Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Opinions on companions

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Thought I'd make some sort of opinionated list of the companions I've encountered so far:

Marcus: Really good, solid companion.
The three shitstain workers you can take with you to kill ants: They're all pretty much shit. Don't be sad if they're all dead by the time you leave the first area.
Hieron: Pretty much a crafting mule. Use him and then dump him.
Ismail: This guy is really good. Powergamed 4 charisma, high alchemy and great combat skills. Worth risking your life for.

That's all I've seen so far, with a 6 cha character.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Marcus is indeed awesome. The three people around the fire do have shit constitution, but otherwise Silas is doing okay as a two handed spear weilder.

What confuses me about those initial people is, why do they help you kill Barca? I attacked barca pre-ant queen and killed him with the help of Marcus and Cyrus, both of whom work for Barca.

Anyway, I got everyone but Sila and Hieron killed. Hieron is not the worst maceman, but constitution is a big problem. That hand crossbow is really helpful, though.

Hope they add lots of character specific party dialogue later.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Marcus is indeed awesome. The three people around the fire do have shit constitution, but otherwise Silas is doing okay as a two handed spear weilder.

What confuses me about those initial people is, why do they help you kill Barca? I attacked barca pre-ant queen and killed him with the help of Marcus and Cyrus, both of whom work for Barca.
They are his expendable people, not the 'inner circle', so they don't care much about him and would gladly trade him for someone who might get them out of that shithole.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Crossbow-Guy from the prisoner-rebels (Ardoris? Forgot the name, oops) is a pretty sweet backliner and be flexed as a backstabber or throwing-guy (tho low strength snubs this a bit). Quintis has been great for sharing incoming damage which I really need with my two ranged characters + Marcus. Suspect it's only a matter of time before he's gone, though - 35HP is hard to work with.

Shadenuat

Arcane
The three stooges are so bad I just used them as cannon fodder. Although if you carry around sword&shield guy he may live to use sky gladius and unique buckler, probably.
Marcus is basically Sulik, give him biggest hammer and stimulant and he can one-round most stuff.
Crossbow-Guy is nice, but Roxana replaces him since she's so overpowered when you get her.
The crafty grandpa is useless.
Talking Roxana and Ismail, I wonder where NPCs drank from fountain of skillpoints, because their amount of SP seems a bit over the top or even absurd (ranged and melee weapons, plus dodge, and secondary skills like alchemy and critical strike!)
Droid is p. fun but I take it you can't heal him? So he's just to finish a few fights with other droids.

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Of the three scrubs, I thought the sword dude was p useful once you kill Barca and get his sword. Could do a decent amount of damage and win 1v1 against a lot of guys. Of course, he still ended up dying fighting the first boss on the next level and wasn't worth reloading for.

Gulnar

Scholar
Quintus (the sword wielding ex-soldier you recruit at Barca's campfire) is shit. 8 str and 8 dex on a low constitution character are as useful as a motorbike for a tuna.
Otoh, i found Aroris very useful, even with his low defenses - just put him somewhere in the backline and enjoy having those 10+ damage torso shots tear enemies apart.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Talking Roxana and Ismail, I wonder where NPCs drank from fountain of skillpoints, because their amount of SP seems a bit over the top or even absurd (ranged and melee weapons, plus dodge, and secondary skills like alchemy and critical strike!)
I believe you receive less xp the more people you have in your party, and these npc's clearly just solo'd a lot. This means that for runs with decent charisma, you probably just want to replace people asap since they improve so slowly.

To update: Roxana is indeed really great, but it's still tempting to kill her for dat 25 sp...
Adromis is also a really good backliner for when you get him.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
11 hours playtime, and I've reached Ismail. That's what I get for making a 9 int hybrid and throwing away the world's only pickaxe, I suppose.

Anyway, Roxana is crazy strong. I forged her a heavy xbow and a pair of hand xbows. 3 head shots immediately, perhaps I can get more if I give her some of the +4 neurostims I made.

They are his expendable people, not the 'inner circle', so they don't care much about him and would gladly trade him for someone who might get them out of that shithole.

That's what I told myself, but it wouldn't hurt for them to say this. I mean, whether they're part of the inner circle or not, it's a bit weird to suddenly have 4 guys who will gladly go kill the king no questions asked.

EDIT:

This may be heresy, but I'm taking Silas instead of Ismael. I already have 9 alchemy on my main character, and I want a spear man to poke things away while Roxana shoots everyone in the face.

EDIT 2: Seriously, make the pickaxe a craftable item. How is it possible that I had the only pickaxe in the entire mine?

Last edited:

Mozg

Arcane
Does each fight give you a set amount of SP that gets divided between your dudes?

As in, in a four man team, does everyone get Fight SP/4, a three man team SP/3? Or does everyone get a set amount of SP independent of team size?

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Does each fight give you a set amount of SP that gets divided between your dudes?

As in, in a four man team, does everyone get Fight SP/4, a three man team SP/3? Or does everyone get a set amount of SP independent of team size?

I think it's independent of team size, and affected by intelligence.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
As in, in a four man team, does everyone get Fight SP/4, a three man team SP/3?

It used to be like that during the beta, but it was changed because it made solo runs ridiculously easy since you were getting 4X SPs. I don't know the current formula, but I do know that it's not "FightSP/#partymembers". I just did the first fight solo (it wasn't solo mode, I dismissed Marcus) and got 8 SPs. With Marcus I got 6 SPs. Larger teams get more total SPs, but less SPs per person atm.

Anyway, Roxana is crazy strong. I forged her a heavy xbow and a pair of hand xbows. 3 head shots immediately, perhaps I can get more if I give her some of the +4 neurostims I made.
Give her a dagger too. She is also an amazing melee fighter. If you knock people down near Roxana, using the dagger is much better, since you can get 3 arterial strikes with her 12 AP. Also, do try the Scoped Crossbow when you find it. :D

Mozg

Arcane
I asked the question in two different threads and got two different answers

How do you guys even sperg properly not knowing these things

Am I really going to test this

I did the ant fight near the beginning in the area with a pool and some alchemy harvest points.

Size 4 party: 10 points SP, divided 2/2/2/4
Size 3 party: 10 points SP, divided 3/3/4

Based on the fact that is the maximum amount of testing I am gonna bother with I think you split the same amount at size 3/4.

Since each point is generally worth more the more points you've already invested in a skill I think it's probably a bad idea to bother picking up the shitter NPCs around the campfire since I assume you eventually get someone better and they're sucking up SP.

Shadenuat

Arcane
There's a pickaxe in crafting supplies crate after Forge. Although it's probably not of much use since you can't turn iron into steel no? And you only get iron ingots from breaking the ore down.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
There's a pickaxe in crafting supplies crate after Forge. Although it's probably not of much use since you can't turn iron into steel no? And you only get iron ingots from breaking the ore down.
There are some alchemy ingredients as well.

I finished the game. In conclusion, roxana best. I'd even take her over the CHA10 exclusive companion.

The cha10 companion is pretty stronk, there's no doubt, but he can't be healed so you really have to take care of him. Can be a bit of a bother. Also he can't throw 5 poisoned pilums per turn(for those who can count, that's 55 damage + whatever the pilums do).

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
What's the deal with Roxane - I've seen someone told that you get 25 SP if yoy kill her outright or something.
What does it mean?

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
There are at least 2 pickaxes - one from first three victims, one from dead miner on a way to ants.

I think I "dropped" or otherwise lost the first two pickaxes early on while trying to organise my inventory. I just took the Forge, though, and am about to fight the enforcer. If there's another pickaxe... I guess I have a long walk back to get all those alchemical ingredients.

There are some alchemy ingredients as well.

Yep. I haven't used acid once.

What's the deal with Roxane - I've seen someone told that you get 25 SP if yoy kill her outright or something.
What does it mean?

I think they mean, you get 25 SP if you kill her during the encounters. Even though she's behind a barrier, you can hit her with spears or ranged weapons.

Either that, or they mean you get 25SP if you let her die from crucifixion. I don't know if she dies or just hangs around for the whole game, though, because I immediately recruited her.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Acid is really good in a couple of early fights when it's you versus one or two strong enemies. Towards the end when the enemies tend to number in the half dozen or more, it's not a good way to spend your ap. Can also use it to add a few points of damage to your liquid fires(although the rarity of rock oil ensures this is a very lategame thing).

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Acid is worth using against the constructs, since they are immune to everything else. But, yeah, 9/10 times your AP is better spent elsewhere.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Acid is worth using against the constructs, since they are immune to everything else. But, yeah, 9/10 times your AP is better spent elsewhere.
Except liquid fire, which immobilizes them for several turns and makes them easy pickings.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Acid is really good in a couple of early fights when it's you versus one or two strong enemies. Towards the end when the enemies tend to number in the half dozen or more, it's not a good way to spend your ap. Can also use it to add a few points of damage to your liquid fires(although the rarity of rock oil ensures this is a very lategame thing).

Yeah, where is the rock oil in this game? I just captured the forge, and I think the only place I saw rock oil was back at the start with the first Elder Scorpion. I got 4 units of it... maybe there was a little more in one of the captured stashes, but I doubt it.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, where is the rock oil in this game? I just captured the forge, and I think the only place I saw rock oil was back at the start with the first Elder Scorpion. I got 4 units of it... maybe there was a little more in one of the captured stashes, but I doubt it.
There's 4 rock oil in the optional scorpion area. There may be rock oil in one of the locked boxes (require crafting that I didn't have) or if you let Ismail die.

However, at the very end, less than a dozen fights from the finale, you'll get like 3-4 rock oil per fight. Quite a shame really.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I think they mean, you get 25 SP if you kill her during the encounters. Even though she's behind a barrier, you can hit her with spears or ranged weapons.
You mean I can kill her only with ranged? Hm, solo-melee...

Either that, or they mean you get 25SP if you let her die from crucifixion. I don't know if she dies or just hangs around for the whole game, though, because I immediately recruited her.
If you can get these 25 SP that way, that's better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom