Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oxygen Not Included - space colony sim from Klei

EnthalpyFlow

Scholar
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
No, that's a strange decission, but this is the same as any other EA, buy now, get access to the EA AND the final game. It's on the game's FAQ. I'll update the post.

Edit: Welp, due to me mistakenly posting this in the wrong forum and asking a mod for a move, I can't edit the original post.

EnthalpyFlow

Scholar
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
FAQ

What are the system requirements?
Specs are likely to change, but currently these are the requirements we have. It is highly recommended that you do not purchase if you aren't over this spec as we may have to raise the spec in the future.

• OS: Windows 7 64 bit or Windows 8 64 bit or Windows 10 64 bit
  • Processor: I5 2.0 GHz Dual core(or AMD equivalent)
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Intel HD 4600 (AMD or NVIDIA equivalent)
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Storage: 1.5 GB available space
Will there be OSX/Linux support?
We plan on adding OSX/Linux support at a later date.

If I purchase during Alpha, will I get the full game at launch?
Yes. When you buy Oxygen Not Included during alpha, you will have access to the game through early-access and you will get the full game at launch.

What about other platforms(consoles/mobile)?
There are no plans to support any other platforms at this time.

I found a bug/have a suggestion. What should I do?
Come let us know about it on the forums!

Will there be multiplayer?
There are currently no plans to add multiplayer.

Is there an NDA, can I stream the Alpha?
There is no nondisclosure agreement, and you are welcome to stream and make videos of your gameplay according to our content guidelines. We do ask that you make your viewers aware that the game is in a pre-release stage. Feel free to let your viewers know that we welcome their feedback as well!

orcinator

Liturgist
I quit before things got really bad since I finished the few research projects that were available and attempting to dig deeper was too much of a chore with the lack of space suits and buggy undiggable blocks everywhere (having much worse interface and QOL then even vanilla rimworld didn't help). Also had 0 stress for like two thirds of my run until the air started getting bad and the colonists had to interrupt their sleep to breathe.

Also, in regards to the aforementioned toilets, everything involving pipes seems too prone to depleting whatever resource it uses very quickly while the lower tech options proved actually reliable.

Last edited:

Norfleet

You interrupt sleep to breathe? My experience is that if someone can't breathe while asleep, they just die.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Game looks very promising. So far it's quite raw, you run out of algae and water super fast and then you are stuck in your little area surrounded by alien minerals and nasty gasses. I suppose it's just a taste of things to come. So far tasty.

Beastro

Arcane
I tried getting into DS but the tedium to staying alive was too much for me. I dont so much fault the game as the health issues I have atm, like Factorio was just too complex when this crap makes me so forgetful. Makes me wish there was a happy medium between them and the dumb as a brick survival games kicking around that require no thinking, atm the only one that stands out is Neo Scavenger.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
DS - despite the childy art style - is dark, brutal and difficult. I love that contrast. Cruel grimdark with a stick figure grin.

Anyway it's definitely one of the toughest games I've played. Can't imagine playing it without the wiki, even with my advanced skillz, let alone as a beginner. You'd need a shitload of trial and error, problem is in a rogue-like an error usually means losing your entire world that you've explored and build up by the sweat of your brow and starting from scratch.

Oxygen seems more lenient, you can even save and load at will.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Anyway it's definitely one of the toughest games I've played. Can't imagine playing it without the wiki, even with my advanced skillz, let alone as a beginner. You'd need a shitload of trial and error, problem is in a rogue-like an error usually means losing your entire world that you've explored and build up by the sweat of your brow and starting from scratch.

you can just back up your DS saves. so you only lose at most an in-game day of playtime.

Yeah I know :) But that's circumventing the rules, you might as well use console cheats, that's even easier.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I found DS pretty damned boring. It got very tedious, very quickly, and I really don't know why; autism therapy software usually sits well with me. It wasn't because of its complexity or learning curve, because I've mastered far more complex games.

Perhaps I should give it another try. The collect carrots, flowers, seeds, chop trees, build some tools, build a fire, build an invention thing, mine some stuff, etc. loop was nowhere near as entertaining as I'd usually expect from gathering/crafting type things.

I suspect I wasn't too fond of the hunger meter, either. I have no problem with time limits, hunger meters and so on, but if the fucking thing runs down literally every five minutes it's going to get obnoxious, fast. It's barely tolerable in Subnautica.

Balor

Arcane
Never cared for DS, but ONI clicked with me instantly. Basically, this is DF 'tunneling' part done RIGHT, even in raw alpha stage.
Toady should watch and learn, as they've learned from him, obviously. Tantrum spirals are SO DF - everyone is covered in vomit and destroying stuff.
Too bad they don't go around killing each other... yet? :)

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
I found DS pretty damned boring. It got very tedious, very quickly, and I really don't know why; autism therapy software usually sits well with me. It wasn't because of its complexity or learning curve, because I've mastered far more complex games.

A lot of DS is repetitive busywork, wish there'd been a way to at least partly automate things like farming and basic resource collection. There's nothing challenging about chopping down wood or planting down crops; it just takes too much time.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Like what? We had thread about complex games, and surprisingly we come with only few. Like DF.

I suspect I wasn't too fond of the hunger meter, either. I have no problem with time limits, hunger meters and so on, but if the fucking thing runs down literally every five minutes it's going to get obnoxious, fast.
Play dungeon crawl, original. The hunger would go down in few seconds, occasionally. A lot of time you'd be hungry, famishing, or starving.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
A lot of DS is repetitive busywork, wish there'd been a way to at least partly automate things like farming and basic resource collection. There's nothing challenging about chopping down wood or planting down crops; it just takes too much time.

That's kindda the point. Time is the most important resource in this game and time management a key skill. You can chop the wood manually (and initially you have no choice) but later you can lure a giant in the forest and have him level the entire forest for you - that'd be your wood-related needs taken care of for the next few years. Or you can build an Old Bell and have a Big Foot stomp on a forest. Same for mining rocks and minerals.

I found DS pretty damned boring.

I suspect I wasn't too fond of the hunger meter, either. I have no problem with time limits, hunger meters and so on, but if the fucking thing runs down literally every five minutes it's going to get obnoxious, fast. It's barely tolerable in Subnautica.

Have you played recently? The game is unrecognizable in its latest iteration from the austere torso we got on launch.

As for the hunger meter - well it is called Don't Starve after all. Your main goal is to procure nourishment wherever you can find it. Admittedly the most important part of the game is still the most unbalanced since you have a plethora of different recipes but only one or two really make sense effectivity-wise. With a very few exceptions there's no reason to cook or eat anything else than meatballs that are way too cheap, available and easy to make. I can assure you hunger in this game is ultimately the least of your problems.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom