Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Pandora: First Contact review

Gondolin

Arcane
Yes, they do. It's a pain in the... eye to read the review.

Also: "This seemingly obvious innovation finally allows us division of labour, instead of every city in your land having to be self-sufficient." Master of Magic did this for troop support, IIRC.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The formating is a bit off in the review, i have to keep scrolling, otherwise, great review, not sure if i will get it tho, i could just as easy reinstall Alpha centauri, cheaper aswell.

Mortmal

Arcane
Its not a bad game but i dontt hink its as good as alpha centaury , its more like what civ 5 is to civ 4 to be honest, missing features there and there. It seems much more war oriented than smac , there's a clear advantage when picking the military factions, especially imperium, the others dont get anything of worth. AI is ok but somewhat erratic, it can break a treaty and immediately attack for no reasons. I've seen worse than that in similar games, but that means diplomacy is to be avoided and the only way to win is to spam better military units then invade.

oscar

Arcane
Shrinked the pictures down further. Solved the formatting but now the text extracts are pretty tough to read.

BvG

Novice
Shrinked the pictures down further. Solved the formatting but now the text extracts are pretty tough to read.
crop, don't resize :)

as for the game, i tried to play it but being more of a builder, the constant need for troop production kinda put me off... It's weird how that works, because the same problem is putting me off crusader kings II, which is after all a vastly different game.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
can't read anything on the pics now. just make clickable thumbnails to big versions and it won't cause any probs with formatting.

oscar

Arcane
Put links to the original sized pictures in the captions.

oscar

Arcane
Bro good review.

Seems like there are innovative features (that food/production/science system is cool) but it needs more stuffing and more factions. Also are the factions like 2d parodies of the SMAC factions as they were before?

Is it moddable? How much time somebody decides to mod SMAC to it?

It's moddable. I'd say the writing and 'fluff' is actually quite solid and well-done by genre standards. Not as thought-provoking or subtly dark as SMAC and more on the lulzy side but hey, they can't have cut-and-paste SMAC's writing and ideas. I actually think the Divine Ascension (in the game's own words "a social pyramid that combines the worst parts of Facebook, Scientology and North Korea") is a more interesting and intelligent idea than the rather banal Christian fundamentalist Lord's Believers (aside from Miriam who is revealed later in the game via tech quotes to be a lot wiser than you'd have guessed).

An ambitious expansion pack would go a very long way with this title. Civ V started out quite bland and undeniably worse than Civ IV but improved leaps and bounds (if you can accept the fundamentally different one-unit-per-tile combat and anti-expansion happiness mechanic) into a very strong title in its own right with G&K.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Put links to the original sized pictures in the captions.
you seem to have slightly messed up the ending while doing that by not closing the last caption.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom