Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Outcast: Second Contact - Outcast remake

DeepOcean

Arcane
http://www.outcastthegame.com

https://af.gog.com/game/outcast_second_contact?as=1649904300

"Yann Robert, Franck Sauer and Yves Grolet announced today that they have signed and closed an asset purchase agreement with Atari Europe SAS recently regarding Outcast intellectual property.
Yann, Franck and Yves, the three founders of Appeal S.A., the studio that developed Outcast, have started the revival of the franchise and will soon announce further developments."

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/prais...-be-revived-more-news-coming-later-this-year/

Boy, this cold be very interesting...

Last edited by a moderator:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
The original game was really fucking good. Aged poorly with the low-res voxel graphics, but the music and world exploration is :5/5:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
This is the second time Yves Grolet is trying to create a sequel to Outcast.

In 2011 he created a new company called Elsewhere Entertainment and in 2003 they released a tech demo. Unfortunately the company was closed soon after but at least we got some footage.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm on a mobile internet in the depths of woods and I do not have the two weeks it would take to buffer the video, so is there at least a chance at incline in that trailer?

DeepOcean

Arcane
Is it good news?

Since it'll probably be a linear-QTE-buttonofawesome-dramaticstory filled AAA schlock, no.

Nah, more probably will be a kickstarter or a HD version and both would be interesting (Outcast didn't aged well and the fan HD version isn't enough to really dramaticaly improve the graphics) . If this was a publisher initiative, the news would be : "Square Enix rape another old franchise." or something, unless they plan to pitch the project to a publisher and it would be just silly to waste money to revive Outcast that isn't a franchise that well known just to make another cinematic cover shooter. The question is if there is enough fans of Outcast because if it is a kickstarter, they will need a pretty good amount of kwan dollars.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm on a mobile internet in the depths of woods and I do not have the two weeks it would take to buffer the video, so is there at least a chance at incline in that trailer?

Both are concepts. The thrust of which seem to be: Outcast but prettier.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

In 2011 he created a new company called Elsewhere Entertainment and in 2003 they released a tech demo. Unfortunately the company was closed soon after but at least we got some footage.

Elsewhere was acquired and renamed 10Tacle Studios Belgium which worked until 2008 on Totems. Then the publisher went bancrupt and with it all 10Tacle studios.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Not really, they are old clips.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Elsewhere was acquired and renamed 10Tacle Studios Belgium which worked until 2008 on Totems. Then the publisher went bancrupt and with it all 10Tacle studios.

Nice video. I knew about Totems but I never saw this clip. Thanks.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
They should help the modders of dat Outcast mod for Crysis

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This should be good, I get the impression the original devs really love their game. And they should, as it was awesome.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I was glancing through this thread honestly thinking to myself - "those videos don't look like Jedi Outcast at all. Well, I don't care, JA was better anyway."

Oh, you mean THAT Outcast. Sure, do something with it. Make it playable for example. Even gog version kept fucking around with me so I stopped playing as soon as I came out of the first hut.

I believe it's good, maybe this will be the chance for me to find out.

kaizoku

Arcane
ULUKAI IS BACK!?

tumblr_lnhl68teTg1qfs2j3.jpg

Mixed feelings about this.

Outcast was a great game for its time. With a hell of a memorable soundtrack too.
What I'm really wondering is, what can the original devs do at this time?
What will they be able to bring in terms of gameplay?

So many has changed and many other games have come forward, on one end you have things like Assassin's Creed (which basically was what that Totems gameplay demo showed), on the other you have exploration games like Ico and Colossus.
And I doubt the Outcast brand is able to bring a significant crowd.

If anything I do hope they make for the chance to work with the Open Outcast crowd http://www.openoutcast.org/wp/gallery/videos/
Those are their biggest fans.

inb4 failed KS

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Since they've acquired all Outcast assets, does that also mean they got the Outcast 2 assets, including source code? They should KS that and finish it.

And fuck you Infogrames/Atari to let Appeal go bancrupt in the first place.

MasPingon

Arcane
ULUKAI IS BACK!?

tumblr_lnhl68teTg1qfs2j3.jpg

Mixed feelings about this.

Outcast was a great game for its time.

Yeah, so many incredible tpp action adventure games came out since 1999, like um... Gothic and umm.. Gothic 2. There was also that Gothic 2:NotR game. There wasn't one game in 14 years better then Outcast in it's genre, so leave quotes like "it was great game for it's time" for journalists

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
6-7 years ago, I would've been ecstatic. But I sincerely doubt a worthy successor is possible in this day and age. If it get released at all, it'll be a console shooter with chest high walls, tiny outdoor levels and linear corridors for the rest. :(

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Finally, the only good Belgian developer returns.

Outcast was a fucking brilliant game. Let's hope they do it justice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom