Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Overgrowth, the vaporware bunny homicide simulator - no longer vaporware, too bad it sucks!

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've rarely seen combat in a game deserve the label "visceral" like this.

Although I loathe the rabbit-men, and the first time I was somehow linked to a video of this, I closed it immediately. I don't suppose there is a game with similar combat but without the weird protagonists?

MMXI said:
Black said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EjvtQdTHB0

Apart from the obvious flaw, the animations look nice. When looking at HAWKEN and this, it makes me wonder what the fuck are those "AAA" developers doing. Not to mention some other devs that can't even code in ladders.

The guy in the video said:
Different characters can also cast shadows on one another, which is useful for a game that focuses on close range combat.
Useful?

:retarded:

Probably because that way you can tell how close you really are, so you can use grappling effectively (assuming them hitboxes aren't fucked up). I dunno.

ElectricOtter

Overgrowth is pretty sweet. I would love that engine to be used for a action-RPG.

I been playing alpha 135 lately, the ledge climbing and grabbing looks very nice. The new blood effects are kickass, too. I can't wait to see what they will look like when they're finalized.

Phelot

Arcane
poocolator said:
What exactly is unique about the combat versus, say, Mount and Blade?

It looks like there are moves other than riding my horseback and slashing.

Speaking of M&B what are those bitches up to? All those expansions and fake sequels are stupid, when are they making #2?

Phelot

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Never. Like Bethesda, they realized they can rely on obsessed fans to mod their skeleton of a game into something else

And yet no one has created M&B cock ring nude mods with larger than head breasts thus keeping the game unplayable. :/

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Claw said:
I don't suppose there is a game with similar combat but without the weird protagonists?

Don't worry. Once Overgrowth is out of the door, Wolfire will use the same engine to make a WW2-themed first-person shooter named "Call of Brothers of Honor 1942: Medals and Arms of Duty on the Battlefield."

That should be right in your comfort zone.

MCA
Krash said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta5SYgh5kDw&feature=relmfu

Makes assassins creed movement seem choppy, very impressive. Just imagine a well fleshed out action RPG using this engine.

FFS, please try no to be so illiterate. This kind of stuff has nothing to do with engines. It's the fucking animations and assets.

MMXI

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Probably because that way you can tell how close you really are, so you can use grappling effectively (assuming them hitboxes aren't fucked up). I dunno.
Except in all those cases where your shadow isn't being cast towards your enemy, and your enemy's shadow isn't being cast towards you. And if there is time of day then shadows will shrink towards midday and grow towards the evening.

It's far less useful than it's made out to be. And honestly, the real reason he cares about the shadows is for graphical reasons, not reasons of usability on the player's part.

MetalCraze

Arcane
villain of the story said:
For speaking the truth?

Being the shit it is DA is still a finished game with something else but combat.

Here it's just a bunch of furries swinging weapons.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I got Lugaru through the humble bundle, but couldn't bring myself to play it. I do applaud people for working hard and creating something all on their own, and I take no offense at them trying to get the shadows right, even if it has only aesthetic reasons. Graphics can add to a game in many circumstances.

But there is just such a strange undertone with these games... As if the creator had a severe mutilation fetish. I don't know. It just disturbs me too much. That said, if I wrote dialog for a game myself, it would probably suffer from (different) undertones just the same. =/

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Jasede said:
I got Lugaru through the humble bundle, but couldn't bring myself to play it. I do applaud people for working hard and creating something all on their own, and I take no offense at them trying to get the shadows right, even if it has only aesthetic reasons. Graphics can add to a game in many circumstances.

But there is just such a strange undertone with these games... As if the creator had a severe mutilation fetish. I don't know. It just disturbs me too much. That said, if I wrote dialog for a game myself, it would probably suffer from (different) undertones just the same. =/

The true indie spirit. A labor of love.

ElectricOtter

MetalCraze said:
For speaking the truth?

Being the shit it is DA is still a finished game with something else but combat.

Wolfire said:
Overgrowth Alpha 135 changes

oh god i just responded to a skyway post

MetalCraze

Arcane
M&B and Minecraft never left Alpha either. And never will.

Alpha in indie speak = finished game.

Do you seriously believe indies are capable of doing a good game, not just making some mechanics that last for 2 hours and copy paste them for 20?

crakkie

Arcane
Their webcomic is reasonably cool.
http://www.wolfire.com/comic#2

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

MCA
MetalCraze said:
For speaking the truth?

About 100 or more people on a payroll where each individual aspect of the game has multiple people working on it, like system designers, texture artists, level designers and so on, as opposed to four guys doing everything themselves and doing a better job at what little they do on their own budget + whatever few purchases they get?

Yep, that's almost unfair to Bioware. Those poor guys.

MCA
MetalCraze said:
M&B and Minecraft never left Alpha either. And never will.

Alpha in indie speak = finished game.

Do you seriously believe indies are capable of doing a good game, not just making some mechanics that last for 2 hours and copy paste them for 20?

You mean "AAA games" aren't made up of mechanics (and utter SHIT! ones at that) worth maybe 20 minutes of gameplay, copy-pasted for 20 hours? Except with cutscenes, of course.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ulminati said:
Don't worry. Once Overgrowth is out of the door, Wolfire will use the same engine to make a WW2-themed first-person shooter named "Call of Brothers of Honor 1942: Medals and Arms of Duty on the Battlefield."

That should be right in your comfort zone.
That's cool, although I thought ppl used guns in WW2 so I see limited application for melee combat.
But then I may have missed some new developments in the gameplay of WW2 shooters since playing BF1942.

Also, is it possible you tried to looks smart by copying someone else's joke? You failed in any case kthxbye

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom