Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM OpenXcom Thread

Farewell into the night

I played X-Piratez for the first time about 3 months ago. It is a work of a genius!

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
It really is the most retarded theme, with some of the best modding ever done

Endemic

Arcane
Dioxine at least made up a plausible reason for the female pirates, they're mutants that are above baseline humans in most ways (except research). The more risque screens can be modded out as well.

Endemic

Arcane
We're talking about a game where you can use mind control across the map with no explanation beyond innate ability and implants. ;)

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
We're talking about a game where you can use mind control across the map with no explanation beyond innate ability and implants. ;)

Oh, yes. This explains the reasoning behind your initial post very well.

"The theme is retarded"
"Yeah but its totally legit within the constraints imposed by the theme!"

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Which is also a pretty retarded mechanic. I hated that in the original xcom games.
There's no counterplay except for doing tedious, gimmicky crap, and that makes it a bad mechanic.
Xenonauts, for whatever reason, decided to copy it, and that hurts the game. I had to install a mod that changes it so that aliens could only mind control low morale units, and it became a lot more bearable.

One of the things nuX-Com did really well was how it handled psy-powers. Still OP, but at least there are actual restrictions in the form of cooldowns and LoS requirements, other than "lol, I see one member of your squad, I can mind control the guy who's behind two solid walls on the other side of the map!".

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
index.php

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,6423.0.html
TL;DR: Hold CTRL+SHIFT while clicking to auto shot to spray and pray when it's enabled.

ArchAngel

Arcane
A lot of great QOL enhancements but still nothing on the AI side of things?
Well Open Xcom has an option to turn on that lets AI pick up weapons from the ground after they dropped them (due to mind control or panic) so at least there is something.

axx

Savant
Speaking about Apocalypse; how is open-apocalypse shaping up?

Openapoc? The guy who did bulk of programming left, leaving the game full of bugs (like those cockroach infested houses you see on Discovery). He also had some argument with the creator of the Github page who's been MIA since. Development is now sporadic. Until the main guy returns there's no way we'll be playing a stable version for another 10 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s-kx2p_5Lc
OpenApoc Update 26.10.2017: Almost Fully Playable

The game is finally fully playable. Almost. We lack bribery and end of week funding/expenses, but other than that, you can start and finish the game without using cheats now. In this update, I showcase new stuff that I think haven't been covered before: stun and multi-split weapons, vehicle repair, agent healing and training, entering alien dimension for real this time, and so on. Also, we have a new person contributing, FranciscoDA, who has implemented item hover in transaction screen, which I also show. Great to have more people contribute to the project!

Maybe tomorrow, maybe 10 years. Just a few more micro-issues to take care of, I'm sure.

mwnn85

Savant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s-kx2p_5Lc
OpenApoc Update 26.10.2017: Almost Fully Playable
The game is finally fully playable. Almost. We lack bribery and end of week funding/expenses, but other than that, you can start and finish the game without using cheats now. In this update, I showcase new stuff that I think haven't been covered before: stun and multi-split weapons, vehicle repair, agent healing and training, entering alien dimension for real this time, and so on. Also, we have a new person contributing, FranciscoDA, who has implemented item hover in transaction screen, which I also show. Great to have more people contribute to the project!
It'll be great to see a version of OpenApoc arrive that's properly balanced around turn based mode.
Likewise address the (lack of) gameplay with the end game / alien world.
The game tends to end rather abruptly once you get the best aircraft.
Hopefully something can also be done with the alien models as they look like shit.
I'm sure that this will be modded extensively like OpenXcom.

The cityscape was ahead of it's time - I much prefer it to the geoscape.
And who doesn't like the mass destruction?

Got the game going under Arch Linux.
Wrote a small post about it here in case anyone wants to have a go under their chosen distro:
http://openapoc.org/threads/successful-compilation-under-arch-linux-with-gog.286/

Last edited:

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
I played X-Piratez for the first time about 3 months ago. It is a work of a genius!

Yeah.
I try it note expecting much but its really a work of the genius. Or madman.
Still its great.
Lore is greatly expanded and it mostly make sense or fit outside of some stuff. LOW LEVEL GAME IS STILL GREAT>

lightbane

Arcane
If you check the forums, watch out with Dioxine, the main modder, as he's always one step from freaking out.

I also recommend X-Files.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom