Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Overwatch

I'll Devil's Advocate for a second and suggest that okay, what if women/LGBTBBQ individuals are harassed more than anyone else on the internet/in games? Frankly, it doesn't change the situation at all. Pointlessly aggressive toxicity is the problem, and it's something addressed holistically or not at all. You can limit direct communication, switch from matchmaking to servers and hope that server admins keep people from being dicks (I might be seeing the past through rose colored glasses, but I don't remember a lot of dicks on actively administrated servers back before matchmaking became the new craze), or have people working round the clock to check out every single person being reported for unseemly conduct. Anything less, and the anonymous online competition will get pretty insult-heavy pretty fast.

It's not about the LGBTWTFBBQ issues at all, it's about 'mommy he said something mean waaaah' - you said people don't fling insults around in Quake, are you serious? People have shit talked in competitive environments from the very beginning, and they'll use the shortest, most efficient way to insult you. If you get triggered by LGBTWTFBBQ MISOGYNIST shit, assholess will turn that shit up to 11. If you get triggered by someone calling you a nigger, they'll amp it to 11. If you get triggered by someone that says killing puppies is a good thing, they'll yell about murdering puppies.

My point is simple - shitheads shit talk online, there's a mute function, use it and shut the fuck up. Communication in games is vastly overrated anyway, and most games have an automated comms feature (chatwheel or equivalent) that covers essential games-related commands. If you want to talk about your fucking life in an online game that's on you.

But of course, muting someone would require taking some action and being somewhat secure in yourself, people just want to be validated when they complain and point fingers. Makes you wonder how these people even function in the real world.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Sticks and stones might break my bones but words are fucking hatespeech REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
VSbwDyk.jpg

Wulfstand

Prophet
Anyone here still playing? Just recently bought it, and have been rather lukewarm about the game until a few days ago when I started playing Tracer, since then I'm hooked.
Any 'dex group up?

draug

Novice
Couple friends and I still play a fair amount each week (East Coast). Haven't been playing competitive as much cause holidays, but that might change soon.

Wulfstand

Prophet
Couple friends and I still play a fair amount each week (East Coast). Haven't been playing competitive as much cause holidays, but that might change soon.
Well that sucks, as I'm playing on EU.
How hard/long does it take to climb up out of bronze/silver? Since I got into the game a few weeks ago I got to 1500 during s7 and to my surprise the new season's placement matches are just your previous season's +/- 50 points per game, so I got placed in silver again. It feels very discouraging to try your best when you play w/ people that only want to play their main dps, don't use mics, can barely aim and have very little positional awareness. Is it doable to rank up by one tricking Tracer for example?

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
It feels very discouraging to try your best when you play w/ people that only want to play their main dps, don't use mics, can barely aim and have very little positional awareness.
Don't do team competitive in any game without a premade group unless you want to get cancer.

draug

Novice
Well that sucks, as I'm playing on EU.
How hard/long does it take to climb up out of bronze/silver? Since I got into the game a few weeks ago I got to 1500 during s7 and to my surprise the new season's placement matches are just your previous season's +/- 50 points per game, so I got placed in silver again.

Your climb will vary depending on so, so many things. I used to play an obscene amount of TF2 (among other games) and haven't had much problem getting diamond/master every season. I've had friends who have been playing since the start and have played triple the amount of time I have (upwards of a thousand hours) yet still struggle to get out of gold. I've had other friends pick this up as their first FPS game and after the first couple seasons became a diamond level player. From my perspective it all just depends on your attitude towards the game and your willingness to LEARN it rather than just PLAY it.

It feels very discouraging to try your best when you play w/ people that only want to play their main dps, don't use mics, can barely aim and have very little positional awareness. Is it doable to rank up by one tricking Tracer for example?

If you're going to spend time solo queuing and trying to rank up you need to realize couple of things. First, you're going to have shitty games were it feels like your team mates are actually brainless and there is nothing you can do to win. Do your best to accept this. Ultimately, remember that your team mates are just as bad as your opponents and will make just as many mistakes. The best mindset to have (and I can't stress this enough) is to just focus on your own gameplay and try and point out the moments were you screw up. I hate to say it but SR is pretty damn accurate and even if you feel like you're higher than you should be, odds are that you're right were you belong.

Is it doable to rank up by one tricking Tracer for example?

Yup. But I would still advise learning a few other heroes. If you like playing dps maybe learn another character from that cast, but then also learn a tank or a healer so you have something to fall back on. I've never been a dps player, but from what I hear it tends to be a high contested roll, so you might want to even learn two heroes that aren't in the dps class.

Hope you have fun dude.

Wulfstand

Prophet
Hope you have fun dude.

I agree that I still belong in a low rank, up until a week ago (of the 3 i've spent playing) I wasn't even all that into the game. I was just disheartened to see that placement matches don't offer a clean slate, and rank you based on individual performance. I've been playing Mercy and Zarya/Winston/D.va almost exclusively during those matches.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
I agree that I still belong in a low rank, up until a week ago (of the 3 i've spent playing) I wasn't even all that into the game. I was just disheartened to see that placement matches don't offer a clean slate, and rank you based on individual performance. I've been playing Mercy and Zarya/Winston/D.va almost exclusively during those matches.
Dunno how comfortable I am with comp play (I'd probably feel bad if I dragged you down in a bad match), but if you're on EU, I can be up for some QP. Mostly play tanks and supports, too, so you can keep calm and Tracer on.

Wulfstand

Prophet
Dunno how comfortable I am with comp play (I'd probably feel bad if I dragged you down in a bad match), but if you're on EU, I can be up for some QP. Mostly play tanks and supports, too, so you can keep calm and Tracer on.
That’s cool, I’ve grown to enjoy playing a wider array of heroes, especially Zen, Orissa and Moira. If I do get to play dps in comp I usually go pharah/soldier.
I need to play more comp honestly, but they last far longer so I feel like I played 4 qp matches by the time I finish 2 comp games.
Pm me your btag snd we’ll play some games tuesdat night. I’m away from home till then.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Her waist is so tiny.

This is actually the first Overwatch character I could see myself playing. Her ability set is credit to team, though the lack of long-range attacks will probably bore the fuck out of some people.

(Also INB4 the SJW brigade gets offended because Blizzard added a white character to the game.)

Gerrard

Arcane
She's from Sweden in the future so her being white is questionable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom