Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Open X-Com Genius Level Test (Ironman) - August, Mission 25

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
WhiskeyWolf is the only survivor from the original squad
Surprising that a Pole would survive the longest.

Dumbfuck
Codex 2012
Last mission took a toll. Down to just 12 guys, 9 fit for duty

The rookie
qvHxPhX.png

The squaddies

erACrTp.png

EUXgTol.png

8DoaRRw.png

GWfNfFa.png

The sergeants (one for each squaddie? personal trainer)

DHicuQB.png

rZAwQUW.png

GK899l8.png

LHEC8on.png

One captain

z0nDAnJ.png

The colonel

vW2xgCT.png

X-Com commander

paDRZF0.png

Fallen bros RIP

QYqF61C.png

Interesting note, the moment WhiskeyWolf dies Cleve becomes leader of the human resistance

Last edited:

Overboard

Arcane
Cometh the hour, cometh the man neanderthal.

Keep cloning me when my turn comes up.

Dumbfuck
Codex 2012
MISSION 19 (not 20), Terror Mission in Kinshasa

switched to a different video format

-only 9 dudes were fit for duty so I took the scout. Last time I did that, makes missions much too easy

-Edward R Murrow III died

MISSION 20, crash site in Kenya

-mutons... we actually do OK
-Zero Credibility III kills about 3-4 of them
-Nevill Jr nearly kills everyone by setting fire to the Skyranger...
-Average Manatee II has now become the top 'scoring' agent with 17 kills, more than WhiskeyWolf with 13

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yesss. Ignus wishesss to BURN. One day, Ignus will kill you all.

I mean, I, too, want 17 kills, and there is just not enought aliens.

Wait, does Power Armor not catch fire?

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ah, that moment at 9:24 - 9:38. I was all going "Do it! DO IT!! You know you want to!"

But no, the world was not yet ready for my ultimate GLORY. :(

Dumbfuck
Codex 2012
Ah, that moment at 9:24 - 9:38. I was all going "Do it! DO IT!! You know you want to!"

But no, the world was not yet ready for my ultimate GLORY. :(
LOL yeah... I noticed the trees and had second thoughts

I think anything can catch fire. I think I also need to tone down my pyromaniac tendencies, the light is useful but dealing with 3 guys running around on fire is not *

I was wondering what determines when the fire goes out, if it's better to stand still or run around or if that fans the flames

* also you can't heal them or do anything with the medikit since it isn't a bleeding wound

Dumbfuck
Codex 2012
4 missions, including base defence

MISSION 21, UFO recovery in Tchad, mutons

-not extremely interesting
-Random IV dies from reaction fire (I thought I could make that move since he hadn't reacted already thought alien was out of TUs)

MISSION 22, medium-sized UFO recovery near Great Lakes, US/Canada border

first turn is missing, thought it was recording

-note: smoke is EXTREMELY effective, sometimes that backfires... bumping into floaters every 2 squares

-had to take a break at this point

-deaths: sser II and Zombie Rotundus (reaction fire didn't trigger)

Dumbfuck
Codex 2012
MISSION 23, Haiti base invasion!

xQFeUbB.png

-this one was pretty cool. No warning, just popped up and had to deal with it. Not feeling confident...
-that's the manufacturing base, protecting 2 interceptors and 75 engineers. I bought 10 rookies which I didn't even look at months ago.

UBrJNx9.png

-at some point I must have transferred a few plasma rifles and pistols but that's all I had. Not even a single grenade

-good base design is a gigantic advantage. Also lucky it was only floaters

If anyone wants to keep one of these troopers I'll name them and transfer them to main base

vMyua7s.png

Aoqd4sl.png

bmwaFXy.png

lBqE8t0.png

IQXRRsq.png

An interception attempt on a Very Large UFO...

-sent all three of the Thunderstorms to repairs. Very close to losing one

MISSION 24, small UFO somewhere

-testing out the new Blaster Launcher
-got careless/lazy. Floaters + Blaster Bomb
-Joka III killed and Johannes stunned from grenade
-veteran hostergaard II killed by reaction fire when goes to investigate

Research update

JeVLdBG.png

48Ce95k.png

aaO3m9k.png

How long has this game been going on, not one mission with psi capable enemies yet?

"Yay, got a kill, gonna be a squaddie and start accumulating skills!" ... "Oh yeah, that's if I survive this mission." ... "Oh well, it was a nice dream while it lasted."

Btw, have the explosions always looked like skulls, I never noticed that back when I first played the game. This caught my attention years later in some vidia lp of playstation x-com1/ thought it was just different graphics for different platform at the time. Maybe I had animation speed too fast or something.

Last edited:

Jester

Arbiter
"Why i the hell should i be in first wave?" - Whined Jester - "Shouldn't some else take command of those rookies in team A?"
"Higher ups believe that sending someone with prior experience with xenos as team leader, will increase rookies survival rate. Know your enemy and such things." - CO answered.
"Yeah that's correct... if those fuckers didn't shoot first, make vivisection if you are still alive later." - remarked Jester. - "Cant we get remote controlled friging tank?"
"Getting your ass into clone vats is cheaper. After all we don't wish to damage something precious."
"My ass isn't?"
"No!" - CO smiled - "Ok, when we hit ground Jester throw smokescreen, and Random check our spy toy for contacts."

"For fuck sake." - Jester throw grenade, gas spread sufficiently in few seconds. - "Ok... scene prepared and camera is roling. Random brake your legs and try to leave some hot xeno ladies for us."
"Cant promise anything Jes, if you intend to take your time in plane. " - Random answered - ""Random taking point."
"Come on you cant blame me, after all stewardess is cute and there is still something left in liquor cabinet. " - Jester jested. - "I love business class. When i think that there are people who have fly few hours in uncomfortable seats i shiver."
"You don't like conditions? Whine to management and now move your ass, Random gave LZ clear." - CO ordered.
"Ain't i popular?" - Jester said while exiting the Skyranger.
"Thank you for choosing X-com air lines." - Jester heard in comms. "Your pilots sending their remarks from cosy cockpit." - Added copilot.
"Cockpit inhabited by two dicks. Random contacts?"
"Nothing for now Jes."
"Lets get this show on track. I hate myself for singing this but Jester takes point."
"Come on if we will get something like Geneva convention with aliens your singing will be baned."
"Taking into consideration they got fuckload of guns Random, it should be Hague convention." - remarked Jester
"Smart ass."
"Less talking more scouting Jester, Random Rambo watch his ass." - CO cut in.
"Yeah cos i don't have better things to watch than this guy ass."
"MOVE YOUR ASSES!" - Ordered CO
"You like it don't you? Come on Rand, our asses number one fan gave us order."

"Ground team A in position." Jester aimed Lazpistol at door of UFO. "Anything Rand?"
"Give me a sec, alien alloys are interfering with scanner... Ok one signal detected inside, but care this thing can be wrong."
"You don't say." - Jester took few deep breaths and activated door mechanism. There was one Floater behind wrecked power generator. -"SAY 'COW PROBING' TO MY LAZCAMERA MOTHER FUCKER!" - After burst fire ended Jester scoped rest of the room. - "One xeno downed by me. We got here Floater ship, there are 4 or 5 corpses inside including my speed date. Its wrecked... one of missiles probably punctured alloys and exploded inside... landing dint help. Power source and computers are beyond salvage, although we probably can get some elerium from them. Sser move your ass here... ok one UFO secured any more errands mum?"
"Check the building for xenos or witnesses. Smart will cover you, rest of team B will get there shortly."
"Double k, team A double time to building Smart is on cover duty.."

Team A start crossing the open field, but shortly after air was filled with sound of plasma discharge.
"Here is Jester, what the hell is going on?"
"Smart is dead, shots from corn field North East from your current position. Team B will try to get that xeno attention, team A flank the bastard." - CO commanded.
"Got it, guys fan out. I and Sser cover res..." - Jester words were swallowed by sound of plasma discharge. "SON OF A BITCH." - He was able to say before plasma started burning his uniform, followed by skin and internal organs. "haha i got my hot alien stuff." - Jester thought before pain changed into lasting darkness.

Later...
Part of X-com computer network.

Sender: Clone vats directior Sandra Eastside.
Receiver: Clone vats research facility manager Mike Barret.

Hi Mike.
You asked for one of our subjects for clone improvement project. We cant risk compromising the original soldier pattern. That is higher ups opinion on this, but there is a way. We will make exception to procedures and send you one of dead specimen. Try to keep it low key so other specimens don't find out, we would have to kill whole team in worst case. Here are data of your sucker.

Subject: Clone V. 1.0 Jonatan "Jester" Kowalski.
Former Classification: Part of X-com clone troops FEAR team.
Former Classification: Corpse scheduled for incineration.
Current classification: Part of Clone vats research facility project "SC".
Mission location: South China.

You will get access to his history files later. Hope that "Doc" will make some progress with this one, higher ups wish to see some results. Good luck Mike.

Sandra.

Ps. Had some time so cooked something, i am at 6 mission with this commentary. Hope that Jester will hit the field soon.

Dumbfuck
Codex 2012
Lost:

-some Polish woman (unnamed)
-Nevill Jr
-Tindrli (oops)
-Brazilian Slaughter III (nice reaction shot first)
-Azira Mk II

I really hate these combined crash/built-up sites, have to explore everywhere it feels like TFTD. Think it's a change which came with the Cultist mod (not seen any cultists yet, just crash sites take annoyingly longer)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom