Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Paid mods are back - Bethesda's "Creation Club" for Fallout 4 and Skyrim

Sykar

Arcane
REAL SHIT
7OORk17.png

At least they were honest by calling it "open-world gaming" instead of "open-world RPG"...

Falksi

Arcane
FO4 and Skyrim sold well on consoles. Console people don't need or really want mods, it's a novelty to them. These people don't see the games as barely playable either.

FO4 sold well largely on the back of New Vegas, and Skyrim was OK as a "new" thing for console players back in 2011.

I'm sure TES 6 will sell well too based on the back of Skyrim, but by the time TES 7 is out the penny will be dropping even with them that the shallow-loot fest isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Skyrim & FO were something new-ish for console players in recent years. By the time TES 7 is out they'll need more gimmicks to keep them interested, and having to pay for them may even wake them up to the lack of substence in these games.

I guess a lot depends on how the consoles themselves evolve.

Educated
Do we know if modders are even making this stuff? There are no attributed authors and I'm guessing anything with BGS in the filename came from Bethesda's interns.
I tried looking for this and found out shotgun was made by asXas and backpack by FadingSignal. I couldn't find the rest so I assume they're made by Bethesda. Also found out this thread and a few things looked interesting:
https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/5942763-so-the-creation-club-just-launched/?p=53087353
"better than minimum wage in Sweden" sounds better than I thought. I don't understand why they don't show the mod authors though

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

http://www.pcgamer.com/i-know-peopl...free-says-bethesda-on-creation-club-backlash/

'I know people are upset but mods are and will continue to remain free,' says Bethesda on Creation Club backlash
"People can continue to do whatever the hell they want... create what you want, go nuts."

Bethesda's divisive Creation Club launched into beta last week to a mixed reception. Despite claiming not to be a paid mods system, there are aspects to the initiative which make it seem that way—something Chris has discussed on more than one occasion. Speaking at PAX West last week, Pete Hines addressed Bethesda's standpoint on mods, its future plans, and the Creation Club itself.

In conversation with Tek Syndicate, Hines was first asked about Bethesda's relationship and overall goal with mods into the future.

"We have been supporting mods and making the mod community grow and be viable since 2002. We're going to continue to try and do new things. That's it," says Hines. "We're gonna continue to try new stuff and see what works and see what doesn't. We tried paid mods—it didn't work. Allowing people to pay for the mods and have them be that long and all the stuff, all the problems, we said: okay, we're not going to do paid mods."

Tek Syndicate then suggests to Hines than an underlying worry of players is that modders who feature their work on Nexus Mods and/or Steam workshop might stop supplying mods here in the pursuit of money.

"It doesn't seem to have been the case for many of the creators we're working with so far. They're like: there's stuff that I want to pitch you guys for that and I still have mods that I want to do and so I'm going to do both," Hines explains. "You have to understand that one of the reasons that this is not paid mods is that when they're working for us it's a job. They're not getting paid only if the stuff sells, they're getting paid like an external contractor all along the way.

"The risk is removed for them because they're getting paid and treated like a real external developer, working alongside us. They wanna go do mods in their free time? Well they still can, because this is a job and that's mods and the two just aren't the same."

Hines continues: "You get to take somebody who's known for mods and give them a chance to get to experience being a game developer… Look it's early days, it hasn't been a week [at the time of interview]. I know people are upset and frustrated but at the end of the day mods are and will continue to remain free. Modders can continue to do whatever they want through our own stuff, through Nexus, go nuts."

Hines is then pressed about the standard of mods that feature on the Creation Club, with Tek Syndicate suggesting it's possible to get better quality mods on the likes of Nexus for free.

"Right. But that's subjective. And we're not requiring you to buy Creation Club creations to continue playing the game that you already own," Hines replies. "It's no different than if there's a videogame out there and you don't like it because you don't think it's as good as something else that's free-to-play or some mod that somebody's doing—then don't buy it. I don't understand what the problem is that across all platforms that there's an offering that somebody has to buy, because you also have the choice to not buy it.

"We've been supporting this for 15 years, it exists because we wanted it to. We put all of the effort into the Creation Club, we continued to put tools out to make sure that modders could do that. We could have a long time ago said: no, you can only make it available through these.

"There was all the same concern, by the way, when we said we were doing mods on Bethesda.net. And what was the big outcry? Oh, they're trying to shut down Nexus and everything else. Did that actually happen? Are you having trouble finding mods on Nexus? Is there a shortage of those? No. People can continue to do whatever the hell they want, have fun, it's modding, play with what you want, create what you want, go nuts."

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I tried looking for this and found out shotgun was made by asXas and backpack by FadingSignal. I couldn't find the rest so I assume they're made by Bethesda. Also found out this thread and a few things looked interesting:
https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/5942763-so-the-creation-club-just-launched/?p=53087353
"better than minimum wage in Sweden" sounds better than I thought. I don't understand why they don't show the mod authors though
The minimum wage in Sweden is zero.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I've donated 5-10 bucks to the guy that makes the Steel Faith mod for Warhammer because he is extermely diligent, makes sensible changes and is approachable as a person. I also donated to the Dwarf Fotress guy. In both cases I felt like they deserved a reward for their hard work. You know who doesn't deserve money, especially for other people's work? Bethesda.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Holly hell, just look at the list of Pete Hines' favourite games: Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, original Xcom, Gold Box SSI games etc.

He truly is an ex Codexian who pumped his mercantile skill to max. and is selling skooma to kids and idiots while at the same time, like true master dealer, not tasting the wares except when he needs to prove to customers that shit is good and clean.

So many double thinks, so many contradictory statements from him in that interview (like when dude asked him aren't current mods overpriced and not worthy compared especially to their free counterparts to which he replied that it's subjective, no shit but everything good about them you said is not only objective but axiom :roll:) it's too bad dude interviewing him was too big of a cuck to ask him hard hitting questions and actually call him out on their bs in fear that he'll be black listed. Well after this not complete blowjob of interiew he is anyway so he could have at least asked him a few real hard questions or follow ups on his bs replies.

Lol at his boasting how them dumbing down Skyrim by removing skills was good thing. He also always boasts how Horse Armor was selling excellently especially when they raised its price whenever some even mainstream gaming jurnulists would ask him about that controversy. Let that sink in, people were buying fucking horse armor even more than usually when its price was increased once as part of April Fool's joke. Also that horse armor power armor which now they sell for 5 bucks is not as some fans dumbfucks said a little joke on their behalf. No, you fucking retards, they are laughing at YOU because countless morons will buy it anyway. Who is fool now?

Why is Bethesda successful? Cause they know exactly how to cover their bases: kiddoes, dumfucks, dudebroes, occasional gamur gurl, guys in mid life crises with little time on their hands and no time for 'old skool tedious rpg mechanics' and fanboys. Oh and they have monopoly on oper world larper shit. War Horse, CD Projekt and Obsidian should shake that market in near future, we'll see.

MOVE THE FUCK ON! Forget about Bethesda. Fuck Todd! Fuck Pete! Let them both be diddled by Supermutant with loaded mini nuke, hue hue so lulzy so Bethesda. Find new companies who actually not only make good games and treat their customers well but also make good rpgs. Stick with them and when they inevitably go the Bethesda/Bioware/Rockstar/Valve route just fucking DITCH them like they ditched you. And look for new company. They want new audience, well then they are no longer needed.

Some say Bethesda went downhill after Daggerfall. Others after Morrowind. Or Oblivion. Or Skyrim. Whatever might be start day of you no longer being considered part of their target audience is irrelevant. Your wishes and needs no longer align with theirs. Ditch her, she'll fucking lead you to your grave. Find new one. There are tons of them out there.

Let me introduce you to this qt one for example. Larian, this is.....

:mixedemotions:

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Apparently the .exe for Fallout 4 will change every time the creation club is updated with new paid mods. It's been rumored that this is a ploy by Bethesda to sabotage the Script Extender as free mods can now be seen as "competitors" due to how they can be stealing potential revenue from Bethesda.

Free mods won't die with TES6; they'll die with TES7. Bethesda knows how to play its cards.
Only because there are still alternatives. For Skyrim anyway at least.
Apparently the .exe for Fallout 4 will change every time the creation club is updated with new paid mods.

Source? This sounds too weird to be true.
Just conjecture i've heard on forums and other places. Nothing concrete as of yet, though i'm curious whether or not each subsequent update to the CC for new items will alter the exe. I should have clarified initially that I was basing this off of rumors.
Do we know if modders are even making this stuff? There are no attributed authors and I'm guessing anything with BGS in the filename came from Bethesda's interns.

Either way, shit idea, hopefully no one buys any of this crap. I didn't think they were that out of touch with reality until they made a fucking horse armor joke.

:flamesaw::timetoburn::timetoburn::timetoburn::timetoburn::timetoburn:
:timetoburn:
The guy who made the hellfire armor and Chinese Stealth Suit is making mods for the CC. As is Elianora, who's a fairly popular house building modder, and that Trainwiz guy as well. He made maxwells world for Fallout 4 IIRC. He's also claimed that it's only .esp(s) that can have only 4k references, and Bethesda allows more with ESMs, although im dubious to his claim, as he seems to be the lying type. Unless Bethesda is playing big favorites with certain quest modders for the rarer .ESM files.
http://trainwiz.tumblr.com/page/5

Oh, also the someguy modder is also making. . .something, I think. He's the one who made the mod New Vegas Bounties and its subsequent sequels.

Last edited:

MWaser

Arbiter
FO4 and Skyrim sold well on consoles. Console people don't need or really want mods, it's a novelty to them. These people don't see the games as barely playable either.

FO4 sold well largely on the back of New Vegas, and Skyrim was OK as a "new" thing for console players back in 2011.

I'm sure TES 6 will sell well too based on the back of Skyrim, but by the time TES 7 is out the penny will be dropping even with them that the shallow-loot fest isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Skyrim & FO were something new-ish for console players in recent years. By the time TES 7 is out they'll need more gimmicks to keep them interested, and having to pay for them may even wake them up to the lack of substence in these games.

I guess a lot depends on how the consoles themselves evolve.
I'm pretty sure the target audience for these games on consoles at this point are people who unironically pay for special resources in wait-fest mobile games to speed up progress in a game that's all about spending money and meaningless progress, so they probably consider games where you actually do stuff like shoot things total masterpieces and the target audience that exists to buy their shit won't dwindle down to nothingness any time soon.

Falksi

Arcane
I'm pretty sure the target audience for these games on consoles at this point are people who unironically pay for special resources in wait-fest mobile games to speed up progress in a game that's all about spending money and meaningless progress, so they probably consider games where you actually do stuff like shoot things total masterpieces and the target audience that exists to buy their shit won't dwindle down to nothingness any time soon.

The key thing is what drives your average "tard" to be sucked into throwing money away without engaing their brain first - change, newness & gimmicks.

The likes of Skyrim were something fresh for these tards back in 2011, and FO4 was "cyber-Skyrim". It was something fairly new to most of them, and they were all excited & hyped up for something they'd not really experienced before. Not to mention that period saw a significant breakthrough for Fantasy themed entertainment such as Games of Thrones to drive home said trend (a bit like Heavy metal crossing into the mainstream in the 70's/80's)

Some are still chugging along that train, but come TES 7 they novelty will have worn off, and there's be another new & shiney trend for them to follow.

Now Bethesda will no doubt keep them lured in to a large degree with stuff like "ride a dragon!" etc., but that'll only work for so long as other, newer, more gimmicky games & methods of play will arise too.

You chaps give too much credit for how "loyal" these tards are. When the next big shiney gimmick/trend/fad pops up they'll be off. Bethesda will have to change tact to keep up, and expecting them to commit to these "brands" for that amount of time is laughably out of touch & naive.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Some say Bethesda went downhill after Daggerfall. Others after Morrowind. Or Oblivion. Or Skyrim. Whatever might be start day of you no longer being considered part of their target audience is irrelevant. Your wishes and needs no longer align with theirs. Ditch her, she'll fucking lead you to your grave. Find new one. There are tons of them out there.

No. There is no other waifu out there who is quite like Morrowind.

:negative:

Danikas

Arcane

Let it go :dead:

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
I've read some more info from Trainwiz ( a popular modder who is part of the creation club) and from what he said there is sizable content being developed for this system. In fact, the ESL file format isn't a restriction, once they surpass the 4000 limit the file just becomes a Master File.

Bethesda probably should have mentioned that when they released the program lol

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Let it go :dead:

It's like watching an 8/10 woman you once had a wonderful affair with turn into a shriveled up crackwhore who has slept with everyone in town (of both sexes) and lost all the things that made her appealing to you, and you know she'll never recover from this because her best features have literally been amputated, yet you still remember what she used to be and it's just sad.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
They say modders will fix it.

There, they fixed it: http://www.pcgamer.com/a-mod-that-r...-from-fallout-4s-main-menu-is-pretty-popular/

A mod that removes Creation Club news from Fallout 4's main menu is pretty popular
It's the 2nd most voted-for mod this month on Nexus Mods' Fallout 4 page, and it's been downloaded over 9,000 times.

43uCLmD5JTsPT3BN9XeZkh-650-80.jpg

Bethesda's Creation Club, which sells small pieces of content created by paid modders, hasn't received an entirely warm welcome from the Fallout 4 community. Among other concerns and complaints, there's the fact that since updating to version 1.10.20, a rather large and unsubtle advertisement for the Creation Club now appears in the upper right corner of the main menu. Well, leave it to a modder to figure out a way to remove it.

The mod, created by 'InAComaDial999', is called No More Creation Club News, and it's currently the second most voted-for mod this month on Nexus Mods' Fallout 4 page. Once installed, you won't need to see the Creation Club announcement (and the offer of 100 credits to use in the store) every time you start the game. I suppose you can read it as an objection to the Club itself, or as a simple desire to remove an unwanted element from the menu. Either way, it's what mods are for: to tailor a game in a way that suits you.

Seethe

Arbiter

Either way, shit idea, hopefully no one buys any of this crap. I didn't think they were that out of touch with reality until they made a fucking horse armor joke.

:flamesaw::timetoburn::timetoburn::timetoburn::timetoburn::timetoburn:
:timetoburn:

Right? We're laughing at you Bethesda, not with you.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
If they use credits, can't you modify them with Cheat Engine? I did that with Mass Effect 3 multiplayer.

MWaser

Arbiter
If they use credits, can't you modify them with Cheat Engine? I did that with Mass Effect 3 multiplayer.
I'm pretty sure the resource here works like any currency in some kind of Xbox live or some shit, since it's not game specific (creations club exists for both Fallout 4 and Skyrim and presumably credits carry over between your... idk, Playstation 4 Skyrim and PC Fallout 4?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom