Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware OUYA: "A new kind of video game console"

Grimlorn

Arcane
The IPs and games developers create for OUYA belong to the developer right? OUYA doesn't get a cut or gets a smaller cut than the developer?

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
The IPs and games developers create for OUYA belong to the developer right? OUYA doesn't get a cut or gets a smaller cut than the developer?

It's Android, which is open source, so there's no real way for them to control what software the user runs on it (well, in a reasonable world, but Kwan EULAs and copyright disputes have proven that we should not count ourselves as living in such). Only thing they can get a cut of is sales in their own app store, same as with Google Play.

TLDR: The distribution network gets a cut, not the brand owner.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Someone needs to take Basic Gaming Development 101.
I don't see how I do. This situation sounds different to me. The way it sounded when I first heard about the Kickstarter way back is that developers keep ownership of what they create here. Giving developers a platform to create and release games on that publishers don't get to keep. Also cutting out publishers and giving developers an actual large percentage of the profit.

So if you're a developer with innovative ideas for a game, are you going to go work at a publisher and give them ownership of what you come up with there, or do you take a hit on budget and graphics and use your ideas for an IP you get to keep yourself?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Developers do not sell their IP's to get their game on a console. They pay them fees to put their game on a console system.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't see how I do. This situation sounds different to me. The way it sounded when I first heard about the Kickstarter way back is that developers keep ownership of what they create here. Giving developers a platform to create and release games on that publishers don't get to keep.

So if you're a developer with innovative ideas for a game, are you going to go work at a publisher and give them ownership of what you come up with there, or do you take a hit on budget and graphics and use your ideas for an IP you get to keep yourself?
Which is exactly how the iOS store, Steam store, Desura store, and Google App store already work.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I don't see how I do. This situation sounds different to me. The way it sounded when I first heard about the Kickstarter way back is that developers keep ownership of what they create here. Giving developers a platform to create and release games on that publishers don't get to keep.

Which is exactly how the iOS store, Steam store, Desura store, and Google App store already work.

The iOS Store doesn't work like the other three; it's impossible to legally install an application on iOS without using the Store. It's more like PSN and XBL in that sense.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

The iOS Store doesn't work like the other three; it's impossible to legally install an application on iOS without using the Store. It's more like PSN and XBL in that sense.
While that's true, from the perspective of selling something through the store, I don't think there are any major differences in how ip ownership works.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

While that's true, from the perspective of selling something through the store, I don't think there are any major differences in how ip ownership works.

You're right. Strictly speaking, publishers don't always get ownership of an IP either, depends on the contract. Still, one major difference, in terms of distribution, between closed systems like iOS and open ones like Android, is that the developer doesn't have to jump through arbitrary hoops devised by the platform owner. And while Apple appears to be quite reasonable about these things, we've heard many a horror story about Xbox360 certification, patches costing $20k to deploy, and so forth.

I think one of OUYA's selling points was that it wasn't supposed to have any such bullshit, hence why they marketed it as a "developer's console".

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

ouya_icon.png

Horrible flash minigame: THE CONSOLE!

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/4/4180242/ouya-review

Ouya isn't a viable gaming platform, or a good console, or even a nice TV interface.

No fucking shit.
A shocking development. Hipster crowd in denial already?

EDIT:
article said:
Even as iOS and Android have gotten better games, and better hardware to run those games, capital-G Gaming remains something done with a controller and a console, and something we do on our big-screen TV
:hmmm:

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
  • Too few games
  • Existing games aren't very good
  • Problematic, unfinished interface
  • Limited functionality
Sounds like every device Nintendo has released for the last ten years :troll:

AngryKobold

Arcane
http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/4/4180242/ouya-review

Ouya isn't a viable gaming platform, or a good console, or even a nice TV interface.

No fucking shit.

Indeed it is. Yet the niche for such devices exist and is open for competition: niche of matchbox- sized PCs with low power usage. Look at Rapsberry Pi and upcoming Intel Next Unit.

Industrial and office purposes aside, people actually buy it for home. Gadget to install Linux and emulators, I guess. I'd be happy to have Linux working on a matchbox. It's cool, isn't it? Like a refrigerator, but better. Anyway, Raspberry sucks at emulation, for the ARM6 700 mhz is anything but powerhouse. I read the peak of Dosbox emulation is 80286. It ain't even let for a full speed emulation of Amiga 1200.

CPU used in Ouya is a multicore Tegra 1,7 Ghz.

So there's a chance to get some popularity among "enthusiasts", only two issues remain. First, if it's moddable enough. Second, if it's worth this 99$. Hell, I don't know. 99 seashells is enough to buy a cheap laptop.

Wouldn't be surprised if it'll turn out to be a total business failure and then the producers end up hanging themselves in shame. Time will tell.

AngryKobold

Arcane
A killer app is coming. Gears of Wars of Ouya.

:troll:

Big plus for Elvis lizardfolk. Few games have things like this to show.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I hope this thing succeeds. Even if I don't care about playing the thing personally, the hate people have for this thing is unreasonable and contemptible to be honest.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I hope this thing succeeds. Even if I don't care about playing the thing personally, the hate people have for this thing is unreasonable and contemptible to be honest.

Hating consoles is always reasonable and commendable.

That said, I don't "hate" Ouya. The concept is just completely alien to my mentality—a watered-down operating system installed on watered-down hardware inside a little box, running cheap games and ports I either don't give a shit about or are already available on my computer/an emulator. I don't play games outside of my home, either, because when I'm away from home I'm either working, socializing, recreating, or engaging in some other activity that doesn't include video games. If I'm in an airliner (which I try not to be these days, since driving 16 hours is preferable to body scans, cavity searches, and having my mouthwash confiscated), I'll read a book. "Mobile gaming" isn't a factor for me.

On top of all this, the project just seemed wishy-washy to me from the beginning, cruising on pure hype and the ideals of people who make decisions based on emotions and their hopes and dreams rather than reality and practicality. I expected Ouya to fail and I still expect it to fail, but I won't gloat over it. I just won't care much either way. These few paragraphs are the most thought I've put into Ouya since its inception, only because I wanted to put my opinion into words.

Cassidy

Arcane
I wonder how much of the Kickstarter money was used for purchasing a second-hand Ferrari from Saudi Arabia.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Brian Fargo ‏@BrianFargo13h
We are soon submitting a final version of Bard's Tale on @playouya. It looks and plays great. Only format missing now is microwave oven.

Also:

http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/09/o...erkins-and-mayfield-delays-launch-to-june-25/

Ouya is just a kind on the block alongside the game consoles from Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony. But it’s graduating to a higher level today as the maker of the $99 Android game console is announcing that it has raised $15 million from the world famous venture capital firms Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers and Mayfield Fund.​

To better stock shelves in advance of its retail launch, Ouya is also delaying the retail release of its console by three weeks until June 25, said Julie Uhrman (pictured above), the chief executive of the San Francisco company, in an interview with GamesBeat. Bing Gordon, a partner at Kleiner Perkins and the former chief creative officer at Electronic Arts, is joining Ouya’s board.​

“This allows us to do more and get more units into retail quickly,” Uhrman said. “Our demand is already beyond expectations. That’s a great problem to have, but it leads to a need for cash.”​

It’s a pretty big leap to move from Kickstarter, the crowdfunding platform where Ouya raised a record $8.6 million last year, to partnering with a couple of Silicon Valley powerhouses. Kleiner Perkins has invested in more than 700 ventures (including Amazon, Electronic Arts, and Google), and its portfolio companies have held nearly 200 initial public offerings and created more than 375,000 jobs.​

Other investors include Nvidia, Shasta Ventures, and Occam Partners. Ouya’s plan is to disrupt the game console business. It plans to do so by using open-source software on inexpensive, Nvidia Tegra-based hardware that runs Android games from the mobile world that you can play on big-screen TVs in the living room with a game controller. Ouya has been shipping consoles to players who preordered the system since March.​

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom