Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Open Call for Reviews

Nice to know I am not the only slacker here:)

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
No one gave up their name for Deus Ex games yet ? Wow.
Actually about 3 people did it, but they all gave up later for one reason or another. Seriously, slow reviewers are still a plus. I would say that 40-50% of all people that promise me a review give up or suddenly stopped replying my e-mails, including some big shots I was very excited to have on-board.

Sometimes I wonder if they googled my name and found something shocking... I mean, besides Sawyer. :3

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
When are the reviews due ? I never wrote a review for a game (did for movies tho.), but it would be a shame to have nothing on Deus Ex. I would be ready to sacrifice myself to all the fans hate-mail if needs be.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I want to release the 300-page preview next month, so 30 days would be nice. But you can take like 2-3 months if you need.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
I finished replaying Deus Ex couple of weeks ago. I can try to do something about it. Plus I can easily finish Deus Ex HR in one week. Do you need to send me something, some kind of format ? I saw you have some on the first page of the thread, but do you have a template for this format ?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I finished replaying Deus Ex couple of weeks ago. I can try to do something about it. Plus I can easily finish Deus Ex HR in one week. Do you need to send me something, some kind of format ? I saw you have some on the first page of the thread, but do you have a template for this format ?
For Deus Ex I need a review about 4500 characters long. I don't have a strict style guide, all I ask is that you explain the game and why it's interesting in a way someone who never heard about it can understand. In Deus Ex case it's nice to give some backstory, talk about the development, the innovative design and its legacy.

If you need a reference, take a look at the 200-page preview. I think good examples for you are the Ultima IV, Dungeon Master, Dark Souls and Morrowind reviews.

Very cool project. Can I have the Last Remnant review?
Sure! It's a very complex game, but see if you can summarize it in 2600 characters. If not, I can expand it to a two-page review, about 5000 characters.

Fairfax

Arcane
For Deus Ex I need a review about 4500 characters long. I don't have a strict style guide, all I ask is that you explain the game and why it's interesting in a way someone who never heard about it can understand. In Deus Ex case it's nice to give some backstory, talk about the development, the innovative design and its legacy.

If you need a reference, take a look at the 200-page preview. I think good examples for you are the Ultima IV, Dungeon Master, Dark Souls and Morrowind reviews.

Sure! It's a very complex game, but see if you can summarize it in 2600 characters. If not, I can expand it to a two-page review, about 5000 characters.
Hmm...I'll give it a shot at ~2600, but my reviews are usually fairly long. I was also thinking of replaying Nox, and it seems to be open, but we'll see if you like this review first.

(Pode enviar MPs com instruções em pt também, se for o caso)

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I've had my review done for months now. I guess I should take screenshots too? What are the specs for those?
Have you sent me it? I don't recall seeing it :/

Screenshots should be in .png, at the highest possible resolution that doesn't fuck up the UI. Like, Oblivion I had to use 1280x1024 because the game was made for 4:3 resolutions, using 16:9 would stretch the UI.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Mass Effect 3 review - version 1.0.

I have decided to describe the ending controversy in one the side-blurbs. The second one will mention 'story' and 'shooter' modes.
I will send you the full version (with the blurbs and some corrections) via email.

Streamlining original Mass Effect's gameplay systems allowed its sequel to reach much higher commercial and critical success, so it was only natural that the third game would follow the same path. And this is exactly what happened. ME3 is a very iterative addition to the series, focusing on new content, polish and refinement in certain aspects. It even introduces a fresh batch of lore inconsistencies to supplement those already present in ME2, and is equally shameless about this.
The story is a direct continuation of Mass Effect 2's final DLC ('Arrival'), with Commander Shepard grounded on Earth (after apparently returning to active duty in System Alliance after his/her Spectre and Cerberus episodes) and facing a hearing regarding his warnings of Reaper invasion. Reapers show a sense of ironic humour and choose this exact moment to invade, forcing our hero to jump straight into action and once again take the fate of galaxy in his/her own hands and seek ways to defeat enemy, as well as gather allies for a counter-attack.
As usual, Shepard is aided in this task by a team of trustworthy companions, who are a mix of old friends returning from previous games and a few new faces, making for a diverse bunch with many skills to choose from and match to your style of gameplay and personal preferences. Almost all companions are potential 'love interests' (some only after installing DLC) to the point where it somewhat seems this feature was the priority for developers when deciding on the cast (the trend would continue into Bioware's next game - Dragon Age: Inquisition). Sadly, no Krogan party member is available this time.
Being the trilogy's finale, Mass Effect 3 offers resolutions and follow-ups to various story archs from previous game. Some of them are an impressive display of storytelling and attention to player choice, while others are somewhat lacklustre, with near-identical replacement characters showing up to take place of those who did not survive. Still, the sheer amount of effort put into creating a coherent player-affected narrative between the three games warrants respect, even if the results are not always spotless.
Mass Effect 3's gameplay is basically the same as it was in ME2, but more polished in every way. The action part feels better than ever with its gunplay easily on par with contemporary shooters and a variety of characters' abilities introducing another layer to the combat dynamic. All the classes have been changed and rebalanced, encouraging players to try out new builds and allowing for gameplay styles vastly different from the standard Gears of War template of the era. In addition, commander Shepard is now much less restricted when it comes to mission load-out and any class is able to use any weapon set as long as it stays below its weight limit. Weapons can also be customized by modifying them with various components, such as extended magazines or accuracy-improving scopes. These welcome change allows for some very interesting and fun combinations of guns and abilities.
Level design is a noticeable improvement over very linear corridors of ME2. While it still features mostly corridors that are mostly linear, there are now more open spaces, alternative paths and optional branches, exploring which usually nets a loot cache or additional story elements like datalogs. Sets of chest-high walls and crates are much less obvious this time, so you are not immediately alerted of an incoming firefight. All this makes the overall 'running around' experience more enjoyable and not just a forced delay between combat and dialogue. Levels are also more impressive from visual standpoint, with some truly awe-inspiring backgrounds, including beautiful alien city landscapes and Reapers wreaking havoc in the distance.
The game's audio layer is worth mentioning too, with music created by several composers, including Hollywood veteran Clint Mansell, and sound design rewarding playing the game with good audio setups. Voice acting is also superb, as per series tradition.
Mass Effect 3 caused a certain controversy on launch, due to one of the squad members being locked behind a Day#1 DLC (From Ashes), which is (to this day) not included with the base version of the game. Fans of the series will definitely want to play the third game with this and other DLC, especially the final one (Citadel), which serves as a send-off for Commander Shepard and will cause a surge of memories from previous parts.
Mass Effect trilogy is somewhat of a symbol of transition from 'old' to 'new' Bioware. While some (former) fans will always see it as a disappointment and unfulfilled promises, its successful formula of cinematic action-RPGs with strong squad members relationship element ensured the direction of future Bioware games, also influencing some more or less successful followers and copy-cats.

Fairfax

Arcane
Can I suggest a couple of games? I think Aarklash: Legacy and Grim Dawn could be added, even though the latter has not been released yet (full version coming later this year).
EDIT:
Also, Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader! :D

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Aarklash: Legacy is a good suggestion, I haven't played it yet. Grim Dawn let's wait for release. And Lionheart might be a good idea, even if only as a warning.

Fairfax

Arcane
Aarklash: Legacy is a good suggestion, I haven't played it yet. Grim Dawn let's wait for release. And Lionheart might be a good idea, even if only as a warning.
Aarklash is pretty much all combat, but I liked it. What you see is what you get, so it doesn't mislead anyone, no illusions of grandeur.
Lionheart has historical value, it was the last Interplay/Black Isle published CRPG. Also the only non-Fallout game to use SPECIAL, and it feels like a cancelled game that we got to play, if that makes any sense.

Fairfax

Arcane
That's the most accurate description of it I ever read. Don't you want to write the review yourself? We'll do it a one page quickie, just 2300 characters / 400 words.
Sure! Should have it ready before the Last Remnant one.

I have a reservation about having Dragonfall only as a mention in DMS review. It offers a superior experience, is standalone, is longer, is different, is better. Would review it.

Fairfax

Arcane
Nox is simple, straightforward fun as I remember it. :) Too bad the game speed changes with the framerate, though.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I assume you could add Dex to the games to review. He deserves it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom