Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Overwatch

abija

Prophet
It's pretty obvious from the decision to allow same hero multiple times in a team they plan to handle "balance" like fighting games do.
Probably with the bonus that most chars will be top tier when launched so people throw $$$ while it's hot.

The leak said 21 heroes for the 40 box, not sure if confirmed.

Confirmed not f2p, so there's that. Also from the wording, additional heroes aren't included in box price.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
$40 initial fee... then you have to buy all the heroes they add after that?

:hero:

Martius

Liturgist
Heroes, skins, portraits, colour variant and so on. You name it! I would love to be wrong but so far I lack hope for that.

ArchAngel

Arcane
RIP Overwatch. I rather buy CS:GO 4 times or play Quake Arena for free.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So they are going for the free-to-play model with skins, hats and other crap, and still wanting 60 euro for it? 60 euro!
Greedy fucks. Dlc, micro-transaction, I wonder what is next?

Tehdagah

Arcane
I blame consoles.

Btw more tumbrl pandering:

1446849201523.jpg

Old concept vs new:

1446851368231.png

SJWs will still complain that her face is too cute.

Last edited:

nil

Cipher
They can always go f2p later when the sales dry up, and give previous buyers a special tag or a skin to shut them up.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
b2p and f2p at the same time?

Bobby Kotick has managed to outjew himself
:salute:

Microtransactions in full-priced games is nothing new (see shit like Ass Creed Unity), Blizzard isn't capable of coming up with something original even when it comes to this, they're just following a trend set by other shit giant AAA developers (Ubishit, EA). Same shit happens in console AAA - see the latest Halo.

Their batshit retarded audience is going to lap it up, just like horse armour and DLC, and pretty soon it's going to be the norm. News at 11.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
WoW is a full-priced game with subscriptions and also has had micro-transactions for years. They aren't really stepping into risky new territory here.

That said, this game has such F2P look about it that I don't know how accepting of that people will be.

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The way they enumerate the number of heroes on the overwatch page (a big, bolded all caps "21 HEROES" as the first information they give you on the page about the game) makes me feel that they'll probably add more heroes later on that will require money just like any other MOBA. So basically, it's B2P with the addition of full on F2P-style monetization for future game updates, probably. Going to be fun when they do things like nerfing the B2P heroes or introducing an overpowered, new hero to the meta. A constant, guaranteed money stream, just like the one they get from hearthstone whenever they disrupt the meta and add new cards while never fixing/changing the old ones.

Martius

Liturgist
Since most MOBA are f2p then there is at least choice of spending time instead of money to unlock new heroes. Since Overwatch will be b2p I doubt that will be the case.

Last edited:

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Since most MOBA are f2p then there is at least choice of spending time instead of money to unlock new heroes. Since Overwatch will be b2p I doubt that will be the cae.

It's blizzard. They're the types who have the cojones to ask $25 for in game skins (store mounts) in a game that has a $15/month sub cost and requires buying a $50 expac every two years or so. Of course they'll keep asking for money after selling you the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom