Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Paper Sorcerer Released

V_K

Arcane
Okay, so I finished the latest bug-free build, and you know what - it has the best ending I've seen in RPG in years (if not ever)! Simply brilliant!

You played Summoning?

So far this game had best ending in RPGs for me.
Yes, quite recently. Its "true ending" was brilliant, I agree, but Paper Sorcerer's is even better. That's all very subjective, of course.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Why hero had to mend staff?

because he is descendant of one who entered and won Darkspyre.

About ending

Also, i never saw ending which allows you to rule evil empire itself that you fought at first place.

V_K

Arcane
About ending

Also, i never saw ending which allows you to rule evil empire itself that you fought at first place.
Huh. I though that's what you meant citing Summoning as an example of good ending.
It's rather inobvious but easy to achieve:
After the "dad" ending, take Shadow Weaver's garments and wear them, then exit by either of the teleporters. Since no one had ever seen her without them, you just take her place.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Okay, so I finished the latest bug-free build, and you know what - it has the best ending I've seen in RPG in years (if not ever)! Simply brilliant!

I hate to ask this, but since I don't have the time to play it at the moment, could you spoil that ending (pretty please)? In spoiler tags, of course. I'm curious if it's anything like any of Wiz4's endings.

V_K

Arcane

I hate to ask this, but since I don't have the time to play it at the moment, could you spoil that ending (pretty please)? In spoiler tags, of course. I'm curious if it's anything like any of Wiz4's endings.
No, nothing like that.
Basically, you escape the book and find youself with the whole crowd of your monster cellmates in a modern-day bookstore. And then there are some slides detailing how the Sorcerer and his minions settled in this alien world ;).

Repressed Homosexual
I decided to buy it since it looked very interesting. Like the game a lot, but I am disappointed at the ultra-tiny levels with no puzzles or complexity.

Also it has to be said again, the graphics are really incredibly annoying to stare at, I still feel really dizzy. At least add a few colors, even Wizardry on the Apple II had some, it wouldn't compromise the game's appeal. I think it actually severely limits this game's appeal. It's not everyone who will accept to stare at pea soup vomit.

V_K

Arcane
I decided to buy it since it looked very interesting. Like the game a lot, but I am disappointed at the ultra-tiny levels with no puzzles or complexity.
How many levels have you completed? They get larger later (though not a lot), and get some puzzles too (mostly secret doors).
The author says he's adding some new content to the new release, so you may want to delay playing a bit.

Repressed Homosexual
How many levels have you completed? They get larger later (though not a lot), and get some puzzles too (mostly secret doors).
The author says he's adding some new content to the new release, so you may want to delay playing a bit.

That's good to know, I'll wait for a long long time.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
New patch is out, includes a "new series of events/puzzles"

v1.5 11/17/2013
Changes

- New series of events/puzzles
- Added controls option to title menu
- Title menu adjusted
- Title menu graphics increased resolution
- New song for Catacombs battles
- New boss song
-Icons indicating what stat a skill uses
- Second encounter with guards moved to after you aquire equipment, changed to two guards
- Items have combat animations
- Alternate reward for freeing Giant
- Goblin's Steal skill changed to Cheap Shot, now does damage in addition to stealing
- Fixed funky door
- Removed confirmation when taking items
- Scrolls start events/more feedback on what they do
- Fixed Magus trainers
- Fixed invisible switch
- Summon menu tweaked, hotkey bug fixed
- Added description to all skills
- Issue with Catacombs/Reaper dungeon doors addressed
- Updated info text
- Fixed items that start events skipping first screen of text
- Fixed story items being consumed
- Rebalanced Werewolf damage
- Rebalanced Catacombs encounters
- Fixed parts merchant "tilting"
- Fixed cabinet on 5-1
- Fixed columns on 5-2
- Flying beast rebalanced
- Rebalanced seal and cripple
- Added menu highlighting for shop screen
- Feedback on unequip for class changing
- Fixed respawning chest on 7-3
- Edited items descriptions so they don't overlap the price
- Sorcerer now permanent battle party member
- Fixed errors in the battles in the Reaper dungeon
- Removed mouse highlighting in menus, only keyboard highlights

Known issues:
- No invert mouse option
- No sound volume options
- Graphic options not saving (windowed/fullscreen and resolution)
- Sometimes enemies aren't woken up from sleep how they're supposed to
- When fighting large groups of enemies, some of them are
situated at the edges of the screen. When you hit those
enemies, damage numbers appear in the wrong place
- Sometimes status effects expire unexpectedly

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
New patch is out; highlights:

- Restoration crystals added to shop item list
- Resting in bed now revives characters

Congrats mate, your game is now easier than Dragon Age 2.

Yes, I feel the game was bordering on a bit too easy before the most recent changes. I haven't had a whole lot of time to play it; I'm almost finished with block 5 on Hard difficulty, so maybe it gets harder later. I rarely take much, if any, damage during non-boss encounters. I think the only boss I had some problems with was the knight before you first reach the town. The summons I selected weren't well suited for that encounter, and the skill options were limited.

The game is mostly fun, and I'll probably finish it, but combat has devolved into using the same set of 3 or 4 skills for each character, in pretty much the same exact order.

I've considered it, but I'm not sure I want to go through everything again so soon. For me, by far the most difficult areas were the first block or two, so I can understand why there would be problems so soon. It would be interesting to try out some of the other summons, but I feel I have a more or less optimal setup right now (Sorcerer, Vampire, Imp, Minotaur).

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
try 1980s? i couldn't get past the 2nd encounter on that.

you're doing something wrong. I think the only one I stumbled on my first try on 1980s was the knight on the bridge, but poison from my witch got to him in the end (rooster: Minotaur, Witch, Abomination)

V_K

Arcane
I've considered it, but I'm not sure I want to go through everything again so soon. For me, by far the most difficult areas were the first block or two, so I can understand why there would be problems so soon. It would be interesting to try out some of the other summons, but I feel I have a more or less optimal setup right now (Sorcerer, Vampire, Imp, Minotaur).
Imp&Minotaur is an overpowered combination, yes (and, frankly, Minoraur by himself too), especially given the Sleep bug. Switch one of then for some other summon and it'll get much more exciting ;)

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

Clearly Ghost is better than Imp. Vampires are unimpeachable though.

try 1980s? i couldn't get past the 2nd encounter on that.

you're doing something wrong. I think the only one I stumbled on my first try on 1980s was the knight on the bridge, but poison from my witch got to him in the end (rooster: Minotaur, Witch, Abomination)
I'm not sure when you tried it, but I remember reading that the 2nd encounter was changed at some point. Originally, there were three guards, and they were before the equipment chest. I believe now there's only two guards and they're after the chest, so its possible that made a difference.

I hadn't read anything about the game before playing it, so I made the summon choices without really knowing their abilities. I think the order I selected them was Minotaur, Goblin, Vampire, Imp, and Abomination. I did rotate them around a bit. I used the Puppet for a while, but I didn't find much equipment for him. The Goblin was pretty weak.

I'd say the Minotaur is only above average. For me, he does little to no damage against heavily armored targets (which is about a third of them), plus he's fairly gear dependent. Imp Sleep is overpowered; Fear is only slightly less so, since it only affects one target. And yes, Vampire is strong - a jack-of-all-trades, and only just shy a master in all of them.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
that might explain it, I tried the most recent version and found that it was pretty normal on the 1980ies mode

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom