Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Original Fallout Trilogy receives Bethesda update on Steam!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Splash screen before launching the game:

jolB7lH.png

No, they did NOT remove "Brian Fargo Presents" or the Interplay logo.

Here's what the readme says:

FALLOUT: A Post-Nuclear Role-Playing Game

Readme File - Updated June 2014

TABLE OF CONTENTS

1. About this release

2. Enabling high resolutions

3. Cloud Saving with Steam

4. Manual

5. Copyright information

6. License

ABOUT THIS RELEASE

This Bethesda Softworks release of Fallout 1 contains the original Interplay 1.2 White Label version of the game. To maximize compatibility on modern systems, we have included the Fallout 1 High Resolution Patch version 4.1.8 by “Mash” Matt Wells.

ENABLING HIGH RESOLUTIONS

Because we recognize that many of you may not want to use the high-resolutions enabled by this patch, you may choose to play the game in its original form by selecting “Play Classic Version” when launching from Steam.

To increase the resolution:

From the title screen, click on “Options”:

Then in from the pop-up, click the button labeled “screen settings”:

From here you can choose any resolution supported by your computer’s video card, or even a custom resolution if you like.

For more information on video options enabled by the High Resolution patch, refer to the f1_res_README.rtf included in your Fallout installation directory.

CLOUD SAVING WITH STEAM

As part of this re-release of the game, we have enabled Cloud Synchronization through Steam. Save games created by Fallout will automatically be uploaded to Steam’s servers when you exit. Logging in with your Steam account on another machine will sync those save games automatically.

There are some quirks to this system, however. Fallout saves games within the install directory. This means that multiple Steam logins on the same PC will access the same save files. If you need to back up your save games, you can find them in your [installdir]\DATA\SAVEGAME\ directory.

If you need to disable Cloud Synchronization, open the Steam client and right click on the game in your library. Select “Properties” and then click the “Updates” tab. Un-check the “Enable Cloud Synchronization” box on the bottom of this tab.

To re-enable it, just click the check box again.

MANUAL

A PDF version of the original Fallout manual is contained in the Manual directory of your installation. Please refer to the Readme.txt file for changes made to the manual since the original release.

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

©2014 Bethesda Softworks LLC, a ZeniMax Media company. Bethesda, Bethesda Softworks, ZeniMax and related logos are registered trademarks or trademarks of ZeniMax Media Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. Fallout and related logos are registered trademarks or trademarks of Bethesda Softworks LLC in the U.S. and/or other countries. Other trademarks and logos belong to their respective owners. All Rights Reserved.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sduibek this is relevant to your interests

Here's Fallout 2:

Lq1x5fF.png

FALLOUT 2

TABLE OF CONTENTS

1. About this release

2. Enabling high resolutions

3. Cloud Saving with Steam

4. Manual

5. Copyright information

6. License

ABOUT THIS RELEASE

This Bethesda Softworks release of Fallout 2 contains the original Interplay 1.02 version of the game. This release has been pre-patched with sfall version 2.19a and the Fallout 2 high resolution patch version 4.1.8.

ENABLING HIGH RESOLUTIONS

Because we recognize that many of you may not want to use the high-resolutions enabled by this patch, you may choose to play the game in its original form by selecting “Play Classic Version” when launching from Steam.

To increase the resolution:

From the title screen, click on “Options”:

Then in the top part of the options screen, click the button labeled “screen settings”:

From here you can choose any resolution supported by your computer’s video card, or even a custom resolution if you like.

For more information on video options enabled by the High Resolution patch, refer to the f2_res_README.rtf included in your Fallout 2 installation directory.

CLOUD SAVING WITH STEAM

As part of this re-release of the game, we have enabled Cloud Synchronization through Steam. Save games created by Fallout 2 will automatically be uploaded to Steam’s servers when you exit. Logging in with your Steam account on another machine will sync those save games automatically.

There are some quirks to this system, however. Fallout 2 saves games within the install directory. This means that multiple Steam logins on the same PC will access the same save files. If you need to back up your save games, you can find them in your [installdir]\DATA\SAVEGAME\ directory.

If you need to disable Cloud Synchronization, open the Steam client and right click on the game in your library. Select “Properties” and then click the “Updates” tab. Un-check the “Enable Cloud Synchronization” box on the bottom of this tab.

MANUAL

A PDF version of the original Fallout 2 manual is contained in the Manual directory of your installation.

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

©2014 Bethesda Softworks LLC, a ZeniMax Media company. Bethesda, Bethesda Softworks, ZeniMax and related logos are registered trademarks or trademarks of ZeniMax Media Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. Fallout and related logos are registered trademarks or trademarks of Bethesda Softworks LLC in the U.S. and/or other countries. Other trademarks and logos belong to their respective owners. All Rights Reserved.

and Fallout Tactics (whose splash screen is titled "Fallout 2" also, oops):

w1JEarJ.png

FALLOUT TACTICS: Brotherhood of Steel

TABLE OF CONTENTS

1. About this release

2. Cloud Saving with Steam

3. Manual

4. Copyright information

5. License

ABOUT THIS RELEASE

This Bethesda Softworks release of Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel is identical to Interplay's 1.27 release of the game.

CLOUD SAVING WITH STEAM

As part of this re-release of the game, we have enabled Cloud Synchronization through Steam. Save games created by Fallout Tactics will automatically be uploaded to Steam’s servers when you exit. Logging in with your Steam account on another machine will sync those save games automatically.

There are some quirks to this system, however. Fallout Tactics saves games within the install directory. This means that multiple Steam logins on the same PC will access the same save files. If you need to back up your save games, you can find them in your [installdir]\CORE\USER\ directory.

MANUAL

A PDF version of the original Fallout Tactics manual is contained in the Manual directory of your installation.

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
The rape has reached the final stage and the butt is bleeding abundantly.

Once standing proud now bowing to the barbarians. The fates are merciless.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
The rape has reached the final stage and the butt is bleeding abundantly.

Once standing proud now bowing to the barbarians. The fates are merciless.

These do actually seem to be better than the Herve editions, though. No Killap patch theft.

They should have included Mash's hi-res patch for FO:T also, though.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I actually don't mind this at all. Sometimes getting the older games to work can be a monumental pain in the ass. If there is a painless way to play them without having to fuck around with DOSBox or creating custom resolutions or not having to deal with stupid bugs (for example, getting them to work when you have a dual monitor setup) then I say go for it. This isn't a reason for me to buy them all over again, but I can see the appeal for people who want to play them and don't want to fuck around with downloading and installing texture packs and workarounds.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I actually don't mind this at all. Sometimes getting the older games to work can be a monumental pain in the ass. If there is a painless way to play them without having to fuck around with DOSBox or creating custom resolutions or not having to deal with stupid bugs (for example, getting them to work when you have a dual monitor setup) then I say go for it. This isn't a reason for me to buy them all over again, but I can see the appeal for people who want to play them and don't want to fuck around with downloading and installing texture packs and workarounds.
Umm, they were already working and on steam and gog. Bethesda took them down until they made their changes.

Paul_cz

Arcane
At least they are available again. Hopefully they will appear on GOG too. And including high-res patch is cool.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
At least they are available again. Hopefully they will appear on GOG too. And including high-res patch is cool.

They're actually NOT available yet as far as I can tell from people who don't own them on Steam. But this is a sign they will be re-released on Steam again very soon. Perhaps tomorrow, for the sale.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Umm, they were already working and on steam and gog. Bethesda took them down until they added their copyright.

Fixed.

Oh and they also changed the main menu font and buttons because lol
Plus no more shift+credits either I guess because lolol

You know what, fujck this shit the answer lies at the bottom of the bottle

Durwyn

Prophet
I'm not even butthurt anymore. Time moves on, there are other franchises to look forward to and I still can cherish the old FO (unless they'll decide to go full derp and do "true" HD remakes) plus whatever Obsidian spits out in collaboration with Bethesda.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Umm, they were already working and on steam and gog. Bethesda took them down until they added their copyright.

Fixed.

Oh and they also changed the main menu font and buttons because lol
Plus no more shift+credits either I guess because lolol

You know what, fujck this shit the answer lies at the bottom of the bottle

They did? Let me repeat that the image in the OP is not the main menu of the game - it's a splash screen that you see before launching the game.

I'm seeing a main menu that's identical to this: http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/fallout/screenshots/gameShotId,324784/

Last edited:

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Umm, they were already working and on steam and gog. Bethesda took them down until they made their changes.

What do you mean, "they were already working"? I have the GoG versions and I had to do quite a bit of post-installation bullshitting to get them to run. I was downloading resolution packs and whatnot. And I still had issues getting it to run on a dual screen setup, since apparently two monitors was fucking up the resolution.

I didn't download them off steam, but I suspect the same thing was true -- I would have had to go hunting for XYZ and started installing shit to get the best experience. Am I wrong?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Well, that was quick: http://www.bethblog.com/2014/06/18/fallout-classics-return-to-steam/

Fallout Classics Return to Steam

Your favorite Fallout Classics are back. Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics are now available for purchase on Steam individually for $9.99 or in the Fallout Classics pack for $19.99.

Some details to note:

• All three games have Steam Cloud enabled for save games.
  • Fallout 1 & Fallout 2 can be launched in either default or classic versions. Default allows for high resolutions and Classic is the original, unmodified release.
  • Fallout Tactics is unmodified. Multiplayer works with direct connect.
  • While Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 can run on Windows 8, Fallout Tactics is not Windows 8 compatible.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I don't get the big deal, it's not like they've rewritten the credits just the copyright/license information. And, yes, Bethesda owns the franchise. Steam Cloud is kind of funny since even New Vegas doesn't use it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom