Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Paradox admit Tyranny sold below expectations, DLC still in the works

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
“Obsidian did a great job of capitalising on the timing of Kickstarter and the wave of nostalgia for these type of titles,

I hate people who think recent isometric RPGs return to popularity is caused mainly by nostalgia.
But it is. That's why the sales have normalized post-poe.

D:O2 will show you how normalized RPGs sales look like:salute:
Tyranny and TToN were just flukes.
DOS 2 will only be representative of co-op meme game sales.

Turnbased co-op meme game sales.
The co-op meme game for more civilized times.

Zanzoken

Arcane
If it even came close to expectations then they must not have expected much, because I don't think anyone outside of Obsidian and PoE fanboys gives a shit about Tyranny.

Tigranes

Arcane
If they had a brain cell between them, they would have spent very little and expected low sales - if it were me I'd have thought 100k, 200k. It's bad for them that the sales couldn't meet those (appropriately) low expectations.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
If they had a brain cell between them, they would have spent very little and expected low sales - if it were me I'd have thought 100k, 200k. It's bad for them that the sales couldn't meet those (appropriately) low expectations.
I'm confused -- isn't it currently at 174k sales on Steam alone? Presumably it's well over 200k including GOG, etc. [EDIT: On GOG.com it's listed as selling right between Serpents in the Staglands and Dead State, so if anyone has figures for those, we could probably determine approximately how many Tyranny sold.)

pippin

Well, Paradox's main man, when confronted with the "what would you do with a million dollars for budget" question, said he would use 100k and use the rest for leisure. Paradox, imo, is a company that understands niches and thrives on them. That's good for AA companies like Obsidian. I think what they meant was "It didn't sold as much as PoE or CK2", but I don't think Tyranny was supposed to be in line with those games.

Unwanted

Wonderdog

Neckbeard Shitlord's alt

At 100k or even 200k you can't possibly make a game with enough budget to be worthwhile though, not with typical game company expenses anyways. Should have simply not made it obviously.

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm confused -- isn't it currently at 174k sales on Steam alone? Presumably it's well over 200k including GOG, etc. [EDIT: On GOG.com it's listed as selling right between Serpents in the Staglands and Dead State, so if anyone has figures for those, we could probably determine approximately how many Tyranny sold.)

Well, yes, their expectations were likely higher than 200k - and as wonderdog points out, if you expected 100k sales you might as well not bother to start making. I didn't want to claim a solid number, only that I'm sure nobody budgeted Tyranny with a million sales in mind.

Unwanted

Wonderdog

Neckbeard Shitlord's alt
Well, Paradox's main man, when confronted with the "what would you do with a million dollars for budget" question, said he would use 100k and use the rest for leisure. Paradox, imo, is a company that understands niches and thrives on them. That's good for AA companies like Obsidian. I think what they meant was "It didn't sold as much as PoE or CK2", but I don't think Tyranny was supposed to be in line with those games.

They said they are disappointed so obviously they expected more.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
It really depends at what price point the 200k copies sold. If they yielded $20 a pop, then 200k sales is probably enough to cover development costs with the proverbially long tail yielding the profits.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Darn you, Watch Dogs 2/Final Fantasy XV/Pokemon/Dishonored 2/ect for stealing all of our Tyranny sales!!! There was just too much competition for isometric RPGs in November! How dare they steal all of the customers!

People have limited money and time to spend on games, and most people don't have strong genre preferences.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Meanwhile PoE sold bout 1 million.

After over a year. :M

Yeah and it was always at a decent price(even at 50% off during a sale here and there), not in a $1 bundle, and 92%+ of owners actually played it compared to 67% of Expeditions owners which shows that a third at least came from unplayed bundle keys, never mind the others from those bundles that fired it up once which suggest at least half or more of 'sales' are for a dollar.

Retention rates are key for this type of game for any sequel and having a third of owners not even start the game once bodes ill for Viking which already is being pilloried for its bugs and has a much lower score. The only way it would come anywhere close to E:C sales is aggressive $1 Humble Bundle tiering and hoping there's other games people actually want to play in the bundle so they will pick this up by default(as to how many actually start the game it's another matter entirely).

On another point, Codex GOAT, PST:EE made by the same great dev that made Baldurs Gate(apparently) that sold a million between them, has around 20k sales though with 80% of those actually played, chances are it's even less since it's not really a game to buy just to let it sit with testing it at least once so probably in a margin of error. If such a game can only muster such sales, chances are that people just aren't into these games as much as people like to imagine they are. While not an exact comparison, given that it's TB, it will be interesting to see how D:OS2 shapes up. Hope I'm wrong, but given trends, even though it will likely be a much better game than the first, I think it will sell substantially less.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that all of these games are mediocre wastes of time. Pillars especially is not one half the game Baldur's Gate 2 is. This all reminds me of the legions of MMO developers who failed at copying Blizzard's success who blamed it on market forces, anything but the fact they made shitty games.

I'm tired of bringing it up, but there's a reason Divinity Original Sin smashed its competitors. Its the only isometric revival project that was actually fun to play. There's only so much grognard virtue signalling a person can do before they get tired and just want to play something that's entertaining.

Iznaliu

Arbiter

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that all of these games are mediocre wastes of time. Pillars especially is not one half the game Baldur's Gate 2 is. This all reminds me of the legions of MMO developers who failed at copying Blizzard's success who blamed it on market forces, anything but the fact they made shitty games.

People not buying shitty games is technically a 'market force'

Zeriel

Arcane

People not buying shitty games is technically a 'market force'

Sure, but it's not a mysterious "we just didn't launch it at the right time/there wasn't demand for our perfect product" effect.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom