Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Open Call for Reviews

Alchemist

Arcane
Why not automate it to backup continuously as file changes are made? That way you never lose any work. Crashplan is free if you use a local drive or other networked computer.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've been backuping regularly each month, so the loss wasn't that big... bit I should change to a bi-weekly backup from now on.
Dropbox is just a folder you save to and it auto diffs and uploads to it's servers. You get version control and instant backups (well as fast as your internet is). It's free up to 2 gb worth of data.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Talk about forgetting something relevant. :oops:

I finished 2 out of my 4 assigned reviews, I think waiting a year before continuing has actually been a good thing, with octavius doing a Dungeon Master review there may be reason for me to revisit my EoB review and finally touch up and finish the other ones.

I'll take a closer look today and catch up with this.

Adamaklas

Literate
Don't know if someone mentioned it , but you should play Lion Heart: Legacy of the Crusader!

zwanzig_zwoelf

I'll probably get slapped for forgetting about my Summoner review again, but in my defense I was overthinking my current position towards the series, which is a good thing, since rose tint wore off from my sight and I can safely lambast the drawbacks without feeling too guilty about it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
KOTC review: https://twitter.com/felipepepe/status/618770662962917377

CJZQo1CWgAAWyOJ.png:orig

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I don't think so. To be honest, if I had ever heard of this game before, I have completely forgotten about it.

This is a very nice article about the game, the tragic events it explores and the controversy around it.

And in more ways than one, it can be considered the origin of all these shitty "exposition trumps gameplay" non-games that the gaming industry has been plagued with for the past 3 years or so.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
And in more ways than one, it can be considered the origin of all these shitty "exposition trumps gameplay" non-games that the gaming industry has been plagued with for the past 3 years or so.
That was my implicit point, glad it came across. The big difference, of course, is that SCMRPG! is really well-made, both research-wise and in how it uses the medium to nail its point. And it bravely touches on a REALLY controversial subject. Hell, the guy had the balls to list the two killers also as victims of the shooting, as kids who also lost their lives on that day. When you play this game and then watch the media coverage of the shootings and documentaries like Bowling for Columbine, you realize they are all just demonizing the two boys and trying to find someone to blame for them, or a way to push their agenda further... this fucking RPG Maker game cuts deeper than any of those.

Next to this, stuff like Depression Quest is almost meaningless. All those journos listing Depression Quest as "one of the most influential games of all time" because of how "brave" it is just prove what a joke this industry is.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
How about this:

The gameplay is very similar to Ultima VI – those familiar with it will feel right at home with the clunky UI, turn-based combat system and day/night NPC schedules. The new crafting system is robust, allowing you to skin animals, use ovens to bake clay pots and even grind sulphur, charcoal and potassium nitrate to make gunpowder. Another big difference is the magic system; the Avatar must make spirit offerings to cast a rather limited amount of spells (only 9 in total).

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
felipepepe I started writing ME3 review, but I am not really feeling it and it is turning out really bland (IMO). Should I review it mostly as a follow up to ME1&2 (comparisons) or rather on its own merits? I went with the former approach, and that might be the cause for the blandness problem. The latter approach seems to have more potential, but it will probably end up with a lot of repeated information from ME1&2 reviews.

Streamlining original Mass Effect's gameplay systems allowed its sequel to reach much higher commercial and critical success, so it was only natural that the third game would follow the same path. And this is exactly what happened. ME3 is a very iterative addition to the series, focusing on new content, polish and refinement in certain aspects. It even introduces a fresh batch of lore inconsistencies to supplement those already present in ME2, and is equally shameless about this.
The story is a direct continuation of Mass Effect 2's final DLC ('Arrival'), with Commander Shepard grounded on Earth (after apparently returning to active duty in System Alliance after his/her Spectre and Cerberus episodes) and facing a hearing regarding his warnings of Reaper invasion. Reapers show a sense of ironic humour and choose this exact moment to invade, forcing our hero to jump straight into action and once again take the fate of galaxy in his/her own hands and seek ways to defeat enemy, as well as gather allies for a counter-attack.
As usual, Shepard is aided in this task by a team of trustworthy companions, who are a mix of old friends returning from previous games and a few new faces, making for a diverse bunch with many skills to choose from and match to your style of gameplay and personal preferences. Almost all companions are potential 'love interests' (some only after installing DLC) to the point where it somewhat seems this feature was the priority for developers when deciding on the cast (the trend would continue into Bioware's next game - Dragon Age: Inquisition). Sadly, no Krogan party member is available this time.
Being the trilogy's finale, Mass Effect 3 offers resolutions and follow-ups to various story archs from previous game. Some of them are an impressive display of storytelling and attention to player choice, while others are somewhat lacklustre, with near-identical replacement characters showing up to take place of those who did not survive. Still, the sheer amount of effort put into creating a coherent player-affected narrative between the three games warrants respect, even if the results are not always spotless.
Mass Effect 3's gameplay is basically the same as it was in ME2, but more polished in every way. The action part feels better than ever with its gunplay easily on par with contemporary shooters and a variety of characters' abilities introducing another layer to the combat dynamic. All the classes have been changed and rebalanced, encouraging players to try out new builds and allowing for gameplay styles vastly different from the standard Gears of War template of the era. In addition, commander Shepard is now much less restricted when it comes to mission load-out and any class is able to use any weapon set as long as it stays below its weight limit. Weapons can also be customized by modifying them with various components, such as extended magazines or accuracy-improving scopes. These welcome change allows for some very interesting and fun combinations of guns and abilities.
Level design is a noticeable improvement over very linear corridors of ME2. While it still features mostly corridors that are mostly linear, there are now more open spaces, alternative paths and optional branches, exploring which usually nets a loot cache or additional story elements like datalogs. All this makes the overall 'running around' experience more enjoyable and not just a forced delay between firefights and dialogues. Levels are also more impressive from visual standpoint, with some truly awe-inspiring backgrounds, including beautiful alien city landscapes and Reapers wreaking havoc in the distance.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I don't see any problem wih the current version MicoSelva , it's an interesting read and describes the game well. I guess now you cover the ending, the 3-color drama (maybe the endocrination theory) and some final words about ME's impact in the gaming world.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
By the way, felipepepe, if Cobbett still wants to do Escape from Hell, let him have it. I've been so busy (and my mind has been so preoccupied by other things) lately that I can't even focus on writing anything during the weekends. It is a shame, of course, but I'd rather not have you wait another several months for my review. Plus, I still have Wiz 1-3 and Planet's Edge to write about.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Gaming journalism mole - recruited
Very effective too, after he retweeted that I got two new volunteers. BTW, he also wrote this:

9SwWI7I.jpg

By the way, felipepepe, if Cobbett still wants to do Escape from Hell, let him have it. I've been so busy (and my mind has been so preoccupied by other things) lately that I can't even focus on writing anything during the weekends. It is a shame, of course, but I'd rather not have you wait another several months for my review. Plus, I still have Wiz 1-3 and Planet's Edge to write about.
Sad to hear about that, hope thing improve. :(

But Cobbett is done, two free reviews out of a guy that does this for a living is good enough for me. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom