everyone being aware that this was Obsidian's B-Project (and as it turned out, an unfinished B-Project!) so why are Paradox having a hard time realizing why so few bought it to begin with?
    And while Tyranny had its moments, it was a lukewarm meal, which is why I won't been singing its praises on forums or recommend it over other CRPGs to my friends, and I imagine many others feel the same. There's nothing to analyze apart from the game itself really, they priced it disproportionately to the generated hype & actual game content and failed to make a game good enough to sell well by word-of-mouth. Kickstarter fatigue etc. are just bullshit excuses for their poor performance.

But going into specifics... One of the worst decisions I believe was putting a team of former MMO-developers in charge of the gameplay, resulting in skill-trees, automatized stat progression, cooldowns without resource management or action point costs, and combat gameplay that's best described as an abominable crossbreed between ARPG and CRPG that didn't inherit its father's rapid action, nor its mother's tactical depth - solidifying Tyranny as a B-RPG that fails to appeal to the casual audience as well as the core-CRPG crowd.

Secondly, the Story...

[​IMG]

I expected truly harsh choices from this setting, but was disappointed by having almost every single dilemma throughout the first act and the conquest prologue reduced to the same binary choice between two equally shallow factions:

But the DA2-tier faction conflict of Act 1 is not my worst gripe with the story...
    From Act 2 and forward, despite the game promising us "Ceasar's Legion: The Game - Judge Dredd Edition", the story devolves into your personal quest to break away and gain independence from our favourite hermaphroditic tyrant, not even giving us the option to stay loyal to Kyros' Empire! A generic adventure campaign against an evil overlord is the exact opposite of what I signed up for!

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Brofist Brofist x 11
    • Funny Funny x 6
    ^ Top  
  23. Iznaliugender: ⚧ Arbiter

Iznaliu
    Parrots:
    People have limited money and time to spend on games, and most people don't have strong genre preferences.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. commiegender: ⚧ The Last Marxist Patron

commie
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Yeah and it was always at a decent price(even at 50% off during a sale here and there), not in a $1 bundle, and 92%+ of owners actually played it compared to 67% of Expeditions owners which shows that a third at least came from unplayed bundle keys, never mind the others from those bundles that fired it up once which suggest at least half or more of 'sales' are for a dollar.

Retention rates are key for this type of game for any sequel and having a third of owners not even start the game once bodes ill for Viking which already is being pilloried for its bugs and has a much lower score. The only way it would come anywhere close to E:C sales is aggressive $1 Humble Bundle tiering and hoping there's other games people actually want to play in the bundle so they will pick this up by default(as to how many actually start the game it's another matter entirely).

On another point, Codex GOAT, PST:EE made by the same great dev that made Baldurs Gate(apparently) that sold a million between them, has around 20k sales though with 80% of those actually played, chances are it's even less since it's not really a game to buy just to let it sit with testing it at least once so probably in a margin of error. If such a game can only muster such sales, chances are that people just aren't into these games as much as people like to imagine they are. While not an exact comparison, given that it's TB, it will be interesting to see how D:OS2 shapes up. Hope I'm wrong, but given trends, even though it will likely be a much better game than the first, I think it will sell substantially less.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Zerielgender: ⚧ Arcane

Zeriel
    Parrots:
    I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that all of these games are mediocre wastes of time. Pillars especially is not one half the game Baldur's Gate 2 is. This all reminds me of the legions of MMO developers who failed at copying Blizzard's success who blamed it on market forces, anything but the fact they made shitty games.

I'm tired of bringing it up, but there's a reason Divinity Original Sin smashed its competitors. Its the only isometric revival project that was actually fun to play. There's only so much grognard virtue signalling a person can do before they get tired and just want to play something that's entertaining.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Yes! Yes! x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)