Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Outcast: Second Contact - Outcast remake

kaizoku

Arcane
tumblr_l0lxskyHJV1qzma4ho1_500.jpg

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, so many incredible tpp action adventure games came out since 1999, like um... Gothic and umm.. Gothic 2. There was also that Gothic 2:NotR game. There wasn't one game in 14 years better then Outcast in it's genre, so leave quotes like "it was great game for it's time" for journalists

I woudn't say that the Gothics are similar to outcast, but Outcast is definitely a great game with unique atmosphere that hasn't lost any of its charm. I replayed Outcast recently and had a blast. Judging from that Totem demo, it seems the devs still got it, I really hope they'll make a new outcast game.

Also for anyone who wasn't aware there's a patch to play outcast in 1280x1024 resolution: http://www.openoutcast.org/board/viewtopic.php?p=20487 those voxels look pretty sweet in high res.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I always have that strange, weird fascination about cancelled games. It feels like an alternate universe that "could have been". Even if it sucks, the sheer fact that there exists some data somewhere allowing me to explore that universe somehow, and that it will never be unveiled and showed to the general public disappoints me in great ways. I am still in tears over Earthbound 64, Van Buren, Project Jefferson, the Sam & Max Lucas Arts game and fucking Shenmue 3.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
I always have that strange, weird fascination about cancelled games. It feels like an alternate universe that "could have been". Even if it sucks, the sheer fact that there exists some data somewhere allowing me to explore that universe somehow, and that it will never be unveiled and showed to the general public disappoints me in great ways. I am still in tears over Earthbound 64, Van Buren, Project Jefferson, the Sam & Max Lucas Arts game and fucking Shenmue 3.
Maybe Stalker Alpha will see a light in the end of tunnel

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
This is the second time Yves Grolet is trying to create a sequel to Outcast.

In 2011 he created a new company called Elsewhere Entertainment and in 2003 they released a tech demo. Unfortunately the company was closed soon after but at least we got some footage.
Remember that time in history when games actually had real-time lighting and shadowing, and finally PC graphics were really starting to look impressive... and then it was all replaced with ugly low-res baked-in lightmaps because consoles couldn't handle it for the next 10 years?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
This is the second time Yves Grolet is trying to create a sequel to Outcast.

In 2011 he created a new company called Elsewhere Entertainment and in 2003 they released a tech demo. Unfortunately the company was closed soon after but at least we got some footage.
Remember that time in history when games actually had real-time lighting and shadowing, and finally PC graphics were really starting to look impressive... and then it was all replaced with ugly low-res baked-in lightmaps because consoles couldn't handle it for the next 10 years?

Yes :)

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The Outcast IP put things in motion. Not many but still.
Outcast developers form new console studio

New Belgium-based firm working on series reboot

Development veterans behind the original Outcast IP have opened a new console-focused studio in Belgium.
Called Daoka, the developer is formed from AMA Studios S.A., which has worked on titles such as Fighters Uncaged and My Personal Self Defense Coach, and Belgian outfit Appeal S.A., staffed by Outcast creators Yann Robert, Yves Grolet and Franck Sauer.
The studio said it has been working on its debut title for next-gen consoles, based on the Outcast IP recently acquired from Atari, for the last two years.
First released in 1999 for PC, Outcast was a sci-fi action adventure game developed by Appeal S.A., in which the world is under threat from a black hole.

zwanzig_zwoelf

The Outcast IP put things in motion. Not many but still.
Outcast developers form new console studio

New Belgium-based firm working on series reboot

Development veterans behind the original Outcast IP have opened a new console-focused studio in Belgium.
Called Daoka, the developer is formed from AMA Studios S.A., which has worked on titles such as Fighters Uncaged and My Personal Self Defense Coach, and Belgian outfit Appeal S.A., staffed by Outcast creators Yann Robert, Yves Grolet and Franck Sauer.
The studio said it has been working on its debut title for next-gen consoles, based on the Outcast IP recently acquired from Atari, for the last two years.
First released in 1999 for PC, Outcast was a sci-fi action adventure game developed by Appeal S.A., in which the world is under threat from a black hole.

Let's hope that it won't turn out to be cuntsole-exclusive.

Heresiarch

Prophet
I'm still doing the first "area" (the one with a lot of farmer planting rice), and I've noticed something...is the game consisting only of outdoor areas (with a few houses mixed in)? No big structures, only running in the wild? I may have been spoiled by other open world games :/

:Flash:

Arcane
Let me get this straight: They (most likely AMA, who had nothing to do with Outcast) have been developing this game for two years, but acquiring the Outcast license only became possible recently with the demise of Atari.
In before generic console game with Outcast license slapped on it.

:Flash:

Arcane
I'm still doing the first "area" (the one with a lot of farmer planting rice), and I've noticed something...is the game consisting only of outdoor areas (with a few houses mixed in)? No big structures, only running in the wild? I may have been spoiled by other open world games :/
One area is a large city including a castle. Still the architecture is quite simplistic, no labyrinthine buildings. I actually like it the way it is.

MasPingon

Arcane
I didn't even notice that.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I think there is a confusion in that original article. Here is one from gamestar.de

Die besagte Firma trägt den Namen Daoka und arbeitet bereits seit zwei Jahren an einem Spiel für NextGen-Plattformen, das in der näheren Zukunft erscheinen soll.

The said company is named Daoka and for two years is working on a game for next-gen platforms, which will be released in the near future.

They are working on a next-gen game, but that is not Outcast! To be honest, you must be a cretin to develop a game for which you don't have the IP rights. The first article doesn't make sense.

944x531.jpg

zwanzig_zwoelf

What a gigantic... shot. What a small character. Gigantomania at it's best.

zwanzig_zwoelf

inb4
Andhaira said:
:bounce: or :decline:

Which is most likely and why? Diskuss!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom