Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM OpenXcom Thread

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Wait, you didn't play Ironman?

I usually play Ironman Light, but that's in games where I feel I have control. X-COM constantly screwed me over with its LOS system, and always having 1 TU too little due to the soldier turning before shooting.
Now that I know the game and has beaten it, it's time for Ironman.

Try playing on Superhuman if you haven't already.

Doesn't higher difficulty levels just mean that the aliens have higher Accuracy?
If so it's just like HP bloat in many CRPGs, which I'm no fan of.
But if I were to replay the game I would use the Sneakier Aliens option and play it Iron Man, but use the "default" difficulty.
But I'm not sure what is default. Is it 2. Experienced or 3. Veteran?

Aliens have most of their stats increased + much more aliens per ship. Also some vague strategic AI changes.

It's nothing like simple HP bloat.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Congrats. Now go playing TFTD.

Replaying Xcom immediately would burn you out. Superior difficulties mean simply there is less space for mistakes and Aliens ramp up their attacks quite faster. I've had base attacks after Laser Rifles in Superhuman.

On the other hand, TFTD is quite similar, bar a tileset that I like a lot more and several choices that make it a far harsher beast to win. It's winnable in any case, simply.... a tad more complex. To make you understand without spoilers:

+ No Laser tech. You don't get unlimited ammo weaponry.
+ No smoke grenades. Ink grenades are bugged. And they don't work abovewater.
+ Two-maps missions. That means that several missions require to clear you two maps worthy of foes. Sometimes you get even 30-40 aliens.
+ Some enemies are considerably tougher. Luckily, spawn tables are borked.
+ While Xcom had "Better weapon, more ammo" TFTD works the opposite. More powerful weapons have less ammo and everything weights a ton. The most effective gun, the equivalent to the Plasma pistol, will get no ammo in a short while.
+ Bio Drones :lol::lol::lol:

So I played through the entire gaming without ever needing a second clip of ammo, never having a soldier's morale fail (even the low Bravery ones I used as scouts, and not counting Psionic attacks), nor having a base invaded (I saw some Battleships whizzing back and forth; were they searching for my bases?).
Did I miss something? Or did I just play too cautiously, or was I just lucky? I had a fair share of competent soldiers dying, so it was not like I played like a superman.

Xcom is not that hard if played smartly and on an adequate difficulty level. I may add that even Superhuman is not too harsh, if played with a bit of salt. Something like the basic Episodes of Doom: it's a given you play them in Ultra-Violence or Nightmare!.

Endemic

Arcane
Aliens' HP is always the same, but their other stats are noticeably increased (there is a massive difference between Beginner and Superhuman). They will attack and appear in greater numbers from the start, and be more aggressive strategically (including infiltration missions).

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Did someone figure out how to mod TFTD to another gui color scheme yet? The default one makes me nauseous.

baturinsky

Arcane
How am I supposed to play Piratez night missions? It's literally pitch black. And yet, somehow gals see where enemies are. But I can't even find which part of blackness is the enemy.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
How am I supposed to play Piratez night missions? It's literally pitch black. And yet, somehow gals see where enemies are. But I can't even find which part of blackness is the enemy.

Being able to see the game is popamole, GTFO. :)

Seriously, that's due to an engine limitation of Open X-Com, where on-screen brightness and in-game light levels and unit visibility are intrinsically linked. Your gals' surroundings could only by made brighter by having them emit light, but then that would make them visible from much farther away. It's something you just can't fix without rewriting the engine. Or somesuch, I'm not a programmer.

However, there are ways to work around it. Adapt your tactics, throw around plenty of torches, flaming arrows and electroflares. Also, IIRC recent versions came up with a script-based workaround, where certain armour types provide night vision, so you can wear one of those and see much better.

On the bright side if you throw flares/fire on the enemy you can spot them from clear across the map like in daytime. It's pretty OP on large open areas

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Where do I find the changes openxcom made to terror from the deep? The changelog only mentions the changes to 1.0.
Is the convoluted research tree fixed? I noticed magnetic navigation being available before encountering lobstermen. Also, explosives appear to deal little damage.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Also, how do I get into the watch towers?
Explosives or the hammer.

Also you can hold alt to see enemies in the darkness. Also, buy a fucking torch or flashlight, geeze. Or use molotovs like a boss.

Where do I find the changes openxcom made to terror from the deep? The changelog only mentions the changes to 1.0.
Is the convoluted research tree fixed? I noticed magnetic navigation being available before encountering lobstermen. Also, explosives appear to deal little damage.

I think it's just bug fixes (e.g. if you researched something out of a specific order techs would be permanently blocked). Magnetic Navigation early is normal for TFTD. Some early game enemies have a decent chance to survive grenades, especially terror units who aren't 2x2 in TFTD.

Endemic

Arcane
You probably got a bad roll for weapon damage. Although the aliens have significantly better armour on superhuman difficulty.

Anything with an explosive blast basically melts them. Arguably an oversight given how weak their under armor is combined with the 4x blast damage.

Endemic

Arcane
so I needed to spam magnablast grenades? K, I'll try that next time.
I had forgotten TFTD's tendency to throw damage sponges at you. Its worse than Enemy Within's sectopod.

Triscenes are easy. It's Bio-Drones you need to watch out for.

baturinsky

Arcane
Is Skyranger a practical joke in Piratez? I have not bought it, but from what Pedia says it's some kind of noob trap. What is it using for fuel?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
so I needed to spam magnablast grenades? K, I'll try that next time.
I had forgotten TFTD's tendency to throw damage sponges at you. Its worse than Enemy Within's sectopod.

Triscenes are easy. It's Bio-Drones you need to watch out for.

Eh, the only thing that's worrysome about drones is tthat they explode. At least the fuckers die when I shoot them.

Is Skyranger a practical joke in Piratez? I have not bought it, but from what Pedia says it's some kind of noob trap. What is it using for fuel?

It's slow, fuel is free. Back when you started with a way better ship I liked to sell it and buy a Skyranger, investing the profits in liquor.

Endemic

Arcane
Eh, the only thing that's worrysome about drones is tthat they explode. At least the fuckers die when I shoot them.

Triscenes have a whopping 144 frontal armour so you shouldn't be trying to shoot them (they're TFTD's sectopod). The weak spot is their hilariously bad 10 lower armour, making them highly vulnerable to explosives. The Bio-Drone has similar hitpoints but only ~30 armour, but they're much faster (I've cursed many a time when meeting them on ship terror missions).

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Oh, 144 frontal armor? That explains everything :negative:
I wish there was some sort of indicator that deals you if you are dealing damage. It doesn't have to be like in the newer games (though I do like that way), but maybe some sort of particle effect, like blood splatter / a special hit spark instead of the usual blue circle on impact.

Endemic

Arcane
Oh, 144 frontal armor? That explains everything :negative:
I wish there was some sort of indicator that deals you if you are dealing damage. It doesn't have to be like in the newer games (though I do like that way), but maybe some sort of particle effect, like blood splatter / a special hit spark instead of the usual blue circle on impact.

Get the MC reader, it should give you the alien's stats.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom