Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

only a codexer would have these..

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
God DAMN this thread makes me jealous! Oh well - it's probably too expensive to start collecting old boxes now, but I did pick up these two bad boys recently. :)

0wBfYMw.jpg

Owl

Cipher
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
You know, I like to think of them as time capsules. Sometimes I imagine that some day, when I grow old, I'm going to open my sealed Mechwarrior 2 or Ultima Underworld box, and smell the the sweet aroma of the golden age of pc gaming.

:smug:

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
You know, I like to think of them as time capsules. Sometimes I imagine that some day, when I grow old, I'm going to open my sealed Mechwarrior 2 or Ultima Underworld box, and smell the the sweet aroma of the golden age of pc gaming.

:smug:

This guy gets it.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Owl: The images of my collection seem to have fixed themselves, you should be able to see them now.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
huh, what kind of Albion release is that? limited? my box dont have the "3D" cut-out thing.

I bought it from some guy in the States - looks like it might've been released both in the UK and US. The box I had in my childhood and bought in Estonia looked the same. AFAIK the German version didn't have the cut-out, I dunno about other editions.

Here's the back:
2xbZKOt.jpg

Luzur

Good Sir
huh, what kind of Albion release is that? limited? my box dont have the "3D" cut-out thing.

I bought it from some guy in the States - looks like it might've been released both in the UK and US. The box I had in my childhood and bought in Estonia looked the same. AFAIK the German version didn't have the cut-out, I dunno about other editions.

Here's the back:
2xbZKOt.jpg

guess i have a european version then, since it have english text, i also had a version with just a plain green box with Albion written on it, but i traded it for Stronghold (SSI) some years ago.

Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
My collection of boxed copies.

The archive:

kdw8aja4.jpg

waa6urkk.jpg

goae6ybt.jpg

m3pafmqp.jpg

rjgrkmwp.jpg

47dnrqry.jpg

A selection of personal favourites:

System Shock 1

eugaya4k.jpg

System Shock 2 (First Edition with nifty bling bling cover artwork)

jjk6pkc6.jpg

3z54g4d2.jpg

8zzaxb7p.jpg

The German version of Thief Gold. Really glad I held onto that one, the German translation is ace and you can't get it anywhere else.

ve9pug7u.jpg

Hell yeah! Hell On Earth in a big box!

cio6mwmx.jpg

quyxjs4f.jpg

ss3r4yyc.jpg

6bdlx9dm.jpg

9zrjhfxp.jpg

Now THAT'S how you advertise a game!

9wdltccp.jpg

Rarities and curiosities:

Taiwanese version of Space Quest V.

pjoty3i4.jpg

The Roberta Williams Anthology - This sells for 80+ bucks on ebay. The poor sap that sold it on amazon asked 89 Yurocents for a sealed copy. I couldn't help but take advantage of that. Despite being made up almost entirely of cutesy, kitschy King's Quest games, this carries an 18+ age certificate because it geatures the (gore-free) 1st chapter of Phantasmagoria.

upidp78k.jpg

Rare big box version of Stranglehold. Even the most atrocious popamole dreck is somewhat redeemed when it has Chow Yun-Fat in it.
2unx7f6z.png

yak2s8n7.jpg

The Shat did his very own Doom clone back in the mid-90s. Based on his TekWar series of novels (you might've heard of those in The Simpsons).

3crmvrel.jpg

Wait, wait, wait... so you're telling me Steven Spielberg did a piece of FMV edutainment software that teaches kids how to bring in a blockbuster for unter $40 million?

And the thing features Jennifer Aniston and motherfucking Quentin Tarantino?

:takemyjewgold:

svox7jd5.jpg

vzvz5c3u.jpg

The pits:

5jhnr9av.jpg

Unfortunately, I do not own the big boxes for Fallout 1 and 2. :negative:

I do have the sorta cool reversible jewel case thingy that I picked up in a WalMart while on vacation. Which means that I own the fully uncensored Kwa-versions of those games. That's got to count for something, I guess.

tumblr_mlxm93KUoe1rvdee4o1_400.gif

Last edited:

bylam

Funcom
Developer
I left all my stuff in my mother's garage when I moved overseas, safely packed in boxes. This included all SSI gold box and Darksun and Ravenloft games, BG1,2 IWD 1,2 Arcanum, Fallout 1, 2, Deus-ex and so on. Betrayal at Krondor in original box. Bards Tale trilogy for c64. Everything.

Last time I was home (about 2 years ago) I went out to the garage to check on my collection. The boxes with my games were gone (but the boxes with all of my books were still there). My mother didn't know anything about it (according to her) so I asked my sister about it.
"Oh yeah" She says and dashes off to the study. She comes back with one of those fucking CD wallets, those stupid things designed to hold a 100 cds. "I figured you only needed the discs"

Honestly it's pissing me off just thinking about it.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I remember that Blade Runner game. I never got to finish it because some kind of bug near the end of the game... That game is nowhere to be found now, right?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I left all my stuff in my mother's garage when I moved overseas, safely packed in boxes. This included all SSI gold box and Darksun and Ravenloft games, BG1,2 IWD 1,2 Arcanum, Fallout 1, 2, Deus-ex and so on. Betrayal at Krondor in original box. Bards Tale trilogy for c64. Everything.

Last time I was home (about 2 years ago) I went out to the garage to check on my collection. The boxes with my games were gone (but the boxes with all of my books were still there). My mother didn't know anything about it (according to her) so I asked my sister about it.
"Oh yeah" She says and dashes off to the study. She comes back with one of those fucking CD wallets, those stupid things designed to hold a 100 cds. "I figured you only needed the discs"

Honestly it's pissing me off just thinking about it.
How did you hide the body?

pippin

I like big boxes and I cannot lie. I wish I had a steadier income.

I really don't understand this hoarder instinct, why have sealed copies?

It's probably the collector thing. Also sealed boxes are more expensive than "used" ones, and sometimes by a large margin.
A friend of mine collects action figures and always buys two of each; one to be open and the other stays sealed.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Holy crap, I bought the budget re-re-release of Blade Runner for $3 here in Iceland years ago, and you're telling me I could sell it on eBay for multiple that amount?

Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Holy crap, I bought the budget re-re-release of Blade Runner for $3 here in Iceland years ago, and you're telling me I could sell it on eBay for multiple that amount?

Theoretically, yes. However the thing sells for a mere 2 bucks on Kwamazon, so it's not like every single copy automatically nets you $50, as was the case with Shock 2 a few years ago.

Besides, why would you even consider selling it? The rights situation for this game is probably as screwed up as you can get. We're dealing with defunct companies like Westwood here, plus whatever vultures that managed to pick Westwood's corpse clean. Then there's EA, Warner Bros, possibly Virgin and worst of all the bloody Blade Runner Partnership - you know, the guys who delayed the proper CE release of the film for nearly a decade - and God knows who else. A digital rerelease seems somewhat unlikely, to say the least.

As far as video game adaptations of movies go, Blade Runner is hands down (one of) the best. You don't give that away hoping for a quick buck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom