Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

P.A.M.E.L.A. (survival horror)

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
NVYVE Studios/utopian survival-horror

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Oh thank god it's not another Amnesia clone. Granted it is just sci-fi zombies, but I'll take that over running-and-hiding #202010.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
http://steamcommunity.com/games/427880/announcements/detail/941640769132121347
Release February 2017
This week we've got a pretty major announcement to make, one that many of you have been asking about lately. Apologies for being a bit hush-hush with this until now, but we wanted to make sure that we were totally confident before sharing anything.

If you've been following our dev blogs on Steam, or even on our website before our Steam page went live, you know we've been hard at work bringing this game to life for a long time, just over 2 years in fact. P.A.M.E.L.A. is our first game here at NVYVE Studios, and the development process has included an equal share of successes and hardships, as fellow developers will be intimately familiar with. We're all perfectionists, and the last thing we want is to fall short of meeting your expectations when we release P.A.M.E.L.A..

The news this week, after weighing the pros and cons, is that we're pushing back our previously stated "Fall" release date. I'm extremely proud of what we've accomplished thus far, and if you've been keeping up with our dev blogs, hopefully you'll be able to see that we've been pushing constantly to both build a great game and be as transparent as possible. Development is moving at a great pace, and we know that with a few more months we'll be able to add a ton of great new content and polish for you to experience at launch.

So, you might be wondering, when ARE we releasing? We're able to pinpoint a window with a high degree of confidence at this point, and that window is "February 2017". This will give us some much needed extra time to add features and content, as well as polishing what's there. While I can't pinpoint an exact day to mark on your calendars just yet, rest assured that we'll be announcing a firm date shortly into the New Year, as soon as we're able to do so.
Hopefully you'll agree with us in prioritizing a stronger launch over an earlier launch. As gamers, we've all been burnt by picking up a game right at launch, only to find ourselves wishing we had waited a few months for things to smooth out. Like I said above, transparency is very important to us; it's why we make a point of writing these weekly updates, and it's why we're being as honest and open as possible about the reasoning behind this delay. We're extremely excited about how things have been progressing, and can't wait for you all to get your hands on P.A.M.E.L.A. early next year!

And as always, we've got the usual progress update below:

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
http://steamcommunity.com/games/427880/announcements/detail/630906352235564563

Hello everyone! Just 2 short days to go before launch; the time sure is flying.

We'll have a larger post on Thursday, covering things from current state of the game, to roadmap, to bug reporting, and more. In the meantime, we wanted to address a few questions and bits of feedback you guys have been posting.

Q: When does PAMELA unlock? Why can't I BUY BUY BUY now?

A: P.A.M.E.L.A. will unlock at 9AM EST on Thursday March 9th. As much as we appreciate your enthusiasm, we unfortunately can't make the "buy" button active until release, due to Steam's internal workings. The download size is currently around ~3.5GB, so with a decent download speed you won't have to wait toooo long after purchase to jump in!

Q: How much will P.A.M.E.L.A. cost?

A: After much deliberation and discussion, we've set on a price of $24.99 USD (or your regional equivalent). There's a huge amount of content and world to discover within Eden, and beyond that, we have several major updates planned for the coming months. Stay tuned for thursday's post for more details about those plans.

Q: Where did full controller support go?

A: A bug came up recently in which controllers did not function in the Main Menu; we've since fixed the bug, and will be updating the feature listed on the store page in the next day or so once the final release build is uploaded.

Q: Will there be a non-permadeath mode?

A: PAMELA was always designed and balanced with Permadeath in mind, and this will always be the "Standard" way to play, but ultimately we want all of you to enjoy the game and survive within Eden in the way that's right for you. To that end, we'll be adding a non-permadeath game mode for those of you who prefer a less punishing playstyle, and don't mind game balancing being somewhat less fine tuned.

Unfortunately there will not be time to implement this before launch on Thursday, but rest assured this is something we'll be looking into in the near future.

Q: Will there be a "peaceful" mode?

A: Similar to the permadeath point above; obviously, PAMELA has been designed heavily with combat in mind, with a whole host of NPCs to encounter and fight/sneak around, but again we do want to accomodate everyone's interests whenever possible. We'll be looking into this after release as well.

Thank you for all the amazing support and feedback so far! We are reading and listening to all of the comments and feedback here. While we can't promise to make every single person happy, we will defintely be doing our best to make sure you enjoy P.A.M.E.L.A. to the fullest extent we can muster.

Anyway, time to get back to work! We've knocked off another 170 bugs/improvements so far since last post, and we'll be working up to (and beyond!) release to continue this momentum.

See you thursday!

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
This will be releasing on June 18th. Includes also a story mode, whatever that will entail.

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/427880/view/2237673324846095530

Dev Blog #91: P.A.M.E.L.A. is releasing on June 18th!
Experience the full story coming soon!
210c3f4c569d38a2a8e1be1665cc23d6256f3856.jpg

Happy Thursday! We have some major news we are extremely excited to share - at long last, P.A.M.E.L.A. will be fully released on June 18th!

The main meat of this major milestone is of course the story - you'll be working with PAMELA herself to return Eden from the brink... if you can survive long enough! We don't want to give too much away since you'll be able to experience it for yourself firsthand in the very near future... we're so excited to share this after keeping it under wraps for so long!

Aside from that are a ton of other additions and improvements - Steam Achievements, new side quests, stability improvements, balance tweaks, and of course bug fixes... we've been keeping a close eye on all of the discussions here and have been hard at work addressing every point brought up.

Just because P.A.M.E.L.A. is leaving Early Access doesn't mean we are dropping all further development; we will be closely monitoring and staying involved with the community after release, making sure to tweak and address any issues and suggestions that might arise with this huge content drop.

It has been a truly wild ride since development began, leading up to Early Access release, and everything since... we cannot say THANK YOU enough to those of you who have so patiently waited and supported us along this journey. We are so excited to share the major update, bringing the long awaited story to life and finally calling the game complete after all these years.

Back to work for now while we button up everything before the 18th... as always, stay tuned, and mark your calendars!

Ash

Arcane
I hate the name, it's weird, but naturally that is barely relevant and I too am curious about the game itself. Who is going to do the recon and report back to the codex?

Spukrian

Savant
tl;dr: I really like this game despite its flaws. I definitely want to replay this a few times. Be warned though, it has quite a few bugs and demands a lot of your computer.

I'm playing this right now. I'm almost finished with it. So this is a survival horror, heavy emphasis on survival. You build a base somewhere where there's lots of sunlight and you scrounge for food, water, and random crap used to craft things. You accumulate fatigue and need to sleep because fatigue caps your stamina bar.

Combat took a while for me to learn. It demands a certain rhythm. Weapons are crap untill you upgrade them. There are seven weapons, or, actually there are fourteen, because each weapon has a special "sin" version with slightly different upgrades (e.g. the fully upgraded "Greed" Mortar Welder makes enemies drop more money). Oh, and you can always punch people with your fists.

Stealth feels good. The enemies have acute hearing but their eyesight is poor, especially if it's dark (which it will be for most of the game). Turning on the flashlight though will of course make them home in on you. There is a particular enemy wich is silent untill it detects you fully and it also has excellent hearing, there has been a few times when I jumped because it was standing right behind me in the dark and I hadn't noticed it approach.

Enemies belong to different factionss that don't like eachother and they will fight if they meet. The Robot Faction is neutral and won't harm you, unless they see you commit a crime. So don't hack any doors or containers if the Seeker or the Observer is around.

Hacking is solved through minigames, there are two kinds: logic and reflex. I always use security bypass for the harder reflex hacking.

The level design is great. It's one open world where you can go everywhere from the start (provided you have the means to suvive there). The levels themselves are large and labyrinthine, it's easy to get lost. Sadly though there is no verticality though. The jump is pitiful and there nowhere interesting you can reach. Also the last part of the game, Nirvana District, is very large but feels a bit sparse and empty.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, the game has been heavily inspired by System Shock 1&2, BioShock, Arkane etc. There's equipment that give passive bonuses when equipped, a few give you an ability. If you equip the same armor in all three slots then their bonus is better I believe.

The story is barebones. The floating city is being destroyed by a disease which turn people into zombie mutants etc. The AI governing the city wakes the player character from cryosleep, because the people in cryosleep are the only ones uninfected. She then directs you to do stuff. If you only do the main quest (there are no real side quests) the game would be very short (but why would you do that?). The background lore of the story is told through the AI's audiologs that you can find everywhere and occasionally a written log on a computer (but those are rare).

Be warned, the game has quite a few bugs, nothing gamebreaking has happened to me (yet) but I've read horror stories. Right now I have an annoying bug (I hope it's a bug) where somehow 300 - 400 hours where added TWICE to all the restock timers in all the shops in the game. The game has crashed only once so far. It does get the fans to spin so fast that it almost causes an earthquke though.

I haven't finished the game yet, but I read that the ending was a disappointment. Hmm.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom