Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Over 900 Retro Arcade Games Are Free To Play On Internet Archive

kazgar

Arcane

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
For download.....
msdos_ANAL_-_The_Rectum_Adventure_2003.jpg

:what:

Released

Platform
DOS

Genre
Action

Perspective
Side-Scrolling

Theme
Sci-Fi / Futuristic

Description
ANAL: The Rectum Adventure is a textmode proof-of-concept inspired by R-Type and countless side-scrolling space shooters of its ilk. The game puts the player in control of a small triangular ship against a scrolling starfield and amidst a thronging swarm of stupid but dangerous green happy faces, which will cause the player to lose one life upon contact. The ship is equipped with infinite ammunition (fortunately, as there are similarly infinite amounts of enemies) and it can maneuvre around tight spots with the arrow keys if for whatever reason the player chooses to take a break from the itchy trigger finger. Points are awarded upon shooting enemies; there is no goal save achieving a high score, and then beating that score.

Eh, not as Codexian as I thought it would be......

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Abandonware my ass. The Internet Archive has apparently received a unique DMCA exemption from the US government:

The Internet Archive has created an archive of what it describes as "vintage software", as a way to preserve them.[11] The project advocated for an exemption from the United States Digital Millennium Copyright Act to permit them to bypass copy protection, which was approved in 2003 for a period of 3 years.[12] The exemption was renewed in 2006, and as of 27 October 2009, has been indefinitely extended pending further rulemakings.[13] The Archive does not offer this software for download, as the exemption is solely "for the purpose of preservation or archival reproduction of published digital works by a library or archive."[14] Nevertheless, in 2013 the Internet Archive began to provide antique games as browser-playable emulation via MESS, for instance the Atari 2600 game E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial.[15] On 23 December, 2014 the Internet Archive added via a DOSBox variant thousands of DOS video games.[16][17]

Last edited:

Black_Willow

Arcane
GOG is selling Quests for Glory, King's Quests, Ultimas, M&M games, Master of Orion and Master of Magic, so that page is p. much a warez site.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Bah. I have downloaded a god knows how many GBs archive of DOS games. Pretty much everything worthwile is in there. Dosbox runs DOSSHELL at the start, and everything works well. There's your internet dosbox archive.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
GOG is selling Quests for Glory, King's Quests, Ultimas, M&M games, Master of Orion and Master of Magic, so that page is p. much a warez site.

How is it warez if they are legally allowed to do it?

Fuck GOG anyway. What, legally free games hurting their business or what? So sad.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Nice. But what good are most of those browser emulations without the possibility to save and load your game? Or am I missing something?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Fuck GOG anyway. What, legally free games hurting their business or what? So sad.
But... but... DRM FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Anyway, MAME exists.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So if all this is is embedded MAME, just use MAME. Been around for ten years or so.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://ultimacodex.com/2015/01/play...-origin-systems-classics-in-your-browser-now/

Play Ultima 6, Savage Empire, and Other Origin Systems Classics In Your Browser Now
BY WTF DRAGON · JANUARY 6, 2015

I can only assume, by now, that many of you have heard about the Internet Archive’s massive library of MS-DOS games, some 2,400 titles in all that can all be played right there in your browser thanks to a DOSBox port called EM-DOSBox (which uses Emscripten to compile C++ to JavaScript). The game library is itself a wondrous thing to walk through…so many great (and not-so-great) titles of yesterdecade (and earlier!) are archived therein, and many happy memories attend them.

A number of Origin Systems games can be found in the collection, including Ultima 6 (evidently the full version), various Wing Commander titles (some apparently the full version, some evidently just demo versions), Knights of Legend, Windwalker (which I gather some of you are rather fond of), Crusader: No Remorse, and a demo version of Ultima 7.

And at least one Ultima fan project — Untima IX: Descension — has also been included in the library, which fact I find rather amusing. (Kudos to Manuel Masias for spotting that one.) I was even surprised to see NOMAD in the collection (it’s not an Origin game, but I rather enjoyed playing it back in my teenage years).

There may be other Origin games hidden away in the library; I found the ones I could, but there seems to be some inconsistency in terms of how creatorship of games is attributed: some games have “Origin Systems, Inc.” listed as their creator, whereas others have “Origin Systems” listed as their publisher. Very confusing, this.

As well, it should be noted that, because this is a web-based DOSBox instance these games are being played in, some (most? all?) of the games don’t allow the use of their save feature. This is certainly true of Ultima 6, as noted above. So, be mindful of that before diving in; you may not be able to resume your progress after closing the browser tab.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
They are legally allowed to crack games. Not sure if it allows to stream them them.

GOG actually allows to legally buy DRM-free long abandoned games. Abandonware isn't a legal term, so depending on copyright laws in your country, being caught with software downloaded from abandonware sites can get you in legal trouble whenever it was available to buy somewhere else or not.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
If they are "streaming" them, I figure they are allowed to do it. Archive.org is not piratebay.

GOG actually allows to legally buy DRM-free long abandoned games. Abandonware isn't a legal term, so depending on copyright laws in your country, being caught with software downloaded from abandonware sites can get you in legal trouble whenever it was available to buy somewhere else or not.

That's cool, but those games are not downloadable. And the fact that they're also available for sale somewhere is irrelevant, because archive.org didn't put them up as "abandonware".

It's amusing that people have problems with this, but GOG and dubious companies who just acquired licenses making money on games they had no involvement in is all fine.

And again, they were legally allowed to do it. If your country doesn't recognize that legislation and you're worried about it, don't play them. Do you also have issues with Netherlands for legalizing pot because you can't use it in your country?

Pretty cool site. Played Prehistorik 2 for few minutes (there is little message for people playing in "future", never knew that). I fail to see how this is any competition for GOG though. Sound is fucked up in every single game I tried (just tried DOS games though). Some games work very slowly, some even to to point of being unplayable like Deluxe Ski Jump. Games with mouse interface like Centurion can be annoying to play as well and of course no saving.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom