Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Overgrowth, the vaporware bunny homicide simulator - no longer vaporware, too bad it sucks!

Black

Arcane
https://overgrowth.wolfire.com

Apart from the obvious flaw, the animations look nice. When looking at HAWKEN and this, it makes me wonder what the fuck are those "AAA" developers doing. Not to mention some other devs that can't even code in ladders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Jewtube comments said:
Yeah, don't worry. All this "anthropomorphic rabbits performing freerunning and martial arts" stuff is just to test the tech. After Wolfire's polished the engine they're going to use it to make a WW2-themed first-person shooter named "Call of Brothers of Honor 1942: Medals and Arms of Duty on the Battlefield."

:D

This... actually looks like it could be sort of fun. Furries notwithstanding. I think I have lugaru lying about somewhere from an indie bundle, but I never got around trying it.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Should tell you something when this four man indie game with rabbits killing each other does combat gore and hit feedback about five thousand times better than the multi million budget DA games ever did.

And this is the first time I've outright approved of motion blur being used in a game. When the fuck will companies realise that making everything go blurry when I run or turn isn't the greatest way to show off how far ahead their game is with technology?

1eyedking

Erudite
sgc_meltdown said:
Should tell you something when this four man indie game with rabbits killing each other does combat gore and hit feedback about five thousand times better than the multi million budget DA games ever did.
Fucking this. THIS.

sgc_meltdown said:
And this is the first time I've outright approved of motion blur being used in a game. When the fuck will companies realise that making everything go blurry when I run or turn isn't the greatest way to show off how far ahead their game is with technology?

It's just a convenient way of inducing headaches. It certainly doesn't bear any resemblance to real life. The world doesn't go all blurry when I look around.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Well, it does, but not at the speed they start making it kick in. Whipping your head around 180 degrees in an eight of a second blurs your vision too much to see much of anything, and staring at the ground under you while riding in a car at 100 kph will render it a grey blur. Turning 90 degrees in half a second doesn't do fuck all, and neither does running.

MMXI

Arcane
Black said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EjvtQdTHB0

Apart from the obvious flaw, the animations look nice. When looking at HAWKEN and this, it makes me wonder what the fuck are those "AAA" developers doing. Not to mention some other devs that can't even code in ladders.

The guy in the video said:
Different characters can also cast shadows on one another, which is useful for a game that focuses on close range combat.
Useful?

:retarded:

Krash

Arcane

Makes assassins creed movement seem choppy, very impressive. Just imagine a well fleshed out action RPG using this engine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Looks fantastic, best combat feedback I've seen in a long time. Rabbits are cool by me so yeah, will keep my eye on this.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Someone should post a youtube doubler or something in the bioware forum.

You know, to see how the AAA+ does it better than the furry indies

:smug:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You guys didn't know about Overgrowth? Get with the times~

MetalCraze

Arcane
sgc_meltdown said:

Multimillion budget DA games aren't just rabbits swinging at each other on an empty plane.

circ

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
sgc_meltdown said:

Multimillion budget DA games aren't just rabbits swinging at each other on an empty plane.
No. They're badly animated, badly drawn and horribly textured pseudo-humans swinging their dicks on very sparsely decorated linear planes.

Phelot

Arcane
It does look impressive. At least the graphics look nice and clean and the combat looks fun, but the subject of rabbits... oh God, why?

Also:
THEY SHOULD TAKE THIS FUCKING NICE ENGINE AND MAKE A NEW TRY ON TRUE CRIME HONG KONG WITH THIS MARTIAL ARTS TECHNIQUE !!! PLEASE REMAKE THE TRUE CRIME HONG KONG ITS WILL BE THE BEST GAME FOR EVER !!! PARKOUR + MARTIAL ARTS WIILL BEE AWESOME

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Leading video game developer BioWare®, a division of Electronic Arts Inc. today announced details of the highly anticipated dark fantasy Role Playing Game Dragon Age™: Origins which will be featured as one of the premier video games at the 2008 E3 Media and Business Summit, July 15-17.

As the spiritual successor to BioWare’s Baldur’s Gate™, one of the most successful role-playing games in the industry, Dragon Age: Origins represents BioWare’s return to its roots, delivering a fusion of the best elements of existing fantasy works with stunning visuals, emotionally-driven narrative, heart-pounding combat, powerful magic abilities and credible digital actors. The spirit of classic RPGs comes of age, as Dragon Age: Origins features a dark and mature story and gameplay.

“We’re thrilled to be returning to BioWare’s fantasy roots, with Dragon Age: Origins representing the culmination of over a decade of experience,” said Ray Muzyka, co-General Manager and CEO, BioWare and Vice President, Electronic Arts. “Dragon Age: Origins is a dark heroic fantasy that doesn’t pull any punches. Our fans are in for the most emotionally intense gaming experience we’ve ever created, and we hope to surprise them with just how dark and gritty it gets!”

BioWare will be demonstrating some of the compelling features of Dragon Age: Origins behind closed doors at E3, including:

• Epic Party-Based Combat – Dragon Age: Origins will introduce an innovative, scalable combat system, as players face large-scale battles and use their party’s special abilities to destroy hoardes of enemies and massive creatures.
• Powerful Magic – Raining down awesome destruction on enemies is even more compelling as players apply “spell combos,” a way of combining together different spells to create emergent unique effects.
• Deep Customization – Players will develop their characters and gain powerful special abilities (spells, talents and skills) and discover ever-increasing weapons of destruction.
• Your Story, Your Way – With its emotionally compelling story, players choose with whom they wish to forge alliances or crush under their mighty fist, redefining the world with the choices they make and how they wield their power.
• Origin Stories – Players will select and play a unique prelude that provides the lens through which the player sees the world and how the world sees the player. The player’s choice of Origin will determine who they are and where they begin the adventure, as they play through a customized story opening that profoundly impacts the course of every adventure.

UfQtQ.jpg

QEacn.jpg

MMskB.jpg

XDmTC.jpg

gAYBk.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/BRP0Z.jpg

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The original Lugaru was kind of neat, but I could never really get around how fucking weird their furry fantasy world was, not to mention all the undertones that occasionally came out in some of the dialogue.

That said, this looks great and I'm pretty impressed with their use of effects for the purposes of enhancing gameplay, not for ZOMG BLING MAPPING

It's worth pointing out that professional developers of big-budget games don't have the same freedom of indies and modders. They can't just add whatever features they like, they have chains of command, they have official positions that require them to defer work to others, they have to put every single feature through the QA grinder no matter how simple it might be, they have to force themselves to fit within specific hardware constraints, security and licensing issues are major concerns, etc. All the process around game creation eats up a lot of time that could be spent on actually developing, and it simply comes with the territory.

MMXI said:
It aids in depth perception during melee combat.

I think you underestimate the perversity (?) of Jasedes wet dreams.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom