Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Osiris New Dawn, Ark and Rust in SPAAAAAAAACE - new top seller on Steam

Beowulf

Arcane
Ok, the Shai-Hulud shot was nice.
But it's a fucking MMO. And I bet it will be grindy as fuck.

Fuck.

Elim

Augur
Project: Eternity
And it shows again that people do have absolutely no common sense or ability to learn.

Another generic sci-fi/sandbox/survival/crafting game? We got thousands of them. Not one finished.

DramaticPopcorn

At this point, I believe that people who CONSISTENTLY buy into sandbox Early Access titles are masochist, deriving pleasure from paying for beta tests.
Blaine

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
At this point, I believe that people who CONSISTENTLY buy into sandbox Early Access titles are masochist, deriving pleasure from paying for beta tests.
Blaine

Aside from the fact that I've only bought into a couple of them, I also play online with several friends and have gotten many hours of entertainment from the better sandbox titles we've picked up. The desire to find additional configurable playgrounds in which to play with friends is a major driving factor.

We got about 60-70 hours out of Empyrion, for example; it was quite fun and I certainly recommend it, but lacking in enemy variety later on, and they need some automated machines for mining metals et al. for the construction of larger ships. What's there works and is quite solid.

ARK is a very good dinosaur-taming game brought down by two things: The inevitable annoyance of dominant tribes on official servers trashing the little guy's progress and taking all of his stuff, typically after he's logged out (easily solved by running a private server, which I do), and Wildcard's recent shitty and underhanded decision to sell a $20 DLC during Early Access. I've left my share of comments in the review section condemning them for this.

Factorio is the best of them all by far, highly recommended.

No one in this thread seem to know what an MMO actually is. It seems to have become a vague term of insult for any game that features an online component or co-op/PvP.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Working on one of these at Funcom too (though Conan so not sci-fi...)

The massive influx of this type of game is due to the incredible business case that they make - even the SHIT ones have sold hundreds of thousands of copies.
It's an easy choice for our company as well - we have a lot of experience with MMOs, we've done a lot of the server side stuff before etc. It's also a low bar genre - you aren't competing with massive AAA budgets in this space (well Ark has that now, but they have defined their game already).

These games aren't MMOs, but they are the new shape of MMOs. PvP in MMOs has pretty much become MOBAs and their ilk, Crafting/guilds/RP have moved to the survival genre and story folks can get their fix elsewhere (and have never really gotten it entirely from MMOs). The key advantage these games have is the amount of control players have over the server setup. They aren't reliant on developer decisions or GMs to make permadeath servers or enforce RP standards. Which is why I think the genre is incredibly successful as well.

For now, MMOs have split into these disparate parts because the budget requirements for building MMOs require either SWTOR amounts of investment or Black Desert amounts of Koreans. Who can afford to make MMOs anymore?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
The last playable sandbox MMOs were Star Wars Galaxies and EVE Online, both released in 2003. EVE Online is arguably the most successful sandbox MMO; for about a decade, its subscriber count climbed steadily, and only recently has it begun to decline. SWG tried to reinvent itself to be more like WoW very soon after its release, lost most of its playerbase, and then was shut down in 2011 in advance of The Old Republic's release. UO made similar mistakes with Trammel et al., although in UO's case, competition from Everquest and subsequent 3D MMOs was also a major factor. Although it's still running, it is, as the British say, gutted.

Anyway, it's hard to say why MMOs are such a raw deal to try to develop these days, but I think it's a combination of 1.) most developers being pretty incompetent at it; 2.) competition from WoW and a few other decently-sized games; 3.) trying to copy WoW; and 4.) players have simply moved on from the tropes and annoyances they were once willing to accept, such as spending a week of evenings camping a field boss spawn for a fractional chance to obtain a magic item.

I'm done with the genre, at least the traditional, recognizably "MMORPG" portion of it. I started playing EVE right after I separated from the Air Force in 2007, played until 2012 with a few hiatuses thrown in for good measure, and consider myself fairly lucky that I was able to have those experiences.

Running a dedicated private server and playing sandbox games with a few friends is the next best thing, but they don't grow on trees, despite cropping up everywhere lately.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
So is it any good? Wanting to add something to the collection and Subnautica's already gotten a bit old after 70 odd hours.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Depends on what you are looking for. I got bored right away, it's basically Subnautica without the exploring. You collect resources and build stupid stuff.

Burning Bridges

Well actually .. I can give a definite thumbs up. It's pretty good, if not (potentially) great.

First the bad: apparently the current version is still buggy. No problems for me in 4 hours - no crashes or anything - but people report that their shit disappears and such, which I am sure can be a show stopper. I have no complaints at all but I know it can strike any time.

But the good: Completely open world game with tons to do and not hectic, giving me time to take in the really spectacular graphics. Rather realistic - though not NASA realistic - the world makes a lot of sense to me, and I am very difficult to please. Instead of a generic MMO in space shit they actually went with a world and story that is reminiscent of Dune and Planet of Apes, and a lot of ideas that fit. There is combat but it's not in the way of enjoying the game.

I dont wonna spoil too much, but it is really a lot of fun to explore the world and the openness is amazing. In the beginning exploring has to be done entirely by foot so if you are averse to games with walking this may not be for you. I can either play single player which feels a bit lonely in the long run but also launch a private server ingame and invite people to PvE or PvP. I really like that mode as I am turned off by public servers. The PvE sets out like a LAN coop game where you crash landed like in Planet of Apes and must find a way to survive together or alone. PvP is possible but tbh makes no sense to me at all in this game.

I have seen screenshots and videos of a beta with other moons and planets, so it looks like they dont want to leave it at this Dune-like desert moon. That would be awesome as I think the most fun is discovering and this lends itself to a game with infinitely many more worlds.

Synopsis: Subnautica on land. Technically I am very impressed. No popping in or anything like in Subnautica, very good viewing distances (I often could make out my base on the horizon), game runs smooth as silk and on top you have Multiplayer. Even if it is still buggy, I can see how this kind of ambition leads to bugs, so I give them leeway. I would love if this game succeeds.

osirisnewdawn2017-09-2723-03-4.jpg

osirisnewdawn2017-09-2723-06-2.jpg

osirisnewdawn2017-09-2723-02-0.jpg

osirisnewdawn2017-09-2722-32-4.jpg

Burning Bridges

I can't even remember much. But one of the last bastions of thruth on the internet is my game recommendations.
I would never recommend my fellow gamers something that is not totally awesome.

Burning Bridges

Does that make them any less shit?

My screenshots usually just emerge because I fell asleep on the keyboard, which strangely didn't prevent some people from rating them up.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Does that make them any less shit?

Yeah, it saves them as lossless PNGs to a folder you designate. Compare:

999fed0a9b.png

Anyway, the game is on sale, so as can clearly be seen I bought it for a trial run. It's interesting, if a bit janky performance-wise as all sandbox survival games with good graphics tend to be (ARK, Empyrion, etc.). It's very tolerable jank. It's not down to my specs; I have a 1080 Ti, an i7, and 16GB DDR4. Then again, I also have a 144Hz G-Sync monitor and I don't think Osiris actually has a true fullscreen mode, only windowed fullscreen. G-Sync works best in fullscreen because Nvidia is incompetent, so I'll need to look into setting the game to run in true fullscreen.

As for the game itself, I'm still figuring shit out. I'm somewhat dubious about the rate at which skill points are gained, and I almost got killed by crab monsters who are immune to my laser pistol and very persistent, but other than that I'll need more time to really make an assessment. I'm pleased that the food and water levels don't plummet at a breakneck pace so that you have to cram piles of sustenance into your cakehole every five minutes, as is the case in, for example, Subnautica and Don't Starve (I think Subnautica toned theirs down a tad, was much more tolerable last I checked).

I do like the game's aesthetics. They have that dusty, worn, realistic, utilitarian and sparse look that I love. On the other hand, the creatures tend to move awkwardly and jerkily, but that's par for the course in a game like this. Some of the contextual and menu noises are a bit over the top, but suitably hard sci-fi.

Burning Bridges

If you read my review, the balance is currently dumbed down and more of a Zen like demo. I think I died only a single time and that was the frst time I encountered the sand worm.

But I have none of thise perfomance issues, it runs very good on my computer, with the solie exception of public multiplayer which runs pure shit. The other modes are not affected.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
It's almost certainly because the game is running in a borderless window/windowed fullscreen. G-Sync doesn't really function properly at the moment unless a game supports true fullscreen; I have to turn the "G-Sync in windowed mode" setting off.

I know it's running in borderless because when I press the Windows key, the taskbar instantly and smoothly appears. Dead giveaway.

I searched Duck Duck Go and the Steam forums, and from the looks of things the game may never have true fullscreen. Real shame, although this is an issue that affects a relatively small proportion of players, and is partly on Nvidia.

Burning Bridges

What the fug is G.Sync and why is it so important

Turn the game fullscreen like all of us. I run 2240x1400 with 60 fps and have nothing to complain about.

Especially it is nothing like Subnautica where the world constantly pops on and off directly in front of my eyes. I can see for over a kilometer and it is crisp as fukk

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I already did set it to fullscreen. I even checked the settings in the Windows registry. The only type of fullscreen Osiris supports is borderless/windowed fullscreen, which in actuality is just a perfectly-aligned window, and not fullscreen at all. It's fine; it's just a little bit jittery when moving the viewport. However, I do hope the developers implement true fullscreen.

I don't really understand how G-Sync works, but I know it uses a module and a DisplayPort cable that together allow a compatible Nvidia GPU and a compatible monitor to synchronize frames directly. Or as Wikipedia puts it:

G-Sync eliminates screen tearing by forcing a video display to adapt to the framerate of the outputting device rather than the other way around, which could traditionally be refreshed halfway through the process of a frame being output by the device, resulting in two or more frames being shown at once.[2] In order for a device to use G-Sync, it must contain a proprietary G-Sync module sold by Nvidia.

Now, what v-sync does is nothing compared to what G-Sync does. It's like comparing a Band-Aid to a trauma surgeon. V-sync kinda-sorta synchronizes frames pretty well, at the expense of a performance hit.

G-Sync utterly and totally eliminates even the tiniest hint of screen tearing, without any of the side-effects v-sync can have, and with 0 performance hit. This must be seen to be believed. It's as visually smooth as turning your head in real life, and frankly actually seems smoother.

Crispy basically has the same monitor, he can confirm.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hmmm, haven't checked this out in a while.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom